PDA

View Full Version : Question?

spdram
September 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Concerning 1-AA Head Coaches. I'm sure many have left a 1-AA program to go to a 1-A program as a coordinator, etc, but does anyone know how many 1-AA HC's have moved directly into a HC position at a 1-A.

If available it would be great to know who, when, schools etc. Thanks in advance.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Terry Allen left a HC job at UNI for a HC job at Kansas.

Didn't work out so well, but he did it.

McNeese75
September 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I believe you will find one at Ohio State these days :nod:

griz37
September 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Paul Johnson from Georgia Southern is doing a pretty good job at Navy.
Montana coach Joe Glenn won a bowl game at Wyoming in his 2nd year there.

September 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I think 1-A and 1-AA are high school classifications. :lmao: ;)

In college they are called I-AA and something else... :p (until playoff time this year)

chattanoogamocs
September 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Tommy West coached one year at Chattanooga then went to Clemson (and is now at Memphis)

Joe Morrison went from Chattanooga to New Mexico (and then to South Carolina). He left after '79 and went to New Mexico in '80 while Chattanooga was IA (the SoCon didn't not officially join IAA until '82)...so I guess technically, that wouldn't count.

elkmcc
September 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Jim Donnan went from I-AA Marshall to HC of Georgia, Mick Dennehey from Griz HC to Utah St. HC. John L. Smith, Dennis Erickson, ...

GeauxColonels
September 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hal Mumme went from Southeastern to New Mexico State.

EKU05
September 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Hal Mumme went from Southeastern to New Mexico State.

Technically true, but he had already been the head coach at Kentucky in the SEC...and come to think of it they hired him away from D-II Valdosta State.

Old Cage
September 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Dick MacPherson went from UMass to Syracuse (where he had a terrific ten years) to the New England Patriots.

Of course, all that happened a few year ago.

Griswold
September 5th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Sparky Woods was HC at ASU before taking the HC job at South Carolina.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Bobby Johnson from Furman to Vanderbilt.

If I'm not mistaken there have been a few other Paladin head coaches that went directly to I-A HCs.

I think Dick Sheridan moved from Furman to North Carolina State. others?

OL FU
September 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Bobby Johnson from Furman to Vanderbilt.

If I'm not mistaken there have been a few other Paladin head coaches that went directly to I-A HCs.

I think Dick Sheridan moved from Furman to North Carolina State. others?

We have only had four coaches in our I-AA history. Sheridan, Satterfield, Johnson and Lamb.

Satterfield won the NC, was considered by his alma mater, South Carolina. It has always been my humble opinion when he lost that job to I think Sparky Woods, his motivation took a dive. :twocents:

Before that Art Baker went to the Citadel from Furman (This was the 70's and back then would have been like a Lehigh coach going to Lafayette).:eek: He then went on the East Carolina ( I think ) .

Cap'n Cat
September 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Earle Fat Ass Bruce went from Ohio State to Northern Iowa in the reverse of what you're asking. He **** the bed there and we were all happy he moved along.

Pard94
September 5th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Didn't Mark Duffner go right from Holy Cross to Maryland? I believe so.

spdram
September 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Thx guys, quite a few more than I was aware of, but still not a great # making the jump. I guess anyone has to consider it hard if they dangle enough money.

ASU Kep
September 5th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Paul Johnson went straight from GSU to Navy I think.

...and didn't our Mack Brown go straight from App to a I-A?