PDA

View Full Version : SLC Expansion Update

TexasTerror
June 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
No surprise here. UCA and A&M-CC are moving on in the expansion process, though the SLC says that no schools are eliminated from the process at this point. We'll see what happens.

UCA obviously needs track and according to their web site, "Women's Track will be added starting with the 2005 Fall semester, and Men's Track will follow in the 2006 Fall semester." Those additions bold well for UCA. Only sport that SLC does not have which UCA does have is mens' soccer. A&M-CC on the other hand is already an affiliate member in mens' tennis. Solid programs in basketball and tennis. Would be a nice addition. A&M-CC lacks mens' golf. Would be nice to see them add that and womens' soccer.

----------
Southland Conference Advances with Decisions on Membership Issues

League will continue discussions with Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and the University of Central Arkansas.

June 7, 2005

PLANO, Texas - The Southland Conference Board of Directors has determined the league will continue potential membership discussions with Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and the University of Central Arkansas.

The institutions were among five invited to give presentations to the Board on May 21 in Houston. The Board of Directors, which consists of the presidents of Southland institutions, met again June 3 at the Southland Conference Spring Meetings in Galveston, Texas, to review the information from the May 21 gathering. Those discussions led to the decision to continue talks with Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and the University of Central Arkansas. The Board deferred decisions at this time on other institutions.

"The Board members sincerely appreciate the interest shown by so many institutions, all of which have great athletic traditions and have outstanding futures," Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said. "The Board did not reject any institution in this process, but did reach a consensus level to continue its conversations with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Central Arkansas. We look forward to the discussions with these universities in the coming months."

While the Board of Directors has not yet set a firm timeline, the league will form visitation teams to travel to both campuses this summer. It is likely the visitation teams will tour athletic and academic facilities, review compliance programs, and meet with leaders from the campus and local business communities.

http://southland.collegesports.com/genrel/060705aaa.html

Sly Fox
June 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I'm curious what further discussions they need. As for the Islanders, I'm guessing adding a golf team could be done fairly easily as long as they can keep their Title IX in order.

txstatebobcat
June 7th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I also remember reading that A&M-CC could add or at least start the process for adding football by 2010.

TexasTerror
June 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Here's an excerpt to what your talking about bobcat from a CC paper...

At a Southland Conference expansion meeting in Houston Saturday afternoon, A&M-Corpus Christi was able to present its case for inclusion into the conference. Islanders officials also were able to give an answer to the football question - maybe, in a few years, perhaps.

In a meeting geared to conference expansion, one of the first questions after A&M-Corpus Christi's slide presentation involved football. Specifically, members of the football-conscious conference wanted to know if the Islanders perhaps had considered adding that sport.

A&M-Corpus Christi, which always has said football would be added - if at all - years and years down the line, gave a different answer than in the past. Athletic director Dan Viola said university president Flavius Killebrew handled the question, and answered that football had not been ruled out, and that the university wanted to reach an enrollment of 10,000 before a Division I-AA program might be started.

Killebrew's projection for a 10,000 enrollment: 2010.

txstman
June 8th, 2005, 09:08 AM
The president said that to move his case forward for TAMU-CC. It is clear that while they may consider it, they have no intention of actually adding football. The department itself has four people in its administration. It will quickly degenerate into chaos if they do not supplement their administration with at least 10 more positions that are normally found in a DI athletic department. If they want football, they will have to add more.

But decent choices to move forward with. Makes me believe that one of the current conference members are closer to adding football than we believe. Nine is much better than eight.

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I'd be more than willing to accept a job in the A&M-CC athletic administration! :)

Sly Fox
June 8th, 2005, 11:40 AM
txstman -- While I bet there is some validity to your comments regarding the president's intentions, its purely speculation. Its not like he is saying they intend toget the ball rolling for a footbal program right away.

As for the athletic department staff size, I am guessing that if they get admission into the Southland it will help them cut down on their ridiculous travel costs right now enabling them to add staff without significantly adjusting the budget. As an independent, its tough to justify major department expenditures at this point in their development.

arkstfan
June 8th, 2005, 11:52 AM
For anyone interested found a fan website for UCA that has photos of the stadium.
http://www.ucafans.com/facilities/estes.php

Football complex
http://www.ucafans.com/facilities/pepsi.php

Basketball arena
http://www.ucafans.com/facilities/bask.php

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM
A&M-CC has it up on their web site and it discusses when they would be able to come into the conference (2006) and how the process is going to work itself out in terms of the next step for their university.

I also wanted to note that UCA won their conference's All-Womens' title, got second in All-Mens' and won the All-Sports (if such a thing exists).
---------
TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI ADVANCES IN QUEST TO OBTAIN SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE AFFILIATION

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi is one of two universities being considered for membership in the Southland Conference. The University of Central Arkansas is the other.

The selection follows a presentation made by five institutions to the Southland Conference Board of Directors on May 21 in Houston.

"We are extremely pleased with the Southland Conference Board of Directors’ decision to continue membership discussions," said University President Flavius Killebrew. "If we attain this affiliation, it will help the University’s athletic programs, the visibility of the University, and even the status of the greater Corpus Christi community."

The league will form visitation teams to travel to both campuses this summer, where they will likely tour athletic and academic facilities, review compliance programs, and meet with leaders from the campus and local business communities, according to Conference officials.

If selected for the conference, A&M-Corpus Christi will start participating in fall 2006. Teams would include baseball, volleyball, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, Southland Advances Membership Issue
women’s golf, men’s track and field/cross country, women’s track and field/cross country and women’s tennis. The University’s men’s tennis team is already in the conference, and the softball team currently is part of the Big South Conference.

Conference members are located in Texas and Louisiana. Texas schools include University of Texas-Arlington, Texas State University in San Marcos, University of Texas-San Antonio, Sam Houston State in Huntsville, Lamar University in Beaumont and Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches. Louisiana Schools include McNeese State in Lake Charles, Nicholls State in Thibodaux, Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond, University of Louisiana-Monroe, who is leaving the Southland Conference to the Sun Belt Conference, and Northwestern State in Natchitoches.

http://www.goislanders.com/press_release.cfm?pass_num=B30D459F-797A-455B-9DCF-E64CC038A6F3

Charlie Don't Surf
June 9th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Looks like UT-Pan Am is out of the running. Or were they ever a serious contender?

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Looks like UT-Pan Am is out of the running. Or were they ever a serious contender?

No one is out of the running yet. For the time being, those are the schools who are getting the most consideration. We'll see what happens here in the months, years to come...

arkstfan
June 9th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I can't believe the SLC had any serious interest in UTPA. Travel to Edinbugh isn't easy and their facilities lag behind the SLC facilities I've seen (though most I've only seen in photos).

treyuca
June 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Only sport that SLC does not have which UCA does have is mens' soccer.
The thing is -- Men's Soccer is one of UCA's best programs. Two of the last three years the team has made it to at least the NCAA quarterfinals.

As you mentioned, the athletic program as a whole is near the top of the conference. The administration is doing a great job preparing for the move... if everything works out of course.

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Some news from A&M-CC about when the SLC will be visiting both UCA and A&M-CC. Good to see the conference is taking this process seriously and jumping right at scheduling these visits. A short article, so I'll post the whole thing...
--------
Islanders prepare for Southland Conference visit

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
June 18, 2005

In less than a month, some much-awaited visitors will be stopping by Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said Friday that the Southland's site-visit team will be in Corpus Christi on Thursday, July 14 and Friday, July 15. The group is part of the ongoing expansion process in which the Southland asked for letters of interest from potential members, reviewed presentations and made a list to two schools that will receive visits.

Central Arkansas, the other school remaining with expansion hopes, will host a visit on July 19 and 20.

While the dates are set, a few details still are in the air. With a national athletic directors' convention this week, Burnett said some Southland members haven't been contacted on visiting schools. That means the visit teams haven't been completely assembled, and detailed itineraries haven't been set.

"We'll likely be in town late on the 14th," Burnett said. "We want to meet some of the people on campus, and we want to get out in the community.

"This is still part of the information-gathering process. We have some people who have been to Corpus Christi, and some who have not. We have some who have been to Conway (Ark.) and some who have not. This will give people an opportunity to get a feel for the communities."

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Southland Conference decides not to pursue Centenary
June 8, 2005
By Jimmy Watson

[email protected]

The third time apparently wasn't the charm for Centenary College when it came to joining the Southland Conference.

The SLC announced on Tuesday it would defer its decision on Centenary, Tarleton State and Texas-Pan American while continuing possible expansion discussions with the University of Central Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

"It wasn't a vote to reject anyone; it was a vote to defer any decision,'' SLC Commissioner Tom Burnett said. "Our next step is to visit the other two schools (Central Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi) over the summer.''

Said Centenary Athletic Director Taylor Moore: "We're a little disappointed because we feel that Centenary College and the Shreveport-Bossier City area could have brought some things to the SLC table. But joining the SLC would not have been an easy move for us due to sports sponsorship and budgetary issues and we're in a conference that we're perfectly happy being a member of."

Centenary was rejected by the SLC in both 1998 and in 1999 after leaving the Trans America Athletic Conference. The Gents and Ladies athletic programs struggled in independent status until the school joined the Mid-Con in August of 2003.

The Southland is considering possible expansion in the wake of Louisiana-Monroe's defection to the Sun Belt Conference. ULM will play its final season in the Southland in all sports except football in 2005-06 and begin Sun Belt play in all sports in 2006-07.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050608/SPORTS02/506080309/1001/SPORTS

Charlie Don't Surf
June 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Looks like UT-Pan Am is indeed out of the running.

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Southland Conference decides not to pursue Centenary

Here we are several years later and Centenary is still hoping to get into the conference and now it could impact their ability to stay at the Div I level.

I posted this related to their attempt...

4686.20 in reply to 4686.19

1. Centenary may not be a Div I school by the time the SLC looks to expand.

2. Their budget situation is less than stellar. They do not fully fund all their sports. Yes, some of the La. schools in the SLC do not fund all their sports, but Centenary does so at a lesser rate.

3. With the budget concerns and inability to properly fund what they have, how does this boost our RPI? The SLC has taken steps forward, particularly in hoops and baseball. Centenary is like adding another bottom-feeder in those sports.

4. They would have to change their sports offerings. It is a shame since some of the programs they have presently that would need cutting do have history. I hate to see sports cut.

5. Until proven otherwise, lack of commitment to the future and growth of their athletic program. SLC schools - from top to bottom - even the lower funded ones - have improved facilities. Does Centenary have plans to keep up?

NSUDemon98
June 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Looks like UT-Pan Am is indeed out of the running.

Good.

mikebigg
June 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
With the SWAC's 9 game mandate, some GSU "posters" on other boards have thrown out the "what if we went to the Southland" question. Personally, I have mixed emotions especially if the scheduling would mean that we no longer could play the Bayou Classic and also, don't wanna miss out on playing Alcorn and Jackson two old rivalries as well.

"What If" the Western Division of the SWAC (5 teams joined) and the new league went to a Divisional Format? Not thinking any of this will happen, but what's the thinking of SLC fans?

McNeese75
June 29th, 2009, 11:58 AM
With the SWAC's 9 game mandate, some GSU "posters" on other boards have thrown out the "what if we went to the Southland" question. Personally, I have mixed emotions especially if the scheduling would mean that we no longer could play the Bayou Classic and also, don't wanna miss out on playing Alcorn and Jackson two old rivalries as well.

"What If" the Western Division of the SWAC (5 teams joined) and the new league went to a Divisional Format? Not thinking any of this will happen, but what's the thinking of SLC fans?

Grambling would be a great addition to the SLC but I think there is way too much tradition for the school to make the move and give it up.

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Grambling and its fans would have a rough time in the SLC. Football may not, but I have got to figure that the other sports would suffer.

Grambling would lose their rivalries and more importantly, their ability to compete across all sports. Budget-wise, a growing portion of the SLC has 40-60% more budget than them at minimum. The Louisiana schools not so much, but this league is slanted to the 'west' with the Texas schools who command large budgets.

Dallas Demon
June 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Grambling would be a great addition to the SLC but I think there is way too much tradition for the school to make the move and give it up.

I agree. Grambling has too much to lose by leaving the SWAC. Although if they chose to leave they would likely not have any issue with being picked up by the Southland.

mikebigg
June 30th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Grambling and its fans would have a rough time in the SLC. Football may not, but I have got to figure that the other sports would suffer.
Grambling would lose their rivalries and more importantly, their ability to compete across all sports. Budget-wise, a growing portion of the SLC has 40-60% more budget than them at minimum. The Louisiana schools not so much, but this league is slanted to the 'west' with the Texas schools who command large budgets.

Never pass on an opportunity to put down on others, huh? We've made coaching changes in Baseball, M&W basketball that we feel good about. Just finished second in the overall in the Commissioner's Cup but actually was first in the men's sports.

How did SHSU do over there in terms of other sports? I know football isn't contending much these days.

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Never pass on an opportunity to put down on others, huh? We've made coaching changes in Baseball, M&W basketball that we feel good about. Just finished second in the overall in the Commissioner's Cup but actually was first in the men's sports.

How is this a slap on others? We've got to talk about the whole enchilada if we are talking expansion.

The SLC has said recently that they will not let a member just play football in the SLC (i.e. Troy, Jax St about a decade ago) and not the other sports or play football in another conference, but all other sports in the league (i.e ULM).

The SLC RPI in all sports, particularly baseball (we put two teams in this year) and basketball - is on the rise.

Can not say the same for the SWAC, where even the pundits of the league admit that the main sport of football has gone backwards as of late. Grambling plays in a conference that is at the bottom of RPI in most sports. This much is true and can be proven.

It would definitely take further steps up for Grambling to compete on a regular basis in most other sports. They would also have to stop playing games at sub-Div I schools (as they have in Olympic sports).

Throw in the fact the school is further behind in budgeting and with the problems in Louisiana, could fall even further behind - it would spell trouble. Takes money to run an athletic department and Grambling is just not up to par with a large portion of the league, some of the La. schools included.

How did SHSU do over there in terms of other sports? I know football isn't contending much these days.

Men's basketball has been the most consistent program in the league since our coach came in. Baseball has THREE straight NCAA appearance. T&F has a handful or so of league titles over the last few years and had six athletes qualify for NCAA nationals this year (SWAC had what - one?) to lead the SLC.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Can not say the same for the SWAC, where even the pundits of the league admit that the main sport of football has gone backwards as of late. Grambling plays in a conference that is at the bottom of RPI in most sports. This much is true and can be proven.

Speaking of backwards. Please tell me Bearkat faitful were lying about the onside kick that actually went backwards last season. xlolx xlolx xlolx

"A Clown of a head coach who is so bad at Special Teams preparation that when he attempts an onsides kick it actually GOES BACKWARDS behind our team on the kickoff and for extra fun.. this was all on regional broadcast Television on Fox Sports for all to enjoy! The first time I ever saw announcers.... actually speechless! They honestly did not know what to say!"

T&F has a handful or so of league titles over the last few years and had six athletes qualify for NCAA nationals this year (SWAC had what - one?) to lead the SLC.

How many Indoor/Outdoor NCAA National Champions has the SLC produced over the decade? xcoffeex

McNeese75
June 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM

I do think Gambling would produce a better football product if they were in the SLC (IMO)

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I do think Gambling would produce a better football product if they were in the SLC (IMO)

Agreed.

Speaking of backwards. Please tell me Bearkat faitful were lying about the onside kick that actually went backwards last season. xlolx xlolx xlolx

It's true... xnonono2x

How many Indoor/Outdoor NCAA National Champions has the SLC produced over the decade? xcoffeex

One in 2007, one in 2008 on the men's side. Same guy - won 10,000 meters. If last decade includes 1999 (not sure of your counting), add the 1999 hammer. Moving indoors, 2008 (5000 meters) and 2007 pole vault - both on men's side. Not including 1999, that's four in the last decade.

Keep in mind, we're talking about the whole enchilada. You can find one area if you want to nit-picked, but if we are talking about a school moving from the SWAC to the SLC, we need to review several things.

1) Athletic performance across all sports.
2) Athletic facilities across all sports
3) Athletic budget and potential budget

In each category, Grambling would find themselves in the bottom third, especially with the soccer, baseball and softball upgrades of the last few years in the league. Throw in the increasing RPI of the league in the main sports of basketball and baseball, plus the national competitiveness (increasing amount of wins over "BCS" conferences in baseball and basketball)...