PDA

View Full Version : Samford and UTC Are On The Clock....

The Eagle's Cliff
May 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Time to get off the sinking South Carolina Conference ship boys. Go to the OVC and leave the Whine and Cheese crowd to their Southern Ivy dreams. Would say I'm going to enjoy our "farewell" tour in 2013, but "stick it" tour is more accurate.

AshevilleApp2
May 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
You're a class act EC.

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Time to get off the sinking South Carolina Conference ship boys. Go to the OVC and leave the Whine and Cheese crowd to their Southern Ivy dreams. Would say I'm going to enjoy our "farewell" tour in 2013, but "stick it" tour is more accurate.

Samford is part of the Wine and Cheese crowd (they just pretend that it's grape juice if other Baptists are present.)

UTC is a charter member of the Whine and Whine club. You will be eating crow when the Mocs win a moral victory over GSU this year.

dungeonjoe
May 23rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for demonstrating that arrogance is not a unique trait of the Carolinas.

AshevilleApp2
May 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for demonstrating that arrogance is not a unique trait of the Carolinas.

Always good to see you back dj!

asumike83
May 23rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Doubt Samford goes anywhere, although I wouldn't be totally shocked if the OVC took a look at a possible UTC/ETSU package deal.

SpiritCymbal
May 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Doubt Samford goes anywhere, although I wouldn't be totally shocked if the OVC took a look at a possible UTC/ETSU package deal.

To me, UTC/ETSU would be a great partnership for the OVC. One of those things in college sports that makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
To me, UTC/ETSU would be a great partnership for the OVC. One of those things in college sports that makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

Would they take WCU with them? The Catamounts would otherwise be in no-man's land.

rokamortis
May 23rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Would they take WCU with them? The Catamounts would otherwise be in no-man's land.

I think UTC, ETSU, and WCU should go to the Big South. Seriously.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
hey look!

Another bash the SoCon thread started by a departing fan.

(Who like others will of course blame the pushback on jealousy)

SpiritCymbal
May 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM

I think when it comes to WCU the question is, what would WCU bring to the OVC? I would venture to guess that if UTC were to leave then WCU would definitely jump at the chance to go as well. The question would be if the OVC would want them....

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
His first sentence is valid enough. (I understand the resentment some of you have after reading the last)

I'd be shocked if any SoCon school hadn't at least briefly entertained the idea of moving to another conference after the departure of the last 5. The OVC would be a good route for UTC, ETSU and WCU, IMO.

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
hey look!

What else would you expect from GSU fans?

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
I think when it comes to WCU the question is, what would WCU bring to the OVC? I would venture to guess that if UTC were to leave then WCU would definitely jump at the chance to go as well. The question would be if the OVC would want them....

I think the OVC would be all over it if ANY SoCon school was considering moving to their league. Even Western and even with the current lackluster state of the SoCon. It takes a while for perceptions to ware off and the SoCon will still be perceived as a top FCS conference even though it's lost most of it's football strength. It's just like CUSA. CUSA is a shadow of it's former self, has fallen to the bottom of the FBS hierarchy in football strength, and somehow most SBC schools would jump to that league if given the opportunity. Sure their TV contract $ is a major motivator, but you get my point.

Jiggs
May 23rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
My personal opinion, based on nothing more than that: Samford is not looking to go anywhere. I like the proposed additions of Mercer, ETSU and VMI. I would like the SoCon to take a look at UNA - a school looking to move up with a strong athletic heritage. The SoCon will survive and flourish.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
May 23rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
As it stands now, the SoCon has seven members. Except for UNCG, all play football. ETSU, VMI and Mercer will bring them to 10 (nine FB). The SoCon would do well to add two more members (or three more if these three have football) if they want a 12-team league.

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
What benefit to any of those schools?

I realize everyone perceives that the sky is falling, but the SoCon is pretty much looking the same as it did for much of its history.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 01:09 PM
I realize everyone perceives that the sky is falling, but the SoCon is pretty much looking the same as it did for much of its history.

http://www.ostrichheadinsand.com/images/ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

The Eagle's Cliff
May 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
hey look!

The "departing fan" is an accurate description of me, but I've loathed the SoCon for years. I think Davidson and College of Charleston departing in the basketball context is even funnier than GSU and App in the football context. Losing the top two schools in each of the top two sports in the same year wouldn't happen if the SoCon were a forward thinking organization.

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM

I bet you've been waiting a long time to use that pic. xlolx

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
I bet you've been waiting a long time to use that pic. xlolx

No, just kind of fell in my lap. I googled "ostrich head in the sand."

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM

The comments and threads about the SoCon dying, the SoCon sucks, the SoCon isn't forward looking (whetever THAT means.... ) seem to be overwhelmingly populated by ASU and GSU fans, and one or two others.

As has been said a thousand times before, the remaining schools have different priorities than yours. That's fine that you want to move up, but pissing on the SoCon is juvenile, and please stop pretending like it is out of some kind of altrusim. If Marshall fans knew how to use computers, I am pretty sure they would have behaved the same as you. And speaking of Marshall, we are going to miss you guys about as much, especially now that so many true colors are being displayed now. Good luck with the LA Lafayettes and the FAUs of the world.

Maybe you'd have a more sympathetic audience on the Sun Belt BBS, but then again you might earn another sticky thread.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
The comments and threads about the SoCon dying, the SoCon sucks, the SoCon isn't forward looking (whetever THAT means.... ) seem to be overwhelmingly populated by ASU and GSU fans, and one or two others.

As has been said a thousand times before, the remaining schools have different priorities than yours. That's fine that you want to move up, but pissing on the SoCon is juvenile, and please stop pretending like it is out of some kind of altrusim. If Marshall fans knew how to use computers, I am pretty sure they would have behaved the same as you. And speaking of Marshall, we are going to miss you guys about as much, especially now that so many true colors are being displayed now. Good luck with the LA Lafayettes and the FAUs of the world.

Maybe you'd have a more sympathetic audience on the Sun Belt BBS, but then again you might earn another sticky thread.

I'm just surprised you can see us down here from all the way up on your pedestal/moral high ground. Forgive my insolence. I forgot how supportive and respectful you have been about the Sun Belt Conference and App/GaSo's recent conference decisions.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
I'm just surprised you can see us down here from all the way up on your pedestal/moral high ground. Forgive my insolence. I forgot how supportive and respectful you have been about the Sun Belt Conference and App/GaSo's recent conference decisions.

I'm actually a fan of ASU. Always have been. I just think that you and a couple others are personally a$$holes, that's all.

In fact I am fairly sure I was pulling for ASU long before you even left the orphanage.

Besides, coming from someone who spills useless ink at the level you do, I'll take your pedestal/moral comments as read.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I'm actually a fan of ASU. Always have been. I just think that you and a couple others are personally a$$holes, that's all.

In fact I am fairly sure I was pulling for ASU long before you even left the orphanage.

Besides, coming from someone who spills useless ink at the level you do, I'll take your pedestal/moral comments as read.

I'm not too concerned with what an anonymous, overly sensitive lady-boy feels about me personally, but you have to understand that it works both ways. We are at a philosophical impasse with regard to which subdivision is best. Both sides have been hateful to one another. The only difference is the pathetic martyrdom and moral high ground you and a few others tend to take.

Grow a pair, dude.

hapapp
May 23rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
No doubt the SoCon is in a period of transition and has lost some heavy hitters. But, I do believe the conference will find its way and the purported additions will bring their own strengths to the conference. I was at ASU when we joined the SoCon, so I will always be a supporter and look forward to its new direction. I've never understood some App fans disdain for the conference that gave us our DI opportunity. I've certainly enjoyed it. I suppose some of it has to do with the fact that I was around when we started this journey and didn't start at a point where we were already successful. No one knows what the future in the SBC holds for us. Thus, we App fans should approach it cautiously and recognize it for the challenge it is. Our move to the FBS doesn't transform us into some superior entity. Some of us need to get over ourselves.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
We are at a philosophical impasse with regard to which subdivision is best.

No, we aren't. You are in your own mind, apparently.

Have some rep to whine about.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
No, we aren't. You are in your own mind, apparently.

Have some rep to whine about.

No. I've wanted FBS for almost as long as I've followed App State.

You lost me with that last bit...

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
No doubt the SoCon is in a period of transition and has lost some heavy hitters. But, I do believe the conference will find its way and the purported additions will bring their own strengths to the conference. I was at ASU when we joined the SoCon, so I will always be a supporter and look forward to its new direction. I've never understood some App fans disdain for the conference that gave us our DI opportunity. I've certainly enjoyed it. I suppose some of it has to do with the fact that I was around when we started this journey and didn't start at a point where we were already successful. No one knows what the future in the SBC holds for us. Thus, we App fans should approach it cautiously and recognize it for the challenge it is. Our move to the FBS doesn't transform us into some superior entity. Some of us need to get over ourselves.

I get the impression many of those who were fans of the program pre-2005 understand the close tie App State had with the SoCon. There has been, with some of the "newer" fans, a disdain for a group of schools that have proven every bit App State's equal for years, if not decades. Not completely sure why that is, though.

I get it. The SoCon has some smaller schools. I've never understood why that matters. Your 11 guys line up and play my 11 guys, and we see who the better team is. Everyone makes a big deal about the teams the SoCon is losing. My response to that is perfect indifference. I like seeing Furman play App and Georgia Southern. At the end of the day, though, I like watching Furman play. I don't care if its against your team, or someone else's team. I don't show up to Greenville every fall to watch the other team play.

I will again refer to the quote on my signature line, which has been there for who knows how long. The SoCon has been underappreciated for decades. It will be underappreciated for decades more. This is nothing new, its just a new crowd of folks.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
No. I've wanted FBS for almost as long as I've followed App State.

You lost me with that last bit...

Since what? 2005?

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Lack of being "forward looking" is not really an issue. Being "forward looking" allowed Davidson to return, CofC to enter, and also UNC-G. The SoCon never received an at-large bid in basketball. Sometimes the best thing to do is to concentrate on what you do best. The SoCon will be best served by all sports members with similar interests. There is no need to bring in basketball schools, since they will most likely "move up" at the first opportunity.

UTC may eventually leave, but for now, they have the opportunity to replace ASU and GSU as the "large public".
WCU has some work to do, but has a similar opportunity.
These are the two main flight risks, but if they can develop rivalries with ETSU and others may eventually be quite happy in the new SoCon (Socon 10.0)
Samford has more in common with FU, WC, Cit (and possibly Mercer) than anyone in the OVC (they also left the OVC to join the SoCon) and are at low risk for leaving.
FU is frequently brought up as a CAA candidate, but financially makes little sense. FU also has a great deal of influence in the conference. The last three schools to join (WC, Elon, Samford) ended up playing FU for several years before joining. It is hard to picture them giving that up to play UNH, URI, Maine, and Albany.

The real loss of GSA, ASU, and to a lesser extent Davidson, is not strength of schedule, but a loss of rivalries.
FU's big rivals have been The Citadel, ASU, and GSU
El Cid traditionally play GSU quite tough.
ASU-Wofford has frequently had championship significance. Wofford and GSU alternated wins (visitors winning) for several years.
WCU loses their big rival.
The loss of rivalries is not really a money thing (decreased gate), but the loss of the glue that holds conferences together.
Elon never really developed any rivalries, which made it easier for them to leave, and easier for the rest of us not to miss them.
Hopefully ETSU will (re-)develop rivalries with UTC and WCU, Mercer with Samford and the SC schools. The other school will just be Citdog's b*tch.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
Since what? 2005?

Since I was a freshman in undergrad. Not a bad guess.

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM

I get the impression many of those who were fans of the program pre-2005 understand the close tie App State had with the SoCon. There has been, with some of the "newer" fans, a disdain for a group of schools that have proven every bit App State's equal for years, if not decades. Not completely sure why that is, though.

I get it. The SoCon has some smaller schools. I've never understood why that matters. Your 11 guys line up and play my 11 guys, and we see who the better team is. Everyone makes a big deal about the teams the SoCon is losing. My response to that is perfect indifference. I like seeing Furman play App and Georgia Southern. At the end of the day, though, I like watching Furman play. I don't care if its against your team, or someone else's team. I don't show up to Greenville every fall to watch the other team play.

I will again refer to the quote on my signature line, which has been there for who knows how long. The SoCon has been underappreciated for decades. It will be underappreciated for decades more. This is nothing new, its just a new crowd of folks.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
That el' show em'! xlolx

What a girl.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17733&d=1369339012

ETSUfan1
May 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
To me one of the most exciting parts about rejoining the SoCon, is once again having the chance to have rivalries. We had none in the Atlantic Sun. ETSU and UTC was a fun rivalry back in the day. I'm ready to hate the teams we play again instead of just thinking..."just another game." Hopefully we can get a rivalry really going with WCU and make gamedays extra fun again.

ASUMountaineer
May 23rd, 2013, 03:00 PM

I think that could be a good part of it. I've been following App since I got accepted in 1998, and I don't have the disdain for the SoCon that others do. I'm not sure that having a longer duration of fandom could contribute to that, but maybe. I do think that some of the folks running the SoCon will be glad to see App and GSU leave because they differ on what the envision for the conference. That's ok, and I don't see why that should be a point of contention between fans. The only time I really talk negatively about the SoCon is bust CID's balls. xlolx

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I think that could be a good part of it. I've been following App since I got accepted in 1998, and I don't have the disdain for the SoCon that others do. I'm not sure that having a longer duration of fandom could contribute to that, but maybe. I do think that some of the folks running the SoCon will be glad to see App and GSU leave because they differ on what the envision for the conference. That's ok, and I don't see why that should be a point of contention between fans. The only time I really talk negatively about the SoCon is bust CID's balls. xlolx

Yeah but the difference is I know you don't mean it, sweetheart.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 03:06 PM

I knew it. Balls havent even dropped yet.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
I knew it. Balls havent even dropped yet.

Haven't dropped below my knees yet, you mean. I am a viril young adult. The world is my oyster.

A different perspective, perhaps, but it certainly doesn't devalue my opinion. There are plenty of the old guard that were just as frustrated with the small-time direction of the Southern Conference as I was.

ASUMountaineer
May 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah but the difference is I know you don't mean it, sweetheart.

xlovex

dungeonjoe
May 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
I guess the scale of movement of teams from one conference to another is significant. More so is the health of the subdivision as a whole. I see budgets getting bigger and more out of balance as travel expenses and kids out of class are sacrificed for "exposure." For smaller schools the quality of the play on the field could be pinched by the off field costs.

I will not be an old crotchety dude worshipping the past, but I think we are at risk of losing what is best about collegiate sports as we follow the dollar.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 23rd, 2013, 04:01 PM

So you're like 25?!

That explains a lot of your posts I've read. Now that your brain is nearly finished developing cognitive function, you might start thinking more like a grownup - unless you live in a bubble like ND4E.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
So you're like 25?!

That explains a lot of your posts I've read. Now that your brain is nearly finished developing cognitive function, you might start thinking more like a grownup - unless you live in a bubble like ND4E.

Believe it or not, there might be other non-AARP members on AGS.

dgtw
May 23rd, 2013, 08:02 PM
I don't think the OVC would take back Samford. With 12 members (nine for football), there is really no room at the inn.

I know we're a flight risk, but I wish the SoCon would take Jax State (and UNA for that matter). Two publics with a history who'd give Sammy and UTC local playmates.

Cocky
May 23rd, 2013, 08:47 PM
I hope JSU stays in the OVC or moves to FBS.

catamount man
May 23rd, 2013, 08:50 PM
To me one of the most exciting parts about rejoining the SoCon, is once again having the chance to have rivalries. We had none in the Atlantic Sun. ETSU and UTC was a fun rivalry back in the day. I'm ready to hate the teams we play again instead of just thinking..."just another game." Hopefully we can get a rivalry really going with WCU and make gamedays extra fun again.

Yes indeed! WCU and ETSU have played a few exciting games over the years and the game was on ESPN back in 1988 on a Thursday night. Crowd was pumped that night in Cullowhee!

Eaglesrus
May 23rd, 2013, 09:26 PM

Have to admit that you're right on this one, I'm not a member of AARP.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 24th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Have to admit that you're right on this one, I'm not a member of AARP.

LOL! I'm not eligible yet, but wouldn't join that group anyway.

AshevilleApp2
May 24th, 2013, 06:59 AM

What he said. xbowx

Eaglesrus
May 24th, 2013, 08:01 AM
LOL! I'm not eligible yet, but wouldn't join that group anyway.

I am eligible, even the "Retired" part (since 2/14/13), but I'm still not comfortable with claiming that status. I am therefore thinking of it as being on hiatus that will probably end up being permanent. In any case, I've never had any interest in being a member of AARP.