PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2013 Preseason FCS All-American Team

FootballCEO
May 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2G2RXFCVzQ

Good afternoon Gang! Here's my 2013 Preseason FCS All-American Team

Enjoy!

P.S.

We're thisclose to it being football season!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the work Emory. I bet some are gonna disagree with ya on here. xlolx

FootballCEO
May 25th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the work Emory. I bet some are gonna disagree with ya on here. xlolx

Anytime Cap'n! Oh I already know lol

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I would not have Sellers or Cameron Williams on this list. Cameron Williams is barely a first-team All-MEAC guy. Dakota Dozier is a player that I don't get people not valuing. He's going to be a big time NFL prospect because he's one of the best linemen in FCS. Billy Kistler, Dakota Dozier,

Sean Price is a better WR than Walter Powell. Powell is more of an all-purpose guy.

Funny you mention AC Leonard and the NFL because he is one I'm told may declare for the NFL Draft this year. Apparently agents have gotten in his ear and a couple other players. I hope coaches begin to put a stop to these agents getting to these players so early and trying to talk them into coming out. Cameron Foster did that to Brandon Kaufman and things like that are just picking up. Expect more FCS players to declare for the NFL Draft over the next 3 years than they have in the previous 5 years. So far only Cameron Foster has lured players out like the two EWU players but it's going to pick up. I keep hearing buzz that players are considering declaring.

Caraun Reid and Zach Kerr are two players you need to take a stronger look at. They are considered the better players by scouts and myself.

At LB why did you not pick Jordan Tripp or Tyler Starr? Both of them are big athletic freaks. Tripp is going to have a huge, I think.

I would have taken Walter Powell at the RS spot over Spencer Nelson.

blueballs
May 27th, 2013, 10:44 AM
No Jerick McKinnon???????

813Jag
May 27th, 2013, 10:53 AM
anyone having problems viewing the video?

uofmman1122
May 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I can see why he'd put Zack Browning in ahead of Jordan Tripp, though I think Tripp is a much better LB.

Browning has the luxury of being the only good LB on that team, whereas Tripp has to share duties with equally talented LBs in Brock Coyle and JP Kanongata'a.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I can see why he'd put Zack Browning in ahead of Jordan Tripp, though I think Tripp is a much better LB.

Browning has the luxury of being the only good LB on that team, whereas Tripp has to share duties with equally talented LBs in Brock Coyle and JP Kanongata'a.

Browning has good numbers but like you said if you watch Tripp he's the better player. Not saying Browning won't be but he is still young and has time. This is Tripp's time right now. He's the best LB in FCS in my opinion.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2013, 01:37 PM
No Jerick McKinnon???????

I can see why he isn't on a preseason team but if your OL keeps people off him I believe he should end up on the postseason team.

EKU-n-GSU
May 27th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I can see why he isn't on a preseason team but if your OL keeps people off him I believe he should end up on the postseason team.

Along with an OL or two. One has already made another preseason AA list and Lindy's 2nd team all FCS. I think we'll do just fine.

SUPharmacist
May 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Marcus Williams gambles too much, I think he is gonna get burned a lot more this year.

blueballs
May 27th, 2013, 07:24 PM

I can't. The dude is coming off a season where he ran for over 1800 yards and 20 TD's.

There's not another player returning that out up anything approaching those numbers against the competition he did.... and GSU has basically 20 out of 22 on the offensive two deep so there's no reason to think that production will decrease.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Marcus Williams gambles too much, I think he is gonna get burned a lot more this year.

He got burned a lot in the playoffs. He is a good player and deserves first-team but I think people are going to be surprised how low he is rated by the NFL scouts. The media will begin to start rating him lower over the next two months when the media starts to find out scouts have him rated more as a free agent based on his play in 2012.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I can't. The dude is coming off a season where he ran for over 1800 yards and 20 TD's.

There's not another player returning that out up anything approaching those numbers against the competition he did.... and GSU has basically 20 out of 22 on the offensive two deep so there's no reason to think that production will decrease.

I agree with you but you have to consider what the preseason is. McKinnon put up very good numbers in the playoffs and while he should have been 2nd-team All-SoCon he is still going to only enter the year 2nd team by the coaches.

One thing I'll say is that people may find coming up that myself and the NFL scouts like McKinnon more than Marcus Williams and many other big names. McKinnon is a dynamic player who I would personally project to win the Walter Payton if GSU players were eligible.

I have Williams with a 7th-PFA round projection and McKinnon as a 5th-6th round projection right now. Scouts really like McKinnon. I understand why most aren't picking him so high in the preseason but I think he will be there when the season is over, which we all know is when it really counts. Let's just hope he doesn't get hurt.

slostang
May 27th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Nice work Emory.

A few Cal Poly defensive players to keep an eye on are:

Sr LB Johnny Millard(son of former All-Pro Keith Millard) 6-3 240. Millard will be 4 year starter at Cal Poly and has a great combination of size, speed and a high football IQ. He is a stud and is the leader on defense for Cal Poly.

Sr DT Sullivan Grosz (6-4 280). Grosz is a former high school LB who is cat quick with good size and great strength. Grosz faced constant double teams most of the season last year and still had 57 tackles, 5 sacks and 5 QBHs playing with a bad shoulder. He is healthy heading into 2013 and I expect big things from Sullivan.

Sr CB Bijon Samoodi (5-9 185). Bijon made a few 2012 preseason All-American teams before sitting out the season and redshirting (played as a true freshman) to recover from an injury. He will be back in 2013 and the coaches expect big things from Bijon. So do I.

uofmman1122
May 27th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Browning has good numbers but like you said if you watch Tripp he's the better player. Not saying Browning won't be but he is still young and has time. This is Tripp's time right now. He's the best LB in FCS in my opinion.Whoop whoop! I'll take your opinion as a pretty good endorsement. xthumbsupx

By the way, seeing as how other people have brought it up, what's the chatter on Tripp's draft stock?

FootballCEO
May 27th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks Gang!! I've been carrying the Jeff Mathews flag since last season.. what are you guys' thoughts on him?

seantaylor
May 28th, 2013, 02:16 AM
McKinnon is the best player in the FCS. Same old song and dance. Our QB's don't get the cred because we don't pass. Still doesn't make sense. I would take JM over any QB in the FCS. Will be even much better this season with a full season as the number one guy.

813Jag
May 28th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks Gang!! I've been carrying the Jeff Mathews flag since last season.. what are you guys' thoughts on him?
Great work! There's finally some buzz in Baton Rouge, just want your opinion on Dray Joseph and Lee Doss (obviously it'll take monster seasons to get recognized due to competition level)

Bisonator
May 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
McKinnon is the best player in the FCS. Same old song and dance. Our QB's don't get the cred because we don't pass. Still doesn't make sense. I would take JM over any QB in the FCS. Will be even much better this season with a full season as the number one guy.

Pretty strong homer opinion there. xnonono2x

McKinnon is very good for an option QB, but come on man! xlolx

knucklehead
May 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
UM Kevin Fogg? UM Malcolm Boyd? And I expect Nick Sigmon will make himself heard as well.

THE HERD
May 28th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I find it crazy that at least one of our D-lineman and especially our DT's didn't even sniff second team! Our D-line is what makes our defense great period! I know there are a lot of great players across the country, but not one D-lineman off the best D in FCS two years running??

TheRevSFA
May 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Man I'm glad these other people complaining about his picks are making videos and such of their predictions....oh wait.

MarkyMark
May 28th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Glad to see Shakir Bell on 1st team.

NDSU safeties Heagle and maybe Dudzik should get post season recognition. I would have had Heagle on this list.

Not sure why you would include a player that won't play this Fall??? There are a ton of great FCS offensive linemen out there that don't get enough recognition.

Lets be done with ODU and good luck to them in FBS. ODU players are getting recognized by Phil Steele's list of FBS independent programs. ODU has extra scholarships this year and really does not belong in FCS anymore. Leave App. and GSU players off next years list as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 28th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I find it crazy that at least one of our D-lineman and especially our DT's didn't even sniff second team! Our D-line is what makes our defense great period! I know there are a lot of great players across the country, but not one D-lineman off the best D in FCS two years running??

I actually see that as a compliment as to the way that group plays as a team/unit and it's hard to pick out an indvidual.

uofmman1122
May 28th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Man I'm glad these other people complaining about his picks are making videos and such of their predictions....oh wait.
If he couldn't handle the criticism he's received, he wouldn't have made the video in the first place.

And it's all just opinions. His opinion is highly respected because he has the expertise and experience to back it up, not simply because he made a video, but even then it doesn't make him immune to criticism.

Bisonator
May 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM

It's Bison football. Do your job and trust your teammates next to you to do theirs. They probably don't get the "star" treatment that players on other teams get, but they earn rings together!

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 28th, 2013, 01:40 PM
PL has two really good WR's, Lee Kurfis (Lehigh) and Pat Ross (Lafayette). At least one of them will end up on the final TSN AA list.

bjtheflamesfan
May 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Id like to join knucklehead in questioning why Malcolm Boyd, Kevin Fogg and Nick Sigmon didnt get any mention. Fogg, prior to his foot injury last season was one of the most dangerous kick returners in the country, and is also one of the top cover corners in the conference heading into 2013. Sigmon was all over the field last year and probably is an early favorite for conference defensive PoY along with Goods from G-W, and Boyd is a stalwart on the line who is also coming off injury but certainly should be considered among the top OL in the country and an NFL prospect

FootballCEO
May 28th, 2013, 03:36 PM
It goes to show you that the talent level in the FCS is outstanding! Loving the debate and feedback!

blueballs
May 28th, 2013, 04:38 PM
It goes to show you that the talent level in the FCS is outstanding! Loving the debate and feedback!

I certainly agree with that... it seems like it is getting deeper and deeper every year.

Houndawg
May 28th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Good job spotting Mycole Pruitt from SIU. Not much help from his QB but he can really get down the field from TE. SIUs sleeper this year will be Travis Williams OLB - last year he backed up Jayson Dimanche who signed an FA contract and there was no, or very little, drop off when he was in.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 28th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I certainly agree with that... it seems like it is getting deeper and deeper every year.

I'm sure glad you are around bb. A sage that knows his stuff is always a welcome voice around here in the summer. xlolx

THE HERD
May 29th, 2013, 08:58 AM
I actually see that as a compliment as to the way that group plays as a team/unit and it's hard to pick out an indvidual.

I agree they play very well together, but there has to be a degree of talent there before that matters at all. All that I am saying is that our Dline is clearly the strength of our D the last two to three years and it isn't even close.....they are what makes it all go. So you would think that is where you would start looking as far as All American status goes, but I would rather have the rings than any pre or post season accolades. Honestly I think there are about 5 guys on our D that are good enough to make all american, that will never happen, but I believe the talent is there. I also know there are many players across the country that are deserving of that recognition as well, so it is what it is, but bottom line is that this Bison D the last couple years is exceptional and you don't achieve the eye popping overall defensive stats they have with just good coaching and playing well together.....the talent needs to be there first to make those first two things matter. Obviously the Bison D has all three. Is it football season yet???

Houndawg
May 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Good job spotting Mycole Pruitt from SIU. Not much help from his QB but he can really get down the field from TE. SIUs sleeper this year will be Travis Williams OLB - last year he backed up Jayson Dimanche who signed an FA contract and there was no, or very little, drop off when he was in.

Oops. #24 is Travis Williamson - remember the name.

blueballs
May 29th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'm sure glad you are around bb. A sage that knows his stuff is always a welcome voice around here in the summer. xlolx

Thanks for the kind words!

Panther88
May 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM

+1. I agree. NDSU has a GREAT team.

Also, FBGP, I think Prairie View's Spencer Nelson just graduated. However, there is a freshman from Baton Rouge who handled the punt returns/kickoff returns before his mid-season injury. He was voted the SWAC Freshman of the Year, I believe (Johntae Hebert). That kid is 101% legit.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Dakota Dozier a 2nd team OG? First he should be a first-teamer for sure but he plays tackle. You talk about him as a guard when talking NFL and the All-America team should honor them for college accomplishments and not project.

A lot of other mistakes. Chris Elkins moves to center this year. Spencer Nelson graduated.

I like Mathews as well but 2nd best behind Bridgewater? No way you can state that until he shows it against FBS competition in an all-star game. I would never say an FCS player, let alone one from a league outside the top 4 (MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, SoCon) belongs at #2 at his position until I saw him in an all-star game, except for maybe a kicker or punter.

On D2 there are a lot of mistakes on the team. He has Lemar Durant as a junior, he is a sophomore. I think he really looked around at draft websites who has Brandon White ranked at one time because that kid was not even All-Gulf South and yet he projects first-team All-America.

Scott Simonson doesn't have NFL scouts drooling either. He is a free agent type prospect. Scouts only drool when it comes to high draft picks.

He has Tino Tuilata on his list and he won't even play this year.

Did you forget Joe Don Duncan from Dixie State? He is a legit NFL prospect and better one than Simonson or Jordan if you are looking for someone who may be able to play in the NFL.

On the NAIA team you overlooked Willie Gibson. Have to watch his film to truly know how good he is. He can fly and is probably one of the most underrated all-purpose players in the nation. He ran very well at his junior pro day and both the scouts from the spring really liked his upside.

Emory, I appreciate your efforts but you need to fact check information. There are several errors with two players on your lists who aren't even playing this year. You list 2 OTs, 2 OGs, and then an OL who I would assume should be a C but there is not one listed on the 2nd team.

ODU Oldtimer
June 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Lets be done with ODU and good luck to them in FBS. ODU players are getting recognized by Phil Steele's list of FBS independent programs. ODU has extra scholarships this year and really does not belong in FCS anymore. Leave App. and GSU players off next years list as well.

Just for your information...ODU, App. an GSU are all three FCS independents this year! All three will be FBS Independents in 2014. All three are at the same level, as the NCAA see's it.

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2013, 01:16 AM
Just for your information...ODU, App. an GSU are all three FCS independents this year! All three will be FBS Independents in 2014. All three are at the same level, as the NCAA see's it.

App and GSU are still considered SoCon but not eligible for the title. They are playing a SoCon schedule. Next year they will be FBS independent teams. They are basically on the same timeline of ODU.

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2013, 01:21 AM

Depends on the position. There is a lot of talent at QB and a few other positions but there are a few where it is thinner than I would like to see, from a NFL standpoint.

QB and RB are very good this year with some depth while WR has some good ones at the top and then a gap after the top 4. TE and OT are good while OG and C are a little thin. DE is real good while there are some studs at DT and then a drop off.

LB and CB are really good at the top but not much depth this year. Safety is probably viewed as average right now but I think the top 5 on my board are really good.

With so many teams moving up in the last couple years and now ODU, App, GSU, and others going I think the number of FCS draft picks will fall a little bit. The average is 19 right now and I think that number will dip down to the 14-16 range starting in the 2015 draft.

seantaylor
June 3rd, 2013, 02:34 AM
The Czar of mommas basement. This guy is about as accurate as pissing one minute after two holing a broad.

813Jag
June 3rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
+1. I agree. NDSU has a GREAT team.

Also, FBGP, I think Prairie View's Spencer Nelson just graduated. However, there is a freshman from Baton Rouge who handled the punt returns/kickoff returns before his mid-season injury. He was voted the SWAC Freshman of the Year, I believe (Johntae Hebert). That kid is 101% legit.
He led the league in all purpose yardage, he's the truth. Not just saying that cuz he's from my hometown xlolx

Panther88
June 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
He led the league in all purpose yardage, he's the truth. Not just saying that cuz he's from my hometown xlolx

Nah, you're not a homer. He's the ONLY one from the 2012 signed class that I said was actual "d-1 athletic talent." That kid is amazing, imho. Plays w/ a super passion.