PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Stadium Update

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Not really sure what my impressions were before it started, but this is shaping up to be an impressive facility. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Nfuu8PedNBM)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Not really sure what my impressions were before it started, but this is shaping up to be an impressive facility. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Nfuu8PedNBM)

When we were there last year I thought it was a very nice place. It had the old bleacher feel and so forth but I don't act like that is a bad thing. It was a good college facility and it looked like a hell of a nice place to watch a game.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Oh and the new work looks like it is going to be great. I would have to flip a coin as to fieldturf or natural grass in that location cuz the grass was so damn nice but we saw it early so not sure how it ends up at the end of the year. Hopefully they are selling the old grass to the fans cuz there are still people around Missoula that will show you a patch of grass that came from WaGriz back in 2000. xlolx

The Eagle's Cliff
May 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Look like the Furples are poised to regain their SoCon Crown. 9 championships in 13 season from 1978-1990 and only two in the 22 seasons since (and those were shared).

MplsBison
May 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM
If you're ever really bored at work one day, head on over to Google maps and check out the bird's eye pictures of Furman's campus in Greenville, SC. I was really impressed at their facilities. They even have a separate, rugby-specific line field just for that sport.

Nice big campus and everything looks really nice. Dare I say only FCS school in the south to have its own on-campus golf course?

Apphole
May 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
If you're ever really bored at work one day, head on over to Google maps and check out the bird's eye pictures of Furman's campus in Greenville, SC. I was really impressed at their facilities. They even have a separate, rugby-specific line field just for that sport.

Nice big campus and everything looks really nice. Dare I say only FCS school in the south to have its own on-campus golf course?

They have a gorgeous campus. It reminds me of Wake, but better.

Best part: the visiting tailgate lot is like 50' from the stadium. Easiest drunken stammer you'll ever take.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Look like the Furples are poised to regain their SoCon Crown. 9 championships in 13 season from 1978-1990 and only two in the 22 seasons since (and those were shared).

Incorrect. Furman won SoCon titles in 1999, 2001, 2004. You could make a compelling argument they were the best team in the country in 2004 and 2005. Furman didn't share the title in 2005 because Jayson Foster managed to heave a prayer that somehow found an Eagle receiver blanketed by 2 Furman DBs on a third and half mile. :)

It is no slap to say the title was shared. I mean, as good as GSU has been, they have only 3 outright titles since 2000, and only 1 in the past 10 years. It's not an easy conference to run the table in.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2013, 12:49 PM

I have spent a monumental amount of time on Furman's campus, and have never stepped a toe on the golf course. I don't even know who plays it.

IBleedYellow
May 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Looks like it's shaping up to be even better for you guy!!

PS: Ready to win the SoCon and come up to Fargo? :D

rokamortis
May 17th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Dare I say only FCS school in the south to have its own on-campus golf course?

You can dare to say it, but you'd be wrong.

SpeedkingATL
May 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Furman is one of many really nice campuses in the SoCon. That is a pretty nice golf course and very affordable at around $45 a round. I expect a real battle the next couple of years between Furman, Wofford, Citdogs and Sammy for the SoCon titles. App and GaSo will enjoy spoiler status this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2013, 01:46 PM

There are several cool fountains and ponds on campus like you'd see rarely in other places and the amount of room there is pretty stunning considering the enrollment and it's just beautifully groomed. When you come out the bookstore and another building they are lined up about 20yds from a pond edge with birds and all the other normal pond life there. It's a really great campus. It was well worth the trip as was Wofford.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
There are several cool fountains and ponds on campus like you'd see rarely in other places and the amount of room there is pretty stunning considering the enrollment and it's just beautifully groomed. When you come out the bookstore and another building they are lined up about 20yds from a pond edge with birds and all the other normal pond life there. It's a really great campus. It was well worth the trip as was Wofford.

There are pictures floating around somewhere of the campus when it was just a cow pasture. You really wouldn't believe it but for the distinctive shape of Paris Mountain in the distance confirming it is a picture of what is now the present day campus. That entire campus was started from a complete blank slate. Kind of a testament to what a little vision and landscape knowhow will do for a place.

IBleedYellow
May 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM
You can dare to say it, but you'd be wrong.

Like that would EVER stop him from posting anyway.

Nexus 4

CID1990
May 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Furman is one of many really nice campuses in the SoCon. That is a pretty nice golf course and very affordable at around $45 a round. I expect a real battle the next couple of years between Furman, Wofford, Citdogs and Sammy for the SoCon titles. App and GaSo will enjoy spoiler status this year.

I see you are using live bait as opposed to the artificial bait as you troll for Chattownmocs.

CID1990
May 17th, 2013, 05:20 PM
There are pictures floating around somewhere of the campus when it was just a cow pasture. You really wouldn't believe it but for the distinctive shape of Paris Mountain in the distance confirming it is a picture of what is now the present day campus. That entire campus was started from a complete blank slate. Kind of a testament to what a little vision and landscape knowhow will do for a place.

There is also a once easily accessible horse stable around there, too.

appsfan
May 17th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Will the new addition be completed before the season starts?

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Will the new addition be completed before the season starts?

It is not expected that everything will be ready by the start, but it is expected that everything will be in place for the first home game. Furman plays its first two games on the road, and then entertains PC in week 3.

eaglewraith
May 17th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Furman didn't share the title in 2005 because Jayson Foster managed to heave a prayer that somehow found an Eagle receiver blanketed by 2 Furman DBs on a third and half mile. :)

Actually that was Chris Dickerson doing what a good WR does and come back to make the play. Blame your DB's for not executing ;)

I'm still pissed about that "fumble" in the endzone.

eaglewraith
May 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Best part: the visiting tailgate lot is like 50' from the stadium. Easiest drunken stammer you'll ever take.

Best visiting experience ever. Parking is free with beautiful scenery. I've accidentally been routed into the Furman parking area twice on games up there....I felt like a fish out of water dodging the wine and cheese crowd.

Gonna miss the trips up there, I haven't missed a Furman game since 2001 when I started at Georgia Southern.

Southern Bison
May 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM

There is also a once easily accessible horse stable around there, too.

I've heard that's where Apphole finally lost his virginity to a dark-haired filly...

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I've heard that's where Apphole finally lost his virginity to a dark-haired filly...

It wasn't a filly and it was actually in Seattle.

rokamortis
May 18th, 2013, 05:28 AM
It wasn't a filly and it was actually in Seattle.

A stallion. Good for him.

Apphole
May 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I've heard that's where Apphole finally lost his virginity to a dark-haired Philly...

Her hair was light brown, but yeah.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CBPqzDoAvN8/TUIyOrtnsMI/AAAAAAAAAAM/Jq2lCl2uRW0/s1600/philies-fan.jpg

PaladinFan
May 18th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Best visiting experience ever. Parking is free with beautiful scenery. I've accidentally been routed into the Furman parking area twice on games up there....I felt like a fish out of water dodging the wine and cheese crowd.

Gonna miss the trips up there, I haven't missed a Furman game since 2001 when I started at Georgia Southern.

Probably was good for you.

It's been a fun series. There aren't many teams in college football that are rivals and have played one another for a national title (LSU/Alabama is one).

The 2004 game was among the best college football games I've ever seen.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Probably was good for you.

It's been a fun series. There aren't many teams in college football that are rivals and have played one another for a national title (LSU/Alabama is one).

The 2004 game was among the best college football games I've ever seen.

Interesting state.

I suppose it's possible that NDSU and UNI or UND could conceivably make it into the NC game. Or South Dakota for that matter, which NDSU actually has played against for the DII national championship.

PaladinFan
May 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Interesting state.

I suppose it's possible that NDSU and UNI or UND could conceivably make it into the NC game. Or South Dakota for that matter, which NDSU actually has played against for the DII national championship.

Yeah, but Furman and GSU have done it twice :)

Southern Bison
May 19th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Her hair was light brown, but yeah.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CBPqzDoAvN8/TUIyOrtnsMI/AAAAAAAAAAM/Jq2lCl2uRW0/s1600/philies-fan.jpg

You wish...a neigh still means no!

The Cats
May 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Very impressive, I only which WCU has something like that in the works.

It shows a real commitment to football.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Video of field demolition and installation of the field turf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-NabrAyrE&feature=youtu.be&a)

You can see the new pressbox in the background. Even I had to do a double take trying to remember what the old one looked like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FurmanPaladinStadium3.jpg). Probably double the size of the old one.

walliver
June 13th, 2013, 04:05 PM
There's no excuse to use artificial turf in the south (unless you're high in the mountains). FU has gone even further to the Dark Side.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM
There's no excuse to use artificial turf in the south (unless you're high in the mountains). FU has gone even further to the Dark Side.

No reason, except that it's better than grass.

At this point, it's more or less about perception. To keep the perception of your program as "keeping up with the Jones's" your stadium needs a premium performance surface. Grass ain't it.

kdinva
June 13th, 2013, 05:33 PM
about 20 years ago, a VMI asst. coach told me Furman's playing surface was the best he's seen in a while......better than W&M, Citadel, GSU.......

ThompsonThe
June 13th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Furman had a good stadium. Now they will have an even better one.
Always an enjoyable visit. Hard to explain, but liked the way it was spread out.
SoCon better watch out or Furman will rule the roost for a number of years.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2013, 08:45 PM

The rationale behind the field turf, I think, is the lacrosse program. Paladin stadium will be used for football in the fall, and lacrosse in the spring. I think the wear and tear on grass would be too great for year round use.

CID1990
June 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM
What the hell are the cheerleaders going to eat now that there won't be natural grass?

Sent from the center of the universe.

ASU_Fanatic
June 14th, 2013, 12:15 AM
saw 1 game there in 2005 i know the temp was 115 easy

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM

I don't understand why every school doesn't go to an artificial surface. Considering the water issues of today and the fact there is virtually zero maintenance involved it appears to be a no-brainer. It is a superior surface in bad weather and numerous studies have shown fewer leg & knee injuries occur on artificial turf. Not to menmtion you can do so many cool things with designs and colors and still have a nice green field long after Bermuda has browned out.

parr90
June 15th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Kind of reminds me of Troys press box facility. They built a press box behind their home side like this one that has weight room, offices ect. Very nice box. Took a tour of it a couple years ago with our former assistant AD who was then Troys assistant AD. He was showing us how Troy made the transition from FCS to FBS.

parr90
June 15th, 2013, 07:58 AM
The rationale behind the field turf, I think, is the lacrosse program. Paladin stadium will be used for football in the fall, and lacrosse in the spring. I think the wear and tear on grass would be too great for year round use.

I own a Landscape Co and manage golf courses for a living so I know a little about Turfgrass. Your right about the wear but to be blunt Lacrosse should never be able to use the football stadium in a college situation as big as Furmans. They should have their own.

walliver
June 15th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I don't understand why every school doesn't go to an artificial surface. Considering the water issues of today and the fact there is virtually zero maintenance involved it appears to be a no-brainer. It is a superior surface in bad weather and numerous studies have shown fewer leg & knee injuries occur on artificial turf. Not to menmtion you can do so many cool things with designs and colors and still have a nice green field long after Bermuda has browned out.

Most of the studies to which you indirectly refer were sponsored by the manufacturer. Most independent studies demonstrate a higher rate of injury on turf.

For the most part, the SEC and southern ACC teams play on grass. If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

Dinman31
June 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
What the hell are the cheerleaders going to eat now that there won't be natural grass?

You guys only come to Greenville once every other year so it shouldn't be a big issue!:)

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I own a Landscape Co and manage golf courses for a living so I know a little about Turfgrass. Your right about the wear but to be blunt Lacrosse should never be able to use the football stadium in a college situation as big as Furmans. They should have their own.

I understand a lot of lacrosse programs play in football stadiums, so I'm not worried. The additions to Paladin Stadium are being made, in part, with lacrosse in mind.

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Pretty indepth look at the Paladin Stadium installation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcmG0o7S3ds

CID1990
June 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
You guys only come to Greenville once every other year so it shouldn't be a big issue!:)

Ours are corn fed anyway.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 16th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Most of the studies to which you indirectly refer were sponsored by the manufacturer. Most independent studies demonstrate a higher rate of injury on turf.

For the most part, the SEC and southern ACC teams play on grass. If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

The story most anti-turf people use is a Reuters story from April 2012 with the headline "Football knee injuries likelier on artificial turf than grass". Once you dig deeper into it you find the data used was compiled from 2004 through 2009 seasons from "about 10 percent of schools in the NCAA". There is no indication what level of schools were used, if the fields were properly maintained or what type / generation of turf was used. There are just too many unanswered questions to indicate the latest generation of artificial turf is less safe than grass. Stanford University School of Medicine Dr. Jason Dragoo authored the study's said turf provides a more consistent playing field, and is expected to deliver better performance, but it has not been considered any less safe than grass. He thinks using less resistant shoes on artificial turf will make artificial surfaces more safe.

I realize most SEC & ACC schools use natural surface, but they have the money to employ a full time professional grounds crew. With Furman going to artificial surface and if ETSU does likewise only 3 SoCon teams will play on grass.

grayghost06
June 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
New pressbox & field turf will look nice. It is a bit odd to me though that 3 schools from the old SoCon have such shallow grandstand angles on their lower seating. Appy and Georgia Southern are the same way. Have to hope you don't get a tall family in front of you.

Apphole
June 16th, 2013, 11:37 AM
New pressbox & field turf will look nice. It is a bit odd to me though that 3 schools from the old SoCon have such shallow grandstand angles on their lower seating. Appy and Georgia Southern are the same way. Have to hope you don't get a tall family in front of you.

At App those lower sections are almost all student sections. Students stand on their seats, so it's never really a problem. GaSo's entire stadium is like that though. Hopefully their new upper deck will have a steeper gradient. Paulson was the flattest stadium Iv'e ever seen.

AppMan
June 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM

Lower portions were built in the 60's when the school had about 4000 students. It was basically a high school stadium. I really dislike what has been done to Conrad / Kidd Brewed Stadium over the years. It is a mismatched, hodgepodge, patchwork facility. It doesn't appear any of the architects who designed later portions bothered to look at the existing facility.

The common idea of adding seats to KBS and get them closer to the field is digging out the track. IMO, there is a far more cost effective and better way. It would require tearing down the upper portion of the west (pressbox) stands and coming off the athletics center with seating that matches the angle of the upper level of the east stands. Extending down over the old lower section and filling the old seating with gravel or concrete as part of the concourse. Coming off the walk way of the upper section on the east side with the same angle and again covering the exiting lower stands. This would carry seating to about half way out on the track. The end zones could be filled in and connected to the sides at the same angles that finally make KBS a symmetrical facility. You get more seats with better sight lines and don't have to

ButlerGSU
June 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM

Stadium looks great.

Production needs to invest in a lapel mic.

pike51
June 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I understand a lot of lacrosse programs play in football stadiums, so I'm not worried. The additions to Paladin Stadium are being made, in part, with lacrosse in mind.

When is Furman adding LAX? That's really cool. I think LAX is a sport that should be pushed more at the high school level (especially in Georgia). We have no programs in south GA that I an aware of and I think kids would really take to it as a fun sport. I mean seriously, where else do you get to hit people with a stick and NOT get in trouble!?!?!?

kdinva
June 17th, 2013, 12:34 PM
When is Furman adding LAX?

Furman "added" Men's Lax about one year ago......they start playing this February. They will be part of the Atlantic-Sun Conf. for men's lacrosse, with VMI, High Point, Richmond, Mercer, Jacksonville U.....

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-lacros/2011-12/releases/20130211r7aqmn

PaladinFan
June 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Furman really dove headlong into the Men's LAX. Spent a lot of money starting up the program and even went out and hired a "name" coach in lacrosse circles (Richie Meade - former coach at Navy who has won national coach of the year and taken his team to a national championship game).

The lacrosse move is not haphazard. Furman has continued to try to push its footprint outside of the deep south, and lacrosse is a sport that is highly relevant in the mid atlantic, northeast, and west coast. It just gives them a presence outside of their geography.

I don't know why lacrosse has never really caught on in the deep south at the youth level. I always chalked the question up to the popularity of baseball, which would probably be a spring sport athlete's primary competition.

PaladinFan
June 17th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Furman "added" Men's Lax about one year ago......they start playing this February. They will be part of the Atlantic-Sun Conf. for men's lacrosse, with VMI, High Point, Richmond, Mercer, Jacksonville U.....

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-lacros/2011-12/releases/20130211r7aqmn

One interesting question is whether those A-Sun lacrosse schools move to the SoCon. Right now, the SoCon does not sponsor lacrosse, but over the next few seasons VMI, Furman, and Mercer will all be in the SoCon, and the only ASun team will be Jacksonville.

PaladinFan
June 22nd, 2013, 07:27 AM
Gettin' there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMSXsmzrGCo

PaladinNation
June 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
The stadium enhancements appear to be helping the program… already two nice commits for 2013-2014.

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM
The stadium enhancements appear to be helping the program… already two nice commits for 2013-2014.

Added a third this week as well.

No scientific reason to back this up, but I think the school that will benefit most from App and GSU's departure will be Furman. They are really the only SoCon program left that been to the Mountain, and stayed there a while. I think with the facilities enhancements, it'll put the Paladins right back to competing for those recruits they used to routinely land.

Sir William
June 24th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Was on campus yesterday and drove by Paladin Stadium. It's going to be very impressive when the enhancements are finished. Can't wait!

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Another video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUkJS16QT0&feature=youtu.be&a)

laying the base for the new turf. The field house looks great.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0eeJzGbes&feature=youtu.be&a

Most recent update. Encouraging to hear that the field turf will have markers indicating where the lacrosse and football field lines will be. The liens can be removed depending on the season. It is always unsightly to me for a football field to be marked up with a bunch of different athletic lines from different sports. Glad to know that won't be a problem.

The Moody1
July 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
I drove by the other day and it is really shaping up. Looking forward to attending my last game there in Oct. It will be a little strange not going to Furman and Wofford every other year.

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Couple more pics from twitter:

https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/357242596998926336/photo/1

Apps03
July 16th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Couple more pics from twitter:

My first college football games were in Death Valley and Paladin Stadium. These were long before I knew what an App St. was. I have a lot of history with FU and this will be my most missed game, of many, in the SoCon. My grandparents, who took me to those games, and are distinguished fundraisers for the university still look forward to this game every year, mostly because of my attendance at ASU. Like most other FU alum, they are amazing people, and because of that, I am happy to see FU making the necessary changes to making FU a competitive force for years to come in the SoCon and the FCS. I will always pull for the Paladins (of course if they are not playing the Mountaineers).

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbHb2asVwA&feature=player_detailpage

Logos and endzone letterings go in, along with a tour of the facility.

Going to be a top notch park. I've said this before, but despite a few down years in a row, I really think Furman is about to take off again on the national stage.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2013, 06:54 AM
The finished field from the unfinished pressbox (https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/362595847369809920/photo/1).

Beautiful place to catch a game.

pike51
August 2nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
Looks good... for purple. ;)