PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky rankings Week 1

JALMOND
September 4th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Every week I will try and rank the nine Big Sky schools based on their overall performance, all of which is open to discussion. After the first week, here are the conference rankings...

1. Montana---Not looking at the final score, but the fact that the Grizzlies were down 17-7 halfway through the third quarter to the 16th ranked team in I-A. Not a bad loss and enough to keep them as the team to beat.

2. Montana State---The win at Colorado moves the Bobcats to the second spot in the rankings. Some might say I should put the Cats at #1, but the Buffs have been down in recent years, have a new system, and only received one vote in the I-A coaches poll (the same number of votes as Duke).

3. Portland State---Impressive victory at New Mexico moves the Vikings to third. A strong team to watch as they open conference play this weekend against N. Colorado.

4. E. Washington---What happened to the Eagles? Yes, Oregon State is a Pac-10 team, but the Eagles made the Beavers look unstoppable. Being a top tier Big Sky team, I would have expected a much closer game against the Beavers. Scary thought, West Virginia is much better than Oregon State.

5. N. Arizona---Is Murietta back? The 'Jacks looked great against Arizona State, much better than last year. Could the 'Jacks be back?

6. Weber State---Loss to Colorado State keeps the Wildcats in the second tier. With Cal Poly coming to town this weekend can they get the win? Pretty iffy.

7. Idaho State---Loss to UNLV pretty much expected. Should get a win against Fort Lewis this weekend.

8. Sacramento St---Blowout loss to Boise State as expected. Off week to get prepared for Cal Poly, but for now keep them at eighth.

9. N. Colorado---While the rest of the conference was playing I-A teams, they were being blown out at home by Davis. A road game this weekend in Portland does not bode well, either. Could they surprise? Well, anything is possible.

GtFllsGriz
September 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I would put Montana State at #1 for this week. They beat a I-A team and deserve it this week. I agree that Colorado is no Iowa but a good win for the Cats and the Sky.

I would move both NAU and Weber over EWU as well. I was very impressed with NAU. Didn't see Weber but EWU did not look good.

I think overall you have the teams about where they will be in a couple of weeks but for this week I will stay with mine.

dbackjon
September 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I would put Montana State at #1 for this week. They beat a I-A team and deserve it this week. I agree that Colorado is no Iowa but a good win for the Cats and the Sky.

I would move both NAU and Weber over EWU as well. I was very impressed with NAU. Didn't see Weber but EWU did not look good.

I think overall you have the teams about where they will be in a couple of weeks but for this week I will stay with mine.

I'd agree with that - MSU, UM, PSU, NAU, WSU, EWU, ISU, CSUS, UNC.

DaGriz
September 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM

I agree completely. Either Murietta of NAU played out of his mind or the Murietta of old is back and watch out Big Sky.
I agree with MSU being at #1 as well. They beat last years co-Big 12 champ. That's enough for me to put them at #1 at this point. We kept the Iowa game respectable until the end. I think we go to #2. PSU at 3. Weber at 4 and EWU at 5. Either OSU is really really good or EWU is in big trouble this year. EWU looked terrible on both sides of the ball. To top it off, now they play West Virginia.

Obzerver
September 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Believe or not, EWU will look better vs #5 West Virginia than we did vs Oregon State. It won't be hard as long as we don't give them the ball inside our own 20 on the first four possessions. EWU had the deer-in-the-headlights syndrome and even though WV is better than OSU the jitters shouldn't be as bad. MSU/UM/PSU upper tier, EWU/NAU/ISU/WSU middle of pack then poor SAC/NCU.

eagle1
September 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
EWU will protect the ball better this week against WVU. We have alot of young players that played their first college football game last week and will be better this week because of it. Here is my take after the first week.

1. Portland State - I think that their defense will be the best in the Big Sky. If their offense can find ways to score they will be good this year.

2. Montana - They hung in there with one of the best teams in the country in Iowa and they will be better after that experience.

3. Montana State - This to me was a shocker but their defense is as good as advertised and it looks like they solved their QB situation.

4. Idaho State - They turned the ball over alot against a Mountain West team which usually means a lop-sided defeat. They are much better than what they showed.

5. Northern Arizona - It sounds like Murrietta is returning to old form and actually has some weapons in Alex Watson. Their defense is suspect and will need to prove itself this season.

6. Weber State - They had difficulty running the ball agaisnt CSU but I think they will get better at that rolling into the Big Sky season.

7. Eastern Washington - They will be much better heading into the Big Sky season. I think that their defense will be pretty solid but not this weekend vs WVU.

8. Sacramento State - Some things never change but I would think that they will be improved and their defense will be much better with the JC transfer d-lineman.

9. Northern Colorado - The new kid on the block still has some maturing to do but they will be competitive once Big Sky play starts.

This is how I see it at this point but I hope it changes for EWU's sake but early on I think Portland State might be the team to beat. Sorry Griz fans! Go Eagles!!!

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Seems to me that you have to put Montana State and PSU at the top of the list because of their impressive I-A wins.:twocents:

I Bleed Purple
September 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
7. Idaho State---Loss to UNLV pretty much expected. Should get a win against Fort Lewis this weekend.

Not according to this board. Was pleasantly surprised my 0-9 prediction did not come through, though.