PDA

View Full Version : UMass picks up another DLineman

umassfan
June 8th, 2005, 01:36 AM
UMass picks up another Dlineman to help us with our run D. Should be a nice bookend to Keron Williams who will likely be preseason all A10.

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/powell_patrick00.html

colgate13
June 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM
yikes... Is he projected to play a lot/start right away?

Kosty
June 8th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I think this is a surprise announcement to UMass fans so I don't know what the speculation is about playing time right off the bat.

justballn21
June 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
wow thats a great pick-up for Umass. Good size and speed should make him a serious threat.

umassfan
June 8th, 2005, 02:39 PM
yikes... Is he projected to play a lot/start right away?

Well he will be joining the team come fall semester so he didnt have a chance to be with the team for spring pratice... because of that it may take him a couple weeks into the season before he starts. From what im told, this kid is a beast and a QB hunter. with him and Williams bookending our line, Donny Bs D of terror will be back. But then again no thing is a sure thing so I just hope it works out.

Kosty
June 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM
If I'm reading that right, the kid will have 4 years left. WOW! Great pickup. Even more encouraging after reading what UMassFan had to say about him being a beast.

umassfan
June 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
If I'm reading that right, the kid will have 4 years left. WOW! Great pickup. Even more encouraging after reading what UMassFan had to say about him being a beast.

I do believe he has 3 years left but I could be mistaken. We like to pick up transfers that have alot of time left to play so they wont be one and done players that cant grow in the system. At worst case with him... he adds depth to a weakness of last year. I cant wait for this season to start!

GannonFan
June 9th, 2005, 12:48 AM
All we know is he has good size - beyond that, he never played at Maryland (only there the one year) so all we have to go on is high school accolades, which frankly most anyone at the IAA level has many of. He could be good, he could ride the bench - we really don't know. UD had a LB out of Louisville, came in with 3 years left and had left a pretty good Louisville defense and had actually played some special teams, and he never cracked the UD starting line-up in those 3 years. We'll have to find out later this year, and as already noted, with him only reporting in the fall, it'll be awhile before he even has a chance to have an impact.

Tribe4SF
June 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
If he's good, he'll have an immediate impact. He's had two years of coaching at DE and transitioning to new terminology will not take long. I doubt UMass teaches technique that will be new to him. The question would be why he didn't play at all for Maryland last year. It would seem that he didn't see himself playing there in the future, either.

Any way you cut it, it's another potential positive for UMass.