Northern Colorado
Cal Poly
UC Davis
Weber State
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State
Portland State
Southern Utah

Lots of teams fighting their way to the top....who will it be?

My pick is going to be a homer pick....North Dakota. With 4 home conference games against 2 of the big boys (MSU, EWU), along with road games against winnable games (ISU, UC Davis, PSU) I think UND could come out on top. They have 7 home games this season and early success will pack the Alerus Center, and the fact that no Cal Poly, no Montana (except in OOC), and no Southern Utah could have UND seeing the title. The question marks on this year's team are two fold. First: Defense. Played like a high school team last season which without a high powered offense would have made last years team look like a joke. But now new DC, another year of experience for the players could equal better success stopping opponents. Second: Quarterback. Last year Braden Hanson, and Marcus Hendrickson did a job the BSC didn't expect...an air attack. But graduation means stepping in to those shoes this year will be Joe Mollberg or Ryan Bartels both Redshirt freshmen. UND welcomes back a WR crew that is one of the best in the FCS with Greg Harden, Jameer Jackson, Kenny Goladay, and newcomer J.J. Robertson (U of Illinois transfer), the question will be can the new QB's get the ball to them with power and accuracy as Hendrickson, and Hanson did. Running game needs to get on track as well so UND's offense could be a powerhouse in the Big Sky...its all up to the defense.

First 3 games will be vs Valpo, vs South Dakota State, and vs Montana before conference play starts. IMO if UND goes 3-0...we will win the Big Sky.

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Can Sam do it 3 years in a row?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 23rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
I'll go with Cal Poly.

eagle1
May 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
EWU and they will start with Sam Houston on September 28th.

TheRevSFA
May 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
EWU probably.

IBleedYellow
May 23rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Montana Griz

SUPharmacist
May 23rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
Cal Poly

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
My vote for conference play is Cal Poly. They were the toughest Big Sky team we faced and I think they are bringing a lot of folks back.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Montana Griz

Can they overcome last years flop? I wouldn't be surprised to see them contend. They can never be ruled out.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM

How much of EWU's offense returns? They crushed what was left of our defense.

Herder
May 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Karma says, Not the Bobcats, although I'd say they are the team to beat with the most pieces.

NDB
May 23rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
Sam Houston State.

Book it.

Herder
May 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Sam Houston State.

Book it.

After the initial belly laugh at the Sam poster, the joke is losing its luster.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 23rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cal Poly returns a bunch of starters from a very solid squad. I believe their schedule also sets up favorably. The Mustangs have established a bit of pedigree which gives me confidence in them.

Montana State should be right in the mix too. They need to figure out their DL and dial up a few more big plays on offense.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Cal Poly is going to be tough.

344Johnson
May 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Eastern Washington

. First: Defense. Played like a high school team last season which without a high powered offense would have made last years team look like a joke.

Lol. UND was a joke last season.

Can Sam do it 3 years in a row?

Yes.

I'll go with EWU.

Twentysix
May 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Poly. But MSU must also make the playoffs, so we can **** all over them in the dome.

NDB
May 23rd, 2013, 01:50 PM
After the initial belly laugh at the Sam poster, the joke is losing its luster.

Tough sh#t.

The 1 pm show is the same as the 11 am show.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Poly. But MSU must also make the playoffs, so we can **** all over them in the dome.

Hopefully both UND and Montana St visit Fargo this season for the playoffs.

That'll surely make up for the "horrible" DII game that is as of yet to be scheduled.

Bisonator
May 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
I don't know nor care who will win the BSC. I just hope the pussy cats will be good enough to get xasswhipx by us come playoff time. Please playoff selection committee see fit to do what's right and just to make this happen!!! xprayx

CrazyCat
May 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_waN3sAGw4

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM

Better bring some oxygen for the Texas summer heat and a defense.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
I don't know nor care who will win the BSC. I just hope the pussy cats will be good enough to get xasswhipx by us come playoff time. Please playoff selection committee see fit to do what's right and just to make this happen!!! xprayx

So is MSU more hated by Bison fans than UND? Almost seems like it since they backed out.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Given the choice, I'd rather see UND in the Fargodome for the playoffs this fall.

MarkyMark
May 23rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
So is MSU more hated by Bison fans than UND? Almost seems like it since they backed out.

That question is worthy of its own thread.

For me its MSU and not even close. Backing out on NDSU in Feb. and basically taking 200K out of our pocket and putting it in their own and leaving NDSU in a bad scheduling jam easily makes them more worthy of hate in my opinion.

The UND thing is ancient history to me but probably more hated by most NDSU fans.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2013, 04:43 PM
That question is worthy of its own thread.

For me its MSU and not even close. Backing out on NDSU in Feb. and basically taking 200K out of our pocket and putting it in their own and leaving NDSU in a bad scheduling jam easily makes them more worthy of hate in my opinion.

The UND thing is ancient history to me but probably more hated by most NDSU fans.

I'm not turning this into a UND-NDSU thing it's that I've seen posts on here and Bisonville and the hatred towards MSU is astounding. I know SU will hate UND everyone knows it but this new hate makes me want to see MSU play NDSU in the playoffs.

IBleedYellow
May 23rd, 2013, 04:51 PM
I need to fix what I had stated:

My heart wants the Griz to win it, mainly because I believe they are the rightful team to be on top of the Big Sky. If you think Big Sky, you think EWU, Montana or the Bobcats.

Who will probably win it? Cal Poly. I thought that they were the team that fought the Bearkats the hardest last year. EWU got STOMPED ON in the first half of their game, and we all know that SHSU didn't know how to score or stop their opponents from scoring in the second half last year. And the Bobcats were just lol against SHSU.

Mustangs win, but Go Griz!

Nickels
May 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Cal Poly is going to bore its competitors to death with 3 yard dives and win the BSC...

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
If I was a coach I would never agree to schedule Poly non-conference. You have to prepare your offense and defense for schemes that no one else runs. Waste of a week.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 23rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
I'm not turning this into a UND-NDSU thing it's that I've seen posts on here and Bisonville and the hatred towards MSU is astounding. I know SU will hate UND everyone knows it but this new hate makes me want to see MSU play NDSU in the playoffs.

When the schedule gets filled (and it will), I will cease to care about MSU. They are a non-factor when it counts. Always will be.

As for your OP.....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8nptwMDT31rd6hk2o1_500.jpg

Silenoz
May 23rd, 2013, 05:49 PM
I like our odds. As long as we do basic things like not kicking off both halves

MarkyMark
May 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
When the schedule gets filled (and it will), I will cease to care about MSU. They are a non-factor when it counts. Always will be.

As for your OP.....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8nptwMDT31rd6hk2o1_500.jpg

MSU does fold when it counts. I am looking forward to another playoff game with MSU in our dome this year. Remember this game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XleUptOG4z8

laxVik
May 23rd, 2013, 09:44 PM
The mighty Viks will finish bottom of the pack again with an average attendance of 7K. I miss D2.

Lumberjackfanbefore2012
May 24th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Don't count out the NAU Lumberjacks. They overachieved last year, but the offense is looking good going in to training camp. We'll see what happens.

frozennorth
May 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM
My pick is going to be a homer pick....North Dakota.

I wish I could get this high.

UND starts 2-4, finishes 6-5, and mussman keeps his job.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Given the choice, I'd rather see UND in the Fargodome for the playoffs this fall.

Of course you would.....you could come see your fav team....UND.

MplsBison
May 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Of course you would.....you could come see your fav team....UND.

My favorite team is NDSU, my alma mater. Hence my user name.

uofmman1122
May 25th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I like our odds. As long as we do basic things like not kicking off both halvesThis.

We have the talent to win it, but we'll have to see if Booger can keep it together.

MplsBison
May 25th, 2013, 02:25 PM
....did that actually happen in a Montana game??

Or are you trying to say sarcastically that Montana can't lose?

uofmman1122
May 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM
....did that actually happen in a Montana game??

Or are you trying to say sarcastically that Montana can't lose?
@ Northern Colorado last year, we won the toss and picked which side we wanted to defend, "To get an advantage with the wind" as our coach said.

That gave UNC the choice to kick or receive. They also got to pick after halftime, so their choice was basically deferred, so they picked receive again.

So yes, we kicked off to start both halves.

MplsBison
May 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Wait....what?? Are you making this up?

This is my understanding of football: the team that wins the opening coin toss can either choose to kick, receive or defer the choice to the second half.

Therefore, to my understanding, the only way a team could kick off both halfs would be if they deferred the decision until the 2nd half, the coin loss losing team choose to receive the first half and then the coin toss winning team choose to kick off for the 2nd half.

Where did I go wrong?

uofmman1122
May 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Wait....what?? Are you making this up?

This is my understanding of football: the team that wins the opening coin toss can either choose to kick, receive or defer the choice to the second half.

Therefore, to my understanding, the only way a team could kick off both halfs would be if they deferred the decision until the 2nd half, the coin loss losing team choose to receive the first half and then the coin toss winning team choose to kick off for the 2nd half.

Where did I go wrong?
You basically have three options.

Three minutes before the start of the game, the referee meets with captains from both teams for a coin toss. The visiting team calls the toss. The winner of the toss may defer their choice to the start of the second half, or they may take first choice of:

Receiving the kickoff to start the game, or kicking off to start the game
Choosing an end of the field to defend in the first quarter (with the teams switching directions at the end of the first quarter and at the end of the third quarter)
The loser of the toss gets the remaining option.

At the start of the second half, the team that did not choose first (either because they deferred their choice or because they lost the toss) gets the first choice of options.

You can

1. Choose to receive or kick
2. Choose which side you want to defend (Which no one ever picks, which is why you never hear about it)
or 3. Defer your choice to the second half.

If you choose which side to defend, because of the rules, the other team gets the remaining choice: kick or receive. Then, because they picked second, they get to pick one of two choices first at the start of the second half: kick or receive.

UNC picked receive both times against us because of this.

slostang
May 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Cal Poly is going to bore its competitors to death with 3 yard dives and win the BSC...

And a defense that returns 10 starters and all but two defensive players on their two deep. A defense that held SHSU's offense to a season low 16 points and 241 yards. SHSU offense put up 28 points and 382 yards against Texas A&M. They put up 23 points and 411 yards against Baylor. I am just saying....

MplsBison
May 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
You basically have three options.

You can

1. Choose to receive or kick
2. Choose which side you want to defend (Which no one ever picks, which is why you never hear about it)
or 3. Defer your choice to the second half.

If you choose which side to defend, because of the rules, the other team gets the remaining choice: kick or receive. Then, because they picked second, they get to pick one of two choices first at the start of the second half: kick or receive.

UNC picked receive both times against us because of this.

Ah. You can tell I was never a captain in football! Ha!

So now if I understand correctly, this is how it usually works in the coin toss:

Coin toss winners: we choose to defer.
Coin toss losers: we choose to receive/kick off.
Coin toss winners: we'll defend the east side/west side.

In other words, whoever has the choice at the start of the half *always* chooses to select kick/receive instead of choosing to select which side of the field to defend.

Right?

I don't understand why that option is even available...I guess in the case of absolutely horrible weather and for some reason you prefer to have the bad weather in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th quarters??

slostang
May 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Ah. You can tell I was never a captain in football! Ha!

So now if I understand correctly, this is how it usually works in the coin toss:

Coin toss winners: we choose to defer.
Coin toss losers: we choose to receive/kick off.
Coin toss winners: we'll defend the east side/west side.

In other words, whoever has the choice at the start of the half *always* chooses to select kick/receive instead of choosing to select which side of the field to defend.

Right?

I don't understand why that option is even available...I guess in the case of absolutely horrible weather and for some reason you prefer to have the bad weather in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th quarters??

Bad weather and wind.

BisonFan02
May 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM
And a defense that returns 10 starters and all but two defensive players on their two deep. A defense that held SHSU's offense to a season low 16 points and 241 yards. SHSU offense put up 28 points and 382 yards against Texas A&M. They put up 23 points and 411 yards against Baylor. I am just saying....

Correction, season low for SHSU was 13 against NDSU in the natty.

uofmman1122
May 26th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Bad weather and wind.
And the weather that day wasn't nearly bad enough to warrant it.

Plus, UNC took the opening second half kick back for a TD.

slostang
May 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Correction, season low for SHSU was 13 against NDSU in the natty.

My bad. You are correct. Cal Poly did hold them to 150 less yards than NDSU though. SHSU had 391 yards of total offense against the Bison. My point is that the defense that held a very good SHSU offense to only 241 yards on the road returns 20 of their 22 players on their two deep on that side of the ball.

BisonFan02
May 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
My bad. You are correct. Cal Poly did hold them to 150 less yards than NDSU though. SHSU had 391 yards of total offense against the Bison. My point is that the defense that held a very good SHSU offense to only 241 yards on the road returns 20 of their 22 players on their two deep on that side of the ball.

No doubt, check post #15 of this thread. I also made fun of a few pre-season polls too. NDSU is in a similar position and only loses 7 total seniors (3 starters, with 1 on D).

slostang
May 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM
No doubt, check post #15 of this thread. I also made fun of a few pre-season polls too. NDSU is in a similar position and only loses 7 total seniors (3 starters, with 1 on D).
The way the Bison have played the last few years I would say they are going to be tough even if they were losing a ton of starters. The fact he only lose only 7 seniors is scary.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM

Umm....SHSU vs A & M was 47-0 when Sammy started to get their yards against the 3rd string.....just sayin.

slostang
May 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Umm....SHSU vs A & M was 47-0 when Sammy started to get their yards against the 3rd string.....just sayin.

You have a point, but once again my point was that Cal Poly's defense that held a very good SHSU offense to only 241 yards on the road returns 20 of their 22 players on their two deep on that side of the ball.....just saying.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM
You have a point, but once again my point was that Cal Poly's defense that held a very good SHSU offense to only 241 yards on the road returns 20 of their 22 players on their two deep on that side of the ball.....just saying.

No disagreement from me. I watched Cal Poly vs Sammy last year and they are good. Plus watching Poly 1st hand in the Fargodome when they played, I saw their unusual defense that they ran.....sort of a 3-5 alignment. I don't know if Poly still runs that but it was effective. Plus their offense is a TO hybrid. It works cus they gave the Badgers all they could handle a few yrs ago.

Poly will be a favorite for the BSC title.

slostang
May 26th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Poly no longer run the 3-4 flex defense. They run now run the 4-3.

MplsBison
May 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Poly no longer run the 3-4 flex defense. They run now run the 4-3.

Most excellent.

Do they run a normal offense now too?

MplsBison
May 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Bad weather and wind.

But that was my point. How do you "plan" that you're going to be up at certain times in the game such that it would be advantageous to have the weather going a certain way for you in 1/3 vs 2/4?

Nevermind the fact that you don't control the weather and it's liable to change on you for trying to plan for it out of karma's sake.

Just seems like a worthless option. Nonetheless....carry on.

UNDColorado
May 29th, 2013, 08:57 PM

I am glad UND does not play Poly this year. I think that you guys will have the best defense in the league. Probably contend for the league title.

putter
May 29th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Can they overcome last years flop? I wouldn't be surprised to see them contend. They can never be ruled out.

The biggest difference is the Montana get Jordan Johnson back. Having him should keep our D from living on the field like they did last year. A year older and more experienced D with a better executing offense will allow Montana to win some of those games they lost last year.