PDA

View Full Version : Aeropostale SLC Players of the Week - Wk 1

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
The wealth was shared this week with three different players from three different Louisiana schools getting honors this week. The SLC is even calling the I-A schools, 'NCAA Bowl Subdivision' already! Congrats to Lucas, Boggan and Weeks for getting the nod this week.

What's the word from the SELA faithful on AGS on the potential of Jay Lucas?

FRISCO, Texas - Southeastern Louisiana's Jay Lucas, Nicholls State's Jermaine Boggan and Northwestern State's Robert Weeks have been picked as Aeropostale Football Players of the Week in the Southland Conference. Following is a look at their performances.

OFFENSE

JAY LUCAS, Southeastern La., So., RB, 5-11, 220, Baton Rouge, La. -- Against NCAA Bowl Subdivision opponent New Mexico State, Lucas rushed 17 times for 96 yards, including a long of 19. His 11-yard burst up the middle late in the first quarter in which he broke two tackles en route to the end zone, drew the Lions to within two points, 14-12. His run capped a 7-play, 58-yard drive in which he accounted for 37 of the yards. Lucas accounted for 114 of the Lions' 218 yards of total offense.

Honorable Mention: Demetrius Bell, NWLa.; Derrick Fourroux, McN; Chase Wasson, TXST.

DEFENSE

JERMAINE BOGGAN, Nicholls State, Jr., DB, 5-10, 180, Jacksonville, Fla. --Boggan recorded two interceptions, scored a special teams touchdown on a failed punt attempt by Southern Arkansas, and registered 0.5 tackles in the Colonels 35-0 win over the Muleriders.

Honorable Mention: Corey Campbell, SFA; Tory Collins, NWLa.; Michael Johnson, SLU; Bryan Smith, McN.

SPECIAL TEAMS

ROBERT WEEKS, Northwestern State, So., K, 5-11, 177, Pineville, La. -- Weeks broke the Demons' single-game school record with four field goals (30, 31, 36, 36 yards), equalling his season total last year, in a 49-18 defeat at Kansas. He did not try an extra point as NSU went for two after its touchdown.

Honorable Mention: Jerome Brooks, SFA; Jared Dolan, McN; Jim Hall, SLU; Chris MacDonald, TXST.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090506aaa.html

BEAR
September 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Hey Terror,
When will the any Bears be considered for those honors?

Lionsrking
September 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Terror,
When will the any Bears be considered for those honors?

I'm not Terror but I believe the answer to your question is when you begin playing a regular conference schedule. We went through the same deal in 2003 and 2004.

BEAR
September 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I know. I was just messing with Terror. xlolx
It's hard to have talented players like Fairooz and others on your team in their senior season and get no props for their play because the athletic departments are in limbo. Anyway, props to the boys in purple. Let's get those redbirds next week! :thumbsup:

GeauxLions94
September 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM

The guy has the chance to be a very special back for us, along with Kendrick Perry (Fr.).

Lucas was a highly recruited back out of high school (one of the top RB's in the South) who nearly went to LSU. He decided to go to Texas A&M for the chance at playing time. After not getting much PT under Franchione, Lucas came back home and has been the starter since day one.

He and Perry have three years together in the backfield which makes them potentially, one of the top RB tandems in I-AA.

Lionsrking
September 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Jay Lucas is an ANIMAL!!! He has size, speed, great vision, footwork and is an oustanding receiver out of the backfield. He's a cut above any running back I saw in the Southland last year. Kendrick Perry is just as good but the way New Mexico State was defending us, it didn't work out for him to have a big game.