PDA

View Full Version : Who does the Big South add for football

The Cats
May 13th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Should VMI or Coastal leave the Big South for the SoCon, who does the Big South add to keep their automatic bid ?

KSU is a possibility, anyone else?

walliver
May 13th, 2013, 09:23 AM
The best option for the Big South would be to try and lure away an MEAC team or two. SC State comes to mind. With a limited conference schedule (6 games) there is ample opportunity to schedule OOC "classics". KSU is the only new team to go after. Possibly North Alabama if they move up. I can't picture a SoCon, OVC or CAA team moving. Adding more northern affiliates would be a budget-buster for for PC/GWU/CSU. Maybe Stetson or Jacksonville could add scholarships, but I haven't heard much from either. Davidson could use some of their A10 basketball money to offer a few scholarships for football and return to the Big South, but that is extremely unlikely.

The Big South may not sponsor football for long.
1) Liberty is quite open about it's FBS aspirations
2) CCU has been quite honest about wanted to join the SoCon or CAA.
3) VMI would like to return to the SoCon.
4) It's hard to picture Monmouth as a long-term affiliate.
That leaves 3 long-term members
1) PC - nowhere to go
2) CSU - nowhere to go, probably should go to the Pioneer
3) GWU - can brag about being in the Charlotte market, but not particularly attractive to the CAA, SoCon or OVC

I also wonder about KSU's tenure in FCS. Are they committed to FCS long-term, or are they hopipng to replace Georgia State in the SunBelt when C-USA goes after the Atlanta market. :D

DFW HOYA
May 13th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Davidson could use some of their A10 basketball money to offer a few scholarships for football and return to the Big South, but that is extremely unlikely.

The A-10 TV contract wil return around $300,000 a year to Davidson. Assuming you would take every dollar and focus on football, that would buy six scholarships a year.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM
The A-10 TV contract wil return around $300,000 a year to Davidson. Assuming you would take every dollar and focus on football, that would buy six scholarships a year.

Or you could cover the expenses of sending, oh, I don't know, four teams up North for the A-10 championships. Say, Philly for track, Rhode Island for cross country, UMass for field hockey, and Dayton for volleyball. Boom, there's your $300K.

Davidson needs to rely on making the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis just to balance their books. The chance of them going scholarship football is less than zero.

rokamortis
May 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Should VMI or Coastal leave the Big South for the SoCon, who does the Big South add to keep their automatic bid ?

KSU is a possibility, anyone else?

The Big South is hoping for scraps. There is just too much up in the air to make a realistic guess. I think the previous rumors that they would partner with the A-Sun for those schools that want to play scholarship football makes the most sense.

There is a perceived disconnect between public and private schools in the SoCon, so I would like the commissioner to call UTC and WCU to see if they'd have any interest. If so, then call KSU and ETSU. I know it is a reach and not realistic but it is worth the call.

The Cats
May 13th, 2013, 09:56 AM
The Big South is hoping for scraps. There is just too much up in the air to make a realistic guess. I think the previous rumors that they would partner with the A-Sun for those schools that want to play scholarship football makes the most sense.

There is a perceived disconnect between public and private schools in the SoCon, so I would like the commissioner to call UTC and WCU to see if they'd have any interest. If so, then call KSU and ETSU. I know it is a reach and not realistic but it is worth the call.

One Winthrop fan seems to think the SoCon is now a step down from the Big South

VMI moving down to the Socon?
by shakeshoes » Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 pm

This couldn't be working out better for the Big South. VMI, one of the worst overall programs in the conference, if not the worst, could leave for the Socon according to some articles I've seen. The Socon in its current configuration is now a step below the Big South, so this probably makes sense.

This will help the Big South long term, as VMI shouldn't really be competing at the D1 level.

http://www.winthropfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1645

asumike83
May 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Or you could cover the expenses of sending, oh, I don't know, four teams up North for the A-10 championships. Say, Philly for track, Rhode Island for cross country, UMass for field hockey, and Dayton for volleyball. Boom, there's your $300K.

Davidson needs to rely on making the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis just to balance their books. The chance of them going scholarship football is less than zero.

Davidson will get plenty of NCAA money whether they make the tournament or not. The A-10 is a multi-bid league that wins games in the NCAA tournament every year. That is not going to change.

They definitely are not sponsoring scholarship football though, regardless of how much revenue comes in.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
This thread looked at some possibilities:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?130837-1-SAC-schools-to-to-Big-South

The most intriguing is the BSC raiding the cream of the MEAC, including FAMU and B-CU. Less sexy is the thought of D-II indy North Greenville moving up to the BSC.

MplsBison
May 13th, 2013, 10:22 AM

You can always ask the students if they want to pay for it. If they agree, it's done.

The Cats
May 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Davidson will get plenty of NCAA money whether they make the tournament or not. The A-10 is a multi-bid league that wins games in the NCAA tournament every year. That is not going to change.

They definitely are not sponsoring scholarship football though, regardless of how much revenue comes in.

I agree, Davidson has the money now to sponsor scholarship football. They are not going to return to athletic scholarships.

They decided they do not want scholarship football when they dropped to non-scholarship football, because of the concessions they'd have to make in academics, in other words, lower academic admissions for scholarship football players. That's a dead issue at Davidson.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I agree, Davidson has the money now to sponsor scholarship football. They are not going to return to athletic scholarships.

They decided they do not want scholarship football when they dropped to non-scholarship football, because of the concessions they'd have to make in academics, in other words, lower academic admissions for scholarship football players. That's a dead issue at Davidson.

I wouldn't take the word of the folks at Davidson as gospel. Why, look how quickly they sold the SoCon down the river after saying how much they loved being a "Southern school".

And Davidson is emphatically not going to make enough money to sponsor football. While they will make more basketball revenue from their presence in the A-10 their expenses across all sports will go through the roof. That plus $5 million to sponsor football scholarships + Title IX considerations are simply not going to happen.

Fordham can use A-10 money to help sponsor football because most of their conference games and championship games are a three hour bus ride. Davidson cannot, and doesn't desire to, adopt that same model.

heath
May 13th, 2013, 08:34 PM
To save the conference look at Jacksonville, Davidson and Campbell,and see if they are willing to add schollies. Yes Campbell is bad,but are a very young program with a new coach.

WestCoastAggie
May 13th, 2013, 09:31 PM
The Big South would need to get a TV deal that is better than what the MEAC has for any team in the MEAC to accept any BSC invite per my sources.

As many opportunities for improvements in the MEAC TV Deal, that fact a school has a chance to play in front of a national audience on a network that has a growing reach of viewers (ESPNU) is good for all teams in the conference. If anything, the MEAC should add a Big South school so we can split into true North/South divisions but many boosters of those schools would not go for joining a conference full of Historically Black Colleges & Universities, at least that's what I was told.

elcid83
May 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
No chance the Big South adds SC State.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

ASUMountaineer
May 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Is Davidson broke?

The Cats
May 14th, 2013, 08:14 AM
No chance the Big South adds SC State.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

With SC State's financial problems, they may not remain DI, who knows.

The Cats
May 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I think if I were the Big South commissioner, I'd be also looking at both North Alabama and West Georgia. Both may be ready to make a move up.

West Georgia (http://www.uwgsports.com/sports/2010/6/3/UNIV_0603100254.aspx?path=stadium_campaign)

North Alabama (http://www.roarlions.com/Lion_Sports/Football/Multimedia/Facilities/index.html)

superman7515
May 14th, 2013, 08:46 AM
With SC State's financial problems, they may not remain DI, who knows.

They will remain D1, that won't be an issue.

The Cats
May 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM
They will remain D1, that won't be an issue.

I hope so, I think they could have been considered for the SoCon if their finances were in order.

The only reason I said that is I'm sure I read an article on line several months back that said they were considering that possibility.

The Cats
May 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Here's the article -

Facing $6 Million Deficit, SC State Considers Cuts to Academics, Move to Div. II Athletics

Officials at South Carolina State University informed its Board of Trustees yesterday that a $6 million deficit may force significant cost cutting measures university-wide. Newly-hired vice-president of finance Eric Eaton proposed a plan that would implement a hiring freeze, cuts to existing faculty positions, and a potential move to Division II.

http://hbcudigest.com/facing-6-million-deficit-sc-state-considers-cuts-to-academics-move-to-div-ii-athletics/

Are you saying they fixed this?

superman7515
May 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Yes, it's also over 9 months old and they've made numerous public statements since saying that moving athletics was completely off the table.

The Cats
May 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Yes, it's also over 9 months old and they've made numerous public statements since saying that moving athletics was completely off the table.

That's good new for their athletics. Thanks for the update.

cmaxwellgsu
May 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM

Have heard pretty much the same thing from a couple of their alumni. There is no lack of money there.

walliver
May 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Their problems will take many years to fix. Moving to D-2 would have few immediate savings and really wasn't an option in the immediate term.

The state is currently replacing all of the board (no current members are being kept on and a whole new board will be in place within 2 years). I would be surprised if any major changes are undertaken in the next 2 years.

If immediate cuts are required, they could just leave a few scholarships
unfilled.