PDA

View Full Version : EKU vs WKU some ???'s

ekufbfan
September 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
1. What kind of EKU team will show up? We have had high expectations pre season and now? What I witnessed last night in Cincy, has left me concerned to say the least. Hoping we would win, but at the very least, thinking we would give the Bearcats a game. We shot ourselves in the foot several times...missed opportunities...5 times inside the 30 yard line and no score. Scares me for next week.:confused:

2. What kind of wku team will show up. Saw part of the 'toppers game before leaving for the river city and of course Georgia had you guys on the ropes, but you did score on them, something we didn't do on UC.:eyebrow:

3. How many fans coming from BG? I think we will have an awesone crowd. First home game and tailgating.:nod: So for you wku fans making the trip, Welcome to Richmond and EKU!

4. Who is the favorite? I was on the Colonel bandwagon and I love those Colonels, but they have me scared...sure hope my Colonels have their act together and take care of the tops. :hurray:

The Battle of the Bluegrass is upon us...GOOOOOOOOO COLONELS!!

Toppermaniac
September 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
The last several times we've played I've had no doubt WKU would win the game because we were simply more talented. However, I have absolutely no idea what to expect this coming Saturday. It's a toss-up.

EKU05
September 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
This one will be a classic. I can just feel it. Our very talented offense has some execution issues to address. Our defense was actually better than I expcected. It's hard to tell much of anything about Western from a game against UGA. But it is what it is...

Elson vs. Hope
Haddix vs. Greco
Red vs. Maroon
The Hill vs. The Mountains
Big Red vs. The Colonel (who now wears an ENORMOUS hat)
East vs. West

THE BATTLE OF THE BLUEGRASS!!!!

Does it get any better than this?

Toppermaniac
September 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Win or lose, I'll be in Richmond this Saturday.

birdsflyhigh
September 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
EKU maybe a bit too much pre-season praise, and WKU maybe a little too quickly written off after last season? Who knows? Going for the Hilltoppers in this battle of the bluegrass!! :nod:

Killtoppers90
September 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM
As always, this will be one of the best games in I-AA. As far as what teams will show up - who knows? EKU will be fired up after laying a goose egg against Cincy (who is not a superb team) but WKU will be primed for a butt-kicking too after taking a beating from one of the best teams in I-A. It will be a great matchup as listed above. With both teams do I-A battle this past weekend, they will be ready for anything the other throws at them. WKU should play better because of the talent level they faced against UGA - there is not a bigger, faster or stronger O or D lines in the nation right now. Yet EKU faced some great talent too. Let's lace `em up on Saturday and see who comes out on top. GOod luck to both squads. I am thinking WKU 27 EKU 21

Toppermaniac
September 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
It wouldn't surprise me whichever team comes out on top. However, I have to pick my Tops. I still think we're a bit better team with Haddix and Moore both seniors and with loads of experience.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I still think we're a bit better team with Haddix

Geez......when is Haddix gonna' graduate??? Seems like he has been around forever.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
For the record........gotta go with the Gateway team....

WKU 27
EKU 17

EKU05
September 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM
It wouldn't surprise me whichever team comes out on top. However, I have to pick my Tops. I still think we're a bit better team with Haddix and Moore both seniors and with loads of experience.

Moore is spectacular...although our one two punch of Dunn and NC State transfer Washington looked solid at times (without much good O-line protection) in the UC game. I agree that WKU has a slight advantage there...but Greco is absolutely a better QB than Haddix IMO. Haddix provides a lot in terms of senior leadership...but Greco is a redshirt junior so he's been around the program for just as long.

Our offense needs better O-line work, and more awarness from the WRs. Those are going to be the keys to a Colonels victory on saturday.

galojay
September 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I think this game is too close to make a prediction. I am hopeful WKU will win, but I think we are in for an awesome game!

EKU05
September 6th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Here's a bump for one of the greatest rivlaries in all of college football!!!!

Keeper
September 6th, 2006, 02:14 AM
If y'all would like a betting line,
my ratings say: Eastern by 6.69 points.
Betcha Dougherty comes close to that.
BTW, Sagarin has Western by 6.91 pts.

Killtoppers90
September 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM
The only lines that mean ANYTHING in this game is O and D!

OL FU
September 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I always try to steer clear of drawing conclusions from I-A games. Too much emotion if the game goes well. Too easy for a I-AA team to play well and still get trashed. Of course this isn't the right thread, but I would caution the winners of the I-A games last week to be happy but not to focus too much on winning those games.

I am really looking forward to seeing the results of this one. It is been my opinion that EKU is starting the return to the top of I-AA this year. This game should help answer that question.

EKU05
September 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
It's going to be quite a brawl. Our offense really disappointed last week, but it's obvious the talent is there. Hopefully Cicninnati exposed our weeknesses better to our own coaches and players so we can fix a few things this week.

The other thing I'm counting on is that UC has a pretty big and physical D-line even by Big East Standards. They just overpowered us there. I'm sure Western has a terrific defensive line, but probably not quite as physically overpowering as UC's.

The other story line in this game is the return home to Richmond for Freshman Ronnie Letcher...who has gotten a suprising amount of PT in his first season as a Hilltopper apparently. I was a student teacher at Richmond's Madison Central High School during his junior year...I wish him all the luck in the world...except that I'm hoping we can knock him around a little bit as he returns to a stadium where he had a lot of high school success.

TopsInDaVille
September 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
If Ronnie Letcher is in the game during a significant time, WKU's in trouble. Letcher is the third-string tailback and had two carries for 3 yards at Georgia, the final two plays of the game.

Lerron Moore is the stud back, and true freshman Tyrell Hayden is the backup. Hayden looked good at Georgia, carrying 10 times for 45 yards. He's from Lexington Christian and is very fast.

I was worried about the Eastern game this time last week. Now, not so much.

WKU 30, Maroons 21

colonelblitz
September 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
The only lines that mean ANYTHING in this game is O and D!

Oh my god , an intelligent post from a topper..:) Colonels win by 14.

Western still sucks..90:hurray:

EKU05
September 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM
If Ronnie Letcher is in the game during a significant time, WKU's in trouble. Letcher is the third-string tailback and had two carries for 3 yards at Georgia, the final two plays of the game.

Lerron Moore is the stud back, and true freshman Tyrell Hayden is the backup. Hayden looked good at Georgia, carrying 10 times for 45 yards. He's from Lexington Christian and is very fast.

I was worried about the Eastern game this time last week. Now, not so much.

WKU 30, Maroons 21

I'm quite aware of that...but the fact that he may get in at all is unexpected. And the fact that he's returning to Richmond as the enemy is an even bigger story.

Toppertonic
September 6th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Look for Ronnie Letcher to drop to forth on the depth chart as Andrew McCloud will be coming back from injury and looking to get some carries...McCloud's hometown of Harrodsburg is not that far from Richmond either...

Killtoppers90
September 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Oh my god , an intelligent post from a topper..:) Colonels win by 14.

Western still sucks..90:hurray:
See Colonel, we aren't all goat-f*$king inbreds over here on the Hill. WKU still wins however! Good luck!

EKU05
September 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
See Colonel, we aren't all goat-f*$king inbreds over here on the Hill. WKU still wins however! Good luck!

Ok....so how many of the Western fans on here are going to be in Richmond on Saturday? I'm hoping we can at least match the 22,700 from two years ago.

Killtoppers90
September 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I'd kill to get up there but I had to beg out of lots of Honey-Do's to get to the GA game. Although, this game will be one of the best this season!

Toppermaniac
September 9th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I will be in Richmond, along with four other Topper fans. Where else would I be?

ekufbfan
September 9th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Game Day is here. On our way tailgaiting for breakfast, mimosa's and bloody mary's....I don't care how and I don't how by how much (the more the better would be good)...BEAT western...JUST DO IT!!!:nod:

wkukid
September 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
oh yeah!!!!

I'm leaving for Bdubs in Bowling Green in about 30 minutes (gotta get a good seat).

GO TOPS!!!!!

:hurray:

dbackjon
September 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM
EKU up 26-21. 1:23 in the 4th.

thirdgendin
September 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM
EKU wins 26-21.

wkukid
September 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM
this game had an amazing end. i hate eku but i love the games we play in every sport.

western scored to make it 26-21 with something like 1:25 left on the clock. Then managed to to recover the onside kick but failed to score.

Golden Eagle
September 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM
WHOOOO EASTERN!

galojay
September 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Good game EKU.

Toppers had too many turnovers to win.

ekufbfan
September 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
EKU WINS! How Good It Is!

birdsflyhigh
September 9th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Looks like the Hilltoppers did indeed make it a battle of the bluegrass. Nice win for EKU's Colonels over a WKU team that will be pretty competitive in the up-for-grabs GFC.

nothingbutjsu
September 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Big win EKU. Congrats!

EKU05
September 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Big win EKU. Congrats!

For what it's worth..a few of us nearly got an O-V-C chant going near the end of the game. It was FINALLY a good day for us against the Gateway with EIU holding of what looks like a tougher than expected Indiana State team.

galojay
September 10th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I'd say an OVC chant is probably still premature. What is the OVC vs Gateway record over the past several years? I don't think you want that stat.

Enjoy the win. We'll get ya next year!

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Well that trip to Richmond sucked the big one!!!! WKU lost for three reasons.

1) Some very questionable calls. No, I'm not blaming the loss on the refs. Just pointing out one very, very bad call and one that was questionable (I couldn't really tell whether it was right or not). However, the pass interference call in the first half that lead to EKU's first score was terrible. The two officials on the play made no call, yet an official from 25 yards away came running in to throw a late flag. The other play I'm not sure about was the Haddix fumble. His arm was going forward, but I couldn't tell whether the ball was out at that point or not. Regardless, WKU did not play to win.

2) Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Two late fumbles (one being he Haddix fumble mentioned above) absolutely killed us. Can't do that against a rival on the road and expect to win.

3) The primary reason WKU lost was their inept coaching staff. The worst offensive game plan I've ever seen. Way, way too conservative. Elson and his staff handcuffed the offense the entire game and played not to lose rather than playing aggressive WKU football. In my opinion, the loss is on the coaching staff, which has done an extremely poor job the past 6-7 games WKU has played.

Congrats EKU!!! You played more aggressive and deserved he W.

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
One more thing WKU did poorly last night. Our All-American candidate kicker missed two field goals that also contributed greatly to our demise.

ekufbfan
September 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Well that trip to Richmond sucked the big one!!!! WKU lost for three reasons.

1) Some very questionable calls. No, I'm not blaming the loss on the refs. Just pointing out one very, very bad call and one that was questionable (I couldn't really tell whether it was right or not). However, the pass interference call in the first half that lead to EKU's first score was terrible. The two officials on the play made no call, yet an official from 25 yards away came running in to throw a late flag. The other play I'm not sure about was the Haddix fumble. His arm was going forward, but I couldn't tell whether the ball was out at that point or not. Regardless, WKU did not play to win.

2) Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Two late fumbles (one being he Haddix fumble mentioned above) absolutely killed us. Can't do that against a rival on the road and expect to win.

3) The primary reason WKU lost was their inept coaching staff. The worst offensive game plan I've ever seen. Way, way too conservative. Elson and his staff handcuffed the offense the entire game and played not to lose rather than playing aggressive WKU football. In my opinion, the loss is on the coaching staff, which has done an extremely poor job the past 6-7 games WKU has played.

Congrats EKU!!! You played more aggressive and deserved he W.

Blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine! Same ol' western, excuse, excuse, excuse. YOU GOT BEAT because EKU WAS THE BETTER TEAM. Grow up and quit whining or learn something about football! AND I AM talking about the calls, there were a few questionable calls on our side too, that's football sir and the perspective is always from the side you are sitting on. The outcome of the game had NOTHING to do with the refs!:eyebrow:

WE WON, get over it!

galojay
September 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM
ekufbfan.... please.. I've read enough posting from eku fans after losses. EVERY fan looks at their teams failures after a loss... that doesn't take anything away from the team that won. Take your one win in the last six games and enjoy it.

If WKU had played a perfect game with no turnovers and EKU won then you'd probably get more credit. We lost the game because of turnovers. Same reason you lost two years ago. Anyone that knows even a little bit about football that watched the game would say this game was lost on turnovers, and other than that, these teams were about equal. The last 5 games that WKU won, I certainly didn't see your fans saying WKU was better... merely that you all made mistakes.

ekufbfan
September 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Oh, so you are admitting we were the better team two years ago in Richmond and playing Greco for the first game of his college career, because Guice was hurt, was the reason EKU got beat, had nothing to do with wku's fb team?

Just go over HH and read the whining and excuse making and insults regarding last night's game, EKU and the OVC. That is my point.:bang:

WAY TO GO EKU!!!!

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hey ekufbfan, did you even take the time to actually read my post (are you one of the EKU fans that can actually read)? I gave congrats to EKU and said they deserved to win. I was at the game. Were you? If you didn't think our turnovers and our pathetically conservative game plan were the primary reasons for the outcome, then you're either blind, stupid, or both. Again, if you read my post you'd see that I didn't blame the loss on the calls. I merely pointed out the fact that the pass interference in the first half was pathetic and it was. Did it cause us to lose? No, but it sure didn't help. It got EKU their first score and it was only a 6 point game. Enjoy the win cause we both know you rarely get one when you play us.

ekufbfan
September 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Hey toppermaniac,
I am neither blind or stupid and I certainly was at the game.
YOU LOST, WE WON! 'nuff said! xlolx

And BTW, your name certainly suits your posts

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey toppermaniac,
I am neither blind or stupid and I certainly was at the game.
YOU LOST, WE WON! 'nuff said! xlolx

And BTW, your name certainly suits your posts

Yea, you are stupid. Ever think about using "nor" rather than "or" where it's appropriate? LOL

Enjoy your win. It'll be your last over the Topps for many years to come. I should've known better than try to post anything of any substance to an EKU fan.

ekufbfan
September 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Yea, you are stupid. Ever think about using "nor" rather than "or" where it's appropriate? LOL

Enjoy your win. It'll be your last over the Topps for many years to come. I should've known better than try to post anything of any substance to an EKU fan.

Thanks for making my original point regarding wku fans, when all else fails, just try and insult the other team's fans. So, if calling me stupid makes you feel better, go for it! We still won the game! xlolx :hurray: xlolx

I would not bet the family "goat" farm on this being our last win over wku.

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
You're too stupid to even recognize something posted tongue-in-cheek. Again, I should have known better. xidiotx

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Just remember one thing Mr. Perfect. Don't come on here playing the victim when you're the one that came on here with guns a blazing about whinning, etc. Neither I now any other WKU fan posted anything to or about you. I was talking about football and you started the bullsh**. Don't stir up crap unless you want it back. Stop your crying about it.

ekufbfan
September 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I am laughing my @$$ off right now, you are so wrong about so much. Boy, did this EKU fan get your "goat".....xlolx

The rivalry is alive and well! GO EKU!!

wkukid
September 10th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Well Western still leads something like 44 - 34 - 3 all time

Killtoppers90
September 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Come on now boys! Let's cut all this stupid name calling out! EKU beat us. Our team continues to makes mistakes that cost us. Once Elson can figure out how to prepare a team, we will get on the right track. EKU beat us this season, fair and square. Our mistakes didn't help.

EKU05
September 10th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Honestly, I don't think either team reached out and grabbed it last night. The fact that we won the turnover battle 3-1 helped a lot...but we made plenty of mistakes of our own, and our red zone offense is beyond terrible.

therealbigredrules
September 10th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Good game EKU.

My trip was nice, I made a stop in Loretto for a vist to Makers Mark and had a nice time in Lexington KY before the game.

I read it was your first non conf. win since 2003. Is that correct?

http://www.makersmark.com/Images/Ad-10.jpg

Maroons
September 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
It was another classic... as so many of them have been.

So how long until you guys announce you're going I-A? December?

galojay
September 11th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Oh, so you are admitting we were the better team two years ago in Richmond and playing Greco for the first game of his college career, because Guice was hurt, was the reason EKU got beat, had nothing to do with wku's fb team?

Just go over HH and read the whining and excuse making and insults regarding last night's game, EKU and the OVC. That is my point.:bang:

WAY TO GO EKU!!!!

I am admitting that every fan of every school reflects back on their own team's weaknesses and errors after a loss. And doing so does not take away from the other teams victory. Just like in 2004 when you guys lost to us. No one admitted we were the better team (I read the comments), no, you all came up with excuses just like you shared above. It's the natural thing to do, read every thread on this board and you will find the losing team reflecting on their performance and what they need to work on.
You won. Congrats. Enjoy the first game in six tries that you won against WKU. I love how EKU finally wins one and you think it gives you the green light to be a cocky you know what. Of course for EKU, it's like winning a national championship when you beat WKU... complete with rushing the field and tearing down the goal posts (how lame was that). We appreciate the compliment. And remember, when you get too cocky to reflect, the overall record is 46-33-3. We still own you.

Maroons
September 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Is that really you, galo? You're not usually so venomous...

galojay
September 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Is that really you, galo? You're not usually so venomous...

haha... I know. Your buddy is being stupid and it's frustrating me.

Sorry! lol

wkukid
September 11th, 2006, 01:10 PM
whats with the goal posts? You guys were ranked...we weren't...plus you guys were favored by 10 points.

EKU05
September 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
whats with the goal posts? You guys were ranked...we weren't...plus you guys were favored by 10 points.

That topic has been beaten into the ground at EKUpride.com. Most agree that it was a little over the top, but consider a few things...

-I am an EKU alum and we had not beaten WKU in either basketball or football since a few years before I even became associated with the school. We had not beaten Western in this millenium.
-Certainly for the current students this was a first win against a big rival.
-EKU had not won a non-conference game since 2003 or something like that. This win, coupled with one on the road next week gives us a shot at an at-large playoff bid.
-It was a big crowd, and mob mentality tends to take over. In particular, the rowdiest section of EKU students sits right there on the hill behind the goal post. It's almost like we're asking for it from moment one.

Also, I'm not sure what this means exactly...but Roy Kidd Stadium opened in 1969 and this was only the second time the goal post has come down. The other was for Coach Kidd's 300th win in 2001.

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM
. You won. Congrats. Enjoy the first game in six tries that you won against WKU. I love how EKU finally wins one and you think it gives you the green light to be a cocky you know what. Of course for EKU, it's like winning a national championship when you beat WKU... complete with rushing the field and tearing down the goal posts (how lame was that). We appreciate the compliment. And remember, when you get too cocky to reflect, the overall record is 46-33-3. We still own you

Your buddy is being stupid and it's frustrating me.

First of all galojay, I am not stupid and I am not cocky. However, I think if an impartial person would read the messages between me and you and maniac,they would see three fans who love their team and university. Also, that one can read exactly what one wishes to read in these posts. I will say this however, it is pretty hard to misinterpret when someone calls you "stupid".

The Goal Post: As EKU05 has said this subject has been debated at length on EKU Pride. You know and we know that most EKU fans thought that was completely unnecessary, but you are talking 18-19 year old kids, who see this kind of thing on TV every weekend. Look at the students after the OSU-Texas game. I am not saying EKU-wku game held the same significance (the emotion was no different), but you got to admit that setting fires is over the top even for that! I certainly agree with one of you that tearing down the goal post ( it was only one)was certainly an unnecessary compliment to you. That said, I was happy to see the EKU students get into the game and behind their team like they did.

As far as you as an wku fan, posting that for EKU, beating wku, is like us winning a the national championship, NOT HARDLY. I went to four straight NC games with the Colonels and we won two of those. While, beating wku is a real treat, it certainly does not come close to winning a national championship, so don't kid yourself on that one sweetie. :nonono2:

As far as I am concerned, I will be an EKU fan until I drop dead. It's time for EKU fans to move on to the next western we play. Again, we won, you lost. :hurray: Get over it and move on also!

One last thing, in my opinion, the moral to this story is, the EKU-wku rivalry is alive and well.

Toppermaniac
September 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I am laughing my @$$ off right now, you are so wrong about so much. Boy, did this EKU fan get your "goat".....xlolx

The rivalry is alive and well! GO EKU!!

Yea, you really got my "goat". Lest ye forget, you're the one that responded to my post (which was completely football related and not directed to you or anyone in particular) with a whinning retort. Now just think real hard for a sec or two. Who got whose "goat"?

Maroons
September 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Who got whose "goat"?

This web of sodomy is getting too complicated to unravel!

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Yea, you really got my "goat". Lest ye forget, you're the one that responded to my post (which was completely football related and not directed to you or anyone in particular) with a whinning retort. Now just think real hard for a sec or two. Who got whose "goat"?

I won't call you "stupid" as you did me, but you were chastising me for not understanding what you called 'tongue in cheek' humor...oh, never mindxidiotx

GO EKU!

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM

I must have got yours, you can't stop yourself:bawling: and I am again xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx my @$$ off! Too funny!
GO EKU!