henfan
May 22nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Link:
http://1045theteam.com/ualbany-colonial-athletic-association/

The Cats
May 22nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Link:
http://1045theteam.com/ualbany-colonial-athletic-association/

I'm sure that move tips the scale in favor of Elon joining. They want more northern exposure, they got it. LOL

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Congrats Scoobies.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
One tweet is the source of an entire news article. Interesting.

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM

Why? You've used less "reporting" for some of your 10,000-word conference realignment dissertations.

danefan
May 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
I'm not convinced yet, but I'm pretty sure we'll know 100% soon enough.

NHwildEcat
May 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Let's say this is legit and happening...how soon before the AE replaces them with CCSU?

PAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Let's say this is legit and happening...how soon before the AE replaces them with CCSU?

And if so, where does CCSU play football? Does the NEC take Monmouth back as an associate or do we now have two FCS independents in the NE?

NHwildEcat
May 22nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
And if so, where does CCSU play football? Does the NEC take Monmouth back as an associate or do we now have two FCS independents in the NE?

Good questions, I didn't even get that far!

Dane96
May 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM

Yup. Unless Jay confirmed...then it is BAD reporting.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Brian Mull @BGMull
Elon's addition gives CAA 10 members. Albany, per multiple sources, still weighing options. Ideally, 1 more Southern school = 2 divisions

Hm.

danefan
May 22nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Albany with the obligatory denial which equates to pretty much a confirmation:

http://therecordsports.blogspot.com/

The UAlbany Athletic Department released the following statement on Wednesday afternoon.

"At this time, the reports that we are moving to the CAA are untrue. We remain a partner of the America East and we have no further comment on conference affiliation at this time."

danefan
May 23rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Word is Albany admin has passed on the offer.

I'm not surprised.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
Word is Albany admin has passed on the offer.

I'm not surprised.

Me neither.

ccd494
May 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Where does CAA turn next? Gallaudet is in the footprint.

WMTribe90
May 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
SBU or UNH would be my preferences and in that order for a northern all-sports member.

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
SBU or UNH would be my preferences and in that order for a northern all-sports member.

I wish.

ccd494
May 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM

I'm sure UNCW and CofC would be thrilled to add a trip to Durham to play a basketball team that is usually sub-300 in the RPI and plays in a high school gym.

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
I'm sure UNCW and CofC would be thrilled to add a trip to Durham to play a basketball team that is usually sub-300 in the RPI and plays in a high school gym.

They could play in the Whit, you'd have to get used to the echoes but still.

WMTribe90
May 23rd, 2013, 01:39 PM

Which is why SBU would be my first choice for northern expansion.

1) SBU
2) Albany
3) UNH

clickclack
May 23rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
I'd wait until July 1 or at least June 1 to see if they really passed...to much wiggle room offered...not sure it's dead...reeks of UA trying to reign in what got out to soon...

State Line Liquors
May 23rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
I would classify Albany declining a CAA invite as a very healthy kick directly in the ball bag to the CAA's leadership.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM

And those America East schools would prefer to join the CAA in basketball, whereas Albany refused, because.... ???

New England schools belong in a New England conference for basketball, unless it would be an upgrade from a 1-bid league to a 2-bid league.

The CAA is a 1-bid league.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Which is why SBU would be my first choice for northern expansion.

1) SBU
2) Albany
3) UNH

SB in, Hofstra, Northeastern and Drexel out - eh?

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
And those America East schools would prefer to join the CAA in basketball, whereas Albany refused, because.... ???

New England schools belong in a New England conference for basketball, unless it would be an upgrade from a 1-bid league to a 2-bid league.

All is UNH basketball helps no one in RPI, all it does it help teams load up on wins. UNH wouldn't be competitive in most D2 conferences...maybe in D3. But who knows.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
I would classify Albany declining a CAA invite as a very healthy kick directly in the ball bag to the CAA's leadership.

C'mon, State Line. You know that I can't spread any more Reputation to you.

henfan
May 23rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Albany P/R damage control or truthiness? If nothing happens in the next 2-3 weeks, I suppose we'll have our answer.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
All is UNH basketball helps no one in RPI, all it does it help teams load up on wins. UNH wouldn't be competitive in most D2 conferences...maybe in D3. But who knows.

I wonder if there has ever been, in the history of the NCAA in all divisions, a school that meets all the requirements of NCAA membership, belongs to a conference in good standing, etc........but does not sponsor men's basketball?

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
I wonder if there has ever been, in the history of the NCAA in all divisions, a school that meets all the requirements of NCAA membership, belongs to a conference in good standing, etc........but does not sponsor men's basketball?

I would argue that UNH doesn't sponsor men's basketball.

WMTribe90
May 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM

I know its been a tough day for you with the CAA adding Elon and hurting your "the CAA is imploding" narrative, but maybe you can give it a rest for a day or two.

As for the rest of your post. All we know for sure is Albany is not joining the CAA today or the "near future". Two months from now? Anything is possible and nothing has been ruled out.

Some 1-bid leagues are a lot closer to an at-large than others. Want to bet on which league gets an at-large first?

SBU moving to the CAA would be an upgrade in virtually every sport. Why would they want that?

Guessing the WM, UR and VU to PL announcement will be coming any day now...

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
I've never said that WM or Richmond should move to the PL.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
I would argue that UNH doesn't sponsor men's basketball.

No I get it. But still....there X members of the NCAA...and I'm willing to be there are also X men's basketball teams in the NCAA.

NHwildEcat
May 23rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
No I get it. But still....there X members of the NCAA...and I'm willing to be there are also X men's basketball teams in the NCAA.

I would think so. The costs are so minimal, it's easier to have bball programs. I know soccer/baseball/football/hockey are not at all schools. Although I would guess soccer is the second most played sport...

Laker
May 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM

Yes, Portland State did- I think in the late 80s or early 90s. There was some kind of scandal and they dropped the sport but obviously brought it back. I'll try to find more info about it.

walliver
May 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Yes, Portland State did- I think in the late 80s or early 90s. There was some kind of scandal and they dropped the sport but obviously brought it back. I'll try to find more info about it.

Tulane also dropped men's basketball in the 1980's after the Hot Rod Williams point shaving scandal. It was intended to be permanent, but they changed their minds.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
I would think so. The costs are so minimal, it's easier to have bball programs. I know soccer/baseball/football/hockey are not at all schools. Although I would guess soccer is the second most played sport...

Women's soccer might be the most participated sport at levels younger than high school.

Men's soccer is hardly a prevalent sport in the NCAA.

Laker
May 23rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
Portland State dropped men's basketball for "financial reasons" from 1981-96 when they joined the Big Sky. They did have women's basketball at the time.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM

Miami, 1971-88.

No probation, no scandal.. .just didn't do it.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Well thanks for the history lesson guys!

Now I would restrict my question to simply be the "modern era". I doubt there are any NCAA members now...certainly not in DI...that don't have men's bball.

Go...gate
May 23rd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Is Albany in or out of the CAA for all-sports?

danefan
May 23rd, 2013, 07:34 PM

Not in yet.

Not officially out yet though.

Who knows at this point.

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 07:51 PM

Actually, I think they just wanted something to speculate about. My guess no.

Go...gate
May 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
OK. Thought for a minute that it was a done deal.

danefan
May 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
OK. Thought for a minute that it was a done deal.

Believe it or not, the America East has a $1m exit fee for less than 2 years notice. I can only imagine that is a "point of negotiation" at this time.

superman7515
May 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Well thanks for the history lesson guys!

Now I would restrict my question to simply be the "modern era". I doubt there are any NCAA members now...certainly not in DI...that don't have men's bball.

The modern era is post 1946. If you were simply talking about the modern era of the NCAA, it would be 1978-present when the NCAA made the split, so many of those teams would be included.

The Cats
May 23rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
University at Albany officials on Wednesday denied Internet rumors suggesting the school is on the verge of leaving the America East Conference to join the Colonial Athletic Association in all sports.

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/ualbany-denies-rumors-that-move-to-caa-is-imminent/16112/

danefan
May 24th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Full article.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-planning-to-stay-in-league-4544844.php

Seems pretty official but you never know. we've all seen these "total denial" articles before.

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Believe it or not, the America East has a $1m exit fee for less than 2 years notice. I can only imagine that is a "point of negotiation" at this time.

Wow, good for the AE. I didn't think that would be the case.

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Women's soccer might be the most participated sport at levels younger than high school.

Men's soccer is hardly a prevalent sport in the NCAA.

I'd argue that. While soccer isn't as popular in the day to day of college sports and isn't a sexy sport to talk about there are over 200 D1 schools who field teams. That puts it 4th in team sports.

1. Basketball 347 teams
2. Baseball 280
3. Football 252
4. Soccer 203

Then a huge drop down to Lacrosse with 63, Ice Hockey with 59, Water Polo with 42, and finally Volleyball with 23.

Note, these numbers are just the Men's team sports.

For women:

Softball 346
Basketball 338
Volleyball 329
Soccer 310

mainejeff
May 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Guessing the WM, UR and VU to PL announcement will be coming any day now...

I think that we will see this........let's be real.........none of those 3 fan bases are gonna be doing cartwheels over Albany, Stony Brook or Elon invading their stadiums on Saturdays.

henfan
May 24th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Too bad if UA doesn't end up coming. Would have been nice to get them into the Colonial Academic Alliance (http://colonialacademicalliance.org/?DB_OEM_ID=8500). From the academic side of things, this is one element of CAA membership that UD has really appreciated.

Not being that familiar with the inner workings of the America East any longer, did the conference ever get around to adopting a similar type of academic resource sharing program?

aceinthehole
May 24th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I'd argue that. While soccer isn't as popular in the day to day of college sports and isn't a sexy sport to talk about there are over 200 D1 schools who field teams. That puts it 4th in team sports.

1. Basketball 347 teams
2. Baseball 280
3. Football 252
4. Soccer 203

Then a huge drop down to Lacrosse with 63, Ice Hockey with 59, Water Polo with 42, and finally Volleyball with 23.

Note, these numbers are just the Men's team sports.

For women:

Softball 346
Basketball 338
Volleyball 329
Soccer 310

Are you sure about the number of women's teams?

I think there are 345 Women's Basketball teams (Citadel and VMI) vs. 347 men's basketball teams.

danefan
May 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Too bad if UA doesn't end up coming. Would have been nice to get them into the Colonial Academic Alliance (http://colonialacademicalliance.org/?DB_OEM_ID=8500). From the academic side of things, this is one element of CAA membership that UD has really appreciated.

Not being that familiar with the inner workings of the America East any longer, did the conference ever get around to adopting a similar type of academic resource sharing program?

I've never heard of the AEast doing anything like this. And it makes this apparent offer rejection even more disappointing.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
McElroy said he was caught off guard by how quickly rumors spread around the web about the rumored relocation to the CAA. A site called One-Bid Wonders tweeted the report Wednesday, citing unnamed sources.

McElroy doesn't have a Twitter account but was able to follow the frenzy online.

"I just couldn't realize the pace of activity and scope of people weighing in on something that, again, was purely speculation," McElroy said.

McElroy said he let university president Robert Jones know that "none of this was emanating from us."

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-planning-to-stay-in-league-4544844.php#ixzz2UDkHSCG2

Ouch!

aceinthehole
May 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I think that we will see this........let's be real.........none of those 3 fan bases are gonna be doing cartwheels over Albany, Stony Brook or Elon invading their stadiums on Saturdays.

MJ - if you really think that W&M, Richmond, and 'Nova, et al don't value the games with the AE memebrs, why not do somithing about it?
Then why won't the AE sponsor football? The AE has 4 CAA Football team, could add 2 more football schools (Bryant & CCSU) as full members to reach 6. Then you add URI, Monmouth, and others as fb-affiliates.

The fact is Maine and UNH are just as much as the cause of instability of the AE, as Albany and SBU are for "exploring their options" in other conferences.

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2013, 09:52 AM

I think there are 345 Women's Basketball teams (Citadel and VMI) vs. 347 men's basketball teams.

Honestly, that is just numbers I pulled from the NCAA page on Wikipedia. I have been trying to find a list to check the bball numbers with but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Honestly, that is just numbers I pulled from the NCAA page on Wikipedia. I have been trying to find a list to check the bball numbers with but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

You would appear to be right. I just checked the latest RPI and 345 was the number.

Dane96
May 24th, 2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-planning-to-stay-in-league-4544844.php#ixzz2UDkHSCG2

Ouch!

Indeed! But I still think it's spindoctoring. President Jones was in Boston yesterday, so no announcement could/would have been made. Too bad, I was supposed to meet him but unfortunately I had another obligation a tthe last minute.

henfan
May 24th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I've never heard of the AEast doing anything like this.

I know something like this had been discussed by the AEC circa 1996 (I'm dating myself!) with DU, UD & BU leading the charge. There are some terrific academic schools in the AEC, so it's too bad that they still haven't put together any sort of academic sharing agreement.

WMTribe90
May 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Personally, I'd rather play SBU, Albany, Elon (in addition to all the other current CAA members) than Bucknell, Georgetown, and Holy Cross. SBU and Albany were in the playoffs last year. You need to let it go Jeff. The majority of people at UR, VU and WM want nothing to do with PL football (as it currently exists). UR fans raised such an uproar at the suggestion of joining the PL for football a few years back that the admin had to pull a 180 due to the backlash. I know you'd like the CAA to implode so some sort of NE FCS conference can rise from the ashes, but stop confusing your wishes for reality and just enjoy being in one of the best FCS conferences in the country.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Guys...this is really easy when you think about it for more than two seconds. Look at the sponsorship numbers for non-football team sports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_(NCAA)#Overview

For men's you've got basketball, baseball and soccer, for women's you've got softball, basketball, volleyball and soccer. Everything else is a niche sport at best, even lacrosse - which the AEC doesn't sponsor and the CAA readily takes affiliates for that sport anyway.

And the rest of the sports athletes can qualify as individuals (swimming, track, tennis, golf, wrestling, etc.)

The point I'm getting at here is: what is the point of a non-football conference for FCS football schools? What is the main benefit?

Truthfully, the correct answer is: 1) having access to a conference schedule of games (ie, not needed to schedule every game) and 2) access to the NCAA post season tournaments for those sports.

That's really it. There are, for the most part, no other benefits to be had in these 1-bid leagues.

So why on earth would a school switch from the 1-bid America East to be in the 1-bid CAA??? Especially a school that's located in New England?? You're trading far increasing travel costs for .... no additional benefit. Doesn't make sense.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Personally, I'd rather play SBU, Albany, Elon (in addition to all the other current CAA members) than Bucknell, Georgetown, and Holy Cross.

While I question lumping Albany and SBU in here, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that of these six schools, only Elon's away fans will pack Zable. I'd imagine both Bill and Mary are elated that Elon is joining.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM

There might be some schools hiding out there in the woodwork that do not sponsor women's basketball that you might never suspect.

For example, I'm pretty sure Utah St did not sponsor women's basketball until recently.

hebmskebm
May 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Guys...this is really easy when you think about it for more than two seconds. Look at the sponsorship numbers for non-football team sports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_(NCAA)#Overview

For men's you've got basketball, baseball and soccer, for women's you've got softball, basketball, volleyball and soccer. Everything else is a niche sport at best, even lacrosse - which the AEC doesn't sponsor and the CAA readily takes affiliates for that sport anyway.

And the rest of the sports athletes can qualify as individuals (swimming, track, tennis, golf, wrestling, etc.)

The point I'm getting at here is: what is the point of a non-football conference for FCS football schools? What is the main benefit?

Truthfully, the correct answer is: 1) having access to a conference schedule of games (ie, not needed to schedule every game) and 2) access to the NCAA post season tournaments for those sports.

That's really it. There are, for the most part, no other benefits to be had in these 1-bid leagues.

So why on earth would a school switch from the 1-bid America East to be in the 1-bid CAA??? Especially a school that's located in New England?? You're trading far increasing travel costs for .... no additional benefit. Doesn't make sense.

NY is not considered part of New England. New England is MA, NH, VT, ME, RI, and CT.

aceinthehole
May 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM
There might be some schools hiding out there in the woodwork that do not sponsor women's basketball that you might never suspect.

For example, I'm pretty sure Utah St did not sponsor women's basketball until recently.

The fact of the matter is, as of the 2012-13 season, just 2 DI schools (VMI and Citadel) do not sponsor women's basketball. All 347 Division I schools do sponsor men's basketball.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
NY is not considered part of New England. New England is MA, NH, VT, ME, RI, and CT.

Non post.

A) I already knew that.

B) Albany is close enough to Vermont for any non-obtuse dolt to get it.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
The fact of the matter is, as of the 2012-13 season, just 2 DI schools (VMI and Citadel) do not sponsor women's basketball. All 347 Division I schools do sponsor men's basketball.

You are correct.

From the horse's mouth, so to speak: http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec2/sponsorship

This shows 348 men's and 346 women's -- only because for some reason it is still listing Centenary as being in DI but reclassifying to DIII.

So 347 and 345 is correct.

Also that site shows 292 (or really 291 without Centenary) softball programs. So yeah, the wiki list is a little bit messed up.

Sandlapper Spike
May 24th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Elon's away fans will pack Zable

Only if Zable is the size of a phone booth...

UAalum72
May 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM
There's a baseball RPI site that shows 298 Division I teams, though some (NY Tech, Dallas Baptist) are D-II playing up.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

and America East does sponsor lacrosse.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
There's a baseball RPI site that shows 298 Division I teams, though some (NY Tech, Dallas Baptist) are D-II playing up.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

and America East does sponsor lacrosse.

The NCAA site I linked above confirms 298 DI baseball teams (299 including Centenary).

Right you are on AE lacrosse! Wow...not only sponsors it, but pretty darn good participation from the league schools in what is undoubtedly a niche sport! I guess not in New England....

Anyway, that takes away nothing from my explanation for why it's nonsensical for any AE school to switch to the CAA as a non-football conference. In either case, any AE school could gain affiliate membership in CAA lacrosse if the AE didn't sponsor the sport.

That the CAA FC has allowed Albany and SB to join as football-only members serves to essentially kill any incentive to join the non-football side of the operation. They get to have their cake and eat it too: football in the Yankee Conference and non-football in the defacto New England conference. Keeps travel costs minimal and gives the same 1-bid to all the tournaments.

ccd494
May 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I know something like this had been discussed by the AEC circa 1996 (I'm dating myself!) with DU, UD & BU leading the charge. There are some terrific academic schools in the AEC, so it's too bad that they still haven't put together any sort of academic sharing agreement.

Part of the issue may be that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont already have a reciprocal agreement with UMass, URI and UConn (and all other system schools from all six states). If you are from, say, Rhode Island and want to major in something URI doesn't offer, you can go to UVM on an in-state tuition if UVM offers it.

There was some talk about Maine not having a pharmacy school, but someone pointed out "Maine already has two great pharmacy schools- they are just in Storrs, CT and Kingston, RI."

Obviously, some sort of similar set up with the other AEC schools would be beneficial, but with the New England agreement there probably isn't a ton of urgency.

superman7515
May 24th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Part of the issue may be that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont already have a reciprocal agreement with UMass, URI and UConn (and all other system schools from all six states). If you are from, say, Rhode Island and want to major in something URI doesn't offer, you can go to UVM on an in-state tuition if UVM offers it.

There was some talk about Maine not having a pharmacy school, but someone pointed out "Maine already has two great pharmacy schools- they are just in Storrs, CT and Kingston, RI."

Obviously, some sort of similar set up with the other AEC schools would be beneficial, but with the New England agreement there probably isn't a ton of urgency.

Delaware has a similar agreement through the Academic Common Market which allows reciprocal in-state tuition for programs not offered at public universities in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia. And also has a Regional Contract Program for in-state tuition for health related degrees at both public and private schools in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia.

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2013, 01:01 PM

I never knew this...wow.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
ccd, I believe the CAA academic alliance is trying to be the same thing to the CAA conference that the CIC (the 'academic Big Ten') is to the B1G.

Basically, trying to get profs from the different schools to work together to secure research project funding, have join projects, publish joint papers, etc.

Which is sort've a joke because none of the CAA schools do any kind of significant research (more than $100 million in funding) other than Delaware and Drexel.

Per the NSF FY10 rankings (the latest available): http://nsf.gov/statistics/nsf12330/pdf/tab15.pdf

henfan
May 24th, 2013, 02:22 PM
ccd, I believe the CAA academic alliance is trying to be the same thing to the CAA conference that the CIC (the 'academic Big Ten') is to the B1G.

Basically, trying to get profs from the different schools to work together to secure research project funding, have join projects, publish joint papers, etc.

Collaborative undergrad research is only part of what the Alliance does. There are several other components that are just a key.

The Colonial Alliance certainly isn't at the level of the CIC, nor does it pretend to be, given the profile of the institutions involved. In the end, it's just a value-added element that enhances the conference and builds interrelationships beyond athletics.

Better to have it than not.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Collaborative undergrad research is only part of what the Alliance does. There are several other components that are just a key.

The Colonial Alliance certainly isn't at the level of the CIC, nor does it pretend to be, given the profile of the institutions involved. In the end, it's just a value-added element that enhances the conference and builds interrelationships beyond athletics.

Better to have it than not.

They are value add and I would suggest any university that is trying to be at least a 'significant' player in academic research in the US should be apart of one (not sure if NDSU is..).

Simply...why such partnerships would be draw on the same lines as an athletic conference consisting of completely discontiguous institutions in academics terms, is very perplexing.

Go...gate
May 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Delaware has a similar agreement through the Academic Common Market which allows reciprocal in-state tuition for programs not offered at public universities in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia. And also has a Regional Contract Program for in-state tuition for health related degrees at both public and private schools in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia.

Universities banding together for academic reasons and fostering the affordability of a college education for aspiring people - what a concept! :D

Go...gate
May 24th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I like hearing about such alliances because it opens horizons for young people - or anyone who wants to better themselves. As much as I am a college sports junkie, it is always secondary to the reasons the schools exist.

Sitting Bull
May 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM
While I question lumping Albany and SBU in here, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that of these six schools, only Elon's away fans will pack Zable. I'd imagine both Bill and Mary are elated that Elon is joining.

Obviously since the other five can't even pack their own stadiums.

Sitting Bull
May 24th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Wow, good for the AE. I didn't think that would be the case.

Yikes. I was surprised to learn that if true.

It does seem to me that UAlbany just couldn't afford to leave. Since most of the AE schools athletic departments are pretty cash poor, this is like living in North Korea. You're stuck.

danefan
May 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Yikes. I was surprised to learn that if true.

It does seem to me that UAlbany just couldn't afford to leave. Since most of the AE schools athletic departments are pretty cash poor, this is like living in North Korea. You're stuck.
Our beat writer confirmed with AEast home office.

It must be post-BU.