PDA

View Full Version : Liberty's Three Game Schedule

DuaneAllmanLives
April 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
After giving Liberty's 2013 football schedule some serious thought it becomes clear that they essentially have a three game schedule. The three games are: @Richmond 9/21, @ODU 10/5, and Coastal Carolina 10/19. I realize that Liberty has a twelve-game schedule but the three games mentioned against Richmond, ODU, and Coastal Carolina are essentially the giants on the schedule (Coastal Carolina being Liberty's roadblock to a Big South title). Gaining wins against quality FCS programs is a must for Liberty if they plan on gaining credibility on the gridiron (not to say that Liberty hasn't had some big wins), Richmond and ODU provide that opportunity this season, a win against Coastal Carolina practically guarantees a trip to the FCS playoffs (unless Liberty blows it against other Big South teams that they should beat). However, adding wins against teams like Richmond and ODU goes a long way in the world that is FCS.It's always nice to have a win against an FBS opponent but it really doesn't matter if Liberty beats Kent State or not, what matters is the wins against quality FCS opponents and of course beating Coastal Carolina which is not a sure thing.

xchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratc hxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscra tchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinsc ratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchx

bjtheflamesfan
April 21st, 2013, 01:07 PM
I think Liberty has a better chance beating CCU this year because of the one thing that differentiates that game from the other two you mentioned...its at home, where Liberty has not lost to a Big South team in almost 7 years. Since CCU won 27-21 in triple overtime in 2005 (the year Liberty went 1-10), Liberty has beaten Coastal 37-24, 58-13 and 63-27 (outscoring them 42-7 in the second half in 2009 and 42-7 in the first half in 2011). Williams Stadium has been a house of horrors for conference teams (save the PC and VMI games in 2011, which Liberty STILL won), and I dont expect that to be any different this year. I think it more comes down to the ODU and Richmond games than the CCU game at this point

DuaneAllmanLives
April 21st, 2013, 02:49 PM
I think Liberty has a better chance beating CCU this year because of the one thing that differentiates that game from the other two you mentioned...its at home, where Liberty has not lost to a Big South team in almost 7 years. Since CCU won 27-21 in triple overtime in 2005 (the year Liberty went 1-10), Liberty has beaten Coastal 37-24, 58-13 and 63-27 (outscoring them 42-7 in the second half in 2009 and 42-7 in the first half in 2011). Williams Stadium has been a house of horrors for conference teams (save the PC and VMI games in 2011, which Liberty STILL won), and I dont expect that to be any different this year. I think it more comes down to the ODU and Richmond games than the CCU game at this point

I should have been more clear, I believe that Liberty has a great chance of beating Coastal Carolina at home as you mentioned, but what I was trying to say is that Coastal Carolina has to be considered one of the three giants on the schedule because if we don't win that game there is a better chance that we won't win the Big South and therefore no playoffs again this season for the Flames.

It's a three game schedule but in two parts. First, by beating Richmond and ODU would add credibility to our football program and help prepare us for the playoffs. Second, we have to beat Coastal Carolina if we are to control our own destiny in making the playoffs.

Then of course we have to win the games that we should win (Monmouth, Morgan State, Kentucky Wesleyan, Gardner-Webb, VMI, Presbyterian, Brevard, and Charleston Southern).

heath
April 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Thank God(can I say that?) that Lehigh is not once again on the schedule,so when getting the big L,Flame players DO NOT show their a$$ and embarrass the program by leaving the field prematurely againxnodx

PAllen
April 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM
Thank God(can I say that?) that Lehigh is not once again on the schedule,so when getting the big L,Flame players DO NOT show their a$$ and embarrass the program by leaving the field prematurely againxnodx

Uh, sure buddy. I for one wish the LU-LU match ups would continue. They are good games with two respectable fan bases. I don't know the financials, but if neither side is losing money on the home and home, I wish it would continue.

elcid83
April 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
Glad to see Liberty has already chalked the W against the Runnin' Bulldogs. This will be my 5th year with Gardner-Webb and we haven't beaten LU yet - although, we coughed up an excellent opportunity to do it last year. I'll have this game circled as the one I really want our boys to win. We'll be at home so we should have a chance.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

dbackjon
April 22nd, 2013, 03:52 PM
Then of course we have to win the games that we should win (Monmouth, Morgan State, Kentucky Wesleyan, Gardner-Webb, VMI, Presbyterian, Brevard, and Charleston Southern).

Two D2 schools? Wow...

bjtheflamesfan
April 22nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Two D2 schools? Wow...

Not ideal but Im guessing that with Liberty wanting that 7th home game, getting FCS schools to commit to coming to Lynchburg couldnt be worked out, and when FCS options had run out. they had to reach out to D2 schools to get that extra home game. Liberty is in a difficult position (and with all the realignment rumors and what not that didnt really help things)of being a team that isnt quite good enough to be a "quality win" for most FCS teams, but at the same time is a team that if most teams DID play them, and lost, they would be a "bad loss" and do damage to their resume for a possible at-large bid. Course getting the west coast teams like NAU, Cal Poly, North Dakota State, Montana State, Sacramento State, etc. is a challenge just because of the travel expense required (although Im pretty sure that Lynchburg's airport can handle team charters).

Professor Chaos
April 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Course getting the west coast teams like NAU, Cal Poly, North Dakota State, Montana State, Sacramento State, etc. is a challenge just because of the travel expense required (although Im pretty sure that Lynchburg's airport can handle team charters).
NDSU is a west coast team? xlolx

I know what you mean but that made me chuckle. By this time next week Fargo will be on a coast of sorts though.

bjtheflamesfan
April 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
NDSU is a west coast team? xlolx

I know what you mean but that made me chuckle. By this time next week Fargo will be on a coast of sorts though.

Yeah...I know NDSU isnt on the west coast but getting teams from past say the Mississippi River to come in for a game is a challenge (Last time that happened was 1997 when Cal Poly came to town...and lost 49-32)

eaglemachine
April 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
After giving Liberty's 2013 football schedule some serious thought it becomes clear that they essentially have a three game schedule. The three games are: @Richmond 9/21, @ODU 10/5, and Coastal Carolina 10/19. I realize that Liberty has a twelve-game schedule but the three games mentioned against Richmond, ODU, and Coastal Carolina are essentially the giants on the schedule (Coastal Carolina being Liberty's roadblock to a Big South title). Gaining wins against quality FCS programs is a must for Liberty if they plan on gaining credibility on the gridiron (not to say that Liberty hasn't had some big wins), Richmond and ODU provide that opportunity this season, a win against Coastal Carolina practically guarantees a trip to the FCS playoffs (unless Liberty blows it against other Big South teams that they should beat). However, adding wins against teams like Richmond and ODU goes a long way in the world that is FCS.It's always nice to have a win against an FBS opponent but it really doesn't matter if Liberty beats Kent State or not, what matters is the wins against quality FCS opponents and of course beating Coastal Carolina which is not a sure thing.

xchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratc hxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscra tchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinsc ratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchx

You won't beat odu.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Is Montana suppose to make a return trip to Lynchburg?

superman7515
April 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
You won't beat odu.

Shhh. He's doing his best Chattown impression.

Virginia Breeze
April 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
If the Liberty defense shows up like it did against Stony Brook in the last game of the season, this year they have a shot at beating any FCS team. I hear the D will be better this season.

knucklehead
April 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Is Montana suppose to make a return trip to Lynchburg?

knucklehead
April 23rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
If the Liberty defense shows up like it did against Stony Brook in the last game of the season, this year they have a shot at beating any FCS team. I hear the D will be better this season.

Should be. The Linebackers should be the best across the board at LU ever. And then the DBs are stacked as well. Walt Aikens (formerly of Ill) is a senior at 1 corner and All American Kevin Fogg (out most of last year with a broken foot) is back for senior year part 2. There is great depth and the safeties are solid as well. The line will be very good as well. If they can get a ballhawk mentality like they had at the end of last year, I agree, they could be anyone.

bjtheflamesfan
April 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
He isnt saying that we will beat ODU eaglemachine, he is saying that the game against ODU is key to our chances of getting in the playoffs because Liberty has often lacked quality wins when it comes time to look at at large consideration

knucklehead
April 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
Then I'll say it....I think we will beat ODU. It's far enough into the schedule that we will have already been through some tough competition away (Richmond and Kent St) and LU will be tested and ready to play. The antidote for a strong offense is a strong defense. An unless ODU's D has improved from when I saw them at JMU last year, we will do fine against them there as well.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM
It's time for Liberty to beat the good FCS teams on the schedule (Richmond, ODU), if Liberty beats Richmond and ODU it gives the football team credibility. If Liberty loses to Richmond and ODU but beats Charleston Southern and wins the Big South we still make the playoffs but still lack the credibility.

As a Christian I hope both Richmond and ODU the best, but as a frustrated Liberty fan I hope the Flames splits them open and watches them die in agony. I can't help it, i'm tired of the lackluster performances year after year.