PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Announces Football Class of 2017

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Altogether, 23 signees, including three kickers and three more QB's. Does not appear to be any decommits but a few signed after February's signing day.

Just my two cents, but the list appears to be a thin one, and a byproduct of losing a lot of battles on the recruiting front this year without scholarships. A sign of things to come, perhaps.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050213aaa.html

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Just as the NFL draft ends, a new "Patsy Ratings" to compute.

PAllen
May 2nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Looks like a few decent pickups there. I honestly wonder how much of an effect the lack of scholarships has vs. lack of facilities, winning tradition, school support. You do have the Georgetown name which has to help.

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
I honestly wonder how much of an effect the lack of scholarships has vs. lack of facilities, winning tradition, school support. You do have the Georgetown name which has to help.

I'd guess that of ten missed recruits that are admittable, Georgetown loses probably six on cost of attendance, three on a better offer from H-Y-P or a higher ranked program, and maybe one on facilities and tradition. Or, as noted below:

"The "low need" recruit (academic parlance for what used to be called "wealthy") can now go to Bucknell or Colgate without paying a dime. At many of the Ivies, tuition is capped at 10% of cost for households under $200,000, meaning an offer for Princeton or Harvard is no more than $20,000 a year for a family who might have paid twice that for a prep or boarding school. Georgetown can't match either.

"The "medium need" recruit who was formerly expected to pay half of his tuition to play PL football also can get a free ride at Lehigh or Holy Cross, and if an Ivy offer is forthcoming, the 10% rule could provide a family with a $60,000 household income a bargain at $6,000 a year, while three Ivies will simply cover the cost with an outright grant. Anywhere else, it's called a full scholarship. At Georgetown, expect to pay $30,000.

"The "high need" recruit is likely to get a favorable offer no matter where he goes. Fordham or Lafayette makes it simple: you're in. The Ivies, in. Georgetown can offer full need but it's a mix of grant, loan, and work study unless that's bought out. In this cohort, Georgetown wins some, loses others, just like it always does. But for those 50% of families making more than the national average of $45,000 a year, the idea of paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend Georgetown just got as little more difficult to justify, especially when Bucknell or Lehigh or Holy Cross can tell that same recruit "you don't have to pay here."

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-price-of-progress.html

PAllen
May 2nd, 2013, 07:19 PM
I fully agree that not being able to outright offer a free ride puts Georgetown at a disadvantage. That's one of the reason I was in favor of scholarships for the league. I just wonder how much of a hit it must be when a recruit comes for a visit and sees a stadium that is not much bigger than the one at Georgetown Prep and probably smaller than many they played in in HS.

hoyapigskin
May 5th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Looks like a few decent pickups there. I honestly wonder how much of an effect the lack of scholarships has vs. lack of facilities, winning tradition, school support. You do have the Georgetown name which has to help.

I like quite a few of these new Hoyas. Watched the highlights on all 23 and I see some talented skill positions, OLine and LB's.

ngineer
May 5th, 2013, 11:03 PM
The problem with recruiting, from a facilities standpoint, is that it sends a message as to how much the school cares. The digs don't have to be 'super' or the best, but they should at least appear to the student that the school sees value in having the sport. With G'town's sterling academic reputation, it wouldn't take a huge effort to be able to lure some very top notch talent.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM
1/2 hour warning on the Georgetown Patsy ratings.

They are not pretty.

hoyapigskin
May 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM
1/2 hour warning on the Georgetown Patsy ratings.

They are not pretty.

Your half-hour is up...whacha got?

CFBfan
May 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Your half-hour is up...whacha got?

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/05/patsy-ratings-georgetowns-class-of-2017.html#more

it's there.....