PDA

View Full Version : Petition to thank the ACC

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fcs-thanks-the-acc/

Want to thank the ACC for their decision to continue to support FCS football? Now's your chance.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Welcome news, but don't go on believing the ACC is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It just doesn't make sense for them to stop scheduling FCS teams. Programs like Duke, Wake, UNC, and Maryland want the FCS games to help them get bowl bids. The "bigger" ACC programs will make more money with FCS teams on the OOC schedule than they will off of home-and-home agreements.

BTW, IMO the SEC is even less likely to stop scheduling FCS teams than the ACC is ... plenty of FCS teams in close proximity, their elite teams can safely handle even the best FCS teams, and many programs that make truckloads of money for each home game regardless of who they are playing. And I doubt any kind of TV agreement can make it more worthwhile to schedule more good OOC opponents.

asumike83
May 16th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Exactly, the ACC will certainly try to spin it as a statement about how much they love their little brothers in the FCS but it's all about them. Outside of maybe FSU, they are playing for bowl bids, not national titles, which FCS games help with. Unlike the Big Ten, basketball schools call the shots in the ACC and they want their 6 wins in football.

bluehenbillk
May 16th, 2013, 02:11 PM
This thread is way too sanctimonious for me.

MSUBobcat
May 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Want to thank the ACC for their decision to continue to support FCS football? No. xcoffeex

cmaxwellgsu
May 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Funny coming from a graduate and fan of a school that will never face off against an ACC team....

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Funny coming from a graduate and fan of a school that will never face off against an ACC team....

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/03/16/120316-Lehigh-Duke-AP120316133988_1_620x350.jpg
http://www.quickfixsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dukelehigh.jpg
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1008995/dukefail_1.jpg
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/03/17/sports/17duke-1/17duke-1-articleLarge.jpg

Sorry, any excuse to relive that show again. xlolx

DFW HOYA
May 16th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Want to thank the ACC for their decision to continue to support FCS football? Now's your chance.

When they stop trying to run the Big East (and AAC) out of existence, then we'll talk. But it's not like Georgetown will be playing at Kenan Stadium or Grant Field in my lifetime, anyway.

sdgriz24
May 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM
No. xcoffeex
This.. Who cares? If you have to rely on other universitys to keep your program afloat then maybe you shouldn't have a program.

IBleedYellow
May 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Dude, you have a bigger hard-on for the ACC than your hard-on for hating the Sun Belt Conference.

THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.

49RFootballNow
May 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM
If the ACC doesn't play FCS schools then they might not have any OOC victories.

Still, I agree that its good for all parties to maintain the 1 FCS vs FBS game a year.

cmaxwellgsu
May 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/03/16/120316-Lehigh-Duke-AP120316133988_1_620x350.jpg

Sorry, any excuse to relive that show again. xlolx

Sorry for thinking this had something to with FCS football......

Go Green
May 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Programs like Duke, Wake, UNC, and Maryland want the FCS games to help them get bowl bids. .

I totally agree with this statement, but Maryland is out of the ACC now.

Lehigh'98
May 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM
The ACC will be completely overwhelmed by all the signatures.......oh wait, signature (its only one).

PAllen
May 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM

It is true, the PL tends to play FBS teams in their region (as most teams that can do). That means a steady diet of Army and Navy with the occasional Buffalo, Rutgers (probably not again for a while), UConn, UMass, and Syracuse (now ACC). Quick, how many times has Georgia Southern played a BIG XII school? I'll give you a hint... it both starts and ends with zero.

You talk a lot of crap for a fan of a school that will never face off against the ACC in a major post season game.

cmaxwellgsu
May 16th, 2013, 07:41 PM
It is true, the PL tends to play FBS teams in their region (as most teams that can do). That means a steady diet of Army and Navy with the occasional Buffalo, Rutgers (probably not again for a while), UConn, UMass, and Syracuse (now ACC). Quick, how many times has Georgia Southern played a BIG XII school? I'll give you a hint... it both starts and ends with zero.

You talk a lot of crap for a fan of a school that will never face off against the ACC in a major post season game.

Call back when you're crappy school wins a playoff game....

MplsBison
May 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM
When they stop trying to run the Big East (and AAC) out of existence, then we'll talk. But it's not like Georgetown will be playing at Kenan Stadium or Grant Field in my lifetime, anyway.

Maybe if your fans had been more thoughtful and latched onto rivalries with schools that at least had a snowball's chance in you know where of being affiliated with Georgetown in the long run....you wouldn't be on here complaining how you won't be able to sell out the Verizon Center.

heath
May 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Just because they can, doesn't mean they will. Hello Pitt,Syracuse,Louisville and ND.I'm still waiting for Chuckie at LFN to start a rumor that because of regional games,the ACC has made an agreement with the PL to schedule football games on a yearly basisxlolx Go ahead and make my dayxthumbsupxxlolxxlolxxlolx

bluehenbillk
May 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
The ACC seems to be operating in their own little world right now. Did any one catch yesterday that the ACC Coaches want the Coaches Poll to play a factor in the committee's selection criteria? I saw that on ESPN College Football Live last night - they had the Duke coach on, then said it has no shot in hell.

CID1990
May 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I think thanking an athletic conference for doing something that is simply in their own best interest is a bit silly. The ACC didn't do this out of some sense of altruism.

PAllen
May 17th, 2013, 09:06 AM

Sorry, you're only about a quarter century late on this one. Lehigh won it's first FCS/I-AA playoff game in 1979 on their way to a championship game appearance. I know it may be hard for you to think back that far, so the last win we had was two years ago beating the CAA champ on the way to getting drilled by NDSU at their place the week before your team did the same. You can't be this stupid.

WileECoyote06
May 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
The ACC seems to be operating in their own little world right now. Did any one catch yesterday that the ACC Coaches want the Coaches Poll to play a factor in the committee's selection criteria? I saw that on ESPN College Football Live last night - they had the Duke coach on, then said it has no shot in hell.

Now this is interesting. I assumed that it would be.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I think thanking an athletic conference for doing something that is simply in their own best interest is a bit silly. The ACC didn't do this out of some sense of altruism.

I totally agree, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be thanked for it.

SpeedkingATL
May 17th, 2013, 10:06 AM
If the ACC doesn't play FCS schools then they might not have any OOC victories.

Still, I agree that its good for all parties to maintain the 1 FCS vs FBS game a year.

+1. Maybe the first time I've agreed with 49er!

MplsBison
May 17th, 2013, 10:22 AM

How is it even possible that a "coaches poll" came into existence as a credible measure of college football teams??? Blows my friggin' mind. And that's at any level.

I just don't see how you could ever trust a coach to vote unbiased!

Good grief. Get rid of the coaches poll already. It won't play a factor in anything and I for one never will look at it.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM
How is it even possible that a "coaches poll" came into existence as a credible measure of college football teams???

The UPI coaches poll came of age in the late 1940's/early 1950's. In the pre-TV era, the AP/sportswriters poll was considered incomplete and somewhat dubious because local beat writers rarely saw other teams nationally and were more likely to be "homers" vs. today. A writer for the Fresno Bee, for example, might know something about Cal or Stanford but may have never seen a team from Minnesota or Georgia Tech play, yet were supposed to be ranking them.

By contrast, coaches were presumed to know a little more about football, and could judge whether a 5-0 record under Rip Engle at Penn State was worth versus, say, a 5-0 record under Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. Given that the competitive level was different (there were only five bowls and most teams finished in late November), coaches were presumed to be a little more objective about other teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
How is it even possible that a "coaches poll" came into existence as a credible measure of college football teams??? Blows my friggin' mind. And that's at any level.

I just don't see how you could ever trust a coach to vote unbiased!

Good grief. Get rid of the coaches poll already. It won't play a factor in anything and I for one never will look at it.

Worthy of mention here was mpls' passionate hatred for the computer-based BCS formula, and how the committee would bring the long-needed human element to the process. xrolleyesx

MplsBison
May 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
The UPI coaches poll came of age in the late 1940's/early 1950's. In the pre-TV era, the AP/sportswriters poll was considered incomplete and somewhat dubious because local beat writers rarely saw other teams nationally and were more likely to be "homers" vs. today. A writer for the Fresno Bee, for example, might know something about Cal or Stanford but may have never seen a team from Minnesota or Georgia Tech play, yet were supposed to be ranking them.

By contrast, coaches were presumed to know a little more about football, and could judge whether a 5-0 record under Rip Engle at Penn State was worth versus, say, a 5-0 record under Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. Given that the competitive level was different (there were only five bowls and most teams finished in late November), coaches were presumed to be a little more objective about other teams.

Needless to say, times have changed since the 40's and 50's!

Eliminate the coaches poll.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Worthy of mention here was mpls' passionate hatred for the computer-based BCS formula, and how the committee would bring the long-needed human element to the process. xrolleyesx

Twist spin.

The human committee will be unbiased (which is what I was complaining about on the coaches poll) and will be able to bring common sense that a computer can never have.

catamount man
May 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I totally agree, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be thanked for it.

yep. I signed it. Thanks LFN!

BisonFan02
May 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM

Call me back when you guys win another playoff game.....:)

ASUMountaineer
May 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry, thank the ACC for what exactly? Some member schools of the ACC have done everything they can to reduce the growth of fellow in-state schools. Piss on the ACC.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Twist spin.

The human committee will be unbiased (which is what I was complaining about on the coaches poll) and will be able to bring common sense that a computer can never have.

Humans are free of bias... unless they vote in the coaches poll ... xrolleyesx

MplsBison
May 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Humans are free of bias... unless they vote in the coaches poll ... xrolleyesx

Yep - absolutely no difference between the actual coaches who are coaching the very teams in the poll that they're voting on and people like retired conference commissioners, media members, etc. who have no personal stake in the teams being selected and whose voting record will be public knowledge.

Obtuse. Why would I expect anything less?

tribe_pride
May 17th, 2013, 04:15 PM
The ACC will be completely overwhelmed by all the signatures.......oh wait, signature (its only one).

I actually just looked and there are 5 signatures. I am not going to count the 2 that are trying to sell watches. If you do, there are 7 signatures.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I think LFN is trying to do something worthwhile here but I think the apparatus may just be something people don't want to do too much. I think a petition just doesn't have a lot of bite to it.

Using LFN's sentiment on the matter though and thinking back to what a guy in the Montana Dept. told me a while back was that an email (not a form email) written will show a lot better and so forth than facebook pages etc. so I sent an email telling them I thought they did a decent thing for both FCS and their own conference.

If anyone else wants to send one then I just used the contact us link on the ACC stie.

http://collegenetwork.cbssports.com/school-bio/cbsc-contact.html

They get 10, 20, 30 emails saying "good work" and it will mean more than a 100 names on a list I think.

Lehigh'98
May 17th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I actually just looked and there are 5 signatures. I am not going to count the 2 that are trying to sell watches. If you do, there are 7 signatures.

At the time of my post, too lazy to edit now. Maybe we should include a little gift basket with green Bison pens and singing toy penguins( go YSU) or hookers.

appsfan
May 17th, 2013, 08:51 PM
No thanks to the thank you petition. Most of the instate ACC schools have dodged us for years. As it was said earlier, they are only taking a position that is in their best interest...

eaglewraith
May 17th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Is this a real ****ing thing?

eaglewraith
May 17th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Call me back when you guys win another playoff game.....:)

Come to Paulson.

Oh wait you turned it down.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Come to Paulson.

But at least they didn't buy out of it. They have been there though.

BisonFan02
May 18th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Come to Paulson.

3-0...also, last I had heard, a matchup with you guys isn't entirely out of the question this year quite yet......we shall see.

BisonFan02
May 18th, 2013, 01:02 AM
To also clarify, I'm aware that your AD has stated that an agreement wasn't reachable (haven't dug around to know what that timeframe was, but I would be surprised if it was declined recently). I'm going to hold out until the Bison's 11 or 12 game schedule is completed and released. A lot can still happen between now and then...and what I have heard locally is something is happening in the background.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Is this a real ****ing thing?

In as much as any person with access to the internet can go to "i-petitions dot com" for free and create a petition for whatever whim of their imagination strikes their fancy...yeah I guess it's "real".

Herder
May 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I think that Haley and "The Sport Network" group should run the ACC poll instead of the ACC coaches. Being the entire ACC on the east coast, Haley and crew would actually have their very first ever unbiased poll.. :p

WH49er
May 21st, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry, thank the ACC for what exactly? Some member schools of the ACC have done everything they can to reduce the growth of fellow in-state schools. Piss on the ACC.

I agree with you about pissing on the ACC but what exactly have they done to inhibit the growth App State football?

ASUMountaineer
May 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
I agree with you about pissing on the ACC but what exactly have they done to inhibit the growth App State football?

I didn't mention football or athletics. I also didn't include ACC or all of its schools. I said, "some member schools of the ACC" referencing UNC and NCSU. My disdain comes mostly from how those schools leave essentially nothing but scraps for the other UNC system schools for general funding.

asumike83
May 21st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Dear Commissioner Swofford,

http://i.qkme.me/3okadw.jpg