PDA

View Full Version : AGS Preseason Poll will not be run over Memoreial Day Weekend

AGSPoll
May 22nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
These are the important dates for registration and voting in the Preseason Poll for 2013.

2013 AGS Poll Registration:

Opens
Monday, Jul 15, 2013

Closes
Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at or around 10p Eastern

2013 AGS Preseason Poll voting:

Opens
Friday, Jul 26, 2013

Closes
Monday, Jul 29, 2013

Keep an eye out for those dates if you are a voter or plan to become an AGS Poll voter for 2013 as there will be a couple threads stating the rules and registration process closer to those dates. Don't worry those threads will be pumped up pretty good so it will be hard to miss them.

All times listed above are subject to slight variations which will be clearly publicized at the time(s) or events.

bluehenbillk
May 22nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
So..before the poll goes, what are people's takes on App State & Georgia So? They are ineligible for postseason, so do you rank them in your poll??

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
So..before the poll goes, what are people's takes on App State & Georgia So? They are ineligible for postseason, so do you rank them in your poll??

It's been lightly mentioned on another thread but they are unfortunately not gonna be on the ballots as a selection choice for this season. It sucks bad but as in the past if you have what your conference or the NCAA deems as an advantage then those teams are also not eligible for this. Had the sam issue a couple years ago with Texas State but it's just the way it is.

ngineer
May 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
If polling is to reflect the relative strength of all teams in FCS, then they should be included. If polling is to reflect the relative strength of all teams for playoff consideration, then they should not. All depends on the purpose of the poll. If polls are part of the "calculus" that the NCAA Committee uses to gauge the strength of the playoff contenders, then ASU and GSU should not be in those polls. The question, then, is what is the purpose of our poll? If for use in debating the relative strengths of all FCS teams, then I say include them as part of the debate.

kdinva
May 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
If polling is to reflect the relative strength of all teams in FCS, then they should be included.......The question, then, is what is the purpose of our poll? If for use in debating the relative strengths of all FCS teams, then I say include them as part of the debate.

agree, include them.......

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
If polling is to reflect the relative strength of all teams in FCS, then they should be included. If polling is to reflect the relative strength of all teams for playoff consideration, then they should not. All depends on the purpose of the poll. If polls are part of the "calculus" that the NCAA Committee uses to gauge the strength of the playoff contenders, then ASU and GSU should not be in those polls. The question, then, is what is the purpose of our poll? If for use in debating the relative strengths of all FCS teams, then I say include them as part of the debate.

They are FBS transitional due to the timing of the announcement and the pumping up of scholarships or process of that anyway. If the announced move had come after June then they would be operating under the rules ODU was last year and be on the level with other FCS teams but they are seen to have an advantage and probably do have one.

This was all discussed a couple years go when the Texas State issue arose and it was decided then that most voters, committee members, etc. thought this was the way the poll should be run so I guess to answer the question of what the purpose of the poll is it's probably more along the lines of the latter although the FCS playoff contenders are those teams that are still true FCS teams so I think it's a good guide to abide by.

Twentysix
May 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
I'll be on the road... Hopefully I can participate starting in the later preseason poll.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/980742_10151669807047008_60917805_o.jpg

SUPharmacist
May 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Twentysix,
I am jealous, is this for fun or work?

Twentysix
May 23rd, 2013, 12:26 AM
Twentysix,
I am jealous, is this for fun or work?

It's for a conference in Flagstaff, AZ (NAU); then a fun route back that will take 5-6 weeks.

danefan
May 23rd, 2013, 05:48 AM

They're not FCS teams anymore. Players aren't eligible for awards nor are teams eligible for championships.

They don't belong in the poll. I think it's the correct decision.

Same goes for ODU right?

UNH Fanboi
May 23rd, 2013, 07:41 AM
Great, now we get to listen to GSU and ASU fans crow about how how they're above FCS while simultaneously whining about not being included in the FCS rankings.

bluehenbillk
May 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'll be on the road... Hopefully I can participate starting in the later preseason poll.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/980742_10151669807047008_60917805_o.jpg

West Coast Bias

superman7515
May 23rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
They're not FCS teams anymore. Players aren't eligible for awards nor are teams eligible for championships.

They don't belong in the poll. I think it's the correct decision.

Same goes for ODU right?

App State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State (not that it would have been a problem), and Old Dominion are all out.