PDA

View Full Version : new SoCon will be football friendly. only 1 non-football school.

catamount man
May 23rd, 2013, 08:48 PM
xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

GO CATS!

ElonFirefighter
May 23rd, 2013, 08:50 PM
WCU plays football???

catamount man
May 23rd, 2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah, before 2006, we had smacked Elon's ass 3 years running. The whole SoCon is gonna unleash hell this year on you guys. Nobody has ever cared for you in the conference and you'll see why Oct 26 in Cullowhee. CAA? Pathetic!

ElonFirefighter
May 23rd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Calm down just poking fun. Yes western has had our number a few times

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah, before 2006, we had smacked Elon's ass 3 years running. The whole SoCon is gonna unleash hell this year on you guys. Nobody has ever cared for you in the conference and you'll see why Oct 26 in Cullowhee. CAA? Pathetic!

Now come on, they accepted an invitation to the CAA today.

They now think they have earned the right to be arrogant, just like some other fans that are departing the SoCon.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
WCU plays football???

The irony makes me want to fall down with my tongue hanging out

Seriously, good luck in the CAA. Hope you guys don't have to cajole your way back into the SoCon in a few years.

Sent from the center of the universe.

catamount man
May 23rd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Calm down just poking fun. Yes western has had our number a few times

Sorry. Good luck except 10/26. GO CATS!

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Regardless of SOS ratings and RPI's, the core group of SoCon fans will have fun watching football on Saturday afternoons and evenings.

UNG-G will be the outlier, but hasn't excelled as Davidson did (and CofC thought they did). They are mostly harmless.

Tealblood
May 24th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Has anybody seen a commitment from Mercer for any scholarships in football

I don't think you just make an at least 3 million dollar a year upgrade without some official word

ElonFirefighter
May 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Sorry. Good luck except 10/26. GO CATS!

not a problem its hard to read sarcasm over a computer

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Has anybody seen a commitment from Mercer for any scholarships in football

I don't think you just make an at least 3 million dollar a year upgrade without some official word

Nothing official. Most people seem to think that Mercer will not be asked into the SoCon without an official commitment to scholarship football.

I can tell you I've been by their stadium a number of times. They have made a commitment to the football program out of the gate. I would compare their facilities as similar to those at Elon and Samford. Capacity has already has been expanded from an original 8,000 to 10,200. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moye_Complex)

Just a brief search indicates that Mercer's facilities already far exceed most of the other Pioneer League schools in terms of capacity, quality, etc. Frankly, their facilities are already on par with what I would expect in a SoCon program (their basketball arena is top notch as well).

ElonFirefighter
May 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Regardless of SOS ratings and RPI's, the core group of SoCon fans will have fun watching football on Saturday afternoons and evenings.

UNG-G will be the outlier, but hasn't excelled as Davidson did (and CofC thought they did). They are mostly harmless.

I will be intrested to see what UNCG does, now being the last non-football. The are out voted so i doubt any more non-football teams will come in.

dgtw
May 24th, 2013, 08:03 AM
UNCG is also now the northeasternmost school in the conference. I wonder if that plus the no football deal will cause them to look elsewhere.

ElonFirefighter
May 24th, 2013, 08:11 AM
It could be a domino effect. Uncg leaves, leaving Wcu the only nc school so Wcu looks elsewhere.... I see it possible getting worse for the socon

The Cats
May 24th, 2013, 08:23 AM
It could be a domino effect. Uncg leaves, leaving Wcu the only nc school so Wcu looks elsewhere.... I see it possible getting worse for the socon

If the only remaining basketball school decides to leave for a basketball centered conference, both UNCG and the SoCon will be fine, however, they are welcome to say if they think it's in their best interest. Western is happy in the SoCon, even if they become the only representative from NC in the conference. The SoCon is not your worry now.

ASUMountaineer
May 24th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Now come on, they accepted an invitation to the CAA today.

They now think they have earned the right to be arrogant, just like some other fans that are departing the SoCon.

What does Davidson's 3 fans have to do with this?!? xsmhx

catamount man
May 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
If the only remaining basketball school decides to leave for a basketball centered conference, both UNCG and the SoCon will be fine, however, they are welcome to say if they think it's in their best interest. Western is happy in the SoCon, even if they become the only representative from NC in the conference. The SoCon is not your worry now.

Exactly. I don't get the SoCon "doom and gloom". I quit posting on CATAMOUNT PRIDE because "FLCATAMOUNT" constantly, constantly is bemoaning the "death" of the conference, calling out WCU leaders for being "status quo", etc. Rabidcat, a former WCU football player, is the ONLY voice of sanity on that board. WCU now has a chance to compete again. I hate to put it that way, but we'd dug such a hole under prior leadership that there was no way we were gonna ever be in the same league with App or GSU again. We don't have to worry about that now.

Aside from last year's Wofford and Furman losses, WCU was in their games with Samford, El Cid and Chatt(until halftime). WCU has historically dominated VMI in football, neck and neck with ETSU. Am I the only Catamount fan who is NOT salivating at the new SoCon?!

The money from the FBS games helps as well and our leaders ARE in the process of a longterm commitment to athletics. You can't build Rome in one day and WCU, I hate to say it, suffered under THIRTY YEARS of inept leadership. But to read CP, you'd think we had a one way ticket to d2 and the SAC. ARGH! WCU and the SoCon are gonna be fine. Looking forward to a mountain rivalry with the group from Johnson City.

GO CATS!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Exactly. I don't get the SoCon "doom and gloom". I quit posting on CATAMOUNT PRIDE because "FLCATAMOUNT" constantly, constantly is bemoaning the "death" of the conference, calling out WCU leaders for being "status quo", etc.

So Apphole has finally discovered how to post under a pseudonym, I see.

Apphole
May 24th, 2013, 09:02 AM
So Apphole has finally discovered how to post under a pseudonym, I see.

The irony here is that "Apphole" is a pseudonym. I have brand continuity everywhere else.

CID1990
May 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM

WCU is not leaving. What UNCG does has no effect on that. I think the only thing that could have made a pull on WCU is if ASU had made a lateral FCS conference transfer.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Lehigh'98
May 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM
The irony here is that "Apphole" is a pseudonym. I have brand continuity everywhere else.

This is one of the strangest things I have ever heard.

Apphole
May 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
This is one of the strangest things I have ever heard.

Explanatory PM sent.

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Exactly. I don't get the SoCon "doom and gloom".

you're absolutely right. the socon will be fine. they need to act, get the schools in that they want and stabilize, but they'll be fine. elon fans were happy here. we'll be happy in the caa hopefully. you'll get no doom and gloom from us other than the commish is an idiot.