PDA

View Full Version : New FieldTurf at Georgetown

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM
At least Georgetown is putting SOME money into the MSF. Granted, they probably had no choice...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKy4sstCAAAeLoV.jpg

CFBfan
May 21st, 2013, 03:51 PM
At least Georgetown is putting SOME money into the MSF. Granted, they probably had no choice...

they really did have no choice, it was in TERRIBLE condition

Go...gate
May 21st, 2013, 03:59 PM
It is not like they need to add 10,000 seats. Even 2,500 more would make a difference. And I like the on-campus setting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 21st, 2013, 04:02 PM
It is not like they need to add 10,000 seats. Even 2,500 more would make a difference. And I like the on-campus setting.

The pic above makes the MSF look about as good as it can. It actually makes it appear bigger than it is. Add another 2,500 seats and it becomes a perfectly suitable stadium in a great setting.

kdinva
May 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Even 2,500 more would make a difference.

Amen, shoot for 3,500 more.......that would make the M.S.F. ahead of Chuck South's place.

PAllen
May 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Here's what I don't understand: Georgetown more than sells out just about every week. How much would 2500 more "temporary" stands cost, and how long before they more than made up for that in ticket revenue? I have no Idea what Georgetown draws for Men's Lax, but that would help too. I know the administration doesn't give a crap about the FB team, but at some point, it becomes a money "loser" not to build more seats.

Go...gate
May 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM
I'm figuring 5-6,000 total capacity (Fordham is 7,000, and Colgate is 10,221, though in Colgate's case the true capacity could vary a bit).

Pard4Life
May 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Probably funded this based on their exclusive TV relationship with Verizon FIOS. After all, such a lucrative relationship must pay dividends in some fashion.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM
This is fantastic news for the Georgetown lacrosse program.

Bogus Megapardus
May 21st, 2013, 09:24 PM
Where is DFW? This should be a major news story in his universe.

Pard: Look at this place! You expect us to televise this game live standing on nothing more than a pile of rocks?

Hoya: What Rocks?

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2013, 09:45 PM
Here's what I don't understand: Georgetown more than sells out just about every week. How much would 2500 more "temporary" stands cost, and how long before they more than made up for that in ticket revenue? I have no Idea what Georgetown draws for Men's Lax, but that would help too. I know the administration doesn't give a crap about the FB team, but at some point, it becomes a money "loser" not to build more seats.

The administration does "give a crap", otherwise, it wouldn't even play football, or it would have moved the team to a city park like it did to baseball and softball.

After eight years, the weathered wood bleachers, gravel walkways, portable toilets, and temporary scoreboard built for a few weeks of games in 2005 before "real" construction would begin have received their due share of ridicule and head-shaking. This project has been leap-frogged by no fewer than four other capital projects which had one thing the MSF did not: money. A dormitory, a fine arts center, a business school, and a science building all had significant institutional and philanthropic support which the MSF didn't get.

The soccer team was playing on an old field adjacent to the hospital heliport when a parent funded a new facility; albeit much less than the MSF, it certainly suits the needs of that program. It's going to take that kind of gift to put a defribiliator paddle on this project.

Of couse, it raises this conundrum: if you had a seven figure gift on your desk, would it be better spent on bleachers, a press box, a video board.. or on scholarships, a game day locker room that the team does not have, or any number of basic training facility issues that Georgetown does not offer any its student-athletes, not even basketball players?

The MSF gets fixed when someone steps up with the cash and they want that (and only that) to get done.

Shaw Field (soccer-only facility):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--rEmYaLERTM/UFZFzEnLoJI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/UF32DL32N9c/s640/northkehoe.jpg

Go Green
May 22nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
The administration does "give a crap", otherwise, it wouldn't even play football, or it would have moved the team to a city park like it did to baseball and softball.

There's always the DC Armory. Plenty of seats, you can easily play a game in there. Right next to a metro. Can't imagine what else they are using it for on Saturday afternoons...

PAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
There's always the DC Armory. Plenty of seats, you can easily play a game in there. Right next to a metro. Can't imagine what else they are using it for on Saturday afternoons...

Arena Football back in DC, this time for a shot at the NCAA post-season. I don't know that the atmosphere would be much worse than MSF, but it would certainly be emptier, and would kill the program. The Armory is very much on the other side of town from Georgetown in more ways than one. Could definitely give them home field advantage though, as I would venture to say that no one will have tried a punting game or kickoffs in that type of environment.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM

I constantly forget that Georgetown has football. Good to see them putting some resources, even if small, into football.

Go Green
May 22nd, 2013, 05:36 PM
The Armory is very much on the other side of town from Georgetown in more ways than one.

Back in the 1960s, that area wasn't too different from "The Wire." George Washington used to play there (at next door RFK), but attendance got so low that they dropped the program. Nobody wanted to venture out there. It's a shame because the metro was built a few years later, and would have helped.

The area isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. But yeah--Georgetown is nicer, and it would be a tough sell getting students to trek out there. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Good to see Hoyas. I really like the Gtown setting and hope it grows some as far as fan interest and revenue etc. but I think they are doing what a real school in the position they are in should be doing.