PDA

View Full Version : Where does all of this leave Coastal?

Sir William
May 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Something that's been lost in all this discussion about CAA and SoCon realignments is the pending status of the Big South, and in particular Coastal. Losing Stony Brook and VMI drops their football league down to 5...then back up to 6 with Monmouth coming in. If Liberty finds a way and a place to bolt, then what?

If I were Coastal, I'd be doing everything I could to woo the CAA. SoCon's probably not an option for the Chants...at least not at present.

Any thoughts?

kdinva
May 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Losing Stony Brook and VMI drops their football league down to six...then back up to 7 with Monmouth coming in.

Big South FB has six teams in 2013, six in 2014 (add Monmouth, subtract VMI)........I say Big South looks to add Kennesaw St. by 2015 or 2016.......

Apphole
May 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
SoCon + BigSouth merger?

asumike83
May 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
I'm sure Coastal would love nothing more than to join Charleston, UNCW and Elon in the CAA if there is interest from the conference.

Sir William
May 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
SoCon + BigSouth merger?

Uh, no. Not gonna happen.

Mocs123
May 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
I would like to see Coastal and KSU in the SoCon. Coastal would bring an established football program (of which the SoCon is suddenly lacking) and KSU would be a close drive from Chattanooga. Liberty would be a great add too but I think they have their sights on FBS.

Sir William
May 22nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
I would like to see Coastal...in the SoCon

I'm sure Coastal would like this too...but read the papers - it ain't happening.

And it's been argued ad nauseum as to why or why not that should be. But it doesn't matter, cause again - it ain't happening.

superman7515
May 22nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Liberty isn't going anywhere despite all their public efforts to the contrary. They've done everything they can and still conferences are afraid to touch them. They should just concentrate for the time being on making the Big South more stable. Go after KSU, UNA, anyone that will listen.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Liberty isn't going anywhere despite all their public efforts to the contrary. They've done everything they can and still conferences are afraid to touch them. They should just concentrate for the time being on making the Big South more stable. Go after KSU, UNA, anyone that will listen.

What about going to the SoCon?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
And for that matter, what about Gardner-Webb? Seems silly to me to consider VMI and not them.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
What about Chuck South and the Presbyterian Smurfettes?

rokamortis
May 22nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
For Coastal - CAA would be ideal but I see being so close to UNCW and CofC as a possible problem as well as not fitting the CAA profile. It would make for a nice southern division with ridiculously strong baseball and relatively easy travel.

There was a rumor that the Big South and A-Sun would partner so any A-Sun schools wanting to play scholarship football (KSU) could easily play in the BSC. Seems like the best bet.

Saint3333
May 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
SoCon would probably add GWebb over CCU.

The Cats
May 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
And for that matter, what about Gardner-Webb? Seems silly to me to consider VMI and not them.

Apples and oranges.

walliver
May 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
SoCon would probably add GWebb over CCU.

The SoCon would probably pick PC before GWU.

If push came to shove, the SoCon would bite the bullet and pick CCU over GWU, PC, or CSU.

chargeradio
May 22nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Would any D2 schools in the Big South footprint be willing to move up?

CID1990
May 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
The SoCon would probably pick PC before GWU.

If push came to shove, the SoCon would bite the bullet and pick CCU over GWU, PC, or CSU.

If the SoCon goes for another team (I am thinking that the addition of 3 teams instead of 2 was in anticipation of Elon leaving), I think it will come down to KSU or CCU, and personally I would be in favor of CCU out of those two. If we are going to add another school in SC then probably better to make it CCU.

If the conference waits a year or two to give another school a look you could probably add Jacksonville to the mix.