PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tidbits in the Oregonian

JALMOND
September 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Usually, the fanfare section of the Oregonian sports section is filled with trivial aspects from the world of I-A football this time of year. However, thanks to both Montana State and Portland State for their victories this weekend, Bob Lochner seemed to fill today's (9-5) fanfare with some I-AA highlights. ([email protected]). Hopefully this is a sign of things to come as I-AA coverage in the Oregonian has been sorely lacking in recent years. Some of the things he covered this morning...

1. The last time the Big Sky had multiple wins over I-A on the same day was Sept. 9, 2000, when Montana beat Idaho 45-38 and Portland State beat Hawaii 45-20.

2. Lochner attributes this quote to Terry Frei of the Denver Post, "The only thing worse than a loss to a Division I-AA program in CU's modern era were the Buffaoles' back-to-back losses to Drake in Boulder in 1979 and '80...The victories were so inspiring for Drake that the Iowa school later dropped football."

3. Also, Lochner ended the column with this which brought a chuckle to me, "Portland State is still set to play Northern Colorado on Saturday at PGE Park. Apparently there's no truth to the rumor that the Vikings made a last-minute attempt to bring Colorado here instead."

Really, it is great to see I-AA getting some ink in a predominately Pac-10 newspaper, and not burying PSU next to Linfield. Hopefully, we won't look past the Bears this weekend, thinking that they are the Buffaloes. Thanks to our win over New Mexico, there is a good buzz going around Portland.

AZGrizFan
September 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Usually, the fanfare section of the Oregonian sports section is filled with trivial aspects from the world of I-A football this time of year. However, thanks to both Montana State and Portland State for their victories this weekend, Bob Lochner seemed to fill today's (9-5) fanfare with some I-AA highlights. ([email protected]). Hopefully this is a sign of things to come as I-AA coverage in the Oregonian has been sorely lacking in recent years. Some of the things he covered this morning...

1. The last time the Big Sky had multiple wins over I-A on the same day was Sept. 9, 2000, when Montana beat Idaho 45-38 and Portland State beat Hawaii 45-20.

2. Lochner attributes this quote to Terry Frei of the Denver Post, "The only thing worse than a loss to a Division I-AA program in CU's modern era were the Buffaoles' back-to-back losses to Drake in Boulder in 1979 and '80...The victories were so inspiring for Drake that the Iowa school later dropped football."

3. Also, Lochner ended the column with this which brought a chuckle to me, "Portland State is still set to play Northern Colorado on Saturday at PGE Park. Apparently there's no truth to the rumor that the Vikings made a last-minute attempt to bring Colorado here instead."

Really, it is great to see I-AA getting some ink in a predominately Pac-10 newspaper, and not burying PSU next to Linfield. Hopefully, we won't look past the Bears this weekend, thinking that they are the Buffaloes. Thanks to our win over New Mexico, there is a good buzz going around Portland.

Unfortunately, however, some people still don't get it. I just got done listening to Chris Fowler (of ESPN's Gameday) on the Jim Rome Show belittle MSU (and Colorado for losing) and wondering why ANY I-A team would even consider scheduling a I-AA school that would be so far beneath them talent-wise. I just sent Rome a nasty email telling him his guests should be better educated about the so-called "differences" between I-AA and I-A.

What a maroon. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

NoCoDanny
September 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Chris Fowler is a Colorado alum so I'm sure he is a little bitter at the moment.