PDA

View Full Version : No FCS Preview Mag This Year

superman7515
May 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Looks like Steele is getting out of the print business.

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS!
Due to unforeseen circumstances we will not be printing/publishing the Phil Steele 2013 NFL (or FCS) magazine, right now we are uncertain of its future status.

BEAR
May 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
It's the nature of print--high cost, old information, dwindling circulation.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, it's too bad but you just can't do much about it when the demand is not there. Glad I got a copy of each of the two that they did make.

bluehenbillk
May 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
I got an e-mail from them - he is still doing his FBS preview, which is bigger than ever this year. He may have some FCS stuff online, but no print preview...

LUHawker
May 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Unforeseen? Are you kidding me? He puts out a great product, but does zero marketing. It was obvious that this wasn't going to have sustainability without a business plan.

Bisonator
May 2nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Why not an online version?

mmiller_34
May 2nd, 2013, 01:00 PM

This was exactly my first thought too.

IBleedYellow
May 2nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
The FCS is dying!! Look the magazines that cover the FCS can't even stay in business!!!

Bisonator
May 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
The FCS is dying!! Look the magazines that cover the FCS can't even stay in business!!!

You forgot the sky is falling! xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Now we know why App State and Georgia Southern moved to the Sun Belt. They wanted their Phil Steele print coverage to continue.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
It's probably a time issue more so than a money one. His previews have a treasure trove of information and it's probably very time consuming.

RichH2
May 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
Guess I'll bronze the 2 issues. Will miss it. Hope that he does an online issue.

kdinva
May 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
xbadx

xflaggedx

SpeedkingATL
May 2nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
Guess we were lucky that he did it for the previous 2 years. Online edition would certainly make sense and would be much cheaper to produce, could be sold for less and hopefully increase readership. I would still participate even with App moving from FCS.

walliver
May 2nd, 2013, 03:49 PM

The NFL is dying!!! Look the magazines that cover the NFL can't stay in business!!!

I hope the Carolina Panthers are aggressively pursuing the Sunbelt's remaining opening.

Herder
May 2nd, 2013, 10:23 PM
The NFL is dying!!! Look the magazines that cover the NFL can't stay in business!!!

I hope the Carolina Panthers are aggressively pursuing the Sunbelt's remaining opening.

Last year during a Sirius Radio College Sports 091 interview, Phil Steele predicted 4 FCS wins vs FBS. In addition, he didn't have much positive to say for FCS (in my opinion) in its matchups with FBS. I expected Phil to at least be in the know, and be educated on the fact that the top 25 in FCS was very capable. I kinda expected someone who studied college football the way that he said he did (countless hours of research), that he would understand the FCS level, and show it some respect. Nope, I did not get that vibe.

He was a little short in his prediction . . . I think it ended being 11 or 12 wins.

By the way, it is sad that there is not an FCS show on channel 091, with coaches interviews, and discussion about the top matchups each week. You'd think they could take 1 hour away from the 50 hours/week talking Alabama and SEC football. I was actually told that if you called into one of their shows and wanted to talk FCS anything, you would not be put on the air.

bluehenbillk
May 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
To be fair, Steele shot himself in the foot last season, the preview came out way too late. Same thing happened years ago when another preview, although not in the same league as Steele, came out after the season started.

superman7515
May 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Guess you guys will just have to tune into the AGS Radio Show in August.

Bisonator
May 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
By the way, it is sad that there is not an FCS show on channel 091, with coaches interviews, and discussion about the top matchups each week. You'd think they could take 1 hour away from the 50 hours/week talking Alabama and SEC football. I was actually told that if you called into one of their shows and wanted to talk FCS anything, you would not be put on the air.

Couldn't agree more! With all of the college sports channels out there they all concentrate on the top 25 in FBS. Even the lower FBS gets no air time. You would think even they would get sick of talking about the same teams all the time!

Bisonator
May 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM

Get it on Sirius man! xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
May 3rd, 2013, 09:35 PM

Which is a delightful product. Even if can't catch it live, it's good info each week. Hope to see better Ivy and MEAC participation this season.

superman7515
May 3rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Which is a delightful product. Even if can't catch it live, it's good info each week. Hope to see better Ivy and MEAC participation this season.

Hey man, I thought I was doing a decent job there! Haha

ursus arctos horribilis
May 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM

He may have been thinking NEC and just mistakenly saying MEAC. The MEAC had weekly coverage and the job was done well.xthumbsupx

eiu1999
May 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM

RabidRabbit
May 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Supe lived up to his name/rep - You were everywhere, and did a great job on all.