PDA

View Full Version : Very quick game with the new rule....

Old Cage
September 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
The UMass-Colgate game was played in 2:26. That might be the quickest college game I have ever seen. No television time-outs probably also played a role, but I think the new rule on starting the clock added to the crispness of the game as well as shortening the overall time.

The thirty minute post-game band performance is a big deal at UMass, and over the years we might leave the stadium at 4:45 or so for a 1PM kick-off. Yesterday we were heading out right at four.

I think this will be a positive for attendance for everyone.

JMU Duke Dog
September 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
The JMU-Bloomsburg game last night lasted 2 hours and 15 minutes from start to finish. It was odd beginning a game at 6 PM and being out before 9 PM. I understand wanting to speed up the game; however, I wish they had not changed the rules as I want to spend a lot of time at the actual game but that is just how I am.

cosmo here
September 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Lafayette at Sacred Heart - 2:36, with TV timeouts

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
The UMass-Colgate game was played in 2:26. That might be the quickest college game I have ever seen. No television time-outs probably also played a role, but I think the new rule on starting the clock added to the crispness of the game as well as shortening the overall time.

The thirty minute post-game band performance is a big deal at UMass, and over the years we might leave the stadium at 4:45 or so for a 1PM kick-off. Yesterday we were heading out right at four.

I think this will be a positive for attendance for everyone.

That whole game seemed very surreal. With all the running as well, it's almost as if it didn't really happen. I'm actually not that big a fan, why would you want to spend less time at a football game?:cool:

Old Cage
September 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
"why would you want to spend less time at a football game?"

At 3-3 1/2 hours the games really drag. It's not that you are in a rush to get out of the stadium. It's that with tv time-outs, and many incomplete passes, and too many times outs alloted to each team, and the ref not starting the play for too long a time, you wish someone would actually snap the ball.

Of course there are some here that would argue that the game is just the cupcake that holds the frosting, which is the post-game tailgating. In the Northeast it gets cold and dark quite early, and another half hour is welcome.

I'm sure that the tv networks championed the change so that games would be over under three hours so that they don't run into the next game and its commercials.

As I said above, the game was very crisp and enjoyable to watch.

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
our game seemed really long, even for a tv game. not sure on official end time.

AppGuy04
September 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM

thats what alot of points will do for yaxlolx xlolx

Calif_Colonial
September 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
2 Hours 25 minutes

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
thats what alot of points will do for yaxlolx xlolx
that is true. :thumbsup:

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Georgetown-Holy Cross: 3:06.

AppGuy04
September 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
I think all of these games will seem super short b/c we are so used to regular length games for our whole life

ngineer
September 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Didn't specifically time Lehigh/Albany, but kickoff was 1:07 p.m. and the game was over around 3:50 p.m.--so that comes out to about 2:43--which is a good 20 min sooner than usual.

I still don't like the clock running with the referee's blowing the whistle.:nonono2:

P2TheB
September 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM

UNI/Drake= 3 hours 1 minute

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM
WOW.....Game was quick....Of course did stay for the best show on earth...Marching Royal Dukes....back in Richmond by 11......

Old Cage
September 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
From Matt Vatour, UMass reporter for the Daily Hampshire Gazette:

"A year ago, Minuteman games averaged 132.6 plays per game from scrimmage and 2 hours, 56 minutes to play. Last year UMass and Colgate playing similar styles used 148 plays in 3:05. Saturday's game under the new rules had 113 plays in 2:26."

That's quite a difference.

The rule was supposed to fit televised games into a three hour window so that they didn't overlap and lose revenue from commercials for the networks. The first D1 game I watched part of - Florida State/Miami last night - took forever to play, well beyond the three hour mark. Figures.

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Lafayette at Sacred Heart - 2:36, with TV timeouts

:confused: Really?

I guess that's right.. started at 2:08, remember seeing the Pitt Center clock say 4:45 after the game.. that is short..

Usually Pard games at Fisher start at 1:08, end between 3:50-4:10 based upon last year. I like the longer games..