PDA

View Full Version : Maine @ Youngstown State Thread

FlyYtown
September 3rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Since this is the first game for Maine and the first test for the Penguins, I'd like to get the I-AA fans thoughts on this game.

I don't know much on Maine, are they run/pass/equal? Any big wins in the last few years? Any shot at beating YSU?

I hope to see 16,000 at Stambaugh again this week, this time it depends on the weather..and it looks nice... The OSU-Texas game is at 8, so that won't hurt the attendance....

So predictions, etc...

AppGuy04
September 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
YSU should win this one, but I'm worried about their defense after the SR performance

Mountain Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Since this is the first game for Maine and the first test for the Penguins, I'd like to get the I-AA fans thoughts on this game.

I don't know much on Maine, are they run/pass/equal? Any big wins in the last few years? Any shot at beating YSU?

I hope to see 16,000 at Stambaugh again this week, this time it depends on the weather..and it looks nice... The OSU-Texas game is at 8, so that won't hurt the attendance....

So predictions, etc...

You won't blow 'em out but I see no problem with YSU posting a 30-10 win.

FlyYtown
September 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
YSU should win this one, but I'm worried about their defense after the SR performance

I am just worried about what I saw, not that 21 was put up on them. The other 7-8 possessions were 2 minutes or less and 6 plays or left. So they really did play great defense for most of the 2nd half and all but 2 drives in the first. They got some studs on defense who did not have good games... They are better against the run than the pass.... and Slippery Rock mixed it up well and confused the daylights out of our defense as a whole!

They need to play a total 4 quarters and get those opening game jitters out!

Mountain Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Maine did put up 47 points in the last regular season game of the year (lost 59-47) against a UNH team (in NH) that was headed for a #1 seed in the playoffs.

art vandelay
September 3rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
i actually understand that maines last two touchdowns in that games were scored against unh's 2nd and 3rd D. however i believe maine will be a tough team this season and are not a team to be overlooked

RadMann
September 3rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Maine beat Mississippi State but that was two years ago....

Champs
September 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Cmon Fly, Heacock played so many players the 1st half it was a freaking scrimmage. Looked like a Chinese firedrill. And they showed nothing on O or D.

I don't see Maine as being dangerous and YSU is absloutely loaded. Everyone is back from the NCAA screwed GFC Championship team of last year. Now if Heacock gets the killer instinct that he lacked last year and lets the team destroy people instead of pulling the starters early, its going to be real enjoyable. :D :D :D

Henny
September 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
You have to understand this is Maine's fortey. They play for games like this. Obviously the win against Miss. State was the big one but they also gave Nebraska in Lincoln everything they can handle (I got laughed at when I predicted a close game).
Playing in Youngstown(we respect them) wont phase them. They love coming to Del. Stadium with this attitude. They are coached to play with every ounce of emotion they have for theses games. You may see Jack Cosgrove out to the hashmarks if he can get away with it and they will come away with unnecessary penalties but they will give you everything they have. Maine has an exelent QB, traditionally a few good skill players and solid lines.

From the experience of a UD fan- Expect a Bear Fight.

WMTribe90
September 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Maine is typically tough on defense and physical. They also have a knack for playing well on the road in the underdog role. Wins at App State and Miss St. in recent years back that up. YSU should be favored, but I'd put the spread at about 10 points.

blukeys
September 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
To paraphrase Churchill, every year Maine is a mystery wrapped around a riddle inside of an enigma.

You can't predict Maine anymore than you can predict the weather for 2 hours in Maine. Even within a season they are capable of playing great or absolutely stinking the place up from week to week. I have watched Maine teams for many years now and they defy description. I have seen great Maine teams (Mike Buck anyone????) just absolutely die in Newark.

I have seen unheralded Maine teams take it to the Hens. Maine will be be strong and physical after that you are on your own. :nod: :nod: :nod:

mainejeff
September 4th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I'm hoping that having a 4 year starter at QB will help keep Maine in the game. It should be competitive so I'll say Youngstown 27 Maine 17.

GoGuins
September 4th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I see a close game, YSU needs to work on their run D this week

aust42
September 4th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Maine will be a very tough opponent, after all they play in the toughest Div 1AA conference in the land (just a little friendly smack talk) and always fair well. Historically speaking. their always very physical and play disciplined football. As is the case this week, Maine never shy's away from scheduling tough out of conference competition. This should be a very competetive game. I'll be routing for my fellow A-10 brother Maine but wish the Penquins an injury free and clean contest! Good luck against Penn State the following week!

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Maine will be a very tough opponent, after all they play in the toughest Div 1AA conference in the land (just a little friendly smack talk) and always fair well.

I'd contest that statement anyday of the week. I believe the Gateway Conf. is the toughest in the land the last few years and will be the same this year. The talent the mid-west breeds is exemplified in the style of hard nosed football the gateway displays.

aust42
September 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Valid arguments can be made between A-10, Gateway and SoCon 1AA brothers on whose the best conference. This year is no different. As a Delaware fan I'll bring up the past and note the 2003 destruction of Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa on our way to the 1AA Championship. Last time we played Youngstown in 1998 resulted in a 30-20 victory. I'd love to see some home/home series between our conferences but don't think that's the case in the near future. I guess it's up to Maine/Youngstown to settle the "argument" this week. Good luck!

Paladin1aa
September 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I'll be surprised if its close. More to the point, will be looking if YSU can be held down in scoring this year. There could be some records set this year on O.

The D is fine. Would predict right now Maine will have to throw to be in the game and if they do, we''ll have them by the short hairs. Most starters are back and we lead the GFC in major areas last year. Should be even better this year.

ChickenMan
September 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
The top team (according to YSU fans) in Gateway vs a middle of the pack A10 team... should be a good match... ;) :p :D

birdsflyhigh
September 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
A valid arguement can be made for the Gateway, So-Con or the A-10 as the top 3 I-AA conferences over a number of years now. I have a feeling, when the dust settles after this season, the Gateway will be this year's TOP conference. Hey, even IN St. gave Purdue a run for their money the other day, and I think the Sycs will either beat or be a big handful for EIU.

Here rooting for my Gateway brother YSU Penguins to show the A-10's Maine who's who this year. YSU works on their defense, and this game could be a nice statement for the Gateway. :cool:

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I think YSU will show how strong they are this week. Offense needs little if any tweaking... The defense knows they must come up big and I think the Senior Leadership will do that.

How many teams in I-AA Have 29 seniors besides YSU????? I don't think many if any!

PapaBear
September 4th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Hey 'Guin fans ... Where can we Mainers set up our Colemans and coolers before the game? What time does tailgating usually get under way?

Need a little guidance. Thanks ... PB

SunCoastBlueHen
September 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I think Maine is this year's sleeper team in the A-10. As such, I predict they earn a one touchdown win over an over-confident Penguin team.

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hey 'Guin fans ... Where can we Mainers set up our Colemans and coolers before the game? What time does tailgating usually get under way?

Need a little guidance. Thanks ... PB
Hey I was just talking someone down at YSU who can help you...
Tomorrow during the daytime hours... 9am-5pm

Call 330-941-1YSU. Ask for, I guess you can ask for a guy who helped me before, BJ Duckworth

You would have to buy a $15 Dollar Tailgate Pass per car and you'd be in the lower Lot: M-7. Which is just 2 more minutes away from the stadium, but where the visitors always go. Tailgating begins at 10AM.. And remember you CAN NOT bring your own beer/alcoholic beverages into the lot. So don't even ATTEMPT to hide it and bring it in. Its a state law and is now being instituted across the border at Penn State; but you can buy almost every beer/wine/liquor around by a cart that comes around for a good price. Just want to give you that heads up. Park on the left side of the lot for the reserved tailgates.....

Email me at [email protected]
and visit: www.ysusports.com

That should be plenty of info for you...

McNeese75
September 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I think YSU will show how strong they are this week. Offense needs little if any tweaking... The defense knows they must come up big and I think the Senior Leadership will do that.

How many teams in I-AA Have 29 seniors besides YSU????? I don't think many if any!

You better get it this year cause 2007 is gonna be a biotch for the Guins :D

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
You better get it this year cause 2007 is gonna be a biotch for the Guins :D
I donno how big of a bitch it will be. Yes we will lose a ton of seniors; 2 of which our star running backs.

BUT.

We will have then: 4 year starting qb Tom Zetts back, as well as a few solid running backs such as Jabari Scott who played 5A Football in Texas and rushed for over 2000 yards down there. We also have ALL STAR TE Louis Irizarry back; and who's to say we won't see a transfer come here.

I AGREE WE MUST WIN THIS YEAR, but next year isn't as bad as it sounds.

mainejeff
September 4th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Anyone from Youngstown know why this went from a home and home series to 1 game at Youngstown? Was it a future schedule conflict and Maine was "bought out"? I find it hard to believe that Maine would just agree to one game in Ohio unless Youngstown made a deal ($$$) with them.

blukeys
September 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Anyone from Youngstown know why this went from a home and home series to 1 game at Youngstown? Was it a future schedule conflict and Maine was "bought out"? I find it hard to believe that Maine would just agree to one game in Ohio unless Youngstown made a deal ($$$) with them.

Maybe Maine needed a game very bad since thier AD screwed up and Cosgrove had to do some scheduling. I don't know. It should have been Home and Home but the Black Bears appeared desperate some months back and maybe YSU took advantage. :nod: :nod:

mainejeff
September 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Maybe Maine needed a game very bad since thier AD screwed up and Cosgrove had to do some scheduling. I don't know. It should have been Home and Home but the Black Bears appeared desperate some months back and maybe YSU took advantage. :nod: :nod:

No, Lock Haven ditched Maine (very late) for more money from Southern Illinois. Lock Haven was replaced (very late) by Shaw on Sept.23.

I believe that Youngstown was originally traveling to Maine this season (way back) but who knows? I don't think the 2 scheduling issues were related. Youngstown's games at Ohio State in 2007 and 2008 may have played into it.

penguinfan
September 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM
If I understood correctly, YSU was offered a last minute deal with Pitt last year and bought the contract from Maine. Given how the Pitt game went, I wish we would have kept Maine!!:bang:

mainejeff
September 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
If I understood correctly, YSU was offered a last minute deal with Pitt last year and bought the contract from Maine. Given how the Pitt game went, I wish we would have kept Maine!!:bang:

That's right.......it was the Pitt game. So Youngstown would have come to Orono last season.

Cap'n Cat
September 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Cap'n Cat's heart says:

Maine 19
YSU 17

but his head says,

YSU 24
Maine 13

Always go with the head.

HENJOHN
September 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
YSU begins their work on eventual return to the Playoffs with a 23-17 win.

ysubigred
September 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
YSU-31 MAINE-24:hurray:

FlyYtown
September 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I really do think YSU will win around 40s to teens. YSU will score a ton of points in this game and most games this season; I also will like to think the defense will be playing their best, and if they do, I think we can hold Maine to around 17 points.

YSU 42
Maine 17

aust42
September 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Just curious. What's up with the tailgate rule? You can't bring your own alcohol but they'll sell it to you? I can't imagine the NCAA condoning the sale of alcohol at a college sporting event.

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
ysu by at least 2 possesions.

FlyYtown
September 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Just curious. What's up with the tailgate rule? You can't bring your own alcohol but they'll sell it to you? I can't imagine the NCAA condoning the sale of alcohol at a college sporting event.

It is a state law that you can't bring alcoholic beverages onto a state parking lot as YSU's all are. YSU and 1 other Ohio State School went up against it, but the big schools like OSU said NO for some stupid reason.

YSU uses the Beverage House for all your alcoholic needs: ITS ALL NON-PROFIT!

It is stupid, but don't get caught because I've seen people who have and they had to let the beer sit stranded all day long!!!

Just obey the rules..
GO PENGUINS

mainejeff
September 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Maine/Youngstown preview is up on the Maine website:

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090406aaa.html

birdsflyhigh
September 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the link mainejeff. Maine has a nice site. Going to go with YSU with a three td victory. YSU Peguins 38 Maine Black Bears 17

If the Guins get their defense worked out, then the score could be a bit wider. Here's to a good and injury free game. xsmileyclapx

Keeper
September 6th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Good game shaping up here.
Y'town 28, Maine 20.

FlyYtown
September 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Here is the Game Notes/Preview from YSUSports.com which got a new site which looks great!

Here is the notes: http://ysusports.com/football/2006/notes.pdf

GoGuins
September 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I thought you were allowed to bring in your own beer to the tailgate lots this year? Schools with under 15k enrollment were allowed to do so, "The Youngstown Rule"? Or is that not in effect this year?

Someone who tailgated in the lots last week please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to the ticket office today so I'll ask

GoGuins
September 6th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Former Maine player Antoine Smith is coaching the D-Line for YSU and was in yesterday's press conference

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/coaches/smith.htm

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/index.htm
Link "Press Conference Audio" (about 9:20 mark of the audio)

89Hen
September 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I really do think YSU will win around 40s to teens.
I do think YSU will win this one, but your D did give up some yards and point to Slippery Rock. Their TD's came on drives of 86, 80 and 62 yards and fumbled on two drives of 47 and 33 yards. I didn't see the game, but it would seem your D was a little vulnerable through the air and Maine does have a very capable QB. They are very young at WR, but I think they could be good on O. I think 30s to 20s might be closer (if the margin is that much).

FlyYtown
September 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
We gave up maybe around 100 or so yards on the ground, at least that is what the TV Said. Our defense knows they must pick it up, because they have a solid 2nd team right behind them who can easily take their jobs away.

And the RULE IS STILL IN EFFECT ON BEER. I talked with BJ Duckworth down at YSU who made sure to tell everyone on here who was interested in tailgating to not bring any beer, because they will not let it in.

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
And the RULE IS STILL IN EFFECT ON BEER. I talked with BJ Duckworth down at YSU who made sure to tell everyone on here who was interested in tailgating to not bring any beer, because they will not let it in.

'Nother reason to go to Georgia Southern on October 21............

What gives, man? What's YSU w/o tailgating and beer????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hard to believe........

FlyYtown
September 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
'Nother reason to go to Georgia Southern on October 21............

What gives, man? What's YSU w/o tailgating and beer????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hard to believe........

Like I previously stated you can still buy beer and all the alcohol you can imagine off a cart which comes around. They come to you and write down what you want, and how much of it. Then they bring it to you, you pay or give a card to send the check too.

It hurt when it happened because YSU tailgating is a fun thing thats for sure. That UNI game will be the biggest for tailgating: IT IS HOMECOMING!!!