PDA

View Full Version : UNC Asheville to the SoCon?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
http://www.blackmountainnews.com/article/20130502/SPORTS/305020021/Is-UNC-Asheville-headed-to-the-SoCon-?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Football powerhouse Appalachian State is on the move, relinquishing its dominant position in the FCS Southern Conference to the unknown future of the FBS Sun Belt Conference.

Now there are rumors swirling around town — and it’s nothing but rumors for now — that little ol’ UNC Asheville is contemplating a move up from the kids’ table of Division I.

There is talk that the Southern Conference and the Bulldogs, currently members of the Big South Conference, are doing a little flirting.

Nobody has asked anyone to go steady, but there apparently have been some long glances at each other.

Why would the SoCon want UNC Asheville when they don't have a football team? xconfusedx

AshevilleApp2
May 2nd, 2013, 01:46 PM
It won't happen.

asumike83
May 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Just like most conferences, the SoCon is sending feelers out all over the place to see what their options are. I don't think UNCA is a serious candidate.

The Cats
May 2nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
It won't happen.

I totally agree. UNC-A would bring nothing but a basketball team, with an athletic budget that is lowest in the BS. Since they lost their coach to UNCW, they might not even be able to bring a basketball team.

kdinva
May 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM
I totally agree. UNC-A would bring nothing but a basketball team,.

and their baseball facility is on par with Chuck South's FB facility.

walliver
May 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
UNC-A is in the same TV market as WCU, FU and Wofford. It is a fractured TV market so UNCA would compete for local coverage only in the Asheville segment. Even though TV isn't really an issue, it creates a footprint that is very small.

If UNC-A is really being considered, the SoCon may as well add Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian and then have half the conference could be covered by televising games on a single station.

The Cats
May 2nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
If. and i'ts a BIG IF, UNC-A is seriously being considered, the SoCon is in a lot worse shape than we all thought.

It would be on thing to bring in Mercer, at least there's a chance for scholarship football there, but UNC-A? I'm sure they expressed interest, I think ALL the Big South schools have expressed interest to the SoCon about joining, so they have to be considered, but not seriously considered.

Saint3333
May 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
UNCA to the SoCon is like Indiana St. to the Sun Belt. Somebody got a call and read way to much into it.

Sandlapper Spike
May 2nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Spent $4.7 million on varsity athletics -- total -- in 2011-12. No football, no money, no market, no reason to get a SoCon invite.

SU_IT_able
May 2nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
UNCA to the SoCon is like Indiana St. to the Sun Belt. Somebody got a call and read way to much into it.

I'd say more like Indiana State to the Big 10. :-)

Saint3333
May 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
The SoCon should trade UNCG to the Big South for any any football playing school.

chargeradio
May 2nd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Are the Atlantic Sun schools perhaps saying "not yet" to the SoCon due to the NCAA Tournament windfall from FGCU's run? This could be bad news if the CAA lures 2-3 more SoCon schools.

FWIW UNCA hosted the SoCon basketball tournament this past season.

Sandlapper Spike
May 2nd, 2013, 07:17 PM
Are the Atlantic Sun schools perhaps saying "not yet" to the SoCon due to the NCAA Tournament windfall from FGCU's run? This could be bad news if the CAA lures 2-3 more SoCon schools.

I don't think it's enough money to prevent any A-Sun school from making a move to the SoCon. Two extra units divided among 10 schools (and the league office) over a six-year period, probably worth about $50K or so for each school.

Sitting Bull
May 2nd, 2013, 07:19 PM
UNC-A is in the same TV market as WCU, FU and Wofford. It is a fractured TV market so UNCA would compete for local coverage only in the Asheville segment. Even though TV isn't really an issue, it creates a footprint that is very small..

Furman and Wofford are in the Greenville/ Spartanburg SC market. What does that have to do with Asheville NC?

Sandlapper Spike
May 2nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Furman and Wofford are in the Greenville/ Spartanburg SC market. What does that have to do with Asheville NC?

Asheville is part of that same DMA.

Tealblood
May 2nd, 2013, 07:31 PM

no they didn't the tournament was in Conway hosted by CCU

Sandlapper Spike
May 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
no they didn't the tournament was in Conway hosted by CCU

That was the Big South tourney. The SoCon tourney was in Asheville.

The Cats
May 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
That was the Big South tourney. The SoCon tourney was in Asheville.

and UNC-A hosted the women's tournament, the men's tournament was held in the U.S. Cellular Center

fc97
May 3rd, 2013, 06:23 AM
unca didn't host the men's tournament, it was in the asheville civic center under contract with the city for a neutral site

unca did play host to some of the women's tournament games

unca is not a serious contender. winthrop would get the go ahead well before unca

the socon is looking for #3, mercer and etsu are already selected

Saint3333
May 3rd, 2013, 07:08 AM
VMI seems to think it's them. Citadel has strong armed the SoCon.

CID1990
May 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
This is a silly little thread.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Based on a silly article. Just was wondering if there was anything to it.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2013, 11:33 AM
This is a silly little thread.

Based on a silly article. Just was wondering if there was anything to it.

Bump. Maybe there is.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/may/09/departures-signal-changes-for-the-league-that-is/?sports

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga interim chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue said he wants the SoCon to "be aggressive" in its search for a replacement school. He said UNC-Asheville, which was previously considered, might be a possibility.

"I think that John will lead us right away toward exploring possible candidates," Bogue said. "I don't know if the presidents will be open to rethinking [previously considered schools]. UNC-Asheville might be one of those. It would be an expedited look because we're already familiar with UNC-Asheville."

As previously mentioned, I really fail to see how UNCA really helps the SoCon much. If they started football, yes. If they had a lot of money and students were clamoring for more athletics, yes. Aside from that, though, they seem like a charity case for the SoCon.

Skjellyfetti
May 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM
They don't play football, so not even sure why it's on this forum.

chattownmocs
May 10th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Bump. Maybe there is.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/may/09/departures-signal-changes-for-the-league-that-is/?sports

As previously mentioned, I really fail to see how UNCA really helps the SoCon much. If they started football, yes. If they had a lot of money and students were clamoring for more athletics, yes. Aside from that, though, they seem like a charity case for the SoCon.

It's pretty obvious isn't it? Chattanooga's idiotic Interim Chancellor is pushing them. Don't know why other than that they are right down the road but that seems to be who is wanting them. Even if it would benefit Chattanooga in some minute way, I'm not sure why this would be the program to push. What an asshole.

Sandlapper Spike
May 10th, 2013, 07:21 AM
As stated earlier, UNCA doesn't bring anything to the table for the SoCon. Before you say hoops, UNCA's longtime coach just left to take an assistant's job that will pay him more money than he was making at UNCA...

I'm glad UTC's interim chancellor is in fact "interim".

superman7515
May 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM
They don't play football, so not even sure why it's on this forum.

My sentiments exactly.

Saint3333
May 10th, 2013, 07:35 AM
As stated earlier, UNCA doesn't bring anything to the table for the SoCon.

That really doesn't seem to matter any longer. All you need is a coulple buddies to throw you a bone, results on the field be damned.

In all serioiusness though UNCA is a terrible choice.

elcid83
May 12th, 2013, 07:48 AM
If UNC-A is really in consideration, the SOCON is in much worse shape than any of us casual observers have remotely imagined.

Go Bulldogs!