PDA

View Full Version : FCS vs FBS Records

justintyem
May 16th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Does anybody have the records for FCS teams vs FBS teams??? Cause Im just wondering if NDSU is the straw that broke the FBS vs FCS back..................aka Big 10 Future FCS Ban...........

IBleedYellow
May 16th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Seriously doubt it man, but we are 6-3 since going FCS. But I HARDLY doubt we are the reason they stopped.

justintyem
May 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Seriously doubt it man, but we are 6-3 since going FCS. But I HARDLY doubt we are the reason they stopped.Ya,but we have embarrassed the FBS teams we have beaten.............

gotts
May 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
:facepalm:

HailSzczur
May 16th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I've heard that at many FBS offices it is frowned upon to even say the word "Dakota". I knew a guy that got fired for saying it in the Big XII

justintyem
May 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM
My whole point is........ FBS schools and teams find us inferior. Yet,we regularly Beat them. But now some wont play us anymore, And we feed on the Big Bad FBS. Oh well we will do it again this fall in Manhattan !!!!!!

UNH Fanboi
May 17th, 2013, 12:03 AM
See the following. I cannot vouch for their accuracy.

http://cfbmatrix.com/fcs-vs-fbs/

http://www.footballgeography.com/?p=1174

bojeta
May 17th, 2013, 12:25 AM
See the following. I cannot vouch for their accuracy.

http://cfbmatrix.com/fcs-vs-fbs/

http://www.footballgeography.com/?p=1174

I immediately found a couple of flaws in their figures. For instance, UC Davis beat Stanford, and SAC State beat both Oregon State and Colorado. So that's 3 wins against Pac 10/Pac 12 already. Also, Cal Poly beat San Diego State twice, and Wyoming once in just the past 6 seasons. I can't imagine those are the only wins over the Mountain West... Wait, North Dakota State beat Colorado State last year, so that's 4 just off the top of my head. OK... I just realized the list only includes games through the 2010 season, but the second link has many more wins by FCS teams than the first.

justintyem
May 17th, 2013, 01:29 AM
The whole FBS vs FCS debate is total B.S. I just dont think FBS teams should stop playing FCS teams. Play'em FBS,Play'em......... If you cant beat FCS regularly,Fire their FBS coach. Once in a blue moon,no problem. The FCS team,had their number on a bad day. But to stop playing the LiL Brother, which helps them(LiL Brother) monetary, is BUSH LEAGUE. I was a UW-Badger Fan First,born that way and went to a school in madison. And Im PISSED,that Barry would stop helping the LiL Brothers. Arggggggggggg,I now want NDSU GO BIG or Go Home FBS Style and Kick the Badgers and Barry Alvarez A$$E$ !!!!!! GREEN AND GOLD 4 LIFE

Vitojr130
May 17th, 2013, 01:47 AM
My whole point is........ FBS schools and teams find us inferior. Yet,we regularly Beat them. But now some wont play us anymore, And we feed on the Big Bad FBS. Oh well we will do it again this fall in Manhattan !!!!!!

If by "we" you mean FCS in general, no we do not regularly beat them. The overall record is something like a 9:1 ratio. But, if you mean "we" as in NDSU, then yes, we have regularly beat them and I look forward to see the damage we can and will do in Manhattan.

justintyem
May 17th, 2013, 01:56 AM
If by "we" you mean FCS in general, no we do not regularly beat them. The overall record is something like a 9:1 ratio. But, if you mean "we" as in NDSU, then yes, we have regularly beat them and I look forward to see the damage we can and will do in Manhattan.

The "we" I was speaking about was NDSU.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM
NDSU needs to come quit toying around with those no talents up in the Big10 and join the SoCon in playing the SEC. :)

darell1976
May 17th, 2013, 07:44 AM
The whole FBS vs FCS debate is total B.S. I just dont think FBS teams should stop playing FCS teams. Play'em FBS,Play'em......... If you cant beat FCS regularly,Fire their FBS coach. Once in a blue moon,no problem. The FCS team,had their number on a bad day. But to stop playing the LiL Brother, which helps them(LiL Brother) monetary, is BUSH LEAGUE. I was a UW-Badger Fan First,born that way and went to a school in madison. And Im PISSED,that Barry would stop helping the LiL Brothers. Arggggggggggg,I now want NDSU GO BIG or Go Home FBS Style and Kick the Badgers and Barry Alvarez A$$E$ !!!!!! GREEN AND GOLD 4 LIFE

Forget the Badgers...just kick Barry's ass!!xthumbsupx

Bisonator
May 17th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Not all FBS conferences are scared to play FCS teams. Only the little ten conference!

I'm as big an NDSU fan as anyone, but I doubt any other BCS conference schools are scared of playing us. Yeah, we have beaten 6 piss poor FBS teams, but let's not get a big head over it! I can't wait to watch the NDSU/KState game this fall. Win or lose it's going to be a good one! GO BISON!!!

darell1976
May 17th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Not all FBS conferences are scared to play FCS teams. Only the little ten conference!

I'm as big an NDSU fan as anyone, but I doubt any other BCS conference schools are scared of playing us. Yeah, we have beaten 6 piss poor FBS teams, but let's not get a big head over it! I can't wait to watch the NDSU/KState game this fall. Win or lose it's going to be a good one! GO BISON!!!

Maybe the Gophers are giving the Big 10 a bad name not only losing to NDSU twice, but losing to South Dakota. USD is not and has not ever been a football powerhouse in either division, and proves how bad Minnesota is/was. UND is 0-20 all time vs the Gophers and if UND were to squeeze out a win over the Goofs in 2017 or 2018 (talks were in progress to meet), then I think Barry Alverez would have a coronary.

CID1990
May 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
From 1988 until 1993 The Citadel went 6-1 over FCS teams: We beat Arkansas, Navy x2, Army x2, and South Carolina. Air Force beat us 10-7.

NDSU is the flavor of the year right now, but they have never embarrassed anyone like we embarrassed Arkansas (10-3) and USC (38-35), and it did not affect the FBS playing FCS landscape one bit.

I'd say suggesting a few wins over teams like Minnesota is the reason for the Big 10 dropping FCS games is leaning towards hubris.

Bisonator
May 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
From 1988 until 1993 The Citadel went 6-1 over FCS teams: We beat Arkansas, Navy x2, Army x2, and South Carolina. Air Force beat us 10-7.

NDSU is the flavor of the year right now, but they have never embarrassed anyone like we embarrassed Arkansas (10-3) and USC (38-35), and it did not affect the FBS playing FCS landscape one bit.

I'd say suggesting a few wins over teams like Minnesota is the reason for the Big 10 dropping FCS games is leaning towards hubris.

I disagree. Minnesota was embarrassed twice and Central Michigan, Ball State and Kansas were embarrassed too! I'm not saying that caused anything, just that those teams were embarrassed! I'm sorry but no matter how bad an FBS team is they still have more money and schollies then an FCS team and should be getting better talent and depth across the board!

PAllen
May 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I disagree. Minnesota was embarrassed twice and Central Michigan, Ball State and Kansas were embarrassed too! I'm not saying that caused anything, just that those teams were embarrassed! I'm sorry but no matter how bad an FBS team is they still have more money and schollies then an FCS team and should be getting better talent and depth across the board!

But you just listed schools that were never in serious contention to win a BCS level conference or make any noise on a national level. I believe that's what CID was referring to by embarrassed.

Bisonator
May 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
But you just listed schools that were never in serious contention to win a BCS level conference or make any noise on a national level. I believe that's what CID was referring to by embarrassed.

OK.

Bisonator
May 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM

OK.

Wait a second, Arkansas and South Carolina were in contention to make noise on a national level???

IBleedYellow
May 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Posts and topics like these are why Bison fans CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS...

Lord, I apologize for Justin and his craziness.

CID1990
May 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM
OK.

Wait a second, Arkansas and South Carolina were in contention to make noise on a national level???

I don't remember where the Gamecocks were in 1990, but in 1992 Arkansas was Sports Illustrated's preseason #24 pick. It was their first season in the SEC, I believe, and there was a lot of hype about how they could place in the SEC that year. All that went down the drain when we shut them down in Fayetteville. All they managed was one field goal, and they fired Jack Crowe on Sunday. I'd say they were VERY embarrassed, right after having SI hype them as the return of the Razorbacks of old.

justintyem
May 17th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Posts and topics like these are why Bison fans CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS...

Lord, I apologize for Justin and his craziness.

LoL,I cant stop laughing. +Rep for IBY !!!!!

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Central Michigan wasn't embarrassed by NDSU in 2007, they were humiliated: http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272652117

I also think we need to stop pretending that the Big Ten isn't scheduling FCS schools because their scared. They're scheduling FCS schools because the schools that wear the pants in that conference don't like the creampuff OOC matchups costing them in terms of ratings for their network and perception of their league's machismo in the eyes of their fans. The reason they want to stop playing FCS teams isn't that teams like UNI and NDSU play them tough. It's that, for the most part, the FCS games are yawners that don't do anything for the league in terms of making it money. If every FCS school played Iowa and Wisconsin as tough as UNI does I think they'd be more inclined to schedule FCS schools. In any case, it's just one more reason to hate the greedy Big Ten.

IBleedYellow
May 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Central Michigan wasn't embarrassed by NDSU in 2007, they were humiliated: http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272652117

I also think we need to stop pretending that the Big Ten isn't scheduling FCS schools because their scared. They're scheduling FCS schools because the schools that wear the pants in that conference don't like the creampuff OOC matchups costing them in terms of ratings for their network and perception of their league's machismo in the eyes of their fans. The reason they want to stop playing FCS teams isn't that teams like UNI and NDSU play them tough. It's that, for the most part, the FCS games are yawners that don't do anything for the league in terms of making it money. If every FCS school played Iowa and Wisconsin as tough as UNI does I think they'd be more inclined to schedule FCS schools. In any case, it's just one more reason to hate the greedy Big Ten.

I am inclined to agree with this reason of thought much more than them being scared.

Nexus 4

carney2
May 18th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Does anybody have the records for FCS teams vs FBS teams??? Cause Im just wondering if NDSU is the straw that broke the FBS vs FCS back..................aka Big 10 Future FCS Ban...........

Kind of full of yourself, aren't you?

Vitojr130
May 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM

One of the teams we have beat we clobbered. Central Michigan - 44-14. They proceeded to win the MAC that year after we kicked the living ***** out of them. I think that alone is reason to get a big head as an FCS squad.

Vitojr130
May 18th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Central Michigan won the MAC the year we whooped them 44-14 if I remember correctly...

parr90
May 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Kind of full of yourself, aren't you?

Yeah and truthfully I don't think beating central Michigan is a huge embarrassment. Be another story if it was Michigan. Maybe it's embarrassing to CM but in reality it's not that big a deal to me to see someone like ndst beat CM. To me they aren't that much different athletically. When Appalacian State beat Michigan that was a big deal and embarrassing to Michigan. I recorded that game and have watched it probably 10 different times and the bottom line to me is is that app State just had a better football team that year then Michigan did. There have been some FCS teams in the past that had they played a BCS team would have beaten them also. Sometimes with the right players on a team that play well together and gel together that team can beat a lot of teams.

PAllen
May 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Central Michigan won the MAC the year we whooped them 44-14 if I remember correctly...

"...BCS level conference..." Reading is fundamental, as is a basic understanding of football.

TheRevSFA
May 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
none of the wins NDSU had were of the magnitude of App beating Michigan.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Does that say more about NDSU, or more about the MAC?

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2013, 02:35 PM
none of the wins NDSU had were of the magnitude of App beating Michigan.

Agreed. I will say though that if NDSU were to beat K State this year, it would be a bigger win than Michigan (obviously depending on how K State does this year).

TheRevSFA
May 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Agreed. I will say though that if NDSU were to beat K State this year, it would be a bigger win than Michigan (obviously depending on how K State does this year).

K State in a year with a new QB? Don't agree with you on that. If NDSU beat K State with Klein as QB, then absolutely.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM
To clarify more, I think this year's K State team is a better squad than the Michigan team App beat...only time will tell though.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
K State in a year with a new QB? Don't agree with you on that. If NDSU beat K State with Klein as QB, then absolutely.

I'm not sure about that. It will be interesting to see how well Snyder has reloaded.

TheRevSFA
May 20th, 2013, 02:39 PM
To clarify more, I think this year's K State team is a better squad than the Michigan team App beat...only time will tell though.

If that is the case, and NDSU wins, then I will 100 percent absolutely agree with you.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2013, 02:44 PM
If that is the case, and NDSU wins, then I will 100 percent absolutely agree with you.

Now, that being said, the two games are not "apples to apples" because I don't think it would have AS much of an impact on NDSU's program as the App win over Michigan had for them.

parr90
May 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM

No it wouldnt!

jmufan999
May 20th, 2013, 03:55 PM
just responding to some recent posts: people remember App beating Michigan, but what about JMU beating top 10 Virginia Tech in 2010? i'm not saying JMU's win was as monumental, it wasn't (although I believe 2010 VT had a better season than 2007 Michigan, if i remember correctly). but after App's win, ours has to be next on the FCS upset list. i think VT was actually lower (better) than #10, but don't remember their exact ranking.

that Virginia Tech team went on to win every remaining game of the regular season, won a BCS conference, and went to the Orange Bowl. not a bad team.

edit: just looked it up. 2007 Michigan had 4 total losses and played in the Capital One Bowl. 2010 Virginia Tech had 3 total losses and played in the Orange Bowl. Just saying.

IBleedYellow
May 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM
We need to stop getting ahead of our selves. We haven't beaten ANYONE this year....yet.

:D

jmufan999
May 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
just responding to some recent posts: people remember App beating Michigan, but what about JMU beating top 10 Virginia Tech in 2010? i'm not saying JMU's win was as monumental, it wasn't (although I believe 2010 VT had a better season than 2007 Michigan, if i remember correctly). but after App's win, ours has to be next on the FCS upset list. i think VT was actually lower (better) than #10, but don't remember their exact ranking.

that Virginia Tech team went on to win every remaining game on their schedule, won a BCS conference, and went to the Orange Bowl. not a bad team.

edit: just looked it up. 2007 Michigan had 4 total losses and played in the Capital One Bowl. 2010 Virginia Tech had 3 total losses and played in the Orange Bowl. Just saying.

i don't poste here much anymore. i'll be damned if i'm going to get stuck as the last post on this page. :)

jmufan999
May 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM
updated my original post, just pointing that out as i had an error.

JUFan
May 20th, 2013, 04:23 PM

that Virginia Tech team went on to win every remaining game of the regular season, won a BCS conference, and went to the Orange Bowl. not a bad team.

JMU winning over VT was a huge upset, definitely up there with AppSt and Michigan.

A lot of FCS teams in some states benefit from FBS transfers. The ones in south especially so.

One thing to remember also is that while the FBS schools are getting the 3-5 star players, there are many 0-3 star players that were underrated and lesser recruited on the same high school teams. Many of those were a big reason that 5 star player had a big senior year....

There is a lot less talent spread on some fcs versus bcs teams, and a well coached team can win many games they shouldn't. Sometimes the talent filled team overlooks the other team. Football is the biggest sport in which execution can overcome many shortcomings in the talent.

Boise St is a huge example of this. They didn't have the players at first, yet they won due to coaching. Now they have the name to draw good players.

The main issue fcs teams face when playing big fbs teams isn't lack of starting talent. The backups and 3rd & 4th strings brought in on rotation on a fbs team loose little if any talent compared to the starters. Fcs teams rarely have that depth.

IBleedYellow
May 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM
The main issue fcs teams face when playing big fbs teams isn't lack of starting talent. The backups and 3rd & 4th strings brought in on rotation on a fbs team loose little if any talent compared to the starters. Fcs teams rarely have that depth.

This.

NDSU had a few LB's that played EVERY snap last year. Grant Olson is one of them who comes to mind.

Vitojr130
May 20th, 2013, 06:11 PM
"...BCS level conference..." Reading is fundamental, as is a basic understanding of football.

see

You are right. Reading comprehension IS a necessity for making educated comments, especially if you are the one posting them. The MAC champion is more than capable of making noise on the national level.

Vitojr130
May 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Does that say more about NDSU, or more about the MAC?

And this is where the debate lies. To answer this, I have no clue. I like to think NDSU could compete in the MAC on a regular basis. But, I believe that was the same year ASU beat Michigan, and I believe NDSU was ranked 1st in the polls the entire year but was unable to participate in the playoffs due to transition to D1. Still embarrassing for any FBS team to lose to a newly appointed FCS team no matter what.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Here's my final thought on the App thing. Teams have won some big games. Furman beat South Carolina so bad in the early 80s they didn't play us for 25 years.

At the end of the day, the reason App goes into the record books is because they did it first. I mean, an FCS beating an FBS is nothing new. Happens every year. But frankly, it had never before happened on that scale. Not with one of the great historic programs.

PAllen
May 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM
... The MAC champion is more than capable of making noise on the national level.

Not that one, but thanks for the laugh. So, that C. Mich. team sure did make a lot of noise! They went 7-5 with wins over Toledo, N. Ill., Ball State, Army, Kent St., W. Mich, and Akron on their way to MAC Championship Game. There they played for a chance to lose to then 7-5 Purdue for the second time that season in the highly respected Motor City Bowl in sunny Detroit, Michigan. That's the kind of noise on a national level most FBS programs dream about. xlolxxlolxxlolx

gotts
May 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
Not that one, but thanks for the laugh. So, that C. Mich. team sure did make a lot of noise! They went 7-5 with wins over Toledo, N. Ill., Ball State, Army, Kent St., W. Mich, and Akron on their way to MAC Championship Game. There they played for a chance to lose to then 7-5 Purdue for the second time that season in the highly respected Motor City Bowl in sunny Detroit, Michigan. That's the kind of noise on a national level most FBS programs dream about. xlolxxlolxxlolx

What credibility do you have to rip on someone's justification?

Supporting evidence. (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?118461-Who-is-the-quot-Poll-Committee-quot&p=1856568&viewfull=1#post1856568)

Just sayin'.

...and if you couldn't figure out, he was referring to this year's Orange Bowl for the MAC champion "making noise on a national level."

Vitojr130
May 21st, 2013, 03:54 PM

Supporting evidence. (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?118461-Who-is-the-quot-Poll-Committee-quot&p=1856568&viewfull=1#post1856568)

Just sayin'.

...and if you couldn't figure out, he was referring to this year's Orange Bowl for the MAC champion "making noise on a national level."

Thank you. That was what I was alluding to. I figured my statement wouldn't need much explanation after all the coverage on Northern Illinois before their loss.

PAllen
May 21st, 2013, 03:57 PM

Just sayin'.

Yep, you got me. You beat the MAC champion in 2007. Therefore, you're better than one of last year's Orange Bowl teams, and that's why the BIG 10 or whoever else is running scared from all of FCS. We are not worthy. xbowxxbowxxbowx

Vitojr130
May 21st, 2013, 04:06 PM
Yep, you got me. You beat the MAC champion in 2007. Therefore, you're better than one of last year's Orange Bowl teams, and that's why the BIG 10 or whoever else is running scared from all of FCS. We are not worthy. xbowxxbowxxbowx

I'm not implying that NDSU is better than an Orange Bowl team. I was seeking to discredit you on your "basic understanding" of college football. To ridicule my statement that Central Michigan was a legitimate FBS team for NDSU to conquer was uneducated and my reasons were given as to why. The MAC, though no SEC, B1G, or Big 12, is still a strong conference and CAN make national noise.

PAllen
May 21st, 2013, 05:05 PM
I'm not implying that NDSU is better than an Orange Bowl team. I was seeking to discredit you on your "basic understanding" of college football. To ridicule my statement that Central Michigan was a legitimate FBS team for NDSU to conquer was uneducated and my reasons were given as to why. The MAC, though no SEC, B1G, or Big 12, is still a strong conference and CAN make national noise.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bisonator http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=1962210#post1962210)

Posted by me (sorry, can't get the quote to copy correctly):

Yes, the MAC occasionally has a team that has a chance at making some noise on a national level. Have you beaten any of those occasional teams? No. However, (and I repeat) the teams listed above did not make any noise on a national level when you beat them or since. We're talking about the teams NDSU has beaten and comparing those to games like App St. - Michigan, or Citadel - Arkansas, or JMU-VT. You don't get to drop the premise of an argument and come up with a new one just because the facts don't support your side. The argument that a MAC champion that lost to every OOC opponent it played somehow made it into the national conversation is absurd and that was what I was calling out.

Of course WMU was "a legitimate FBS team for NDSU to conquer" as were the Gophers. Those wins were big from an FCS vantage point. But did anyone in FBS fandom (the vast majority of those who even give a crap about college football) really notice? Not really, no.

Vitojr130
May 21st, 2013, 06:14 PM
Yes, the MAC occasionally has a team that has a chance at making some noise on a national level. Have you beaten any of those occasional teams? No. However, (and I repeat) the teams listed above did not make any noise on a national level when you beat them or since. We're talking about the teams NDSU has beaten and comparing those to games like App St. - Michigan, or Citadel - Arkansas, or JMU-VT. You don't get to drop the premise of an argument and come up with a new one just because the facts don't support your side. The argument that a MAC champion that lost to every OOC opponent it played somehow made it into the national conversation is absurd and that was what I was calling out.

Of course WMU was "a legitimate FBS team for NDSU to conquer" as were the Gophers. Those wins were big from an FCS vantage point. But did anyone in FBS fandom (the vast majority of those who even give a crap about college football) really notice? Not really, no.

1) I was dropping a premise off of the guidelines that you yourself created.

2) NDSU is 2-0 against Northern Illinois, you know, the team from the MAC that made noise nationally... granted it was quite a few years prior.

3) The MAC is a BCS-level conference. They may not have an auto-bid, but are BCS nonetheless and the team that was beat was a serious contender for the conferences title, as they eventually won it...

4) I could give a rats behind less what fans of FBS teams thought or didn't think of NDSU beating Central Michigan. That was a significant game regardless of opinions.

5) This is getting ridiculous. /thread

PAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
1) I was dropping a premise off of the guidelines that you yourself created.

2) NDSU is 2-0 against Northern Illinois, you know, the team from the MAC that made noise nationally... granted it was quite a few years prior.

3) The MAC is a BCS-level conference. They may not have an auto-bid, but are BCS nonetheless and the team that was beat was a serious contender for the conferences title, as they eventually won it...

4) I could give a rats behind less what fans of FBS teams thought or didn't think of NDSU beating Central Michigan. That was a significant game regardless of opinions.

5) This is getting ridiculous. /thread

Nothing else needs to be said.

Vitojr130
May 22nd, 2013, 01:05 PM
Nothing else needs to be said.

Please do say something further because I'm not sure what you're alluding to... Is the MAC not a BCS conference? Did NDSU not beat Northern Illinois twice previously? I guess my lack of a basic understanding of college football is showing.

PAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
... I guess my lack of a basic understanding of college football is showing.

Yeah, it is.

parr90
May 22nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
JMU winning over VT was a huge upset, definitely up there with AppSt and Michigan.

A lot of FCS teams in some states benefit from FBS transfers. The ones in south especially so.

One thing to remember also is that while the FBS schools are getting the 3-5 star players, there are many 0-3 star players that were underrated and lesser recruited on the same high school teams. Many of those were a big reason that 5 star player had a big senior year....

There is a lot less talent spread on some fcs versus bcs teams, and a well coached team can win many games they shouldn't. Sometimes the talent filled team overlooks the other team. Football is the biggest sport in which execution can overcome many shortcomings in the talent.

Boise St is a huge example of this. They didn't have the players at first, yet they won due to coaching. Now they have the name to draw good players.

You make some good points and I will add to them.

On the ratings factor with recruiting, also what happens many times is that these 2 star players that sign with FCS schools often mature into a 4 star player after a couple years of college. Many times these 4 and 5 star recruits have peeked somewhat physically where the 2 star guys may have been overlooked simply because they have not yet matured physically as fast. Some guys just grow faster and some guys become better football players slower than others.

As far as the depth thing. You make a very true point. In fact the dropoff of talent between 1st and 2cnd string in FCS is pretty big sometimes where as the schools like Florida, Alabama, Georgia have players listed 3rd on the depth chart that are as physically talented as the starters, they just havent had their chance yet or are younger in waiting.

As far as the debate over FCS wins over FBS, Michigan is a very storied program with lots of history and if im not mistaken they were ranked #2 in the country when App beat them, I think? Its really all about the matchup unless one team is just so superior to the other talent wise. Today there are so many good football players out there that if you have a QB that can throw well and recievers that can catch you can just about play with anyone. I was playing on the 1988 runner up NC team the year we lost to Furman. We played Florida State that year I think they were ranked #4 in the nation or close to it. We were leading them 10-7 with 6 mins left in the 4th quarter and lost 28-10. We had 3 or 4 starters hurt on D that day and that really came back to bite us when it counted. Depth was an issue. Who knows what may have happend if we had those guys playing. We ended up with more total offense and defense than they did but lost. Before the game during our walk through, our coach Erk Russell asked us how many of us were recruited by Florida State and 1 guy raised his hand. He was a 2nd string wide reciever who was probably the fastest guy on the team. Probably why FSU recruited him. Erk said dont worry men when the game starts you wont be able to tell a difference. He was right! Matter of fact after losing we were upset we lost because we felt like we should have won and realized that their players werent any better really than ours. Our program at the time was only 7 years old and had just won back to back NC's in 85-86. They did however have a really deep rotation but I dont remember being real tired so I dont no if it even mattered. What got us were there specialty players......wide outs, qb, db's, dion sanders. Oh and I cant end this without saying we went 15-0 the next season 1989 and repeated our NC run the next season in 1990 but got beat pretty good by FSU that year 42-6. I cant lie.

Vitojr130
May 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it is.

Still waiting for you to expand upon your thoughts.

Bisonoline
May 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM

I would hardly call beating the bottom feeders in FBS as the Bad FBS.

justintyem
May 22nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
I would hardly call beating the bottom feeders in FBS as the Bad FBS.Re-Read my post, "WE FEED ON THE BIG BAD FBS" and the meaning is clear. THE FBS are the Big Bad Wolf,and most FCS schools live on the ATM(Automatic Money),while the FBS get the win. But never said the bottom feeders(Minny,Kansas,NewMexico,Duke,Indiana and such
) are the Bad FBS. What I was saying was a play on wording.............

PAllen
May 23rd, 2013, 03:39 AM
Re-Read my post, "WE FEED ON THE BIG BAD FBS" and the meaning is clear. THE FBS are the Big Bad Wolf,and most FCS schools live on the ATM(Automatic Money),while the FBS get the win. But never said the bottom feeders(Minny,Kansas,NewMexico,Duke,Indiana and such
) are the Bad FBS. What I was saying was a play on wording.............

You don't need to say it. Minn, Kansas, Duke, Indiana, and dare I say W. Mich. are "Bad FBS", certainly not the "Big Bad" anything unless you're talking about class sizes.