PDA

View Full Version : Maryland may drop future FCS games with James Madison, Richmond and Howard.

ODU Oldtimer
May 10th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Maryland may drop some planned games with FCS schools

Big Ten is asking its member schools to stop scheduling games against Football Championship Subdivision opponents

The Big Ten wants Maryland — which joins the conference in 2014 — and its other members to stop scheduling Football Championship Subdivision opponents.

As a result, according to multiple officials, Maryland may drop at least some of their planned games with FCS schools in future seasons. The schools include James Madison, Richmond and Howard.
While it is too soon to say which games might be cut, the school said it would honor all existing contracts. Nonconference contracts typically contain buyout provisions if one school needs to withdraw.

There is another factor at work besides strength of schedule. The Big Ten is moving to nine conference games in 2016. The extra league contest will result in shorter nonconference schedules — and the weaker opponents are likely to be the ones sacrificed.
Maryland plays Old Dominion, an FCS school, in the second game of the 2013 season on Sept. 7. That game will be played as scheduled.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp...SqiV5MdJ&w

Seawolf97
May 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM
So far this is the only conference that has come out with this edict as far as I know. Hopefully it is not the beginning of a major trend. We play Cincy in 2014 - hate to see that game go off the radar.

NHwildEcat
May 10th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I would find it hard to believe that the MAC schools would follow suit. UNH typically plays MAC schools, a la Central Michigan this year, but I suppose this could filter down. If the Big Ten schools end up having to play MAC schools it will shift the whole schedule. However, the extra conference game may eliminate that possiblity for the top national schools as they would need to keep up their strength of scheudle...

More rumbles in the soon to be volcanic explosion of college football.

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM
So far this is the only conference that has come out with this edict as far as I know. Hopefully it is not the beginning of a major trend.

It's very likely a trend, as soon as another conference signs on. For example, the Big 10 and Pac-12 can agree to schedule each other in non-conference games that are not already set within a BCS arrangement (e.g, USC still plays Notre Dame every year but schedules Iowa instead of picking up San Jose St.)

Why? Keeps the money in the family. These schools care very little about the MAC, much less I-AA.

ATL_DANE
May 10th, 2013, 11:13 PM
If BCS schools limit play to FBS schools then the NCAA should allow FCS colleges/conferences the option to upgrade.

The loss of guarantee games would be a substantial financial hit. It's not fair to cut off FBS money games that have such a significant impact on budgets while limiting FCS colleges to fight over non-existent openings in the few entry level FBS conferences (Sun Belt, MAC)

I would hope if push came to shove, the CAA would be allowed and choose to upgrade.

The NCAA should be fair if this happens and provide a path to all FCS colleges that want to upgrade!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2013, 11:25 PM
It's very likely a trend, as soon as another conference signs on. For example, the Big 10 and Pac-12 can agree to schedule each other in non-conference games that are not already set within a BCS arrangement (e.g, USC still plays Notre Dame every year but schedules Iowa instead of picking up San Jose St.)

Why? Keeps the money in the family. These schools care very little about the MAC, much less I-AA.

This will never happen since it will prevent the Really Big Money of the plus-one Trophy series from getting to the losers of these matchups.

Why on Earth would USC schedule a home-and-home with Iowa, knowing it has Notre Dame on the schedule? They can sign up San Jose State or UC Davis for a near-guaranteed win, get more money and have a better shot at a 0- or 1-loss record, which is what it will take to get to the crystal trophy series.

Simple economics and greed will ultimately win out here.

MSUDuo
May 10th, 2013, 11:28 PM
The Big 12 has come out and said the same thing. I'd venture to guess that the SEC and P12 will be right behind them

MplsBison
May 11th, 2013, 10:53 AM
It's all going to depend on how the selection committee votes the first couple seasons.

Here's a "take your paycheck to the bank" guarantee:

- if the B1G starts getting three teams in the 12 big bowl slots (Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Peach, Orange) or even worse if they get two teams in the playoff, and it comes out of the selection committee that the reason for that was related to scheduling and strength of schedule, every single BCS league will immediate implement 9 game conference schedules and end FCS scheduling.

That's an etched in stone fact.

But it may not play out that way. As of right now, I don't see the SEC going to either a 9 game conference schedule or ending FCS scheduling, if they don't have to. And as long as they do at least as well as the B1G in terms of big bowl teams and playoff teams - they won't change.

superman7515
May 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM
But it may not play out that way. As of right now, I don't see the SEC going to either a 9 game conference schedule or ending FCS scheduling, if they don't have to. And as long as they do at least as well as the B1G in terms of big bowl teams and playoff teams - they won't change.

Some want to...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-05-10/nick-saban-alabama-five-conferences-division-strength-of-schedule

Alabama coach Nick Saban wants to take the Big Ten’s move a step further by separating the big boys from the rest of the country.

“I’m for five conferences—everybody playing everybody in those five conferences,” he told the Birmingham News during a Crimson Caravan stop. “That’s what I’m for, so it might be 70 teams, and everybody’s got to play ‘em…”

He’d also like to see the SEC go from eight conference games to nine each year.

“I mean, strength of schedule is important, but also, how about the fans?,” he said. “Don’t they want to see good games and all that?”

major095
May 11th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Keep in mind the reason they play FCS teams to begin with. They want/need a home game, and they want it to be a winnable game. They will have to schedule some home and home series with sunbelt, mac, and c-usa teams or pay a hefty premium. either way this policy puts some smaller fbs conference members in a position of strength.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I really have no trouble with this. If your particular school is struggling financially then sports/football should be reconsidered.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Keep in mind the reason they play FCS teams to begin with. They want/need a home game, and they want it to be a winnable game. They will have to schedule some home and home series with sunbelt, mac, and c-usa teams or pay a hefty premium. either way this policy puts some smaller fbs conference members in a position of strength.

Schools with easy access to NFL stadiums could benefit from creative scheduling. Temple for instance should have no trouble getting one big name OOC opponent to come to the Linc. A single game against ND, USC, Florida etc. that brings in 60k+ basically guarantees a solid average attendance for the year which keeps the Eagles happy.

MplsBison
May 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Some want to...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-05-10/nick-saban-alabama-five-conferences-division-strength-of-schedule

Well he has a point, I suppose. But when you're on top of the world, can get any prospect you want -- you can probably afford a bit of brash coachspeak.

I'm thinking the coaches of the lower SEC schools trying to build themselves up would maybe not be so quick on that trigger.

If you're just going to have five conferences in an official tier with 14 teams each (70 total) plus Notre Dame - then you should just have every conference playing 10 conf games, 2 non-conf games for traditional rivalries, a conf championship game and then the bowl season (with a plus one for the two semi bowl winners).

sdgriz24
May 12th, 2013, 06:09 PM
This will never happen since it will prevent the Really Big Money of the plus-one Trophy series from getting to the losers of these matchups.

Why on Earth would USC schedule a home-and-home with Iowa, knowing it has Notre Dame on the schedule? They can sign up San Jose State or UC Davis for a near-guaranteed win, get more money and have a better shot at a 0- or 1-loss record, which is what it will take to get to the crystal trophy series.

Simple economics and greed will ultimately win out here.
Sorry but as much as you want it the FCS is getting pushed even further down the pile. They are all gonna stop scheduling FCS teams as they should.