PDA

View Full Version : 9 Old Dominion Players Named to FBS to Phil Steele Preseason All-Independent Team?

superman7515
May 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Pretty unique honor for 9 FCS players to make the FBS preseason team...

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052313aab.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Old Dominion University football has nine players on the 2013 Phil Steele Preseason FBS All-Independent Team, the publication announced on Thursday. Taylor Heinicke, David Born and Jarod Brown earned first-team accolades.

Dominique Guinn-Bailey and Caleb Taylor earned second-team honors while Antonio Vaughan, Larry Pinkard, Jack Lowney and Reggie Owens received third-team accolades.

FBS independents included on the preseason team include ODU, Notre Dame, Army, New Mexico State, BYU, Idaho and Navy.

Heinicke is coming off a record-setting 2012, breaking FCS records for passing yards and completions in a season and leading the country in passing yards, passing yards per game, total offense, passing touchdowns, total touchdowns and points responsible for. He became just the second sophomore to ever win the Walter Payton Award, given to the best player in the FCS, and earned various All-America honors. He finished the year with 398 completions, a 68.8 completion percentage, 5,076 passing yards and 44 TD tosses. He also ran for 470 yards and 11 touchdowns. The junior to be set the Division I record with 730 yards passing in a dramatic 64-61 victory over New Hampshire and also set the record for total offense with 791 yards...

More at the link.

*I know I made a typo in the title, but for the life of me I have never figured out how to edit the title after it's posted.

eaglewraith
May 25th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I bet they're glad that there's no chance of playing us again for the forseeable future.

walliver
May 25th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Is ODU really FBS independent? They went to the FCS playoffs last year.
I was under the impression that this year, they are FCS (transitional) independent, and next year they are FBS transitional.
Aren't they technically in the same transitional status as ASU and GSU? The difference is that the CAA penalized them immediately, and the SoCon is more tolerant of (non-Elon) departing members.

Eaglesrus
May 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Is ODU really FBS independent? They went to the FCS playoffs last year.
I was under the impression that this year, they are FCS (transitional) independent, and next year they are FBS transitional.
Aren't they technically in the same transitional status as ASU and GSU? The difference is that the CAA penalized them immediately, and the SoCon is more tolerant of (non-Elon) departing members.

As I understand it they are. This wouldn't surprise me from most publications, but it being a Phil Steele error (I think) does.

kdinva
May 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Is ODU really FBS independent?.....Aren't they technically in the same transitional status as ASU and GSU? .

I think ODU is one season "ahead" of Ga. Southern and Appy.....in the transition game....aren't Appy and Ga. South eligible for at-large bids in this season's 1-AA playoffs? Like ODU in 2012...

I think there is an aspect of "when" you announce your intention to move up that dictates your status, etc. Others will offer answers to this, If I am incorrect on anything.

Eaglesrus
May 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I think ODU is one season "ahead" of Ga. Southern and Appy.....in the transition game....aren't Appy and Ga. South eligible for at-large bids in this season's 1-AA playoffs? Like ODU in 2012...

I think there is an aspect of "when" you announce your intention to move up that dictates your status, etc. Others will offer answers to this, If I am incorrect on anything.

We've (GSU fans) been told that we aren't eligible for the playoffs this year under any circumstances. To elaborate a little further, my understanding is that because ODU didn't announce until after 6/1/2012 they were eligible in 2012 and are on the same cycle as us. Conversely, if we had waited until after 6/1/13 ODU would be a year ahead of us and we would have been eligible this year as you say.

ODU Oldtimer
May 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Phil Steele's
2013 Preseason All-Independent Team

1st Team
Notre Dame 10
BYU 8
ODU 3
Army 3
Navy 1
Idaho 1
New Mexico St 1

2nd Team
Notre Dame 9
BYU 5
ODU 2
Army 2
Navy 3
Idaho 1
New Mexico St 2

3rd Team
Notre Dame 5
BYU 1
ODU 5
Army 2
Navy 7
Idaho 1
New Mexico St 5

Total All Teams
Notre Dame 24
BYU 14
ODU 10
Army 7
Navy 11
Idaho 3
New Mexico St 8

ODU had 9 players - 10 positions on the three teams!

1st Team
1 QB Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion
2 OG David Born, Old Dominion
3 K Jarod Brown, Old Dominion

2nd Team
4 Dominique Guinn-Bailey, Old Dominion
5 Caleb Taylor, Old Dominion

3rd Team
6 Antonio Vaughan, Old Dominion OFFENSE
7 Larry Pinkard, Old Dominion
8 Jack Lowney, Old Dominion
9 Reggie Owens, Old Dominion
10 Antonio Vaughan, Old Dominion SPECIAL TEAMS

kdinva
May 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
We've (GSU fans) been told that we aren't eligible for the playoffs this year under any circumstances. To elaborate a little further, my understanding is that because ODU didn't announce until after 6/1/2012 they were eligible in 2012 and are on the same cycle as us. Conversely, if we had waited until after 6/1/13 ODU would be a year ahead of us and we would have been eligible this year as you say.

thanks for the clarification.........I now recall the "June 1" rule..........but, since ODU is a 1-A "Indy" this year, will, or will not Ga. Southern and Appy be 1-A "indys" in 2014, play full Sun Belt sked in 2015.......or play Sun Belt Sked in 2014, with no "transition year" like ODU is doing in 2013.

Eagle22
May 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
thanks for the clarification.........I now recall the "June 1" rule..........but, since ODU is a 1-A "Indy" this year, will, or will not Ga. Southern and Appy be 1-A "indys" in 2014, play full Sun Belt sked in 2015.......or play Sun Belt Sked in 2014, with no "transition year" like ODU is doing in 2013.

Both GSU and ASU will be playing a full Sun Belt schedule in 2014.

walliver
May 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM

ODU is actually a FCS Indy this year. Their schedule consists of 8 FCS and 4 FBS games. (I counted UNCC as FCS this year). ODU was essentially "kicked out" of the CAA.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/conf-usa/2013-old-dominion-monarchs-football-schedule.php

Last year ODU played as a pure (not transitional) FCS team. They were excluded from the CAA championships by the CAA, not the NCAA. They participated in the playoffs.
Essentially, the timing of ODU's move caused them to have a 3 year, not 2 year, transition (although last year was not technically a transition year).
The SoCon plays by different rules. ASU and GSU are still members of the conference. They are banned from only the football championships because they will have more than 63 scholarships.
In 2014 all 3 will be FBS transitional. They can play FBS conference games (if allowed by their conferences), but will not be bowl-eligible until 2015.

IBleedYellow
May 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM
The easiest way I was able to comprehend the ODU situation was that ODU said "We're going to go FBS and sign the papers next Year!" (Last year). When they said this the CAA said "Bye Bye!" and didn't let them compete for their conference championship. Even though ODU WAS FCS last year. They basically got booted and were FCS independent that played CAA teams.

ODU Oldtimer
May 25th, 2013, 02:02 PM
ODU is actually a FCS Indy this year. Their schedule consists of 8 FCS and 4 FBS games. (I counted UNCC as FCS this year). ODU was essentially "kicked out" of the CAA.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/conf-usa/2013-old-dominion-monarchs-football-schedule.php

Last year ODU played as a pure (not transitional) FCS team. They were excluded from the CAA championships by the CAA, not the NCAA. They participated in the playoffs.
Essentially, the timing of ODU's move caused them to have a 3 year, not 2 year, transition (although last year was not technically a transition year).
The SoCon plays by different rules. ASU and GSU are still members of the conference. They are banned from only the football championships because they will have more than 63 scholarships.
In 2014 all 3 will be FBS transitional. They can play FBS conference games (if allowed by their conferences), but will not be bowl-eligible until 2015.

Actually ODU plays 5 FBS schools this year......

1 East Carolina Pirates
2 Maryland Terrapins
3 Pittsburgh Panthers
4 Idaho Vandals
5 North Carolina Tar Heels

and FCS - C-USA Transition member Charlotte 49ers along with six other FCS Schools.