PDA

View Full Version : Facilities Upgrades for Delaware Announced

superman7515
April 24th, 2013, 05:50 PM
http://www.bluehens.com/news/stories/2013/april/042413a.html

NEWARK, Del. -- Four facility improvement projects that will enhance the experience of thousands of University of Delaware students for years to come were announced by UD Director of Athletics and Recreation Services Eric Ziady Wednesday.

The projects include a major renovation of the Bob Hannah Baseball Stadium, including the installation of an artificial turf surface and a new scoreboard, dugouts, bullpens, and batting cages; the installation of a new all-weather outdoor track in the Delaware Mini-Stadium; the transformation of the Delaware Field House into a first-class indoor practice facility with an artificial turf surface; and the total resurfacing of two natural grass soccer practice fields that are also used for summer youth camps.

In addition to the four new projects, construction continues at the Carpenter Sports Building where a new 45,000-square-foot expansion to Delaware’s primary recreation facility for students and staff is taking place. Plans for the three-story expansion include new workout areas, group exercise rooms, offices, a student lounge,and an outdoor courtyard. The project is expected to be completed this fall when students return to campus.

93henfan
April 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah, that'll really be a boost for football recruiting.

superman7515
April 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Exactly. The new indoor practice facility will be nice, I guess, but considering the age of the building it's not going to be anything Earth shattering for recruits. As I surmised on the Blue Hens board, baseball (shockingly) is getting the lion's share of the cash.

93henfan
April 24th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Does Harker truly hate football, or does he merely give off that impression?

IBleedYellow
April 24th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Well, that's a bummer, although IPF will help.

superman7515
April 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Does Harker truly hate football, or does he merely give off that impression?

I have said from day one that Harker is against football. It's just taken some (not necessarily yourself) a little longer to come around to that. Just look at his history.

DSUrocks07
April 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM
UD to the A-10! So long football! xrotatehx

Go...gate
April 24th, 2013, 07:07 PM
UD should join the Patriot League.

93henfan
April 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I'm guessing UD goes MAC for football and A10 for everything else. Just a WAG really, but it seems to make the most sense to escape the sinking ship that is the CAA and maintain our "second tier" status in football once the BCS elites form their own tier.

There's been some message board speculation that UMass, UD, Ohio, and Buffalo could eventually be a four-team click for bouncing around in eastern conferences as appropriate. I'd love to stay linked up with JMU and ODU for football in some fashion, but the geographic spread of the C-USA or Sunbelt is not appealing at all.

And of course, if one night while I was snoring and drooling and in REM sleep, the ACC came calling, well that would be a wet dream. While we pale in athletic comparison, we do fit the geographic footprint, with Atlantic oceanfront property, and we have solid public school academic credentials.

Pard4Life
April 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
What happened to the complete renovation of Raymond Field and the stadium? Weren't they supposed to enclose the field and build a glass facade? Or did I miss something?

MplsBison
April 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM
http://www.bluehens.com/news/stories/2013/april/042413a.html

Any more details on the indoor facility?

The Delaware Field House project will transform the facility into a first-class indoor practice complex and complete the renovations that in recent years have included a new lighting system, heating and air conditioning improvements, the addition of solar panels, and structural improvements.

What are we talking here, size wise - full sized football field? And will there be an indoor track or a field only?

93henfan
April 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM
What happened to the complete renovation of Raymond Field and the stadium? Weren't they supposed to enclose the field and build a glass facade? Or did I miss something?

Yeah, that was about five years ago. The infamous watercolor drawings. Horseshoe of the north end zone, new athletic performance center under the horseshoe addition, new press box/luxury suites over the west stands (home side) with a complete new facade on that side, and a total capacity increase from 23,000 to 30-35,000.

Then they instituted the UDAF mandatory donations, concurrent with the great recession and Chrysler Newark, GM Wilmington, and MBNA Bank Headquarters all shuttering their doors. Bad move. Our season ticket fanbase dropped by almost 50%.

Ivytalk
April 26th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Harker knows how important preservation of the Piss Wall and a Fenway Park-vintage press box are to fundraising.xrotatehx