PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth Class of 2017

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM
The 32 man list also includes six walk-ons. How are walk-ons defnined in the Ivy?

http://www.dartmouthsports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=207671961

Franks Tanks
May 17th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The 32 man list also includes six walk-ons. How are walk-ons defnined in the Ivy?

http://www.dartmouthsports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=207671961

My guess is that they weren't recruited by the staff, but gained admission on their own. The Ivy's report their recruits to admissions (obviously), and I assume the walk on's did not have have the backing of the FB staff during the admissions process.

Go Green
May 17th, 2013, 12:50 PM
My guess is that they weren't recruited by the staff, but gained admission on their own. The Ivy's report their recruits to admissions (obviously), and I assume the walk on's did not have have the backing of the FB staff during the admissions process.

That's pretty much it. They weren't designated as "recruits" to the admissions department by the football staff. But the football staff knows that they want to come out for the team. So the football team will have helmets, uniforms, locker space, etc. for those guys.

Most walk-ons end up on the scout team and/or drop out after a year or two. Once in a while, a walk-on will end up becoming a starter, and even an All-Ivy player (admittedly, very rare).

This is the first time I can recall Dartmouth officially designatating players as walk-ons. In the past, they've listed everyone on one list, although it wasn't particularly hard to guess which guys were walk-ons (i.e., "chose Dartmouth over several FBS scholarship offers" vs. "chose Dartmouth over Swarthmore").

bonarae
May 17th, 2013, 05:10 PM

Yes, this is the true definition.