PDA

View Full Version : Savannah St. looking for a head coach........again

kdinva
April 18th, 2013, 07:45 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4585842

walliver
April 18th, 2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4585842

There is no shame in going D-2.
There is shame in fielding a horrible D-I team year after year after year ...

Who fires a coach in April?

Eaglesrus
April 18th, 2013, 07:59 AM

I don't know, but speculation is that the reason is that they were waiting until after the inauguration of a new president of the school, which happened this past weekend. However, they inaugurated the person who had been interim for a while, so I still don't see why they waited.

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Ask Winston-Salem State...seems to be working out for them. Savannah State might want to consider it.

CID1990
April 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I heard Jerry Moore is looking for a job.

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
This will make five different coaches over seven years.

Sir William
April 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
This will make five different coaches over seven years.

Sounds like a dysfunctional little Baptist church run by a two or three controlling families.

Sad, pathetic and not likely to improve anytime in the near future.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Too bad they aren't located in a neat city with virtually limitless football talent in the surrounding areas.

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I am going to send them my resume. I don't have coaching experience, but I have won 3 national titles on NCAA 13 on xbox360

MarkCCU
April 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I am going to send them my resume. I don't have coaching experience, but I have won 3 national titles on NCAA 13 on xbox360

You're more successful than any of their real coaches.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Buddy of mine one time sent his resume in to be UGA's defensive coordinator. Thought he could do a better job.

UAalum72
May 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
TSN reports four finalists interviewing at SSU : John Hendrick, special teams and DE coach at Alabama St.; Earnest Wilson III, OC/QB coach at Hampton; Ester Junior, HC at Central State; Robert Joseph, Alcorn St. WR coach, formerly HC at Langston.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4596300

Cocky
May 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM
EJ Junior would be a great choice.

Laker
May 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM
This is the first good story that I've ever read about Savannah State. I didn't know that they were good at anything, but they just earned their first trip to the D1 Baseball tournament.

I agree with the Winston-Salem comment. They made the championship game in football last year.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2013-05-26/donald-heath-mcgowin-gives-savannah-state-winning-edge#

superman7515
May 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM
EJ Junior would be a great choice.

A lot of people believed Mickey Joseph has been the lead candidate from the beginning, long before this list of finalists (only one of which has a winning record as a coach, guess who) came out, as he is good friends with the AD. If so, they expect a lawsuit from the previous head coach, and a payout when Savannah State is found in breach of contract.

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
This is the first good story that I've ever read about Savannah State. I didn't know that they were good at anything, but they just earned their first trip to the D1 Baseball tournament.

I agree with the Winston-Salem comment. They made the championship game in football last year.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2013-05-26/donald-heath-mcgowin-gives-savannah-state-winning-edge#

One correction to the article, which isn't worth mentioning but I'll mention anyway; the team got together at Coach's Corner to watch the selection show, not Johnny Harris' Restaurant. Coach's deserves the publicity as the premier sports bar/restaurant in Savannah. Anyhow, good luck to the Tigers in Tallahassee!

rokamortis
May 28th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Once they got settled into a conference, they've shown success in many sports. I don't know how football will do, but other sports are doing good overall.

paward
May 29th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Whoever gets the job has a plethora of issues to contend with. The program has been going down for some time now. The area is full of talent but it is a hard sell. Patience is a must. That seem to be something they are short with. The real elephant in the room is money. I am not sure if they do not have or they do not want to put it in the football program.

rokamortis
May 29th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Whoever gets the job has a plethora of issues to contend with. The program has been going down for some time now. The area is full of talent but it is a hard sell. Patience is a must. That seem to be something they are short with. The real elephant in the room is money. I am not sure if they do not have or they do not want to put it in the football program.

They are trying to put resources together, they just built a new stadium. Being in the MEAC will help settle things down, but I think they overreached to be a DI school.

superman7515
June 6th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Press conference tomorrow (6/7) at 3:00 pm to name the new coach.

Sam I Am
June 7th, 2013, 02:05 PM
SSU new coach is Earnest Wilson III. Wilson is currently the offensive coordinator/quarterback coach at Hampton. A former Texas Tech running back, Wilson has also worked as an assistant at Jackson State, New Mexico State and Benedict.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ssu-head-football-coach-announcement?utm_campaign=www.ssuathletics.com&utm_source=14721045&utm_medium=social

Punchy
June 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I wish SSU all the luck in the world, except when they line up against my SPARTANS!!!!!!!!!

DSUrocks07
June 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I wish SSU all the luck in the world, except when they line up against my SPARTANS!!!!!!!!!

I hold that same sentiment.

Get it together Tigers! xprayx

DFW HOYA
June 8th, 2013, 06:35 PM
A week ago, there was an article in the Savannah Morning News where a fan asked one of the coaching candidates this question: "What do you do when you don't know what to do?" It'a s question that should be raised at the school, not the prospective coach.

This is the 12th hire by SSU in the last 20 years. A school might miss on one, or two, or, at worst three hires, but 11 straight times they've fired a coach and do not seem to have learned any lessons on the institutional support that this program lacks. Some have come with prior head coaching experience, most not. Coach Wilson comes as an OC from a three win Hampton team, and who is expected to hire 10 assistants and a get a team ready within eight weeks of Georgia Southern. If he goes 1-10 like his predecessor, the same calls will come to the AD's office to cut ties.

Only one coach has won more than two games since 1999, even if Robby Wells' 5-7 season in 2008 came mostly at the expense of NAIA and Division II opponents. The story of SSU's institutional resistance to Wells was well documented, and he walked off with a $350,000 settlement to settle a racial discrimination lawsuit that would have embarassed the school even further. The story of Steve Davenport, who was strangely fired (along with his staff) the day spring practice ended is less clear, but at some point, it's not the coaches that are driving this instability but the school itself.

Savannah State enters 2013 with one Division I win since the 2001 season (a win over Winston-Salem St. in 2008). This year's slate of non-conference opponents (Georgia Southern, Troy, and Miami) will add three more to that loss total before the MEAC schedule inflicts its toll. With a budget of $1.7 million (most of which is coming from those guarantee games), average attendance of 3,336 a game, and only 13 recruits signed for 2013, one wishes coach Wilson well, but no one will be surprised if we revisit this thread in a couple more years.

superman7515
June 8th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Savannah State enters 2013 with one Division I win since the 2001 season (a win over Winston-Salem St. in 2008).

Not trying to pile on to Savannah State's woes, but Winston Salem State was never a full-fledged D1 school. They went back to D2 before completing what they needed to do in order to get past their provisional status.

ElCid
June 9th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Savannah State enters 2013 with one Division I win since the 2001 season (a win over Winston-Salem St. in 2008). This year's slate of non-conference opponents (Georgia Southern, Troy, and Miami) will add three more to that loss total before the MEAC schedule inflicts its toll. With a budget of $1.7 million (most of which is coming from those guarantee games), average attendance of 3,336 a game, and only 13 recruits signed for 2013, one wishes coach Wilson well, but no one will be surprised if we revisit this thread in a couple more years.

I admittedly do not know much about the MEAC, but I think they actually have more. I found victories over NC Central (10 &11) and one over Norfolk (04). But only three wins is still pretty bad. Best of luck to them.

UAalum72
June 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM
SSU also edged the dying Morris Brown program in 2002. Doesn't help much.

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I admittedly do not know much about the MEAC, but I think they actually have more. I found victories over NC Central (10 &11) and one over Norfolk (04). But only three wins is still pretty bad. Best of luck to them.

Thanks for the correction--I had NC Central as a transitioning member when in fact they had joined the MEAC by that time.

SSU also edged the dying Morris Brown program in 2002. Doesn't help much.

Hadn't heard about Morris Brown in a while. Apparently, they are down to just 35 students and turned down a $10 million lifeline from the city of Atlanta.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2013-06-08/morris-brown-trustees-turn-down-taxpayer-money

Laker
June 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
"Morris Brown's Philadelphia-based lawyer Anne Aaronson has said the city's offer was insufficient because it covered the college's debt but didn't provide operating funds. She says the school has a better offer on the table. Reed and city officials say that's hard to believe. Aaronson declined to give any further details."

35 students. I think that they should close up shop. Maybe the federal government is going to shower them with money. This story has a bad smell to it. SI had a story about MBC back in 2001.

"It was the same story last year, when as a provisional member of Division I the Wolverines traveled 17,000 miles, took in $287,000 and went 6-23 as sacrificial lambs, winning only four games against Division I opponents."

dgtw
June 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM
The city of Atlanta does not need to be giving taxpayer money to a private college. I'm sorry, but if they only have 35 students, it is time to pull the plug. Who would want to go to a college with 35 students, especially one without accreditation and the recent history it has?

813Jag
June 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM
"Morris Brown's Philadelphia-based lawyer Anne Aaronson has said the city's offer was insufficient because it covered the college's debt but didn't provide operating funds. She says the school has a better offer on the table. Reed and city officials say that's hard to believe. Aaronson declined to give any further details."

35 students. I think that they should close up shop. Maybe the federal government is going to shower them with money. This story has a bad smell to it. SI had a story about MBC back in 2001.

"It was the same story last year, when as a provisional member of Division I the Wolverines traveled 17,000 miles, took in $287,000 and went 6-23 as sacrificial lambs, winning only four games against Division I opponents."
there was talk at one time of them joining the SWAC , but they were rejected by league presidents in 1999