PDA

View Full Version : New SoCon Rivalries

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2013, 09:22 AM
With all the talk of VMI rejoining the SoCon it got me thinking: where are the potential rivalries in the SoCon now that App and Georgia Southern are leaving?

Many schools had pretty bitter rivalries with both schools, originally with Georgia Southern but also, recently, with App. Furman/App in particular was always a highlight, App/WCU was for the jug, Wofford/Georgia Southern, and there are plenty more.

If VMI comes back, all those military classic of the south Citadel/VMI rivalry games in all sports are rekindled. But after that, though, are there any other possible big rivalries, existing or some with potential?

Eagle22
May 6th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Wofford, Furman and Samford will quickly gain 'rivalries' with Mercer, IMO. This won't be on the field/court/diamond driven, as much as jockeying for the same student athletes. Of course UTC/ETSU is a no-brainer, once ETSU is back in the SoCon.

Having earned my MBA from Mercer, I'm pleased I'll be able to continue hating Furman :D. It may just be a few years after the Bears are admitted before I get to gloat about anything other than baseball or basketball.

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Wofford, Furman and Samford will quickly gain 'rivalries' with Mercer, IMO. This won't be on the field/court/diamond driven, as much as jockeying for the same student athletes. Of course UTC/ETSU is a no-brainer, once ETSU is back in the SoCon.

Having earned my MBA from Mercer, I'm pleased I'll be able to continue hating Furman :D. It may just be a few years after the Bears are admitted before I get to gloat about anything other than baseball or basketball.

Not a thing in the world wrong with that. xthumbsupx

SU DOG
May 6th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I completely agree with Eagle, however, I think that Samford/Mercer will also become a good rivalry on the field of play. It may take a while, but should eventually develop. Mercer and Samford already have some academic co-operative degrees together, and have plenty in common. It's also a relatively easy interstate drive between the campuses. Mercer seems eager and committed to putting together a quality football program. I don't believe it will take as long for them to be competitive as some think. No, they will not replace GSU in terms of an FCS powerhouse, but IMO, they are a good get for our conference at this time.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I predict it will be difficult for Biff at Samford, Muffy at Mercer, Geoffrey at Furman, Zachary at Wofford, and Cameron (from Massachusetts) at Elon to care enough to actually develop a rivalry with their counterparts in the conference. The students who actually acknowledge the game will still be at the Frat Tent long after kickoff.

CID1990
May 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
El Cid vs VMI took a little hiatus, but we would generally play the game even with VMI still in the Big South.

I think Mercer and Wofford will emerge if Mercer can get their football chops going in the next few years.

Smitty
May 6th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Well since I have been taught to hate App my whole WCU life... I don't know who the next rivalry will be.

My guess if we finally start winning again a rival will show.

CID1990
May 6th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Well since I have been taught to hate App my whole WCU life... I don't know who the next rivalry will be.

My guess if we finally start winning again a rival will show.

Disliking Elon is pretty easy to do. You should try it on for size.

AshevilleApp2
May 6th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I predict it will be difficult for Biff at Samford, Muffy at Mercer, Geoffrey at Furman, Zachary at Wofford, and Cameron (from Massachusetts) at Elon to care enough to actually develop a rivalry with their counterparts in the conference. The students who actually acknowledge the game will still be at the Frat Tent long after kickoff.

Are you and Apphole brothers?

Apphole
May 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Are you and Apphole brothers?

I wasn't in a frat when I was in college. Raley lot was just way more fun than Douchepond Field.

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I wasn't in a frat when I was in college. Raley lot was just way more fun than Douchepond Field.

I was in a frat...hitting up both worked quite well. xnodx

The Cats
May 6th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Western won't have a natural rivalry in the SoCon.

I don't see anyone in the new line up that will get the blood boiling for Catamount fans.

seantaylor
May 7th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Frat boys pay for pussy

AshevilleApp2
May 7th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Frat boys pay for pussy

We all pay one way or another. Get over it.

GSUhooligan
May 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM

I don't see anyone in the new line up that will get the blood boiling for Catamount fans.

Western Carolina - East Tennessee has geographic potential. I don't know how either fan base feels about the other. I know App is closer, but if ETSU is looking for an FCS rival, Cullowhee isn't too far. Plus you have opposing directions and border state themes to run with.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Western Carolina - East Tennessee has geographic potential. I don't know how either fan base feels about the other. I know App is closer, but if ETSU is looking for an FCS rival, Cullowhee isn't too far. Plus you have opposing directions and border state themes to run with.

I think it was mentioned ETSU/UTC has some potential.

etsudolfan
May 7th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I think it was mentioned ETSU/UTC has some potential.

ETSU and UTC used to have a very big rivalry...I think both schools are excited to see that rivalry renewed. They love to hate each other lol

walliver
May 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM

That's probably true, but, would WCU have any natural rivalries in the OVC or Big South, or even the CAA? WCU is kind of an orphan no matter where you go.

CCU could potentially become a rival to WCU fans if both were in the same conference, but I question whether CCU fans would see WCU as rivals unless WCU steps up to the top of the league.

CID1990
May 7th, 2013, 12:12 PM
WCU would be a natural rival for both Furman and Wofford if they could actually start fielding a consistently good football team. They are literally right up I-26 from you guys.

The Cats
May 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I think that UTC and ETSU will renew their rivalry, not much room for Western there.

I certainly don't see much developing with either VMI or Mercer. Maybe Furman, if Western's football improves.

Apphole
May 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I think that UTC and ETSU will renew their rivalry, not much room for Western there.

I certainly don't see much developing with either VMI or Mercer. Maybe Furman, if Western's football improves.

If/when you start winning a lot, you'll be surprised of how many rivalries come out of nowhere. There is no geographic reason that App and GaSo would be rivals. It came from being the two top dogs (and some cultural similarities).

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2013, 01:03 PM
If/when you start winning a lot, you'll be surprised of how many rivalries come out of nowhere. There is no geographic reason that App and GaSo would be rivals. It came from being the two top dogs (and some cultural similarities).

There's even less of a reason for Furman and GSU to be rivals. About the only similarities between GSU and Furman are that they both played football in the SoCon. Well, that and they met for a national title twice.

Reign of Terrier
May 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Wofford vs Furman will be the new hot rivalry.

Bogus Megapardus
May 7th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Since LFN is astroturfing SoCon rivalries, how about some new Patriot vs. SoCon rivalries? Up north we have some very longstanding Ivy vs. Patriot rivalries but with the new PL scholarships, the time soon will come (I hope) for some regularly-scheduled games between, say, Wofford-Furman-Elon and Colgate-Lehigh-Bucknell. The whole North vs. South affair might catch on in FCS.

IBleedYellow
May 8th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Frat boys pay for pussy

No No No, Frat boys pay for "friends" and hope to get pussy.

CID1990
May 8th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Since LFN is astroturfing SoCon rivalries, how about some new Patriot vs. SoCon rivalries? Up north we have some very longstanding Ivy vs. Patriot rivalries but with the new PL scholarships, the time soon will come (I hope) for some regularly-scheduled games between, say, Wofford-Furman-Elon and Colgate-Lehigh-Bucknell. The whole North vs. South affair might catch on in FCS.

The Citadel used to play PL teams pretty regularly. The problem these days is that ADs at FCS schools much prefer to keep their teams on a bus rather than in an airplane. I would love to see us back up there (my wife is a Bucknell grad) but when you have 2-3 OOC games per year (with one of those being against a local ACC or SEC school) and then another versus a Big South school that narrows down the scheduling ability.

Still, I liked our home and home with Princeton (not PL, but the profile is similar), and remember the days El Cid was playing Lehigh and Colgate. It would be nice to do again, just possibly not realistic on a regular basis.