PDA

View Full Version : UNCW Excited About Soon To Be Announced CAA Additions

superman7515
May 20th, 2013, 08:32 PM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130520/ARTICLES/130529970/1177?p=1&tc=pg

"We aren't done with expansion," Bass said. "I'm fairly pleased with what I think is going to transpire in the CAA in coming weeks."

Leaving the CAA would come with a cost. University presidents raised the exit fee to $1 million last June. The remaining schools are also set to share millions in NCAA Tournament revenue generated primarily by VCU's 2011 Final Four run and forfeited by the four departing schools, although the exact payout is unclear.

Bass declined to mention specific schools hovering on the CAA's radar; however, multiple sources told the StarNews that Elon and Albany remain prime targets and administration at both universities are exploring conference affiliation options.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Elon would be a very good add for the CAA.

I visited their campus for our game down there a few years back and was very impressed by their campus and facilities.

walliver
May 20th, 2013, 09:13 PM
UNC-W is excited by new additions while exploring a conference move.

Elon would be attractive to UNC-W, but Albany would be a turn-off from a travel standpoint.

Sitting Bull
May 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Mercer apparently also in the expansion mix.

Seems obvious a north/south arrangement is the desired set-up. In that regard, Elon, Mercer and UAlbany would all fit in pretty well. Mercer is also starting fcs level football this year.

The Cats
May 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Mercer apparently also in the expansion mix.

Seems obvious a north/south arrangement is the desired set-up. In that regard, Elon, Mercer and UAlbany would all fit in pretty well. Mercer is also starting fcs level football this year.

The SoCon just had their visit to Mercer on Friday. Never would have happened if Mercer wasn't already a done deal for the SoCon. I'm not so sure Elon will take the leap either. Most likely, the CAA looks north for additions.

Sitting Bull
May 20th, 2013, 09:49 PM
The SoCon just had their visit to Mercer on Friday. Never would have happened if Mercer wasn't already a done deal for the SoCon. I'm not so sure Elon will take the leap either. Most likely, the CAA looks north for additions.

Not sure what the visit confirms but I think the So Con could be a good fit for Mercer. Easier travel, an upgrade from the ASun, etc. It would be a bigger leap to the CAA. Depends on how high they want to jump.

I think Elon has already made their decision and don't think it involves sticking with the So Con.

phoenix3
May 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Elon would be a very good add for the CAA.

I visited their campus for our game down there a few years back and was very impressed by their campus and facilities.

Come visit us again. You'll be blown away by the campus changes just since 2009. The campus has grown and had many additions.

NHwildEcat
May 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
If I missed something, please let me know but as I see it for 2013 the CAA will have 9 full members(C of C, UDel, Drexel, Hofstra, JMU, NU, TU, UNC-W & W&M)

If, Albany joins along with Elon and Mercer that would give the conference 12 teams and the ability to divide into 2 divisions.

North: Albany, UDel, Hofstra, NU, Drexel, TU
South: Elon, Mercer, C of C, JMU, UNC-W, W&M

Is that idea? Or would it be better off bringing in more schools to make those divisions even bigger and further limit travel on schools like UNC-W?

danefan
May 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM
If I missed something, please let me know but as I see it for 2013 the CAA will have 9 full members(C of C, UDel, Drexel, Hofstra, JMU, NU, TU, UNC-W & W&M)

If, Albany joins along with Elon and Mercer that would give the conference 12 teams and the ability to divide into 2 divisions.

North: Albany, UDel, Hofstra, NU, Drexel, TU
South: Elon, Mercer, C of C, JMU, UNC-W, W&M

Is that idea? Or would it be better off bringing in more schools to make those divisions even bigger and further limit travel on schools like UNC-W?

They've said 12 for now, but I could easily see it go to 14.

North: Albany, UDel, Hofstra, NU, Drexel, TU, Stony Brook, New Hampshire xcoffeex
South: Elon, Mercer, C of C, JMU, UNC-W, W&M, Furman, Wofford

NHwildEcat
May 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM

North: Albany, UDel, Hofstra, NU, Drexel, TU, Stony Brook, New Hampshire xcoffeex

Yeah, that is what I was wondering because if Albany leaves then America East once again will be looking to fill in an open spot. BU left, so Lowell jumped in. If all of a sudden Albany leaves then what is the next shoe to drop? Bryant or Quinnipiac replaces them? Then before you know it Stony Brook is gone...on and on.

phoenix3
May 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM
Wofford ain't hapnin'. Book that.

The Cats
May 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM

I always say, if you're going to dream, might as well dream big.

danefan
May 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM
I always say, if you're going to dream, might as well dream big.

Exactly....:)

bluehenbillk
May 21st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Whoa...where did all this Mercer talk come from?? Mercer? I had to look it up - I didn't even know where it was. Mercer to the CAA? You gotta be kidding me...

fc97
May 21st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Whoa...where did all this Mercer talk come from?? Mercer? I had to look it up - I didn't even know where it was. Mercer to the CAA? You gotta be kidding me...

this kind of talk is silly to me. i know people that cant tell me where standford, northwestern or vanderbilt are. does that make them less of schools? just because a state or large city name isn't in the title of the university really doesn't mean anything

Apphole
May 21st, 2013, 08:30 AM

JMU is standing on the corner with his bags packed.

They'll be the taking the App State route to FBS: Waiting for a CUSA that's never coming and joining the SBC after a year.

whoanellie
May 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM
Rhodes Stadium w/ their addition of the Football/ Training Facility is a jewel. The 3 million Softball Park adds tailgate parking right across the street from the Stadium. As a Football Alum I really have no clue as to our move. I believe We have been an asset to the SoCon and it has been a great fit for us. It is a great league but recent defections in this landscape make it intriguing to move to the CAA. I know one thing Elon will still be asking for money...forever.
Come visit us again. You'll be blown away by the campus changes just since 2009. The campus has grown and had many additions.

CID1990
May 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM

This is just as likely as your scenario:

South: Elon, Mercer, C of C, JMU, UNC-W, W&M, Alabama, LSU

superman7515
May 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM

I agree. There is no way Mercer gets into the CAA, there hasn't even been a single rumor of CAA interest until Sitting Bull mentioned them in this thread. Everything before has been about them going to the SoCon.

asumike83
May 21st, 2013, 08:48 AM
Regardless of where Mercer goes, they'll be a whipping boy in football for a few years. However, they will also be a nice baseball and basketball asset.

aceinthehole
May 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that is what I was wondering because if Albany leaves then America East once again will be looking to fill in an open spot. BU left, so Lowell jumped in. If all of a sudden Albany leaves then what is the next shoe to drop? Bryant or Quinnipiac replaces them? Then before you know it Stony Brook is gone...on and on.

QU is already heading to the MAAC (with Monmouth) for next season. They aren't joining the AE.

The AE's expansion targets are likely Bryant, CCSU, and NJIT

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
QU is already heading to the MAAC (with Monmouth) for next season. They aren't joining the AE.

The AE's expansion targets are likely Bryant, CCSU, and the tubercular leper of a school NJIT

Fixed it for you. :D Safe to say NJIT is, um, a last-case scenario.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
JMU is standing on the corner with his bags packed.

They'll be the taking the App State route to FBS: Waiting for a CUSA that's never coming and joining the SBC after a year.

Or they could be taking the ODU path to C-USA, or as I like to call it the "get-out-of-jail-free" card which precludes them from doing time in Sun Belt prison in the FBS.

asumike83
May 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Or they could be taking the ODU path to C-USA, or as I like to call it the "get-out-of-jail-free" card which precludes them from doing time in Sun Belt prison in the FBS.

Is JMU relocating to a 1.6M metro area?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Bass remains hopeful that, via expansion, the conference can address geographic concerns to reduce travel costs and class absences, while also bolstering its men's basketball portfolio.

How does Albany and Elon do this? It makes me think that Mercer is a more real option than people think.

Apphole
May 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM

What media market is there to compel CUSA to invite them? JMU has just as much chance to get a CUSA as App did. They are very similar institutions.

tribe_pride
May 21st, 2013, 09:33 AM
I agree. There is no way Mercer gets into the CAA, there hasn't even been a single rumor of CAA interest until Sitting Bull mentioned them in this thread. Everything before has been about them going to the SoCon.

That's not true. I think most seem to think the better fit is Southern but the rumors with Mercer being talked to by the CAA came out earlier this month

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2013/05/05/conference-realignment-socon-style-some-actual-news-mercer-etsu-and-vmi-and-a-little-speculation/

The Cats
May 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Regardless of where Mercer goes, they'll be a whipping boy in football for a few years..

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xbopx xbopx xbopx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
Fixed it for you. :D Safe to say NJIT is, um, a last-case scenario.

True, but the AE might be facing worst-case scenario if Albany and another team bolt. Once some AQs are in jeopardy, then all bets are off.

Bryant and CCSU are certainly more popular and credible picks for the AE, but if they can't get a stable home for football it may be difficult for them to make that move. Almost anyone in the NEC would be a better pick than NJIT.

superman7515
That's not true. I think most seem to think the better fit is Southern but the rumors with Mercer being talked to by the CAA came out earlier this month

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2013/05/05/conference-realignment-socon-style-some-actual-news-mercer-etsu-and-vmi-and-a-little-speculation/

Thank goodness that article was full of qualifiers like
It has been suggested (but not confirmed) and
If it is true (and I am not sure it is)

For a moment I was afraid there was something concrete like a conference taking visits to a school.

thirdgendin
May 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM

Although he's a great writer and very knowledgable, do you realize that the author of that is a poster on this board and not a newspaper writer? I don't think this can be cited as proof of Mercer talking with the CAA at all.

tribe_pride
May 21st, 2013, 10:32 AM
Thank goodness that article was full of qualifiers like and

For a moment I was afraid there was something concrete like a conference taking visits to a school.

Although he's a great writer and very knowledgable, do you realize that the author of that is a poster on this board and not a newspaper writer? I don't think this can be cited as proof of Mercer talking with the CAA at all.

Note that I was replying to Superman who said "there hasn't even been a single rumor of CAA interest" until Sitting Bull. I was just saying that the rumors were out there. Nothing more, nothing less. Never said that anything was true. But there were rumors out there.

Sandlapper Spike
May 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM

First, thanks for the comments.

Second, I can confirm with emphasis that it isn't proof Mercer has been in talks with the CAA. Actually, I tend to doubt it.

I believe Mercer is headed to the SoCon, and that the announcement will be made at the end of May.

---

Also, I can't speak for Wofford alums/fans, but any Wofford-to-the-CAA scenario strikes me as beyond ludicrous. Wofford isn't joining that league unless Maine, New Hampshire, Villanova, Drexel, Northeastern, and Hofstra all agree to move their home games against the Terriers to a neutral location, like Greenville or Asheville.

I think the same is largely true for Furman as well.

cmaxwellgsu
May 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM

Considering the Sun Belt teams that left for CUSA, I think the Sun Belt is going to pass them in 5 years. Meanwhile, LeHigh will probably still be whining about being unable to get an at-large bid in their do nothing league....

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
Note that I was replying to Superman who said "there hasn't even been a single rumor of CAA interest" until Sitting Bull. I was just saying that the rumors were out there. Nothing more, nothing less. Never said that anything was true. But there were rumors out there.

Again, in the original article,

Bass remains hopeful that, via expansion, the conference can address geographic concerns to reduce travel costs and class absences, while also bolstering its men's basketball portfolio.

How, exactly, does Elon and Albany do this? Albany has OK hoops, with a few tournament appearances and a near 16-vs-1 upset of UConn. Elon's hoops are terrible.

But Mercer would "bolster the men's basketball profile" a lot more than either school. Not saying they're a team the CAA is looking at, or there's been "official visits", or anything, but if "bolstering it's men's basketball profile" is a priority, wouldn't they be in the running? Also, what other good mid-major hoops schools are left?

cmaxwellgsu
May 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM

Second, I can confirm with emphasis that it isn't proof Mercer has been in talks with the CAA. Actually, I tend to doubt it.

I believe Mercer is headed to the SoCon, and that the announcement will be made at the end of May.

---

Also, I can't speak for Wofford alums/fans, but any Wofford-to-the-CAA scenario strikes me as beyond ludicrous. Wofford isn't joining that league unless Maine, New Hampshire, Villanova, Drexel, Northeastern, and Hofstra all agree to move their home games against the Terriers to a neutral location, like Greenville or Asheville.

The Furman one would be beyond ludicrous, since they been in the SoCon for 75 years. Wofford is close. They'll still be in a top 3 FCS league with more like minded institutions.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Considering the Sun Belt teams that left for CUSA, I think the Sun Belt is going to pass them in 5 years...

Good luck with that.

walliver
May 21st, 2013, 10:47 AM

---

Both of our OOC FCS games are schools within 45 miles of campus.

Unfortunately, I suspect our administration would choose the Big South over the CAA. :(

It would be unlikely we would ever move unless Furman and Citadel leave.

Dane96
May 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
How does Albany and Elon do this? It makes me think that Mercer is a more real option than people think.

You mean with 3 NCAA trips in the last 7 years....and arguably the best class coming into the AE with 2 BCS transfers.

Not to mention a 5,000 seat Arena that will most DEFINITELY be upgraded if we move into the CAA (that's not a supposition, it is a fact). Or the 15,000 seat arena downtown that has asked for us to play big games there. Or the rivalry with Siena that brings a nice little cache to the program.

Sigh....

henfan
May 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM
The Furman one would be beyond ludicrous, since they been in the SoCon for 75 years. Wofford is close. They'll still be in a top 3 FCS league with more like minded institutions.

You do realize that both Furman and Wofford were just about headed to the CAA circa May 2000, when Richmond's sudden departure torpedoed the plan? (Do a Richmond Times Dispatch archive search for an article on this very topic.)

I'm not suggesting that either are targets of the CAA now or that either would be interested but it's far from a ludicrous idea.

cmaxwellgsu
May 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM
You do realize that both Furman and Wofford were headed to the CAA circa May 2000, prior to Richmond's departure? (Do a Richmond Times Dispatch archive search for an article on this very topic.)

I'm not suggesting that either are targets of the CAA now or that either would be interested but it's far from a ludicrous idea.

That I didn't realize that. Thanks for making me aware of that. However, my comments are more based on this current round of conference shifts. The three SC schools are pretty consolidated together to determine the make up of the SoCon, and with the league still prominent in the FCS I don't see any way they would give that up.

Apphole
May 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Good luck with that.

You're saying good luck since the SBC passed CUSA this past year, right?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
You're saying good luck since the SBC passed CUSA this past year, right?

xlolx

ASUMountaineer
May 21st, 2013, 11:45 AM

Wow, you just can't get over it, eh? xawesomex

It's amazing how things look with a different perspective. For example, many App fans considered the SoCon a prison. Yet, I'm sure you view the SoCon as a much better option for App State, even with your general lack of knowledge about App State. Of course, as I've said before, I'm sure you were right and App State's Chancellor, AD, and BOT were all wrong. If only they would have consulted you first! xrolleyesx

hapapp
May 21st, 2013, 11:47 AM
xlolx

One certainly can't speak for the future but in 2012 the SBC was higher rated than CUSA and won the majority of head to head meetings.

ASUMountaineer
May 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
One certainly can't speak for the future but in 2012 the SBC was higher rated than CUSA and won the majority of head to head meetings.

That's irrelevant to LFN.

For some reason, he gets off bashing App's move to the Sun Belt. I don't get it, with him being a Lehigh grad and all, but that's apparently his shtick. I've never given any thought to Lehigh except when they beat Duke and recently LFN's trolling--but, mainly just to ask him if he even follows Lehigh sports because he rarely posts about Lehigh.

cmaxwellgsu
May 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
That's irrelevant to LFN.

For some reason, he gets off bashing App's move to the Sun Belt. I don't get it, with him being a Lehigh grad and all, but that's apparently his shtick. I've never given any thought to Lehigh except when they beat Duke and recently LFN's trolling--but, mainly just to ask him if he even follows Lehigh sports because he rarely posts about Lehigh.

Well in his defense, there's nothing to post about his own school....

Sitting Bull

Actually, it wasn't the first time I heard this. It was however mentioned by another poster/another board yesterday by a person well known to be close to the W&M Athletic Dept. In the discussion is the point apparently.

I tend to think it would be a longshot as they seem to be a good fit for the So Con - though what is in play is an obvious desire to add a few teams to the southern flank. As I said earlier, it would depend on how high Mercer would want to jump.

As far as JMU, they have had bags packed for months. There's no surprise there to anyone in the CAA or those considering. They just seem to be stuck waiting on the platform for the train to pull in.

Apphole
xlolx

LOL emoticrons are always a great response when you know a simple google search would reveal the 2012 FBS football conference hierarchy.

I appreciate you leaving the actual dialogue to the adults.

The Cats
May 21st, 2013, 12:07 PM
many App fans considered the SoCon a prison.

We're all glad you broke out then.

The rest of us never realized ASU was being held against their will all these years, while winning three NCs and all those conference championships.

Good Luck with your new found freedom.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM

The rest of us never realized ASU was being held against their will all these years, while winning three NCs and all those conference championships.

I wouldn't be so soon to congratulate. They appear to have premature Stockholm Syndrome. xlolx

Apphole
May 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks!

We're really excited.

ASUMountaineer
May 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Taking everything personally again, I see. You're still playing the perpetual victim, I figured it would have gotten old by now. xsmhx

ASUMountaineer
May 21st, 2013, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't be so soon to congratulate. They appear to have premature Stockholm Syndrome. xlolx

Welcome back, troll. xthumbsupx

The Cats
May 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Taking everything personally again, I see. You're still playing the perpetual victim, I figured it would have gotten old by now. xsmhx

Believe what ever floats your boat.

You made the statement, I only responded to a stupid statement. It had nothing to do with me or WCU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Rhodes Stadium w/ their addition of the Football/ Training Facility is a jewel. The 3 million Softball Park adds tailgate parking right across the street from the Stadium. As a Football Alum I really have no clue as to our move. I believe We have been an asset to the SoCon and it has been a great fit for us. It is a great league but recent defections in this landscape make it intriguing to move to the CAA. I know one thing Elon will still be asking for money...forever.

...And your Alumni Office will now have a good reason to host tailgates and shake hands and kiss babies with Alumni in Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York areas on Saturdays each fall.

As a fan and alumnus of a CAA Football School, I love this move for 3 reasons:

1- There is no longer a question of the premiere FCS Football conference east of the Mississippi (at least in the minds of the SoCon Member schools - the rest of us already knew).
2- We're getting close to conference stability again.
3- Even if James Madison and Delaware up and leave the CAA for FBS football, our ticket office can easily sell a ticket package that includes games against William and Mary, Elon, Towson, Villanova and some of the Northeastern schools.

And I'm not convinced Delaware and JMU are going anywhere. Particularly Delaware.

SU_IT_able
May 21st, 2013, 04:23 PM
...As a fan and alumnus of a CAA Football School, I love this move for 3 reasons:

1- There is no longer a question of the premiere FCS Football conference east of the Mississippi (at least in the minds of the SoCon Member schools - the rest of us already knew). ...

Really? REALLY? You have apparently wooed the 8th place SoCon football team and this tips (or solidifies) the balance of power in the CAA's favor?

Thank heavens you didn't also nab Western Carolina. xthumbsdownx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM
Really? REALLY? You have apparently wooed the 8th place SoCon football team and this tips (or solidifies) the balance of power in the CAA's favor?

Elon went through transition when Lembo left but has the facilities and infrastructure to compete for CAA championships like they competed in the SoCon for several seasons in the latter part of last decade.

I think most everyone - and particularly a Richmond fan - can appreciate the negative impact that a coaching change can have on a program in the near term.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
PS-

The argument - if there was one - between the CAA and SoCon, was settled when ASU and GSU left for the Slum Belch. So you're right, i guess.

rokamortis
May 21st, 2013, 04:32 PM

Did you forget about the SoCon losing App State and Ga Southern. You lost the best programs.

phoenix3
May 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM

Look who's talking just two years out of suckdom. Funny.

ThompsonThe
May 22nd, 2013, 02:57 AM
You should have said you wanted Felon, could have made it a mutual conference agreement. With the moves the CAA is making, sounds as if it will be
oob within 2 to 3 years. Betting the SoCon is still stronger than the CAA.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Believe what ever floats your boat.

You made the statement, I only responded to a stupid statement. It had nothing to do with me or WCU.

You calling something stupid is hilarious. Only you would get offended by such a statement. Keep looking bud, one day you'll find a clue. xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
PS-

The argument - if there was one - between the CAA and SoCon, was settled when ASU and GSU left for the Slum Belch. So you're right, i guess.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself trying to come up with an original thought. xthumbsupx

The Cats
May 22nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
I hope you didn't hurt yourself trying to come up with an original thought. xthumbsupx

My God, you must have a hard, lonely life. All you do is go from board to board putting down posters. I guess it makes you feel better about that so-called life you're stuck with. All you can do, is attack people you perceive to be against ASU.

Well, you've got an entirely new conference, and entirely new group of posters to try to piss off in the Sun Belt. Enjoy.

cmaxwellgsu
May 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
PS-

We'll enjoy our new home. Enjoy yours in the Crappy Ass Assocation!!

Apphole
May 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
It's mind boggling how someone can insult an FBS conference from an FCS perspective. It's like an SEC fan talking down to the NFC South.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
My God, you must have a hard, lonely life. All you do is go from board to board putting down posters. I guess it makes you feel better about that so-called life you're stuck with. All you can do, it attack people you perceive to be against ASU.

Well, you've got an entirely new conference, and entirely new group of posters to try to piss off in the Sun Belt. Enjoy.

xlolx Oh, I see. Well, I will paraphrase you. BHCE made the statement, I only responded to a stupid statement. Sound familiar?

I wish you luck in being perpetually offended...I'm rooting for you Cats!

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
It's mind boggling how someone can insult an FBS conference from an FCS perspective. It's like an SEC fan talking down to the NFC South.

That doesn't bother me because conference membership benefits are different for each school.

What's mind-boggling to me is how, in this thread for example, one can use the term "Slum Belch," and it be considered an accurate description and not an "insult" or criticism. But, if you say that many fans considered the SoCon "a prison," (in response to another poster calling the Sun Belt a "prison") then it's a "stupid statement" and all you do is try to insult posters. xlolx The mental execise in futility must be exhausting. What's good for the goose is clearly not good for the gander.

The Cats
May 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
That doesn't bother me because conference membership benefits are different for each school.

What's mind-boggling to me is how, in this thread for example, one can use the term "Slum Belch," and it be considered an accurate description and not an "insult" or criticism. But, if you say that many fans considered the SoCon "a prison," (in response to another poster calling the Sun Belt a "prison") then it's a "stupid statement" and all you do is try to insult posters. xlolx The mental execise in futility must be exhausting. What's good for the goose is clearly not good for the gander.

Your effort to associate me with the term "Slum Belch" won't work. I never said it, I only called the Sun Belt, "Sun Belt".

As I said before, I only wish ASU well in their new conference.

As to many of the ASU fans however, that's another story. Their sad, lonely life, where they only get satisfaction out of the success of ASU athletics, like they accomplished the feat, then come to a message board to "beat their chest" and put down others, is indeed sad.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM

Not a fair comparison. The NFC South has actually won something meaningful in it's history. The Tampa Bay Bucs won the Super Bowl in the early part of last decade and the Saints did it a couple years ago.

Plus, the NFC South is on National Television and member franchises get tons of TV Revenue Share. The Sun Belt member schools get between $60k-70k per school.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Your effort to associate me with the term "Slum Belch" won't work. I never said it, I only called the Sun Belt, "Sun Belt".

As I said before, I only wish ASU well in their new conference.

As to many of the ASU fans however, that's another story. Their sad, lonely life, where they only get satisfaction out of the success of ASU athletics, like they accomplished the feat, then come to a message board to "beat their chest" and put down others, is indeed sad.

I didn't say you said "Slum Belch," take it easy Cats and try reading the post again. There's no need to take anonymous message board posting so seriously.

As for "putting others down," that seems to be a time-honored AGS tradition. xlolx Keep in mind that you're the one that responded to my posts, not directed to you, with the word "stupid" and statements about my "hard, lonely life." I have only responded to your posts directed to me.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Not a fair comparison. The NFC South has actually won something meaningful in it's history. The Tampa Bay Bucs won the Super Bowl in the early part of last decade and the Saints did it a couple years ago.

Plus, the NFC South is on National Television and member franchises get tons of TV Revenue Share. The Sun Belt member schools get between $60k-70k per school.

So?

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 22nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
So?

So it's a pathetic number that doesn't come close to offsetting the increased costs of joining such a pathetic league.

But the thread is about Elon.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure yours is really a good comparison either.

Depending upon the school and the reasoning, an FCS school insulting an FBS conference would be much different. The inherent differences between FCS and certain FBS conference, again depending on the specifics, aren't nearly as clear cut than the differences between the NFC South and the SEC. In some cases it would be more like an engineer who makes a reasonable middle class income that chooses to drive a Toyota Camry, shaking their head at a K-Mart employee walking into an Audi dealership and buying a high mileage pre-owned vehicle that they can barely afford to swing the payments on.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
I'll add a hearty welcome to Elon and Albany to the CAA. Both have well rounded athletic departments, good athletics, and should be very nice fits for the league.

NHwildEcat
May 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
I'll add a hearty welcome to Elon and Albany to the CAA. Both have well rounded athletic departments, good athletics, and should be very nice fits for the league.

...and in the woods of New Hampshire, Wild E. Cat sits alone wondering why he made such good friends with the Black Bears...

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
...and in the woods of New Hampshire, Wild E. Cat sits alone wondering why he made such good friends with the Black Bears...

I think you and I both know that if either of those two schools made a phone call tomorrow and told Yeager that they wanted to join the CAA, they've probably be fast tracked. I was under the impression that both had decided the CAA wasn't right for them.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
So it's a pathetic number that doesn't come close to offsetting the increased costs of joining such a pathetic league.

But the thread is about Elon.

Yet, you brought up the "Slum Belch." If it's such a "pathetic league," why are you so interested in the Sun Belt and which schools join it? Have you checked out what each SoCon school gets from it's media package?

NHwildEcat
May 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM
I think you and I both know that if either of those two schools made a phone call tomorrow and told Yeager that they wanted to join the CAA, they've probably be fast tracked. I was under the impression that both had decided the CAA wasn't right for them.

They may have, but I have differing feelings on the matter. I think Maine may be more resistent (just an assumption) than UNH, but they don't want to leave each other. The UNH/Maine battles in all sports are cherished.

NHwildEcat
May 22nd, 2013, 01:04 PM
They may have, but I have differing feelings on the matter. I think Maine may be more resistent (just an assumption) than UNH, but they don't want to leave each other. The UNH/Maine battles in all sports are cherished.

UNH may be fine in the AE, but I think they can do better.

Then again I am in favor of dropping bball for lacrosse or baseball to return.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
Yet, you brought up the "Slum Belch." If it's such a "pathetic league," why are you so interested in the Sun Belt and which schools join it? Have you checked out what each SoCon school gets from it's media package?

I too think 'pathetic league' is too strong a phrase. I would have used something like 'ill conceived', or 'mouth breathing'.

superman7515
May 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM

Nice fits? I thought they were getting invited for a completely different reason. Well, you can scratch ysubigred, ursus, and myself from the welcome party.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
I too think 'pathetic league' is too strong a phrase. I would have used something like 'ill conceived', or 'mouth breathing'.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to State Line Liquors again.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Nice fits? I thought they were getting invited for a completely different reason. Well, you can scratch ysubigred, ursus, and myself from the welcome party.

You got any better ideas Jethro! Spin baby, spin! xrotatehx xnodx

superman7515
May 22nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Haha. Should have bolded the fits part. We just have a certain type in mind and misheard what was at the party.

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM

Why are you talking about the SoCon? xthumbsupx

Apphole
May 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
doesn't come close to offsetting the increased costs of joining such a pathetic league.

False.

And to go out fo your way and needlessly call it a pathetic league (in an unrelated topic) when the Belt is leaps and bounds ahead of the CAA (and any other FCS league) in almost every way (Football, baseball, revenue, TV deal, exposure, national perception, ect) makes you seem a little jelly.

You have a tiny penis, don't you?

ElonFirefighter
May 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Looking forward to some great games as well as more northern exposure.

Saint3333
May 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Would the CAA take App if they said they would stay FCS, yep.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
I would consider App for the CAA, but probably only as a football affiliate and travel partner for Louisiana Monroe.

Apphole
May 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Would the CAA take App if they said they would stay FCS, yep.

After they **** themselves when they realized we were interested, yes.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 22nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
I would consider App for the CAA, but probably only as a football affiliate and travel partner for Louisiana Monroe.

If the Yeager could flaunt Appy State to ULM Administrators as a means of getting the coveted Monroe TV market in the CAA fold, then I agree.

State Line Liquors
May 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Looks like App waited too long to take the CAA up on the opportunity:

BREAKING- CAA associate commissioner Charl Denson announced today that while there had been and would continue to be ongoing discussions about national conference realignment, that the CAA would only be adding Elon and Stony Brook at this time. The CAA feels that with these recent additions that they have fortified the league, and that they will be stronger moving forward.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
CAA associate commissioner Charl Denson

Did you know that Charl Denson is related to Karl Benson? Karl swam in the shallow end of the gene pool, hence his lower career trajectory than cousin Charl.

Apphole
May 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM
Did you know that Charl Denson is related to Karl Benson? Karl swam in the shallow end of the gene pool, hence his lower career trajectory than cousin Charl.

I'd like to see them compare W-2s.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see them compare W-2s.

The trouble is - which one of Karl's to use? The MAC? The WAC? The Sun Belt? xlolx

ASUMountaineer
May 22nd, 2013, 03:49 PM
The trouble is - which one of Karl's to use? The MAC? The WAC? The Sun Belt? xlolx

I'd like to be pulling W-2s from all three of those conferences. I bet the salaries would be a nice bump in pay.

Apphole
May 22nd, 2013, 03:50 PM

I'm sure all would dwarf any CAA official's salary...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM
You might want to consider something: non-W-2 compensation. For example, did he take the desk chairs and wall paintings from the WAC office when he left? Did he leave with any suitcases filled with cash? Fake IDs? Wigs? Beards? Ray-Bans?

Saint3333
May 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Looks like App waited too long to take the CAA up on the opportunity:

BREAKING- CAA associate commissioner Charl Denson announced today that while there had been and would continue to be ongoing discussions about national conference realignment, that the CAA would only be adding Elon and Stony Brook at this time. The CAA feels that with these recent additions that they have fortified the league, and that they will be stronger moving forward.

App had that opportunity but took a different one.

The CAA has certainly kicked the crap out of the SoCon when comparing additions. How long does JMU stay, looks like you guys get them for one more year. I guess Furman gets the call next offseason.