PDA

View Full Version : A SoCon fan's perspective

Sir William
May 24th, 2013, 10:07 AM
As you can see, I am a Furman fan. Though I attended a few Furman games as a child in the early 70s, my association with them as a fan and with the SoCon began in the early 80s when I attended Furman. I love the Paladins, I love the SoCon, and I love all things FCS.

When IAA football began, the OVC, Big Sky, and MEAC were the big players. Into the 80s, the SoCon, Big Sky, and the Southland dominated the landscape. The old Yankee Conference (now the CAA for all practical purposes) was somewhat competitive, but not extraordinarily strong. Into the 90s and 00s, the Southland faded while the CAA and the MVC rose to prominence alongside the Big Sky and the SoCon. Now the SoCon is taking its hits, and they have been pretty good ones! However, if one truly takes a look at who and what the SoCon has always been and continues to be, one can only logically conclude that our football future is very bright one.

In 1990, SoCon football was made up of the following: Marshall, VMI, App State, W Carolina, ETSU, UTC, Furman and The Citadel. Since that time, we have added Georgia Southern, lost Marshall, added Wofford, lost ETSU, added Elon, lost VMI, added Samford, and now will lose App State, Ga Southern and Elon.

In a few days, the SoCon will anounce the addition of new members: ETSU, Mercer and VMI. That being the case, when you look at where the SoCon was in 1990 to where we stand right now, there is a net loss of Marshall and App State and a net gain of Wofford, Samford and now Mercer.

To be sure losing App and GaSo are big hits to our football conference power ratings. Elon not so much. I hate to see the Mountaineers and Eagles go, but it's a step in the right direction for their programs. No offense to Elon, but whether or not their decision to go to the CAA is a wise one remains to be seen. And whether or not the CAA's decision to add them is a wise one also remains to be seen. Either way, most of us in the SoCon will miss App State and GaSo - they both have a rich tradition in SoCon history, especially App.

Elon will hardly be missed at all. Their departure is a non-event for all practical purposes. In fact, losing Elon and gaining Mercer is a tremendous net gain across the board for the SoCon...and that's undebatable. For any who think that Mercer is a step in a weaker direction, consider the fact that Mercer has hired a former "winning" SoCon coach to start the program, that the program will upgrade to scholarship football to enter the SoCon, and that the program has already begun the process of increasing their "yet-to-be christened" new stadium from a seating capacity of 6000 to over 10,000. Who wouldn't appreciate that kind of vision - a vision which Elon has never seemingly had.

After years of notorious mediocrity on the gridiron, ETSU will re-launch its program; and in re-launching, ETSU will build a new outdoor stadium. However, new stadiums don't necessarily translate into consistent wins and success on the field - Elon knows that all too well! However, I believe that ETSU will ultimately have a much stronger program than before they dropped their program 10 years ago precisely b/c of the prior mediocrity of the program. Think about it - why would they restart a football program at the FCS level if they would only be satisfied with a return to the mediocrity they once enjoyed? That would make no sense at all. Time will tell how successful ETSU may become, but I guarantee you they aren't re-launching just to go 4-7 or 5-6 (or even 6-5 or 7-4) every season. Give the Bucs 4-5 years and look out! They may not soon replace App, but they have the potential to become a consistent contender for conference championships.

VMI should have never left. Now they are coming home. No, they weren't very good in football when they left, and no, they aren't very good now; but they are a traditional SoCon family member and we are glad to see them return (kind of like Rhode Island is a traditional CAA family member).

After this round of realignment, etc, is the SoCon as strong as the CAA, Big Sky and MVC. No, probably not. Are we at least as strong as the Southland? I think so, but who knows. Nonetheless, two things are undeniable. First, more than any other D1 conference, the SoCon has a history of moving forward successfully when teams leave for the bigger stage (aka: the SEC, the ACC, Marshall, and now App State and Ga Southern), and they have a proven track record of remaining a contender against their peers following such exoduses. Losses have to be recovered, but the SoCon has proven they know how to do it. It may take a while (and it may be easy for outsiders to write our obituary at the moment) but the SoCon will re-emerge sooner than later as a strong contender at the FCS level. Pile on the SoCon now b/c it's easy to do so; but take a look at our history and our legacy, and I think most will agree that the reports of our death are being greatly exaggerated. With the addition of ETSU, Mercer and VMI, the SoCon has steadied its ship for the future. We all may be seasick at the moment, but the swells are beginning to calm and the sun will soon shine again. (And by the way, it is beyond highly doubtful that UTC and ETSU will eventually leave the SoCon for the OVC at some point - if UTC wanted to be in the OVC, it would have happened years ago; and if ETSU wanted in the OVC, then re-joining the SoCon as the path to OVC membership just doesn't make a lot of sense.)

Second, before anyone in the CAA thinks they are standing on eternally solid ground, think again - it's quite possible that more future attrition may be on the way for them than any other conference. JMU will leave - it's only a matter of a short time. Villanova could possibly leave - the northeastern football landscape has been much more potentially volatile than the southern landscape. And though I doubt Delaware will soon leave, you just never know. Those Blue Hens are a proud bunch and for good reason. Merely speculation, but if the MAC came calling (or even the AAC in a few years), it's doubtful the Hens would stay put - too much $$ on the table. If those dominoes began to fall, the prospects of William and Mary and Richmond looking toward the SoCon is not out of the realm of possibility. Probably won't happen, you may say...but you never know.

My point is that while you may kick us while we are down, you might want to watch your backside. We have a long history of coming back from the dead. Do you?

When it's all said and done, I wish App State and Ga Southern the best in the Sun Belt. I also say 'so long' to Elon, but I can't say that your 10-yr presence nor your impending departure have made any difference to the rest of us. Good luck, nonetheless. More than these things, however, as a proud Furman Paladin, I'm looking forward to a revamped and exciting future of SoCon football. And I think my friends at Wofford, The Citadel, W Carolina, UTC, Samford, ETSU, VMI and Mercer would agree.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Nice read, SW. On that same subject matter, I think you might enjoy this piece I wrote last month on this subject:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/702-those-predicting-the-demise-of-fcs-ought-to-read-their-history-books

FCS has always seen change, and has lived through every change that has resulted in naysayers predicting the end of days for the subdivision.

The Football Championship Subdivision will live though turmoil blowing through all of Division I football, too, and they will emerge stronger than ever from this maelstrom.

The FCS will survive because they whole idea is to be cost-containment football with a true representative playoff with all its members who choose to participate.

Though it was penned with the FBS move-ups in mind, in ways I think it could also apply to the Elon move to the CAA as well in terms of change in the conferences.

CID1990
May 24th, 2013, 10:13 AM
As you can see, I am a Furman fan. Though I attended a few Furman games as a child in the early 70s, my association with them as a fan and with the SoCon began in the early 80s when I attended Furman. I love the Paladins, I love the SoCon, and I love all things FCS.

When IAA football began, the OVC, Big Sky, and MEAC were the big players. Into the 80s, the SoCon, Big Sky, and the Southland dominated the landscape. The old Yankee Conference (now the CAA for all practical purposes) was somewhat competitive, but not extraordinarily strong. Into the 90s and 00s, the Southland faded while the CAA and the MVC rose to prominence alongside the Big Sky and the SoCon. Now the SoCon is taking its hits, and they have been pretty good ones! However, if one truly takes a look at who and what the SoCon has always been and continues to be, one can only logically conclude that our football future is very bright one.

In 1990, SoCon football was made up of the following: Marshall, VMI, App State, W Carolina, ETSU, UTC, Furman and The Citadel. Since that time, we have added Georgia Southern, lost Marshall, added Wofford, lost ETSU, added Elon, lost VMI, added Samford, and now will lose App State, Ga Southern and Elon.

In a few days, the SoCon will anounce the addition of new members: ETSU, Mercer and VMI. That being the case, when you look at where the SoCon was in 1990 to where we stand right now, there is a net loss of Marshall and App State and a net gain of Wofford, Samford and now Mercer.

To be sure losing App and GaSo are big hits to our football conference power ratings. Elon not so much. I hate to see the Mountaineers and Eagles go, but it's a step in the right direction for their programs. No offense to Elon, but whether or not their decision to go to the CAA is a wise one remains to be seen. And whether or not the CAA's decision to add them is a wise one also remains to be seen. Either way, most of us in the SoCon will miss App State and GaSo - they both have a rich tradition in SoCon history, especially App.

Elon will hardly be missed at all. Their departure is a non-event for all practical purposes. In fact, losing Elon and gaining Mercer is a tremendous net gain across the board for the SoCon...and that's undebatable. For any who think that Mercer is a step in a weaker direction, consider the fact that Mercer has hired a former "winning" SoCon coach to start the program, that the program will upgrade to scholarship football to enter the SoCon, and that the program has already begun the process of increasing their "yet-to-be christened" new stadium from a seating capacity of 6000 to over 10,000. Who wouldn't appreciate that kind of vision - a vision which Elon has never seemingly had.

After years of notorious mediocrity on the gridiron, ETSU will re-launch its program; and in re-launching, ETSU will build a new outdoor stadium. However, new stadiums don't necessarily translate into consistent wins and success on the field - Elon knows that all too well! However, I believe that ETSU will ultimately have a much stronger program than before they dropped their program 10 years ago precisely b/c of the prior mediocrity of the program. Think about it - why would they restart a football program at the FCS level if they would only be satisfied with a return to the mediocrity they once enjoyed? That would make no sense at all. Time will tell how successful ETSU may become, but I guarantee you they aren't re-launching just to go 4-7 or 5-6 (or even 6-5 or 7-4) every season. Give the Bucs 4-5 years and look out! They may not soon replace App, but they have the potential to become a consistent contender for conference championships.

VMI should have never left. Now they are coming home. No, they weren't very good in football when they left, and no, they aren't very good now; but they are a traditional SoCon family member and we are glad to see them return (kind of like Rhode Island is a traditional CAA family member).

After this round of realignment, etc, is the SoCon as strong as the CAA, Big Sky and MVC. No, probably not. Are we at least as strong as the Southland? I think so, but who knows. Nonetheless, two things are undeniable. First, more than any other D1 conference, the SoCon has a history of moving forward successfully when teams leave for the bigger stage (aka: the SEC, the ACC, Marshall, and now App State and Ga Southern), and they have a proven track record of remaining a contender against their peers following such exoduses. Losses have to be recovered, but the SoCon has proven they know how to do it. It may take a while (and it may be easy for outsiders to write our obituary at the moment) but the SoCon will re-emerge sooner than later as a strong contender at the FCS level. Pile on the SoCon now b/c it's easy to do so; but take a look at our history and our legacy, and I think most will agree that the reports of our death are being greatly exaggerated. With the addition of ETSU, Mercer and VMI, the SoCon has steadied its ship for the future. We all may be seasick at the moment, but the swells are beginning to calm and the sun will soon shine again. (And by the way, it is beyond highly doubtful that UTC and ETSU will eventually leave the SoCon for the OVC at some point - if UTC wanted to be in the OVC, it would have happened years ago; and if ETSU wanted in the OVC, then re-joining the SoCon as the path to OVC membership just doesn't make a lot of sense.)

Second, before anyone in the CAA thinks they are standing on eternally solid ground, think again - it's quite possible that more future attrition may be on the way for them than any other conference. JMU will leave - it's only a matter of a short time. Villanova could possibly leave - the northeastern football landscape has been much more potentially volatile than the southern landscape. And though I doubt Delaware will soon leave, you just never know. Those Blue Hens are a proud bunch and for good reason. Merely speculation, but if the MAC came calling (or even the AAC in a few years), it's doubtful the Hens would stay put - too much $$ on the table. If those dominoes began to fall, the prospects of William and Mary and Richmond looking toward the SoCon is not out of the realm of possibility. Probably won't happen, you may say...but you never know.

My point is that while you may kick us while we are down, you might want to watch your backside. We have a long history of coming back from the dead. Do you?

When it's all said and done, I wish App State and Ga Southern the best in the Sun Belt. I also say 'so long' to Elon, but I can't say that your 10-yr presence nor your impending departure have made any difference to the rest of us. Good luck, nonetheless. More than these things, however, as a proud Furman Paladin, I'm looking forward to a revamped and exciting future of SoCon football. And I think my friends at Wofford, The Citadel, W Carolina, UTC, Samford, ETSU, VMI and Mercer would agree.

+1

Sent from the center of the universe.

Jiggs
May 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Well said, Sir William.

Eaglesrus
May 24th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Very reasonable and well said!

catamount man
May 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Jolly good show ole man! And agree with EVERYTHING you wrote!

hapapp
May 24th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Very thoughtful post and one that I think puts things in perspective.

kdinva
May 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Jolly good show ole man! And agree with EVERYTHING you wrote!

xthumbsupx xbeerchugx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Nicely done and my thought on the matter as well. I think the SoCon will be a more tightly knit and better overall conference due to all that has happened recently. With member schools having common interest and goals I think you will also see better decisions coming from the SoCon due to it's members similarities and focus now.

TheRevSFA
May 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I would love to see SFA, Sam, UCA, McNeese and NW State join the SoCon and have a FCS league that fits the entire footprint of the Sun Belt.

I know travel expenses would be higher and such, but I think it would be interesting at least.

Pipe dream, I know.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Enjoyable read, and sums up how I feel quite well.

I certainly think the SoCon will maintain its standing, and the rumors of its demise are exaggerated. Neither App nor GSU walked through conference play like Marshall did in 1996. Both struggled at times. Not that it is a slight against their fine programs, but it just resonates the fact that those programs are leaving behind some football teams that have spent years giving them what for. The two most recognizable programs are leaving, but they are not by a country mile the only two good football programs in the SoCon.

asumike83
May 24th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Neither App nor GSU walked through conference play like Marshall did in 1996.

Well of course not every year but neither did Marshall. App dominated the SoCon in 2006 and 2008 about as thoroughly as possible. That 2008 Halloween game sticks out when App beat a top-5 Wofford team by 46 on ESPN.

That said, I agree with the OP. Great post.

ASUMountaineer
May 24th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Excellent post, Sir William.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Well of course not every year but neither did Marshall. App dominated the SoCon in 2006 and 2008 about as thoroughly as possible. That 2008 Halloween game sticks out when App beat a top-5 Wofford team by 46 on ESPN.

That said, I agree with the OP. Great post.

My point is that there is not going to be some huge talent void left by these departures. Yes, the two most powerful teams are leaving. Yes, they had some dominant seasons (just as Furman has had some dominant seasons). There is still plenty of talent among those teams remaining to go around.

appsfan
May 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM
+1 Good post, Sir William.

LouiseBFree
May 24th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Dumbest thing EVER!

xsmhx

I would love to see SFA, Sam, UCA, McNeese and NW State join the SoCon and have a FCS league that fits the entire footprint of the Sun Belt.

I know travel expenses would be higher and such, but I think it would be interesting at least.

Pipe dream, I know.

seantaylor
May 25th, 2013, 12:46 AM
GSU dominated the Socon since coming into the conference minus the years Sammy Baker hired two retards.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 25th, 2013, 02:10 AM
GSU dominated the Socon since coming into the conference minus the years Sammy Baker hired two retards.

Lucky for all of us though that one of them has time to post here now.

Saint3333
May 25th, 2013, 06:49 AM
My point is that there is not going to be some huge talent void left by these departures. Yes, the two most powerful teams are leaving. Yes, they had some dominant seasons (just as Furman has had some dominant seasons). There is still plenty of talent among those teams remaining to go around.

So in 2018 you predict the SoCon will be the first or second best conference again?

There would have been an impact even if App and GSU had stayed. The influx of additional FBS scholarships in the southeast will impact the overall talent level of the SoCon. You can not add 500+ scholarships in a four state region and not expect it to impact all programs in that region.

catamount man
May 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Ready to see WCU vs Furman become "interesting" again as it was in the early 1980s. WCU has not won in Gville since 1994. WAY too long. Closest was 2002 when we missed a PAT and FU won 24-23. Time to ruffle purple feathers again. LOL! GO CATS!

dungeonjoe
May 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
So in 2018 you predict the SoCon will be the first or second best conference again?

There would have been an impact even if App and GSU had stayed. The influx of additional FBS scholarships in the southeast will impact the overall talent level of the SoCon. You can not add 500+ scholarships in a four state region and not expect it to impact all programs in that region.

That would be true if all the teams only recruited in that four state area. Even Wofford is picking up recruits from Idaho, Oklahoma, Ohio, and Louisiana. Regardless, the level on the division level will be high as it always. There will always be recruits who will be missed by the big boys, or who will blossom once they play at the college level; the other thing is a coaches like Moore and Ayers and many more who could coach on any level, can coach players to a higher level of play.

Saint3333
May 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Very fair points.

However, 90% of your recruits are from that area.

There are always diamonds in the rough.

The difference is you're citing exceptions, which is one to two players in each recruiting class of 15+.

No one is predicting a step down in every recruit, but I do think 1-3 of your top 5 recruits each year will not be FCS players going forward.

dungeonjoe
May 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
And there will be more transfers as well, for those who don't fit (for whatever reason) FBS football. You are certainly correct that because of the increased scholarship numbers that there will be increased competition. I don't see the falloff of quality of football that you imply. Football is just one factor that determines where a kid will go to college. For some it is the highest. But there are others: closeness to family, family tradition, academic interests to name but three. If football is the only thing and there quality of play/talent is high, I doubt they would be going to FCS schools or newly former FBS schools at any rate.

walliver
May 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Very fair points.

However, 90% of your recruits are from that area.

There are always diamonds in the rough.

The difference is you're citing exceptions, which is one to two players in each recruiting class of 15+.

No one is predicting a step down in every recruit, but I do think 1-3 of your top 5 recruits each year will not be FCS players going forward.

I seriously doubt we lose that many. Specifically, Wofford and Citadel are recruiting players with somewhat different skill sets (at least on offense).

For the league as a whole, most players who currently pick Samford, Furman, and Wofford over ASU and GSU will continue to do so because these are entirely different environments, The Citadel and VMI are unique and will always have their own recruiting issues which will not change. Chattanooga has their own recruiting bailiwick and probably has more concern about KSU, Mercer, and ETSU (re-)starting football than they do about the GSU's and ASU. WCU needs to find their recruiting niche; right now, the best I can come up with is "Play at the Whee', or sit at the Rock".

My goal is not to rain on anyone's parade. If ASU fans think moving to the belt is something to celebrate, then tap a keg - I'm happy for you. But, I expect to be allowed to enjoy my wine and cheese without denigration. It is difficult enough choosing the proper Chardonnay for an afternoon game or Cabernet for a nighttime games as it is without PBR-drinking Sunbelters taunting how the brie quality will decrease after they take their saltines to the 'belt. (Of course, ASU fans with high-purity 'shine are welcome to tailgate with us):)

Saint3333
May 25th, 2013, 09:29 AM
It seems I am misunderstood here, I drink bourbon.

walliver
May 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM
It seems I am misunderstood here, I drink bourbon.

What's the purpose of hanging out in Boone if you are going to drink store-bought liquor imported from Kentucky? :)

Saint3333
May 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Because it is good, keeps you warm, and you actually want to be able to remember the game. Shine is postgame, silly terrier.

ThompsonThe
May 25th, 2013, 11:03 PM
The SoCon will do just fine. No concerns about that what so ever. So very happy to see ETSU and VMI back into the SoCon.
Wish they had done that sooner. Mercer is a class school, with an excellent football coach in Bobby Lamb, they will do well.
New additions will fit in and some will do really well.
Figured someone from Furman would wind up making the definitive statement about the conferences future.
Not trying to knock anyone, but if it had taken money to get a certain school out of the SoCon, every other SoCon school would
have wired funds immediately. I know some of you think that that was a joke.

chattanoogamocs
May 26th, 2013, 12:36 AM

Just wondering. How do you derive at the 500+ number?

ThompsonThe
May 26th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Good question. Off the top of my head can only come up with a little over half of that. That with new football programs and additional scholarships due to change of subdivisions. Maybe Saint3333 is thinking of some that we are not.

Saint3333
May 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM
App, GSU, GA St., ODU, UNCC, USA, and likely JMU.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Enjoyable read, and sums up how I feel quite well.

I certainly think the SoCon will maintain its standing, and the rumors of its demise are exaggerated. Neither App nor GSU walked through conference play like Marshall did in 1996. Both struggled at times. Not that it is a slight against their fine programs, but it just resonates the fact that those programs are leaving behind some football teams that have spent years giving them what for. The two most recognizable programs are leaving, but they are not by a country mile the only two good football programs in the SoCon.

Marshall's most dominating period in the SoCon was their last 6 years from 1991 to 1996. Their conference record was 38-8 with 1 undefeated season, 3 conference championships and 2 national championships. During the 6 year period from 2005 thru 2010 ASU's conference record was 41-4 with 2 undefeated seasons, 6 conference championships and 3 national championships. Please explain how Marshall "walked through" the conference and ASU did not.

parr90
May 26th, 2013, 09:35 AM

And there wasnt a huge talent void when Mashall left either. I dont think anyone would suggest that GSU and App were the ONLY good teams year to year in the Socon but they did dominate the conference as far as winning it most of the time vs the others and have more success on the national scale. God knows the number of times I was sick after a Furman or Wofford loss. Both are leaving because they both have the ability being larger state schools to continue to grow and recruit at a level that makes since for the move. I do think this hurts the Southern conference though. Will the Socon survive? Probably for a while anyway, depending on what happens in the FCS landscape football wise. I hope the Socon stays in tact though, I have surely enjoyed the rivalries.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
The pool of players for FCS is growing smaller. With 3 new D-I programs (Char, ODU, Ga St) coming on the scene and moving to FBS, 2 (more likely 3) existing FCS programs moving to FBS (ASU, Ga South, JMU) the net loss to FCS is 321 players. Three start up FCS programs (ETSU, Kennesaw St, Mercer) will create a demand of 189 more players at the FCS level. The net negative impact of 510 players in GA, NC, SC & VA is a stark contrast to 1992 when the NCAA dropped scholarship levels to 85 & 63. That move gave a huge boost to the 1-AA talent pool by making 90 players who would have been on 1-A rosters suddenly available to 1-AA programs. Recruiting at the FCS level is going to get really tough.

walliver
May 26th, 2013, 11:33 AM
The pool of players for FCS is growing smaller. With 3 new D-I programs (Char, ODU, Ga St) coming on the scene and moving to FBS, 2 (more likely 3) existing FCS programs moving to FBS (ASU, Ga South, JMU) the net loss to FCS is 321 players. Three start up FCS programs (ETSU, Kennesaw St, Mercer) will create a demand of 189 more players at the FCS level. The net negative impact of 510 players in GA, NC, SC & VA is a stark contrast to 1992 when the NCAA dropped scholarship levels to 85 & 63. That move gave a huge boost to the 1-AA talent pool by making 90 players who would have been on 1-A rosters suddenly available to 1-AA programs. Recruiting at the FCS level is going to get really tough.

Why does college football expansion affect only FCS?

1) The best players in the region currently go the the SEC, top 3 or 4 teams in the ACC, and some will travel to national destinations such as Notre Dame, Michigan, Southern California, etc. These players will continue to do so. The SEC will not be affected in any way.
2) The addition of 321 FBS scholarships means that there will be much more competition between low-level FBS teams. Unless you are going to argue that there are currently 321 FBS-level players a year playing FCS because there aren't enough FBS teams in the southeast, then it is obvious that the talent pool will be thinned at the FBS level. In some cases scholarships will be offered to players who would otherwise be listed as preferred walk-ons, so the effect might be minimalized slightly.
3) Obviously there are slimmer pickin's at the FCS level also.

The recent expansion has weaken both Mid-major FBS and FCS.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 26th, 2013, 08:10 PM
App, GSU, GA St., ODU, UNCC, USA, and likely JMU.

So the 22 additional scholarships times the number of teams you've listed is 500 additional scholarships? UNCC being counted at the full 85 is somewhat understandable but the rest?

I think UNCC's scholarships will affect App more than any other team but it will affect all that are not running the option as well.

Saint3333
May 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM
63 scholarships were on par with FCS schools, that aren't any longer.

Players pick FBS schools over FCS schools 9 out of 10 times, having closely watched recruiting for years I'm sure you would agree.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM
63 scholarships were on par with FCS schools, that aren't any longer.

Players pick FBS schools over FCS schools 9 out of 10 times, having closely watched recruiting for years I'm sure you would agree.

Still drawing from that same 4 state pool is the assumption though corrrect? So how is it 500 additional? Assuming UNCC and Ga St. are gonna be getting better players than they were previously because players will want to go there as opposed to an FCS still doesn't get us there.

I guess I just don't understand the logic but I don't need to anyway. The football is still gonna be made of traditionally solid teams playing good football either way.xthumbsupx

chattownmocs
May 26th, 2013, 09:49 PM
UTC will silence the SOCON doubters this year both in the regular season and the playoffs.

BisonFan02
May 26th, 2013, 11:21 PM
UTC will silence the SOCON doubters this year both in the regular season and the playoffs.

http://pective.com/m/cookie

seantaylor
May 27th, 2013, 03:17 AM

They will get dragged by GSU and ASU, and Woffie, but should give Sammy and El Chit a solid game.

ButlerGSU
May 27th, 2013, 06:16 AM

I don't mean this as smack at all because I do believe UTC will field a strong team, but you seem to say this every season and I can't remember the last time UTC was in the playoffs?

Saint3333
May 27th, 2013, 07:28 AM
6 x 85 is 510.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 27th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Why does college football expansion affect only FCS?

1) The best players in the region currently go the the SEC, top 3 or 4 teams in the ACC, and some will travel to national destinations such as Notre Dame, Michigan, Southern California, etc. These players will continue to do so. The SEC will not be affected in any way.
2) The addition of 321 FBS scholarships means that there will be much more competition between low-level FBS teams. Unless you are going to argue that there are currently 321 FBS-level players a year playing FCS because there aren't enough FBS teams in the southeast, then it is obvious that the talent pool will be thinned at the FBS level. In some cases scholarships will be offered to players who would otherwise be listed as preferred walk-ons, so the effect might be minimalized slightly.
3) Obviously there are slimmer pickin's at the FCS level also.

The recent expansion has weaken both Mid-major FBS and FCS.

I agree. The trickle down effect will be felt all the way to D-II. The pool of FBS players is only so deep and even though we will steal some from ACC programs the only way to fill the number of grants is to take those border line players who fell to FCS. The scramble to get the best of the rest will make recruiting at the top FCS programs a war. I can see it being a factor in FCS dropping to 55 or less grants at some point.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 27th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Maybe 2014.

Apphole
May 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM

What about the Sun Belt doubters?

chattownmocs
May 27th, 2013, 09:15 AM
What about the Sun Belt doubters?

They will be out in force after chattanooga whips their new additions.

Apphole
May 27th, 2013, 09:26 AM
They will be out in force after chattanooga whips their new additions.

Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that....

We'll beat chatty by 24+ this year.

chattownmocs
May 27th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that....

We'll beat chatty by 24+ this year.

Wait did you guys get a brand new team now that you are moving to the sun belt? What your team is going to be even worse? Could App State win ? Sure. Is Chattanooga clearly the better team going into the year? By far.

CID1990
May 27th, 2013, 09:33 AM
They will get dragged by GSU and ASU, and Woffie, but should give Sammy and El Chit a solid game.

I think Wofford is going to be weaker than usual this year. Samford could easily be the hands down #2, and that includes ASU and GSU in the mix.

chattownmocs
May 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Samford is gonna be pretty good. They aren't going to be better than Chattanooga. They aren't going to beat Chattanooga. Chattanooga has more overall talent and more experience. If Chattanooga can't beat app state because of the past Sanford won't beat us. We have been closer to App then they have to us.

asumike83
May 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Wait did you guys get a brand new team now that you are moving to the sun belt? What your team is going to be even worse? Could App State win ? Sure. Is Chattanooga clearly the better team going into the year? By far.

Ha, "even worse". App doubled Chatty up at their place in 2012, we don't need a new team. You better hope that guy JMU fired is a miracle worker.

chattownmocs
May 27th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Ha, "even worse". App doubled Chatty up at their place in 2012, we don't need a new team. You better hope that guy JMU fired is a miracle worker.

Lol. I watched the game last year and it was terribly played. Obviously if we play like that we will lose to Western. Look at the other common opponents. Chattanooga was more competitive than ASU. You guys got up for GSU but sucked so bad the rest of the year.

asumike83
May 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM
You know you're grasping for straws when you start talking about mutual opponents to a team you played head to head. By your logic, we weren't "up" for Chatty and still smoked you at your place. Better hope our boys aren't "up" in Boone this year.

chattownmocs
May 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
You know you're grasping for straws when you start talking about mutual opponents to a team you played head to head. By your logic, we weren't "up" for Chatty and still smoked you at your place. Better hope our boys aren't "up" in Boone this year.

You can rest assured that the game is not going to play out the same. No doubt we weren't good against yall. But yall were bad an awful lot. Your defense is complete shambles. It has little talent and no desire. Your offense hinges on the passing game. Your team is going to be weak. The fact that you guys are going to the SBC next year isn't going to resurrect you into some unstoppable force. You suck. Chattanooga is better. Its not really very close.

Apphole
May 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
That's no way to talk to your daddy.

GlassOnion
May 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM
If App's defense is complete shambles, what does that say about Chatty's offense that got dominated by that defense?

One thing is for certain, no matter how bad App's defense, a Scott Satterfield offense will outscore a Chatty one. Chatty has about the worst offense in the conference, second only to Western, and the difference is negligible. Chatty was only able to rush for 87 yards in the last game, and it was more around 60 yards at the time App put the game away.

chattownmocs
May 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
If App's defense is complete shambles, what does that say about Chatty's offense that got dominated by that defense?

One thing is for certain, no matter how bad App's defense, a Scott Satterfield offense will outscore a Chatty one. Chatty has about the worst offense in the conference, second only to Western, and the difference is negligible. Chatty was only able to rush for 87 yards in the last game, and it was more around 60 yards at the time App put the game away.

satterfield is an unproven rookie head coach who was a major reach of a hire and is as likely to crash and burn as he is to thrive.

Apphole
May 27th, 2013, 12:47 PM
If SS crashes and burns, it's not going to happen during our farewell tour of the SoCon. The 2013 App offense is going to be the best offense the conference has seen since the 2007 App State offense.

GlassOnion
May 27th, 2013, 12:55 PM
satterfield is an unproven rookie head coach who was a major reach of a hire and is as likely to crash and burn as he is to thrive.

And Huesman is a proven failure offensively.

App hired a proven DC, and Satterfield is a proven quantity offensively. As far as coaching goes, I dont see Satterfield managing as badly as Huesman has offensively.

Appaholic
May 27th, 2013, 01:06 PM
UTC will silence the SOCON doubters this year both in the regular season and the playoffs. Mayber not this year. But once App & GSU leave, I see no problem with UTC possibly finishing as high as 3rd....

Saint3333
May 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Satterfield, OC at two FBS programs before coming back to App as OC and Asst. head coach is a reach?

The only reach here is every post from Chattown. I can't wait for October aka Chattown hibernation begins.

AppMan
May 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Lol. I watched the game last year and it was terribly played. Obviously if we play like that we will lose to Western. Look at the other common opponents. Chattanooga was more competitive than ASU. You guys got up for GSU but sucked so bad the rest of the year.

In essence you are saying when the bad boys from Boone rolled into town your little birdies folded like a cheap piece of cardboard.

AppMan
May 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM
You can rest assured that the game is not going to play out the same. No doubt we weren't good against yall. But yall were bad an awful lot. Your defense is complete shambles. It has little talent and no desire. Your offense hinges on the passing game. Your team is going to be weak. The fact that you guys are going to the SBC next year isn't going to resurrect you into some unstoppable force. You suck. Chattanooga is better. Its not really very close.

Dude you don't just experiment with drugs, you're into full scale research.

SUPharmacist
May 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM
In essence you are saying when the bad boys from Boone rolled into town your little birdies folded like a cheap piece of cardboard.

Folded faster than Superman on laundry day.

seantaylor
May 28th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I think Wofford is going to be weaker than usual this year. Samford could easily be the hands down #2, and that includes ASU and GSU in the mix.

Give me your yayo dealer's digits. Samford has no shot to be number 2. I think Citadel has a better team than Samford.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but both aren't GSU and App will be playing with more than 63 scholarship players this season? I would expect if that is the case, both programs are going to redshirt a whole lot of players because why would you spend a year on essentially a lame duck campaign where you can play for exactly nothing? I'm not convinced either team will be the bee's knees if they redshirt a lot of their younger talent in preparation for the SunBelt season.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Slightly off topic, but Mercer and ETSU are both playing in the NCAA baseball post season.

walliver
May 28th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but both aren't GSU and App will be playing with more than 63 scholarship players this season? I would expect if that is the case, both programs are going to redshirt a whole lot of players because why would you spend a year on essentially a lame duck campaign where you can play for exactly nothing? I'm not convinced either team will be the bee's knees if they redshirt a lot of their younger talent in preparation for the SunBelt season.

I doubt either program red-shirts much more than usual.
At ASU, this is Satterfield's first year. He wants to get off to a good start, so he's not going to sacrifice this year's team. Most of the freshmen would redshirt anyway.
At GSU, they still want to win every game (especially ASU). I don't see any starters wanting to sit on their rear-ends this year. If Moncken hopes to "move up" in the near future, he doesn't want any bad years on his resume.
Neither team will be bowl-eligible in 2014.
I would suspect that both teams have goals of winning all their non-FBS games, and will come ready to play.

asumike83
May 28th, 2013, 06:45 AM

If we have some freshmen who leapfrog upper classsmen into a starting job, they'll probably play but I expect a good amount of redshirts for those who would be used for depth/special teams. Taylor Lamb comes to mind first. He could very well be one of the best options for #2 QB but I'd be very surprised if they burned a year of eligibility.

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2013, 07:10 AM

At ASU, this is Satterfield's first year. He wants to get off to a good start, so he's not going to sacrifice this year's team. Most of the freshmen would redshirt anyway.
At GSU, they still want to win every game (especially ASU). I don't see any starters wanting to sit on their rear-ends this year. If Moncken hopes to "move up" in the near future, he doesn't want any bad years on his resume.
I would suspect that both teams have goals of winning all their non-FBS games, and will come ready to play.

The topic of the possibility of redshirting some key players (McKinnon, Swope, etc.) has been widely discussed on GSUFans.com and from my perspective the majority agree with what walliver says above. More importantly, Coach Monken has stated several times publicly that he will not do it, that you should always put your best team on the field and play to win.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM
If we have some freshmen who leapfrog upper classsmen into a starting job, they'll probably play but I expect a good amount of redshirts for those who would be used for depth/special teams. Taylor Lamb comes to mind first. He could very well be one of the best options for #2 QB but I'd be very surprised if they burned a year of eligibility.

It's not unheard of to redshirt the backup. UGA played all of last season with a redshirted freshman as the #2 quarterback. Had Aaron Murray gone down at some point in the season, they would have pulled the shirt and played the backup. As it was, they kept him on the sideline and let the #3 handle mopup duties.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM
The topic of the possibility of redshirting some key players (McKinnon, Swope, etc.) has been widely discussed on GSUFans.com and from my perspective the majority agree with what walliver says above. More importantly, Coach Monken has stated several times publicly that he will not do it, that you should always put your best team on the field and play to win.

It's an interesting scenario.

I do not think App or GSU is a lock to "win" the SoCon even without redshirting players. I don't know the rule for how many players can dress for a game, which I suppose would mitigate to some degree the advantage of having more scholarship players.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM

That's cool. We'll keep our conference championship trophy, and you guys hang onto that third-place tie.

Moral victories still go down as L's.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM

You say this every year, yet Chatty can't beat App State. Why is that?

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
That's cool. We'll keep our conference championship trophy, and you guys hang onto that third-place tie.

Moral victories still go down as L's.

Yes, and the coach who made that chicken **** of a football team into a conference champion was fired. Welcome to the Satterfield era.

Apphole
May 28th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Yes, and the coach who made that chicken **** of a football team into a conference champion was fired. Welcome to the Satterfield era.

Are you saying our recruits were subpar and our coach is solely responsible for turning them into a winning unit? Because I'm pretty sure you're confusing us with Wofford.

Your Daddy (App State if you forgot. Your words not mine) has been the top 1-2 recruiter in the SoCon for quite a while. Get your story straight.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 08:44 AM
You say this every year, yet Chatty can't beat App State. Why is that?

This is only the 3rd year I have even been on here. But, yes, this is a year in which Chattanooga is blatantly stronger. App State this, Georgia Southern that. Samford and Citadel are the biggest threats, blah blah blah blah. We will just trot out our hoard of 3 year starters and destroy everyone.

Apphole
May 28th, 2013, 08:45 AM
This is only the 3rd year I have even been on here. But, yes, this is a year in which Chattanooga is blatantly stronger. App State this, Georgia Southern that. Samford and Citadel are the biggest threats, blah blah blah blah. We will just trot out our hoard of 3 year starters and destroy everyone.

What are your thoughts on the second worse offense in a pretty bad SoCon last year? Let me guess: strongest offense in the SoCon for 2013 xlolx.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:46 AM

I'd say welcome to the Huesman era, but we already know how that goes--mediocre records and moral victories. I'll take Satterfield.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Are you saying our recruits were subpar and our coach is solely responsible for turning them into a winning unit? Because I'm pretty sure you're confusing us with Wofford.

Your Daddy (App State if you forgot. Your words not mine) has been the top 1-2 recruiter in the SoCon for quite a while. Get your story straight.

I'm saying that this awesome class that your rookie coach signed, that you have called the greatest recruiting class in FCS history. Is marginally better than Chattanooga's class. You guys have been winning recruiting battles against just about everyone in the conference for a very long time but the difference between the guy you beat everyone for and the guy we settle for is marginal.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Yup. And, you're 0-3. Sad.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I'd say welcome to the Huesman era, but we already know how that goes--mediocre records and moral victories. I'll take Satterfield.

Let's throw a hypothetical question out there. If you could have Huesman and Satterfield on your staff at ASU, which would you rather have as head coach, and which would just be a coordinator. It's really an interesting question. I know we will hear that Woody is a better DC and Satterfield is a chess master but let's really be honest here about which team has a better head coaching situation.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I'm saying that this awesome class that your rookie coach signed, that you have called the greatest recruiting class in FCS history. Is marginally better than Chattanooga's class. You guys have been winning recruiting battles against just about everyone in the conference for a very long time but the difference between the guy you beat everyone for and the guy we settle for is marginal.

I'm glad you're back. xthumbsupx

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Yup. And, you're 0-3. Sad.

3rd year meaning 2013. 0-2 dip ****e.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Let's throw a hypothetical question out there. If you could have Huesman and Satterfield on your staff at ASU, which would you rather have as head coach, and which would just be a coordinator. It's really an interesting question. I know we will hear that Woody is a better DC and Satterfield is a chess master but let's really be honest here about which team has a better head coaching situation.

I would take Huesman as a DC without question. As a HC, we know what he can do, and I would pass.

As for Satterfield, we don't know what he will do yet, but every HC had to be a first-time HC.

For now, I'll take potential over a known quantity like Huesman.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
3rd year meaning 2013. 0-2 dip ****e.

xlolx I'm predicting you'll be 0-3 after this season, get it? Based on your track record, I have a much better chance of being accurate.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I would take Huesman as a DC without question. As a HC, we know what he can do, and I would pass.

As for Satterfield, we don't know what he will do yet, but every HC had to be a first-time HC.

For now, I'll take potential over a known quantity like Huesman.

Let's paint this scenario again. Huesman and Satterfield are on a staff together at a random school. Who is chosen to be head coach?

Huesman has been a HC for 4 years. He is going to win big this year and be around for a long time. He has struggled to get over the hump, but when he does it will be a runaway train.

Apphole
May 28th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I'd take Woody over Huesman as DC. And Satterfield over Huesman for HC. I don't think there's one player, coach or aspect of the UTC program that I would objectively take in place of what we enjoy at Appalachian at this point.

Russ Huesman is a nepotist with no clue how to develop a strong offense. He is a poison. In two years we'll be reading from chattown about how Chatty would have dominated the league from 2009- if it wasn't for Huesman's poor leadership.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Let's paint this scenario again. Huesman and Satterfield are on a staff together at a random school. Who is chosen to be head coach?

Huesman has been a HC for 4 years. He is going to win big this year and be around for a long time. He has struggled to get over the hump, but when he does it will be a runaway train.

Sounds an awful lot like potential. So, are you bragging that a coach with experience may get a job over a coach with no experience? Right now, that's all Huesman has over Satterfield because performance has been lacking. I'm not sure why you're even debating this. Huesman is clearly the next Saban and Chatty is clearly the beast of the FCS, right?

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Sounds an awful lot like potential. So, are you bragging that a coach with experience may get a job over a coach with no experience? Right now, that's all Huesman has over Satterfield because performance has been lacking. I'm not sure why you're even debating this. Huesman is clearly the next Saban and Chatty is clearly the beast of the FCS, right?

I laughing because you App State folks are the only ones that think Jerry Moore's clipboard holder has done anything that warrants optimism.

Waco Kid
May 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I laughing because you App State folks are the only ones that think Jerry Moore's clipboard holder has done anything that warrants optimism.

And all Huesman has done is take a bad UTC program and turned it into a mediocre program that can't win a big game.

Apphole
May 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM

Well he put down the clip board, left App State and turned two FBS schools from bottom feeders into bowl teams before returning as the heir to the Mountaineer thrown.

Huesman still hasn't coached a playoff team since he left UR.

Russ Huesman couldn't hold Satterfield's jock even if he had his golden boy son to help him do it.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 02:22 PM

Where was Huesman a HC before Chatty? I'm guessing you were fairly optimistic for Chatty's prospects when he came home to Chatty, no?

Actually, Satterfield's resume is much more impressive prior to becoming a HC than Huesman's. Huesman is one game over .500 as a HC (I don't count the moral victories). If Huesman's HC record is the bar, I like Satterfield's chances. Try again, chattown.

AppMan
May 28th, 2013, 02:43 PM

You excel in showing your stupidity. In the 4 years prior to Jerry Moore the Mountaineers were 34-12 - 23-4 in SoCon - with 2 conference championships and 2 trips to the playoffs. Two time (in 5 seasons) SoCon Coach of the Year Sparky Woods built ASU into a championship program before taking the HC job at USC. Moore had the good fortune of inheriting a program loaded with talent and had been to the I-AA semifinals 2 years before. As an FYI, in those four years ASU was 3-1 vs UTC and outscored the Mocs 86-46. UTC's scored over half those points in their lone win, 28-24.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Where was Huesman a HC before Chatty? I'm guessing you were fairly optimistic for Chatty's prospects when he came home to Chatty, no?

Actually, Satterfield's resume is much more impressive prior to becoming a HC than Huesman's. Huesman is one game over .500 as a HC (I don't count the moral victories). If Huesman's HC record is the bar, I like Satterfield's chances. Try again, chattown.

We were a 1 win football team. You guys are about to go to FBS and fired your Hall of Famer for this guy.

AppMan
May 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Well I guess on Nov 2 we'll see how the clip board holder does against a guy who hasn't won a meaningful game.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 02:48 PM
You excel in showing your stupidity. In the 4 years prior to Jerry Moore the Mountaineers were 34-12 - 23-4 in SoCon - with 2 conference championships and 2 trips to the playoffs. Two time (in 5 seasons) SoCon Coach of the Year Sparky Woods built ASU into a championship program before taking the HC job at USC. Moore had the good fortune of inheriting a program loaded with talent and had been to the I-AA semifinals 2 years before. As an FYI, in those four years ASU was 3-1 vs UTC and outscored the Mocs 86-46. UTC's scored over half those points in their lone win, 28-24.

I'm speaking of 2012 there reject. If I was talking about the history of App State football I would have mentioned more of his accomplishments besides a conference title. GTFO

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 02:58 PM
We were a 1 win football team. You guys are about to go to FBS and fired your Hall of Famer for this guy.

Cool story. Satterfield > career clipboard-holder Huesman.

Keep in mind, Huesman got his first clipboard when I was 1 year old and finally got a HC gig when I was 27. There's probably a reason it took so long...I'm guessing his 17-16 record is a good indicator--moral victories notwithstanding.

Try again.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM

If HC experience is so valuable, what was Huesman's HC experience prior to being hired as HC at UTC? You didn't answer the question.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Cool story. Satterfield > career clipboard-holder Huesman.

Keep in mind, Huesman got his first clipboard when I was 1 year old and finally got a HC gig when I was 27. There's probably a reason it took so long...I'm guessing his 17-16 record is a good indicator--moral victories notwithstanding.

Try again.

Russ Huesman is an excellent recruiter, and excellent xs and os coach. A good motivator. Some of his late game decisions are questionable but overall he has proven himself to be a more than compitent program builder and saturday football coach. Scotty has yet to do the same.

chattownmocs
May 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
If HC experience is so valuable, what was Huesman's HC experience prior to being hired as HC at UTC? You didn't answer the question.

I think Huesman would be selected over this guy regardless. He just look and acts like a Head Coach. Scott satterfield seems like one of those hat backwards towel waivers.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Russ Huesman is an excellent recruiter, and excellent xs and os coach. A good motivator. Some of his late game decisions are questionable but overall he has proven himself to be a more than compitent program builder and saturday football coach. Scotty has yet to do the same.

What was Huesman's HC experience prior to UTC? Just answer the question. I'm not sure why the only way you can build up Huesman is to trash Satterfield. Sad man, sad.

ASUMountaineer
May 28th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I think Huesman would be selected over this guy regardless. He just look and acts like a .500 Head Coach. Scott satterfield seems like one of those hat backwards towel waivers.

FIFY.

It took Huesman 26 years to become a HC, and his resume was not as good as Satterfield's when he FINALLY got a HC job. Just stop, your posts are getting sad.

seantaylor
May 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM

Monken isn't going anywhere. He's as true blue as a coach as we've ever had. His wife is from Georgia, and loves Statesboro.

bisonnation
May 29th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Good stuff. Long term the conference will be fine. Too many good athletes down south. Honesty I didnt know that Marshall was in the SoCon. Thanks for the history lesson!

CID1990
May 29th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Good stuff. Long term the conference will be fine. Too many good athletes down south. Honesty I didnt know that Marshall was in the SoCon. Thanks for the history lesson!

Marshall was a blight on the SoCon. We were all happy to see them go.

Sir William
May 29th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Marshall was a blight on the SoCon. We were all happy to see them go.

The most obnoxious and insufferable fans ever.

asumike83
May 29th, 2013, 09:25 AM

... and that whole rampant cheating thing too.

Going over to the FBS boards now, it is amusing to hear some of the Marshall fans beat their chest. Apparently, a few years in between major NCAA violations really goes to your head in Huntington. Every accomplishment they've ever had (IAA titles, MAC titles, C-USA invite) has been tainted by academic fraud, payments to players and the dreaded "lack of institutional control" ruling by the NCAA. I'm still shocked that those IAA titles have not been vacated. They pretty much wrote a manual on how NOT to run an athletic department.

parr90
May 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I always felt like Marshalls success in FBS would be short lived. They have had a couple good seasons but overall they just havent done anything as far as continuing to grow become more dominant. I felt like recruiting was going to be an issue for them at the FBS level as far as continuing to get enough talent to move forward in the aspect of where they wanted to be. They recruit hard in Georgia and it just hasnt paid off for them. Troy and some other new FBS programs hurt them in recruiting and the emergence with App and GSU are going to hurt them as well.

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I always felt like Marshalls success in FBS would be short lived. They have had a couple good seasons but overall they just havent done anything as far as continuing to grow become more dominant. I felt like recruiting was going to be an issue for them at the FBS level as far as continuing to get enough talent to move forward in the aspect of where they wanted to be. They recruit hard in Georgia and it just hasnt paid off for them. Troy and some other new FBS programs hurt them in recruiting and the emergence with App and GSU are going to hurt them as well.

Marshall is a cautionary tale either way. Either "how not to successfully transition to the FBS" or "this is what happens to good IAA programs that reach too far"

WH49er
May 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Marshall has had their issues in the past but the next couple of years look bright for them as they are expected to compete for the CUSA championship and brought in one of the top 2013 recruiting classes for a team in a non-AQ conference. That being said they are still from WV....

Apphole
May 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Marshall has had their issues in the past but the next couple of years look bright for them as they are expected to compete for the CUSA championship and brought in one of the top 2013 recruiting classes for a team in a non-AQ conference. That being said they are still from WV....

That's great that they scored a good class, but I think any on-field prowess they might experience in the near future will be more of a testament to the shoddy state of CUSA football than Marshall getting over the hump. Honestly, there are 4 Sun Belt teams that would win CUSA.

Agree about WV though. xlolx

WH49er
May 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
That's great that they scored a good class, but I think any on-field prowess they might experience in the near future will be more of a testament to the shoddy state of CUSA football than Marshall getting over the hump. Honestly, there are 4 Sun Belt teams that would win CUSA.

Agree about WV though. xlolx

One bad year and CUSA is in a "shoddy state", I love it. You do realize the SunBelt just took NMSU, Idaho, and Ga State right? There is a reason that ULL and Arkansas State are just begging to get out of that conference.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM
One bad year and CUSA is in a "shoddy state", I love it. You do realize the SunBelt just took NMSU, Idaho, and Ga State right? There is a reason that ULL and Arkansas State are just begging to get out of that conference.

Right, just as there was a reason ECU was begging to get out of CUSA. Why do we act like one conference is superior to the other. I'm sure that the majority of CFB fans recognize that both are on pretty equal footing currently with each other, as well as the MAC.

My current rankings:

1) MWC
2) AAC
5) SBC, CUSA, MAC

AppMan
May 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I'm speaking of 2012 there reject. If I was talking about the history of App State football I would have mentioned more of his accomplishments besides a conference title. GTFO

You want me to believe you had only 2012 in mind when you wrote "and the coach who made that chicken **** of a football team into a conference champion was fired". You will have to pardon my skepticism considering the coach who turned, as you say, that "chicken **** of a football team" into a conference champion was also responsible for creating the "chicken **** of a football team". First time I've ever seen someone bust on then defend the same person in the same sentence. Nice try, but son I hate to tell ya but nobody's buying what you're selling.

On a side note. I enjoy these rational and thoughtful discussions, but why some child posing as an adult can't communicate their thoughts without tossing in profanity laced insults is beyond me. Perhaps you wish to come across as some bad hombre, but all it really does is indicate you to be a unintelligent boob. If you ever expect others to take you seriously, which as of now they don't, it would be wise to stop with the childish and disrespectful profanity laced comments and show a measure of maturity.

WH49er
May 29th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Why do we act like one conference is superior to the other.

It's the nature of the beast in sports. It just like the Georgia, South Carolina, etc. fans who pimp the SEC's 7 straight national championships even though their teams didn't win one of them.

Apphole
May 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM

One bad year, the loss of the top teams to the AAC, and the acquisition of the worse teams in the Sun Belt not named Georgia State, the pickup of a startup FCS team in UNCC (albeit you did do well to acquire ODU, WKU and MTSU). That is as shoddy a state as CUSA has ever known and it is a much more shoddy state that what we enjoy in the SBC (football wise). Marshal should have no trouble as one of the last remaining decent football programs in CUSA.

In all fairness, all mid major FBS football has really taken a hit. We're all just fighting for scraps and even though the SBC is a better football conference than CUSA, it's not like either of us are playing in the BCS.

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2013, 12:47 PM
It's the nature of the beast in sports. It just like the Georgia, South Carolina, etc. fans who pimp the SEC's 7 straight national championships even though their teams didn't win one of them.

SEC is a bad example. That crowd actually is better than everyone else.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2013, 01:04 PM

I run across a lot of USuC fans. When they start talking about USuC I just start chanting "SEC SEC SEC!" That's usually all they've got.

WH49er
May 29th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I run across a lot of USuC fans. When they start talking about USuC I just start chanting "SEC SEC SEC!" That's usually all they've got.

They are a reverse image of UNC Chapel Hill. Anytime I hear one of them running their mouth, I ask them about their basketball program.

WH49er
May 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM
In all fairness, all mid major FBS football has really taken a hit. We're all just fighting for scraps and even though the SBC is a better football conference than CUSA, it's not like either of us are playing in the BCS.

Very true, you have wonder how long the AQ conferences will put up with their perennial bottom dwellers? A program like Wake Forest cashes their ACC check every year and doesn't carry their weight.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2013, 01:30 PM
They are a reverse image of UNC Chapel Hill. Anytime I hear one of them running their mouth, I ask them about their basketball program.

xlolx

asumike83
May 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM

They do have a baseball stadium that puts most AAA parks to shame. I'd punch a puppy to have that thing in Boone.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM
They do have a baseball stadium that puts most AAA parks to shame. I'd punch a puppy to have that thing in Boone.

Very true. It's a shame such a nice stadium is in such a craphole like Columbia.

Apphole
May 29th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Very true. It's a shame such a nice stadium is in such a craphole like Columbia.

I'm sure you've seen Williams Brice as you're driving down 85. It seems like the biggest and nicest building in the city. It looks like Godzilla died and his dried ribcage is the highest point in Columbia.

CID1990
May 29th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I'm sure you've seen Williams Brice as you're driving down 85. It seems like the biggest and nicest building in the city. It looks like Godzilla died and his dried ribcage is the highest point in Columbia.

If you can see Williams Brice from I-85 then you need to sell your eyes to science.

Apphole
May 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM
If you can see Williams Brice from I-85 then you need to sell your eyes to science.

77 south. Oops

parr90
May 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Most SEC fans don't care how successful their basketball programs are, they care about football. As far as the SEC chant it may seem gay but I would have put my money on several SEC teams besides Bama to beat ND this past year. They do have the best football conference overall.

ThompsonThe
June 4th, 2013, 04:35 AM

The most honest and to the point post I have ever seen.
That's why I personally didn't want to be in CUSA with Marshall.

ThompsonThe
June 4th, 2013, 04:40 AM
From everything that I have read they have had two fantastic recruiting classes and should be good on the field the next few years.
Hate to say it though.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 04:57 AM
From everything that I have read they have had two fantastic recruiting classes and should be good on the field the next few years.
Hate to say it though.

Even if that is true, its been nearly 20 years since they moved up.

ThompsonThe
June 4th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Very true. Has been a long time.
Of course also read that Western Carolina had the best recruiting class for a couple of years in the SoCon.
Never believed it and certainly never saw the results on the field.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Even if that is true, its been nearly 20 years since they moved up.

Marshall is dead to me. I don't follow news about them at all.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
The most honest and to the point post I have ever seen.
That's why I personally didn't want to be in CUSA with Marshall.

In 95 when we went down there to play I wouldn't have agreed with this because they were very nice to us and we had a good time partying with them although in conversations at the bars before the game they were overall very disrespectful pieces of dung when talking about their conference and how they were more on the level with WVU than the rest of the SoCon Right after the game walking out the attitude was different in that about 1/2 of the formerly decent people were no longer decent...

In 1996 they were much different and were overall a large majority of douchebags and one of them even got his ass knocked out by a friend of mine prior to the game. It was the only victory of note the Griz had that day.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 12:35 PM
They have lots of douche fans, and their sideline activities during many games werent just bush league, they should have been spanked by the NCAA. Things like cutting headphone lines, you name it.

I watched that dumb movie once and found myself pulling for Xavier to win that game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 4th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Marshall fans more rude than our students and the yokels that sit on the visiting team's side of our stadium? No way! xcoolx

Monken isn't going anywhere. He's as true blue as a coach as we've ever had. His wife is from Georgia, and loves Statesboro.

He will probably he harder to pluck from Statesboro than most people, but make no mistake, if he gets called up to a 7-figure job, he is gone.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Marshall fans more rude than our students and the yokels that sit on the visiting team's side of our stadium? No way! xcoolx

He will probably he harder to pluck from Statesboro than most people, but make no mistake, if he gets called up to a 7-figure job, he is gone.

I think the fact that GT is the only BCS team that runs the TO will have more to do with retaining Monken than him being a True Blue. There's no demand.