PDA

View Full Version : Elon to the CAA (Official Release)

danefan
May 23rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Thought it deserved its own thread now that its official.

Welcome to CAA football!

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207795069&DB_OEM_ID=8500&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=8500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

RICHMOND, Va. (May 23, 2013) – Elon University has accepted an invitation of membership to join the Colonial Athletic Association beginning July 1, 2014, CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager announced today.

“The member institutions of the CAA are thrilled that Elon has accepted our offer of membership,” CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager said. “We have been selectively searching for highly respected institutions that shared a common vision of institutional excellence and a commitment to the success of the young men and women participating in our athletic programs. Elon fits our model and will immediately become a valuable conference partner helping to elevate each individual institution.”

“On behalf of the presidents I want to express my great excitement that Elon has accepted our invitation to join the CAA in the 2014-15 academic year and to welcome President Lambert and the Phoenix family to the conference,” said UNCW Chancellor Gary L. Miller, who is the chair of the CAA Council of Presidents. “Elon brings the excellent academic and athletic reputation that is the hallmark of the conference. Having Elon with us will deepen long standing rivalries, create new competitive opportunities and support the important geographic footprint of the conference.”

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/640/ZR/ZRBSILWMFRKUIZC.20130523125459.jpg

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Welcome Elon!

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
From the South Atlantic Conference to the CAA...quite a winding road for the Fighting Christians over these last 20 years.

Now about that gym...
http://www.elonphoenix.com/sports/2010/8/16/Fac_0816103912.aspx?id=38

SpeedkingATL
May 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hate to see them leave the SoCon but they might be a better fit in the CAA.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Congrats Elon.

danefan
May 23rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
So I assume we go with divisional set up in 2014?

North: Albany, Stony Brook, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova
South: Delaware, James Madison, W&M, Richmond, Towson, Elon

Each team gets 3 cross-divisional games?

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM

Pretty good bet.

superman7515
There will have to be a locked-in game because there's no way Delaware/Villanova doesn't happen every year.

Lehigh Football Nation

Seems pretty logical to me.

EDIT: With the lock-in game as Supe mentioned.

Tribal
May 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
There will have to be a locked-in game because there's no way Delaware/Villanova doesn't happen every year.

Like W&M/UR...always the last game of the year and oldest rivalry in the south.

hapapp
May 23rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
Will be an interesting SoCon basketball tourney in March 2014 with so many folks departing.

Good luck to the Phoenix in their new home starting in July 2014.

Also hoping the SoCon can solidify themselves with some good additions.

superman7515
May 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah but you're in the same division, with Nova in the North and Delaware in the South, there would have to be some concession made for a cross divisional game that happens every year.

kdinva
May 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM

and from a geography point of view, that's the only "locked in" cross division game that makes sense to happen each year........

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Iamarino on Elon: "They're your problem now, CAA."

Big Bird might want to close the beak. Worst. Commissioner. Ever.

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 02:26 PM

What is left, 7 schools? Sounds to me like the SoCon is in deep trouble.

asumike83
May 23rd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Wow, talk about an unprofessional leader. Iamarino had a couple of interesting quotes in the presser:

"It became increasingly evident that Elon’s negative view of the diversity in the SoCon was not shared"

"They're your problem now, CAA."

Mountaineer
May 23rd, 2013, 02:30 PM

No worries - ETSU, VMI, and Mercer to the rescue.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:31 PM

Occurring to some on this forum, that type of post is classless and arrogant. Prepare to be attacked, and have your conference attacked, for making such an observation, only to be condemned as some kind of "meanie."

Paging the El Cid fan, LFN and all the other members of that radical group. We have another infidel. He must be addressed immediately if your delusions are going to survive. The SoCon is just fine. Nothing to see here. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 02:32 PM
so, a school wants to go a direction that they want and he makes that comment. that's like going after app and gsu for not liking the diversity so they went to the sun belt. sounds like big time sour grapes to me. without davidson, elon was the only school left with most of its alumni outside of the socon area.

i like the socon, i like the socon schools, i like the trips. but this is just about as classless of a comment as you can make. if the commish makes that comment in public, imagine what happened behind closed doors.

Mountaineer
May 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Wow, talk about an unprofessional leader. Iamarino had a couple of interesting quotes in the presser:

"It became increasingly evident that Elon’s negative view of the diversity in the SoCon was not shared"

"They're your problem now, CAA."

Yikes. I thought that was a quote Apphole had made up. Wow. xlolx

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
No worries - ETSU, VMI, and Mercer to the rescue.

With Citadel, Furman and Wofford representing the SoCon in the FCS playoffs, most likely winning a fair number of games.

Seems fine to me.

Mountaineer
May 23rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
With Citadel, Furman and Wofford representing the SoCon in the FCS playoffs, most likely winning a fair number of games.

Seems fine to me.

They're going to have to get by Chattanooga first, but yeah, should be the playoff gravy train..

GATA_Eagles
May 23rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
SoCon official release regarding Elon:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino released the following statement regarding Elon University:

“In recent years, it became increasingly evident that Elon’s negative view of the diversity in the Southern Conference was not shared by the majority of the membership. Our core group remains firmly committed to each other and to the academic and athletic success of the Southern Conference. We are preparing specific initiatives to achieve that success.”

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
also i find it interesting as to what diversity he may mean. it could be viewed that elon is leaving a the socon and going to a conference that has even crazier diversity.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
so, a school wants to go a direction that they want and he makes that comment. that's like going after app and gsu for not liking the diversity so they went to the sun belt. sounds like big time sour grapes to me. without davidson, elon was the only school left with most of its alumni outside of the socon area.

Now you're talking. It's amazing the perspective that's gained once a fan's school leaves the conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Official reaction...

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207798261&DB_OEM_ID=4000

What can I say... Holy Crap.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
also i find it interesting as to what diversity he may mean. it could be viewed that elon is leaving a the socon and going to a conference that has even crazier diversity.

Religious diversity, obviously.

I can only assume that Elon only accepts students that have accepted Jesus into their hearts. All others need not apply.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM

I can only assume that Elon only accepts students that have accepted Jesus into their hearts. All others need not apply.

asucrutch23
May 23rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Just so I'm clear, did he really say "They're your problem now, CAA."? Or was that poetic license taken by Apphole?

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 02:55 PM

you do realize that elon isn't sanctioned by a christian church?

Go...gate
May 23rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
From the South Atlantic Conference to the CAA...quite a winding road for the Fighting Christians over these last 20 years.

Now about that gym...
http://www.elonphoenix.com/sports/2010/8/16/Fac_0816103912.aspx?id=38

I kinda like it, actually.

kdinva
May 23rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Official reaction...

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207798261&DB_OEM_ID=4000

What can I say... Holy Crap.

So, Elon should have moved back to the Big south, to be with Liberty......VMI and Elon traded places 10 years ago, why not again in reverse?

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Just so I'm clear, did he really say "They're your problem now, CAA."? Or was that poetic license taken by Apphole?

Oh no, I wouldn't dream of misquoting Big Bird. He said it in a teleconference and it's all over twitter.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 03:11 PM
you do realize that elon isn't sanctioned by a christian church?

Elon is no longer a Methodist school? They were when I was there.

T-Dog
May 23rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
If the remaining membership decides to punish all departing members because of Elon alleged sins, then us football schools will no problem going Sherman on the conference.

rokamortis
May 23rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Oh no, I wouldn't dream of misquoting Big Bird. He said it in a teleconference and it's all over twitter.

What a d-bag.

I wonder what his meaning of diversity is. Did Elon not like the lower academic schools? Because the CAA seems to be more of a diverse grouping to me.

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
A bizarre statement:

I would have thought that diversity would have several connotations:
1) Diversity in institutional size (If Elon hated that, then ASU and GSU leaving should have made it better.)
2) FB vs non-FB schools (Davy and CofC leaving should have made that better)
3) Public vs private (there are fewer privates in the CAA)
4) Maybe they don't like Baptists (if Mercer joins, the SoCon will have 2.5 Baptist schools - FU broke ties but still has a lot of dunkers)(I don't think we lowly Methodists would run them off)(Elon has historic ties to the Church of Christ)

The commish obviously has known for a long time that Elon was leaving, and probably had advance notice, so he had to have thought this out. Obviously, this thing has been brewing for years. I wonder if they didn't like UTC, WCU, ASU, and GSU and flipped out when ETSU was discussed.

IF Elon were so out of step with the rest of the conference for at least "recent years", I think something would have come up on AGS at some point.

asumike83
May 23rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
What a d-bag.

I wonder what his meaning of diversity is. Did Elon not like the lower academic schools? Because the CAA seems to be more of a diverse grouping to me.

It is a real head-scratcher. Based on the Burlington newspaper article, Elon did not want ETSU/VMI. Certainly don't think VMI is an academic concern, not sure what their opposition to ETSU was.

Regardless, making public statements like that are just so uncalled for. I'm sure the prospective members are thrilled about being a member of a conference led by Iamarino after seeing how he deals with schools who don't agree with him.

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM

Elon was originally founded by The Christian Church which later merged into the Church of Christ. At some point they severed formal ties and apparently have a Furmanesque relationship to that church.

bigred
May 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I am thinking just the opposite. I am thinking that Elon was less than forthcoming with the SOCON leadership and now they feel burned. Does not excuse what he says, but this dude has to feel betrayed in one way or another to come out with that venom. IMO I think that Elon will regret this move in the long run. With the potential exodus of other CAA teams that are in the "Elon Footprint"....man that travel schedule will be brutal for 18 to 22 year olds that also trying to be student athletes. You never know though....best of luck to the Christians.

asumike83
May 23rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
I am thinking just the opposite. I am thinking that Elon was less than forthcoming with the SOCON leadership and now they feel burned. Does not excuse what he says, but this dude has to feel betrayed in one way or another to come out with that venom. IMO I think that Elon will regret this move in the long run. With the potential exodus of other CAA teams that are in the "Elon Footprint"....man that travel schedule will be brutal for 18 to 22 year olds that also trying to be student athletes. You never know though....best of luck to the Christians.

Hard to say but if I've known that Elon had a foot out the door to the CAA for the last few months and Iamarino was taken by surprise... that is a problem.

WUTNDITWAA
May 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
Too early for this?

Congratulations Elon Phoenix Football
2014 Colonial Athletic Association Champions.

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 03:27 PM

they were united church of christ and still are loosely affiliated but dropped the sanctioning a while ago, before we were division i

SpiritCymbal

Please tell me there's a recording of this somewhere!

That guy must have been PISSSSSEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!

walliver
Hard to say but if I've known that Elon had a foot out the door to the CAA for the last few months and Iamarino was taken by surprise... that is a problem.

His statement yesterday that Elon would be deciding in the next few weeks, if not days, demonstrates that he obviously knew this was coming. The only departure which apparently caught him off guard was Davidson.

Even if he was pissed at their decision, he had enough time to come up with a proper response.

phoenix3
May 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
This is what one Elon poster had to say:

Why was Imorono more negative toward us than C of C? They were the first to leave, so it was no big deal. Even App & GSU had already announced their intention to move up. The BIG kick in the balls was Davidson. That came as a complete surprise to (no one other than) Imorono. He was virtually speechless. With Elon, he is a wounded cornered dog. He's lashing out because his job is, no doubt, now in jeopardy. I think it's perfectly understandable given his position. I just want to know what EXACTLY the statement "Elon's negative view of the diversity in the Southern Conference", means.

Read more: http://elonphans.proboards.com/thread/2890/elon-join-caa?page=4#ixzz2U9L5HuAv

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
There are rumors on CSNBBS of Furman looking to jump ship for the CAA. Not attesting to that rumor's validity, but I would love to be a fly on the wall if/when Big Bird receives that news. xlolx

SpiritCymbal
May 23rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
so, a school wants to go a direction that they want and he makes that comment. that's like going after app and gsu for not liking the diversity so they went to the sun belt. sounds like big time sour grapes to me.

The difference in reaction between the two different situations makes me think that perhaps Elon and/or the CAA weren't as open and forthcoming about their efforts to move to a different conference than the other 4 defections were. He went out of his way after the GSU & ASU pressers to say that the SoCon was ready for it and that both schools as well as the SBC had kept him and the other members well informed about their intentions and actions. Nor did he react nearly like this when Davidson and Charleston announced they were leaving.

ETSUfan1
May 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Does the CAA want another Southern school or are they looking to try and add Albany or Stony Brook instead?

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
The difference in reaction between the two different situations makes me think that perhaps Elon and/or the CAA weren't as open and forthcoming about their efforts to move to a different conference than the other 4 defections were. He went out of his way after the GSU & ASU pressers to say that the SoCon was ready for it and that both schools as well as the SBC had kept him and the other members well informed about their intentions and actions. Nor did he react nearly like this when Davidson and Charleston announced they were leaving.

from what i understand, the socon leadership has known about this for months, going back to the charleston timeframe

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
There are rumors on CSNBBS of Furman looking to jump ship for the CAA. Not attesting to that rumor's validity, but I would love to be a fly on the wall if/when Big Bird receives that news. xlolx

There are always rumors of Furman going to the CAA going back to the late '90's.

Even if FU were so inclined, their president just resigned, and most likely they would have a new administration in place before making a conference move.

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 03:37 PM
There are always rumors of Furman going to the CAA going back to the late '90's.

Even if FU were so inclined, their president just resigned, and most likely they would have a new administration in place before making a conference move.

doubtful since the trustees are technically in charge

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2013, 03:37 PM

Just for arguments sake, the SoCon reportedly was adding three football schools while losing two. Ten football schools gains little, so I imagine the front office knew of Elon's intentions a while ago (ergo, why you add three instead of two to replace ASU/GSU).

SpiritCymbal
May 23rd, 2013, 03:42 PM
from what i understand, the socon leadership has known about this for months, going back to the charleston timeframe

My other guess would be maybe he's ticked at the timing considering the baseball tournament is going on right now? Was there a reason why Elon and CAA couldn't wait till after the SoCon tourney was over?

All guesses of course......

SpiritCymbal
May 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM

That could just be a case of rumors making a full circle on messageboards. Someone read it on here and posted it over there. Now people from here see it over there and repost it over here...when it all began here in the first place.

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
My other guess would be maybe he's ticked at the timing considering the baseball tournament is going on right now? Was there a reason why Elon and CAA couldn't wait till after the SoCon tourney was over?

All guesses of course......

I can't see that would make a big difference. Elon will still be in the SoCon until Juky 2014.
It also would appear to be in the conference's best interest for this to be announced before the meeting next week.

I wonder if Elon is trying to take a current or prospective member to CAA with them (FU or Mercer).

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
the only thing i will say about rumors on those boards is this:

rumor: davidson, app, charleston to caa
truth: came out last june that it was true for discussions

rumor: albany and stony brook to caa football
truth: ended up happening

rumor: davidson and a-10
truth: ended up being true

rumor: elon to caa

rumor: since circa the elon and caa time, furman and the caa

is there truth? we have to wait and see. but furman, like elon, did come out near the same time as elon and say that they were dedicated to the socon

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM

That is probably the most critical point of the whole deal.

The interim guy is supposedly "athletic friendly," but even then, these type of commitments are not one to be taken lightly.

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
the only thing i will say about rumors on those boards is this:

rumor: davidson, app, charleston to caa
truth: came out last june that it was true for discussions

rumor: albany and stony brook to caa football
truth: ended up happening

rumor: davidson and a-10

rumor: elon to caa

rumor: since circa the elon and caa time, furman and the caa

is there truth? we have to wait and see. but furman, like elon, did come out near the same time as elon and say that they were dedicated to the socon

Yes, but unlike Elon, Furman has been dedicated to the SoCon since the Depression.

I don't have a problem with Elon, but its going to take a lot more than Elon to cajole Furman out of the SoCon. I don't see how "hey, be part of the CAA's southern division and play Elon" is a big sell for Furman.

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
i understand, but be part of the south division and play richmond and william and mary too? plus other factors? i just don't know. could all be speculation, at this point, nothing would surprise me anymore.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
i understand, but be part of the south division and play richmond and william and mary too? plus other factors? i just don't know. could all be speculation, at this point, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Not to mention fabulous trips to: Albany, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.

dungeonjoe
May 23rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
The SoCon's official statement:
“In recent years, it became increasingly evident that Elon’s negative view of the diversity in the Southern Conference was not shared by the majority of the membership. Our core group remains firmly committed to each other and to the academic and athletic success of the Southern Conference. We are preparing specific initiatives to achieve that success.”

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Not to mention fabulous trips to: Albany, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.

that's football only so far. that won't be every year. and that'll be another division.

thank you, come again

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
that's football only so far. that won't be every year. and that'll be another division.

thank you, come again

South Carolina SoCon schools' trips to New England for conference play now = 0

End.

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
South Carolina SoCon schools' trips to New England for conference play now = 0

End.

LOL LOL LOL

uh.... charleston to northeastern.

and for the dense ones, that is Charleston, SC (with CAPS) to Northeastern in MA (in New England and with CAPS)

thank you, come again

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Which part of "South Carolina SoCon schools' " is beyond your comprehension?

Furman, Citadel and Wofford make zero trips to New England now. They're not signing up to make multiple trips up there per year in football.

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 04:55 PM

thank you, come again

You'll still be playing them, and taking your largest team. You will not play each one every year, but you will play them.

superman7515
May 23rd, 2013, 05:01 PM

Looks like Delaware & Villanova may get to stay together after all.

CAA Football Could Return To Divisions (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/05/23/caa-football-could-return-to-divisions/#ixzz2U9cTB4KK)

"We're going to be creative to make the best kind of scheduling decisions for our schools," Yeager said. "It might be something that's a lot better than just dividing it right down the middle and going six and six."

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2013, 05:02 PM
"We're going to be creative to make the best kind of scheduling decisions for our schools," Yeager said. "It might be something that's a lot better than just dividing it right down the middle and going six and six."

Translation: "I have no frigging idea".

superman7515
May 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Translation: "Stony Brook is used to the rides south, Delaware & Villanova will stay together in the north."

FIFY

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
FIFY

Ha! Translation of translation: "screw you Stony Brook - welcome to the CAA."

It seems to me that Elon is *desperate* to show off to all its northern alumni...maybe they should do a northern tour and be in the north division??

fc97
May 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
look and read.

you said "South Carolina SoCon schools' trips to New England for conference play now = 0"

and i said south carolina socon school trips to new england, by choice, is charleston to new england. one has already made the decision it is something is worth it.

i really dont understand your obsession over any other school, you post and make up stuff about every school but your own and on multiple boards to boot

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
I was obviously talking about Furman, Citadel and Wofford.

CoC leaves the SoCon for the CAA (therefore requiring trips to NE) in 2013.

Don't be obtuse.

asucrutch23
May 23rd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Iamarino: "Well I could be wrong, but I believe Diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War Era."

AppMan
May 23rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
I have a lot of friends in athletic administration of the older SoCon schools. At the baseball tournament today I was told Elon never embraced or became a part of the conference. Their leadership has been hard to deal with and they rarely worked or cooperated with member schools. They do not support the schools being targeted for expansion and from what I'm told have been very vocal about it in conference meetings. I've been around a long time and from conversations with people back when ASU & Elon were in the Carolina's Conference together told me they would never work in the SoCon. Most know I have been a big opponent of Elon and vilified by Elon fans for it. The only reason Elon got in was because of the good ole boy network from Danny Morrison's tenure as SoCon Commish. App's administration knew Elon was never going to be a good fit for this Southern based conference and abstained from voting to admit them. Elon has a completely different mind set than the rest of the schools in the SoCon and I honestly think they have been a big contributor to the destruction of the conference. App and GSU would have still made the move to FBS, but their divisiveness has caused a lot of animosity among the league members. Even this writer from their hometown newspaper The Burlington Times knows the score.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/elon-sports/sutton-column-elon-s-parting-shots-genius-move-or-just-ungrateful-1.147510

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 10:30 PM
I have a lot of friends in athletic administration of the older SoCon schools. At the baseball tournament today I was told Elon never embraced or became a part of the conference. Their leadership has been hard to deal with and they rarely worked or cooperated with member schools. They do not support the schools being targeted for expansion and from what I'm told have been very vocal about it in conference meetings. I've been around a long time and from conversations with people back when ASU & Elon were in the Carolina's Conference together told me they would never work in the SoCon. Most know I have been a big opponent of Elon and vilified by Elon fans for it. The only reason Elon got in was because of the good ole boy network from Danny Morrison's tenure as SoCon Commish. App's administration knew Elon was never going to be a good fit for this Southern based conference and abstained from voting to admit them. Elon has a completely different mind set than the rest of the schools in the SoCon and I honestly think they have been a big contributor to the destruction of the conference. App and GSU would have still made the move to FBS, but their divisiveness has caused a lot of animosity among the league members. Even this writer from their hometown newspaper The Burlington Times knows the score.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/elon-sports/sutton-column-elon-s-parting-shots-genius-move-or-just-ungrateful-1.147510

Thanks for the information, I'd say that is certainly not common knowledge.

If what you are saying is correct, and I have no basis to doubt you, then Iamarino's quotes are not off base after all, he just let the world know what he's been having to deal with in Elon.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 11:06 PM
If this is true then the SoCon is better off without them.

However, I would ask the Elon powers that be (the same as I ask everyone else).... if Mercer, ETSU and VMI are such bad choices, then who would they pick instead?

Sent from the center of the universe.

Sandlapper Spike
May 23rd, 2013, 11:21 PM

I want someone to point me to the press release or conference call in which Iamarino actually said this.

I'm rather confident that he didn't say it...

---

After Iamarino issued a press release stating "it became increasingly evident that Elon's negative view of the diversity in the Southern Conference was not shared by the majority of the membership," I basically summed up his comments on Twitter by tweeting "Iamarino: They're your problem now, CAA."

I am really curious to know if my satirical remark to David Morrison of the Greensboro News and Record was picked up and actually attributed to Iamarino. If so, it says something about the power of social media, not that anyone should be surprised.

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2013, 04:35 AM
By the way, I am really glad to see VMI return to the SoCon. Wish you had done it while we still had some years left in it. Missed you guys after you left. Am sure The Citadel is glad to see you back. Really think you would have done better in football in the SoCon the last many years. The Citadel has done OK. Sparky Woods probably is glad. Welcome back, even if premature.
Almost like old home week with ETSU and VMI headed back hopefully.

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2013, 05:10 AM
App State fans never saw eye to eye with Elon fans. Was a continuous ongoing thing.
A lot of vitriol. Could not believe some of the lowly things Elon did over the years. That's
why we called them Felon so much.
They kind of remind me of Liberty University fans. So much hatred. Unreasonable.
That's why App hasn't played Liberty in many years, that and Jerry Falwell's statements.
Have fun with Elon CAA. Let us know if you regret it.

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 05:28 AM
now before you all pile on, let's just take a look at what this appman has to say.

roughly, he's come out and added no content that continues from an opinion piece in the burlington times news and uses that to backup claims he's making after the article was published. in other words he's making the same convenient assertions after one opinion piece is published with no factual evidence. seeing how vocal his posts have been in a forum search against elon and how he's been vocal on many issues then if he was truly in the know then this kind of stuff would have been posted by him gladly over the past eleven years. but for eleven socon years, this is the first anyone is posted about us not getting along.

i call BS, big time. this is the type of news the media thrives on. its drama. and there's been enough bitter coaches, presidents and atheletics directors that have left that could have outed just the slightest bit of this information for elevent years. but, there's been nothing until the day of bitter socon reckoning. and there's no way that appman would have stayed silent on this for eleven years given hi sources and how much he's posted about elon.

let's take that a step further. everyone knew the caa approached elon before the socon did but elon past because they needed a football home.

let's take it a step further. elon is now in a conference with charleston. if elon had been so hard to work with, charleston wouldnt have been in support of us moving there, nor davidson at the time. elon and furman also have a very good working relationship. and if that was the case, you wouldn't see other socon members (and there are some) also trying to go to a league where elon is going to be. this all doesn't point to an elon problem.

what is a conference like the socon? its a loose affiliation of a bunch of independent bodies. roughly, the conference is created around providing a confederation to further advance the school in many ways. so, is it so hard to believe that app and gsu were so vocal against the new additions of vmi, mercer and etsu? they were in good standing at the time and went to the press in their opposition quoted in the savannah and statesboro papers. davidson mislead the conference, which isn't against the rules, and was against all the new members. but the left without a word from the conference or press against them.

no, it took us because the conference is going in a direction that our school doesn't want to go. and somehow we're singled out and vilified for that. so elon was against all three members. so what? they're voting in the best interest of elon. what did elon want? well, funny that all anyone like appman can say is they were against, they can't tell who the socon was in support of. why? because these types of people don't know.

so why, when elon chooses to move to a conference that supports its alumni footprint better, is that such a bad thing?

and to sum it up. the caa has more public schools that the socon. so this diversity thing cant be around that. the only thing he could mean is the areas in which the socon schools are. elon wanted northern expansion and other didn't. but that means the socon is less diverse, not elon

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 05:35 AM
App State fans never saw eye to eye with Elon fans. Was a continuous ongoing thing.
A lot of vitriol. Could not believe some of the lowly things Elon did over the years. That's
why we called them Felon so much.
They kind of remind me of Liberty University fans. So much hatred. Unreasonable.
That's why App hasn't played Liberty in many years, that and Jerry Falwell's statements.
Have fun with Elon CAA. Let us know if you regret it.

like clockwork! all the old app fans come to pile on.

irony: elon fans have "A lot of vitriol", really? have you read your post, in this thread that has nothing to do with anything you posted?

rokamortis
May 24th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Iamarino said the day before that he hoped Elon stayed as it made the SoCon better. Then turns around and releases that terse statement after it is announced.

My interpretation is that Elon wanted to keep football a focus and important - the new additions don't necessarily do that and focus on basketball.

Saint3333
May 24th, 2013, 06:16 AM
The SoCon leadership is classless and clueless, anyone that doubted that 6 months ago can't any longer after the comments made with each member that leaves. Even if they are "happy" that Elon is leaving you don't make those types of comments.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2013, 06:17 AM

Interesting take.

From a fan's perspective, I always had a feeling Elon was kind of an outsider. Best I could tell, they really didn't even have a rivalry in the conference. Someone noted on our forum that Elon has now moved conferences four times in the past 17 years.

ElonFirefighter
May 24th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Interesting take.

From a fan's perspective, I always had a feeling Elon was kind of an outsider. Best I could tell, they really didn't even have a rivalry in the conference. Someone noted on our forum that Elon has now moved conferences four times in the past 17 years.

That's an unfair comparison. We also have switched divisions 3 times. Going naia to d2 to big south to socon. The big southeast just a holding point till a spot opened. This is our first move from a conf that is not to better our competition. CAA socon are both great conf, but the socon has been more reactive which helped played into the decision

asumike83
May 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Was Elon a pain in the ass for the SoCon? I don't know but either way, no respectable commissioner puts out a salty press release like that. If I were one of the expansion targets, I'd be paying attention to the way he conducts himself.

I wish no ill will towards the SoCon. For that reason, I truly hope they find a new leader. Iamarino just comes off as reactive and bitter.

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 06:56 AM
switching conference 4 times in 17 years is a little unfair. we also switched 3 division of play in 17 years.

charleston was in 3 conference in 17 years
davidson will have been in 4 conferences and the socon twice in a less than 30 year period
georgia southern was in 3 is just over 21
towson has been in what appears to be 6 in 25 years

movement isn't unusual when you are trying to get to a place that fits the institution

Saint3333
May 24th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Is this true about Elon? It is very possible, they really never had any allies in the SoCon, didn't fit in with the publics and for some reason didn't fit in with the privates either.

But really if I'm an Elon fan I do not care. This is the right move for them. They are joining a conference that will be superior in football and basketball, just as good academically, in a region where there alums are drawn from, has a TV deal (exposure), and better conference leadership. It is a no brainer. Congrats to them for doing what is best for them and their goals.

phoenix3
May 24th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Is this true about Elon? It is very possible, they really never had any allies in the SoCon, didn't fit in with the publics and for some reason didn't fit in with the privates either.

But really if I'm an Elon fan I do not care. This is the right move for them. They are joining a conference that will be superior in football and basketball, just as good academically, in a region where there alums are drawn from, has a TV deal (exposure), and better conference leadership. It is a no brainer. Congrats to them for doing what is best for them and their goals.

I was just getting ready to post the same type of thing! My take on this is "so what", was the statement classless? IMO yes. But I can also see that his seat is getting hotter by the week. I actually kind of feel sorry for the guy. But the fact may be that we really don't fit in the SoCon and we may be a better fit in the CAA. I know most of the admin at Elon and I can tell you that they appreciate everything the SoCon has done for Elon, but they will always make the decision that is best for Elon, both in the short & long term. It's a business decision, not an emotional or vindictive one.

phoenix3
May 24th, 2013, 07:49 AM
On another note, Saint, I have really enjoyed the banter over the past couple of years. I haven't always agreed with you, (although more often than not I do), but I have always respected your opinions. I sincerely wish App and you & the other App fans all the best in the SBC.

henfan
May 24th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Welcome Elon fans to the CAA and CAA FB.

Apphole
May 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM
like clockwork! all the old app fans come to pile on.

irony: elon fans have "A lot of vitriol", really? have you read your post, in this thread that has nothing to do with anything you posted?

It seems like most App fans are on your team here. We identify with the frustration and falts of the SoCon and respect you for moving to better your program just like we have.

As has been said, even if Elon has been a pain in the ass for their entire SoCon tenure, there is not excuse for Big Bird to publically behave like that. It's shocking, honestly. I mean, we knew he was a terrible commish with a smalltime mindset that couldn't find his ass with both hands, but a jaded, classless douche to boot?

Big Bird had more to do with the collapse of the SoCon than anything else.

ElonFirefighter
May 24th, 2013, 08:01 AM
On another note, Saint, I have really enjoyed the banter over the past couple of years. I haven't always agreed with you, (although more often than not I do), but I have always respected your opinions. I sincerely wish App and you & the other App fans all the best in the SBC.

Agreed most app fans have been good with the banter only a few have taken to the next level.

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 08:06 AM
It seems like most App fans are on your team here. We identify with the frustration and falts of the SoCon and respect you for moving to better your program just like we have.

As has been said, even if Elon has been a pain in the ass for their entire SoCon tenure, there is not excuse for Big Bird to publically behave like that. It's shocking, honestly. I mean, we knew he was a terrible commish with a smalltime mindset that couldn't find his ass with both hands, but a jaded, classless douche to boot?

yes sir, that's why i said old app fans :)

all it takes is one to make something up and you instantly have 10 jumping on. you can see here there's 3 already.

The Cats
May 24th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Much to your dismay the SoCon has not collapsed. Will it be different, yes. Will it survive, of course. I'm just so sorry that the remainder of the members didn't just fold up the tent when ASU walked away, as you expected.

Please don't worry about us any more, we'll be fine. Time for you guys to worry about your new conference and not your old one. We'll take care of business here, you guys take care of the Sun Belt, as it's lost more members than the SoCon.

mainejeff
May 24th, 2013, 08:20 AM

Yeah......autumn in New England just sucks.......

superman7515
May 24th, 2013, 08:22 AM
The SoCon has lost 36 members, I don't think there's any conference that has lost that many.

mainejeff
May 24th, 2013, 08:25 AM
The SoCon has lost 36 members, I don't think there's any conference that has lost that many.

America East is up to 13..........14 if you include Albany to the CAA.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM

I also think that the SoCon is the fourth oldest conference in the country. It's no great secret that a conference that has been around as long as this one would have endured more change than those that have much less history.

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Had some time this morning to look this up among other conferences:

Big Sky: 5
Big South: 8
CAA: 8 (not all played football)
Ivy: None
MEAC: 1
Missouri Valley: 22
Northeast: 7
Ohio Valley: 9
Patriot: 2
Pioneer: 2
Southland: 10
SWAC: 6

superman7515
May 24th, 2013, 08:49 AM
As long as we are all clear that the Sun Belt has not actually lost more members than the SoCon.

superman7515
May 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Had some time this morning to look this up among other conferences:

Big Sky: 5
Big South: 8
CAA: 8 (not all played football)
Ivy: None
MEAC: 1
Missouri Valley: 22
Northeast: 7
Ohio Valley: 9
Patriot: 2
Pioneer: 2
Southland: 10
SWAC: 6

The MEAC hasn't lost anyone. Winston Salem State was never a member, they never finalized their transition to D1, and Florida A&M, despite leaving two separate times, has ended up coming back each time. UMES came back, Morgan State came back, North Carolina Central came back... Once you go MEAC...

Saint3333
May 24th, 2013, 08:57 AM

My mother was a three sport athlete at Elon, and wish you guys good luck as well. I also don't hold back my opinion which I know rubs peopel the wrong way, especially if it is a truth they don't want to hear.

For any negatives I've said about Elon in the past, if you look at a line graph of SoCon members athletic growth Elon has a very steep positive slope compared to those that will remain in the SoCon. The only other program that is as high is Wofford.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
As long as we are all clear that the Sun Belt has not actually lost more members than the SoCon.

Not as many, no. Percentage of teams, though, may be different. The Sun Belt currently has only one original member - South Alabama. Only four other current teams have a tenure that dates back even as far as the 90s.

So, while they haven't lost as many members total, they've lost a pretty high percentage of those that were members.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Does the AAC count as Conference USA, or the Big East on this scale? xlolx

CID1990
May 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM
My mother was a three sport athlete at Elon

Football, shot put and weightlifting?

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Yeah......autumn in New England just sucks.......

That's not what I meant, of course. I think you knew that too..

Travel costs/burdens - obviously. Come on.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 10:26 AM

SoCon might also be the only conference still in business that has lost every single one of it's founding members. I'm not super certain on that..but could end up being right.

I know there are of course a few that are clinging to maybe one or two founders left..

superman7515
May 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM

You mean....

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/669555/thumbs/s-MISS-TRUNCHBULL-large.jpg

??

Jiggs
May 24th, 2013, 10:53 AM

I'll turn off the lights and forward the record books to you for safekeeping. This is absurd. There is no collapse.

AppMan
May 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
now before you all pile on, let's just take a look at what this appman has to say.

roughly, he's come out and added no content that continues from an opinion piece in the burlington times news and uses that to backup claims he's making after the article was published. in other words he's making the same convenient assertions after one opinion piece is published with no factual evidence. seeing how vocal his posts have been in a forum search against elon and how he's been vocal on many issues then if he was truly in the know then this kind of stuff would have been posted by him gladly over the past eleven years. but for eleven socon years, this is the first anyone is posted about us not getting along.

i call BS, big time. this is the type of news the media thrives on. its drama. and there's been enough bitter coaches, presidents and atheletics directors that have left that could have outed just the slightest bit of this information for elevent years. but, there's been nothing until the day of bitter socon reckoning. and there's no way that appman would have stayed silent on this for eleven years given hi sources and how much he's posted about elon.

let's take that a step further. everyone knew the caa approached elon before the socon did but elon past because they needed a football home.

let's take it a step further. elon is now in a conference with charleston. if elon had been so hard to work with, charleston wouldnt have been in support of us moving there, nor davidson at the time. elon and furman also have a very good working relationship. and if that was the case, you wouldn't see other socon members (and there are some) also trying to go to a league where elon is going to be. this all doesn't point to an elon problem.

what is a conference like the socon? its a loose affiliation of a bunch of independent bodies. roughly, the conference is created around providing a confederation to further advance the school in many ways. so, is it so hard to believe that app and gsu were so vocal against the new additions of vmi, mercer and etsu? they were in good standing at the time and went to the press in their opposition quoted in the savannah and statesboro papers. davidson mislead the conference, which isn't against the rules, and was against all the new members. but the left without a word from the conference or press against them.

no, it took us because the conference is going in a direction that our school doesn't want to go. and somehow we're singled out and vilified for that. so elon was against all three members. so what? they're voting in the best interest of elon. what did elon want? well, funny that all anyone like appman can say is they were against, they can't tell who the socon was in support of. why? because these types of people don't know.

so why, when elon chooses to move to a conference that supports its alumni footprint better, is that such a bad thing?

and to sum it up. the caa has more public schools that the socon. so this diversity thing cant be around that. the only thing he could mean is the areas in which the socon schools are. elon wanted northern expansion and other didn't. but that means the socon is less diverse, not elon

You imply the Burlington newspaper piece prompted my post. It was used as confirmation, not inspiration. The comments I relayed were made at the baseball tournament YESTERDAY. A similar remark was made concerning Charleston and they never meshed with the other members. I didn't post it because the thread wasn't about CofC. Can't speak to the Elon / Furman relationship since no one from there was involved in the discussion. The impression I got was the league as a whole didn't cozy up to either of them. I didn't say anything negative about Elon making a move. If anything I made a case to reinforce it. Unfortunately that is the way most Elon fans react to things. They get their feeling hurt easily and think they are always under attack. Elon came into this league with a chip on its shoulder and is leaving with one. Perhaps that is an indication why everyone wasn't enamored with your admittance in the first place. Best of luck in the CAA. I honestly believe those northern schools are a far better fit for your school's personality.

Saint3333
May 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM

Cute. Basketball, softball, and volleyball, but yes in her day she could have probably kicked a bellhops a$$.

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 11:58 AM
You imply the Burlington newspaper piece prompted my post. It was used as confirmation, not inspiration. The comments I relayed were made at the baseball tournament YESTERDAY. A similar remark was made concerning Charleston and they never meshed with the other members. I didn't post it because the thread wasn't about CofC. Can't speak to the Elon / Furman relationship since no one from there was involved in the discussion. The impression I got was the league as a whole didn't cozy up to either of them. I didn't say anything negative about Elon making a move. If anything I made a case to reinforce it. Unfortunately that is the way most Elon fans react to things. They get their feeling hurt easily and think they are always under attack. Elon came into this league with a chip on its shoulder and is leaving with one. Perhaps that is an indication why everyone wasn't enamored with your admittance in the first place. Best of luck in the CAA. I honestly believe those northern schools are a far better fit for your school's personality.

no! what i said was that its convenient to post the same day as a similar opinion piece without facts and offer no real information other than hearsay.

come on! don't pretend your post wasn't anything more than a pot shot. otherwise why bother. app's leaving and we're leaving. you could have given the "more information" in your original post that changes the entire tone. but! you didnt. and youre still offering nothing more than hearsay. no facts, nothing substantial, and now we get more information that you didn't talk to everyone? but you past it off as total sentiment.

and its easy to say any opinion in response is hurt feelings. are you a politician, cause that is straight political tactics to stifle opposition remarks before a response can even be formed like that.

walliver
May 24th, 2013, 12:10 PM
The Southwest conference lost all it's members and closed. The WAC has lost 100% of its football members.

Most of the exits from the SoCon have been move-ups (SEC, ACC, ECU). A few have been sideways (W&M, Richmond), and a small number have been downward (Suwanee, VMI).

CofC and Davy were a failed experiment.

Eagle22
May 24th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I was just getting ready to post the same type of thing! My take on this is "so what", was the statement classless? IMO yes. But I can also see that his seat is getting hotter by the week. I actually kind of feel sorry for the guy. But the fact may be that we really don't fit in the SoCon and we may be a better fit in the CAA. I know most of the admin at Elon and I can tell you that they appreciate everything the SoCon has done for Elon, but they will always make the decision that is best for Elon, both in the short & long term. It's a business decision, not an emotional or vindictive one.

IMO, Iamarino's seat likely just cooled off (like plunging into a bucket of ice-water). He's survived, to date, the exodus of five schools in just over a year's time ... and frankly has been able to due to the high level of turnover in Chancellors/Presidents at the member schools. UTC, GSU, Furman, WCU, UNCG, Samford and Citadel all have had leaders leave or come on board since Iamarino was imported from the NEC ... and that is just the ones I know about without looking up the rest of the league. I think Elon's prez actually might have had the longest tenure of the bunch.

So Iamarino, going forward is dealing either with folks who have come on board during his watch, or will be newly joining on his watch. He has attributed the losses of GSU and ASU to the fact that the SoCon cannot offer what we seek (a fair declaration, IMO) .... and the rest are defections that run the gamut of expected (CofC), unexpected (Davidson) and see-you-don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-way-out (Elon).

The resulting mix of teams, as paladinfan has talked about, is a reset to an earlier SoCon. As a Mercer grad, I'll continue to watch the conference dynamic with interest, but I ultimately believe that the end result of these conference moves has resulted in reducing some of the luster the SoCon once enjoyed.

If Iamarino is wise, he'll shelve the efforts to prop up basketball in search of that elusive at-large NCAA berth, and instead plow every single penny of the exit payments into putting SoCon football on real TV airwaves.

Saint3333
May 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM
fc's skin is a little thin.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
The Southwest conference lost all it's members and closed. The WAC has lost 100% of its football members.

Most of the exits from the SoCon have been move-ups (SEC, ACC, ECU). A few have been sideways (W&M, Richmond), and a small number have been downward (Suwanee, VMI).

CofC and Davy were a failed experiment.

Ah yes...the WAC. Good one. That would be probably the only other conference to have undergone such a transformation as the SoCon.

They went from Arizona and Utah to Grand Canyon and Utah Valley....

fc97
May 24th, 2013, 12:53 PM
fc's skin is a little thin.

nope :)

i just have as much patience for mplsbison as i do for appman. when all is at the end, they are very similar in how they do things.

AppMan
May 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
no! what i said was that its convenient to post the same day as a similar opinion piece without facts and offer no real information other than hearsay.

come on! don't pretend your post wasn't anything more than a pot shot. otherwise why bother. app's leaving and we're leaving. you could have given the "more information" in your original post that changes the entire tone. but! you didnt. and youre still offering nothing more than hearsay. no facts, nothing substantial, and now we get more information that you didn't talk to everyone? but you past it off as total sentiment.

and its easy to say any opinion in response is hurt feelings. are you a politician, cause that is straight political tactics to stifle opposition remarks before a response can even be formed like that.

Whatever you say buddy. Think what you will but what I posted is not hearsay and it isn't piling on. You're nuts if you think I'd give specific info or names just to satisfy you. As I said enjoy your new life in the CAA.

dgtw
May 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
All of the WAC's founders are long gone, though two charter members are still in the MWC, which was what the WAC became when they decided they didn't like everyone they brought in to get to a 16 team league. The SEC has lost three charter members since they split from the So Con.

Apphole
May 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Note: 3 out of 4 of the remaining teams in the SoCon baseball tourny (App, GaSo and Elon) will not be in the conference in 2014.

Carry on.

whoanellie
May 24th, 2013, 10:18 PM
obviously the multimillion dollar All Faith Center that was dedicated a few weeks ago with 17 religions represented
sure looks like Jesus is working on this campus. Elon's Motto: "Numen Lumen" you got the money honey...I got the time. can ya dig it?

MplsBison
May 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Surely you didn't think I was serious?

Brad82
May 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Elon will be a bottom half team in the CAA.

The Cats
May 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Elon will be a bottom half team in the CAA.

Who cares, other than maybe a couple of Elon fans.

In a year after they depart, no one will even remember they were in the SoCon.

Apphole
May 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Who cares, other than maybe a couple of Elon fans.

In a year after they depart, no one will even remember they were in the SoCon.

What's the "SoCon?"

Tribal
May 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Elon > Ga State
SBU football & CoC > ODU

Welcome, Elon...

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Elon > Ga State
SBU football & CoC > ODU

Welcome, Elon...

Amen!

MplsBison
May 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I guess it doesn't entirely surprise me that W&M fans are so fiercely defending the CAA and CAA FC. After all, they were founding members of the ECAC South bball league in 1979 and joined the Yankee conference in 1993. Haven't left since.

Sitting Bull
May 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I guess it doesn't entirely surprise me that W&M fans are so fiercely defending the CAA and CAA FC. After all, they were founding members of the ECAC South bball league in 1979 and joined the Yankee conference in 1993. Haven't left since.

It shouldn't. I don't know too many that openly root for their own conference to implode. As a founder, you work to keep it strong. Is Montana openly hoping the Big Sky dissolve? Or Furman and the So Con?

Are you happy where NDSU has landed or are you secretly hoping that conference dissolves as well?

wmmii
May 26th, 2013, 01:44 PM
The southern division of the CAA will welcome you Elon!

MplsBison
May 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM
It shouldn't. I don't know too many that openly root for their own conference to implode. As a founder, you work to keep it strong. Is Montana openly hoping the Big Sky dissolve? Or Furman and the So Con?

Are you happy where NDSU has landed or are you secretly hoping that conference dissolves as well?

NDSU's conference did implode.

They were founding members of the North Central conference, one of the most dominate in DII.

NDSU owes nothing to the Summit or the MVFC and I for one would love to see them become all sports members of the MAC. Wishful thinking, I'm afraid...

Seawolf97
May 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM
The last time we played Elon was during a tropical storm here on Long Island. Any Elon fans or players will remember that one call it the "Deluge Bowl" if you will. I think we had 5 inches of rain during the game. But glad to see them in the CAA - they will do well !

phoenix3
May 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
There were 5" of water on the field. Footballs were floating on the sidelines. Everyone on the plane expected to die. AWESOME trip!!!

Seawolf97
May 26th, 2013, 08:29 PM
There were 5" of water on the field. Footballs were floating on the sidelines. Everyone on the plane expected to die. AWESOME trip!!! Hopefully the next time you come to Long Island it will be dry sunny. We sat through that entire game. Completely drenched when I got home !

MplsBison
May 27th, 2013, 12:00 PM
There were 5" of water on the field. Footballs were floating on the sidelines. Everyone on the plane expected to die. AWESOME trip!!!

Someone could probably write a very entertaining book about the little things we never get to hear about that go on during away trips for various football teams.

I think I'll pitch that, write it, get it published and make a bunch of money.

AppMan
May 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
The southern division of the CAA will welcome you Elon!

Pardon me if I wait for your perspective after you've played them a few times.

fc97
May 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM

nothing drags appman out of the woodwork like the chance to type any anti-elon propaganda.

Sitting Bull
May 27th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Well, we will miss playing Georgia State.