PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Not Going To The Sun Belt

DuaneAllmanLives
April 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/college-football/rumors/post?id=3586

If you're an insider you can read it

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Good for Liberty. The Sun Belt is garbage.

MplsBison
April 17th, 2013, 07:12 PM

They'd beat up on the CAA FC - that's for sure.

IBleedYellow
April 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Don't talk about the Sun Belt like that! The App State and GSU fans will get mad, but not before MplsBison tells us all how NDSU should be in the 'belt, too.

DoWe
April 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM
So is the CAA the last time I bothered to care.

Laker
April 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/college-football/rumors/post?id=3586

If you're an insider you can read it

Shortened version please for us Outsiders..........xcoolx

Seawolf97
April 17th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Helps keep the Big South intact a little longer also.

dgtw
April 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Don't talk about the Sun Belt like that! The App State and GSU fans will get mad, but not before MplsBison tells us all how NDSU should be in the 'belt, too.

They're closer to the Sun Belt footprint than Idaho.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 17th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Now that there is no chance of joining an FBS conference I really wish Liberty could join the CAA or the SoCon. I think Liberty could be an asset to either of the FCS conferences aforementioned. I would really like to see Liberty play teams like Richmond, William and Mary, Delaware, New Hampshire, or Furman, UT-Chattanooga, Western Carolina, and Wofford. I realize the brass at Liberty wants to move up to FBS but it looks like it ain't gonna happen. Besides, since my FBS football team is Virginia Tech if Liberty stayed in the FCS I would not have to split my loyalties. I am sure the athletic department at Liberty will take my request into consideration.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I'm glad were stuck playing FCS football. To me the FCS is like a private country club where all the riff raff has been cleared out, as where the FBS is like the public golf course where the trash of society hangs out. I like watching Virginia Tech on TV but I wouldn't want to attend the games in person, however, I like attending FCS games.

For the record, the Sun Belt conference is the toilet conference of the FBS and I truly believe that through divine intervention Liberty was hindered from joining. The Garth Brooks song "Unanswered Prayers" comes to mind, as where the old Hee Haw song "Gloom, Despair, Agony on Me" reminds me of the Sun Belt conference.

Saint3333
April 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah that pretty girl I asked out in high school that turned me down is a %#<^{ too.

whoanellie
April 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM
waiting on the rapture= when Hell Freezes OVER

ThompsonThe
April 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM
waiting on the rapture= when Hell Freezes OVER

Hasn't the Southern Conference and CAA turned down Liberty enough to make you quit requesting into the conference?
Your fans really made fools of themselves trying to get into the Sun Belt. They were begging like crazy. Pathetic. All that after tons of SB posters told you that you would never be considered for the SB. It's normal to do some thing in FCS before you apply to go to FBS, like at least one time to get into the playoffs would be a small start. Now maybe you can start doing that.

Tribe4SF
April 18th, 2013, 02:21 AM
It's normal to do some thing in FCS before you apply to go to FBS, like at least one time to get into the playoffs would be a small start. Now maybe you can start doing that.

You mean like Georgia State?

ThompsonThe
April 18th, 2013, 02:33 AM

True, but they were a "market". Ha,ha.

Just that Liberty thinks they should be in FBS and there is no reason to justify it.

tourguide
April 18th, 2013, 03:25 AM
True, but they were a "market". Ha,ha.

Just that Liberty thinks they should be in FBS and there is no reason to justify it.

isnt there some very exciting board that has a bunch of knowledgeable fans and deals with the Sun Belt or other fringe FBS conferences that are slightly better than the Big South? You would fit in well over there

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 06:00 AM

Georgia state was started with the idea of going fbs...more or less. Expansion programs in huge markets are worth the risk for fbs conferences. Especially compared to an fcs program who has had very little actual success in one of the worst fcs conferences and is affiliated with a complete racist/bigot wack job.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

walliver
April 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Hasn't the Southern Conference and CAA turned down Liberty enough to make you quit requesting into the conference?
Your fans really made fools of themselves trying to get into the Sun Belt. They were begging like crazy. Pathetic. All that after tons of SB posters told you that you would never be considered for the SB. It's normal to do some thing in FCS before you apply to go to FBS, like at least one time to get into the playoffs would be a small start. Now maybe you can start doing that.

What about UNCC? Yes it's a market.
What about FIU? Yes its a market.
FAU at least won a couple of playoff games.

The real difference is that Georgia State, FIU, FAU, and UNCC only played I-AA/FCS football because the NCAA forced them to. If given a choice, all of the above would have started in FBS. In fact, I think they should have been allowed to start directly in FBS (they never added anything to FCS, and just reinforced the image of FCS as a beginners division).

Liberty played D-II for a while.
Liberty has played FCS for a while and can't even win the Big South outright.
Nevertheless, I think they could play competitive football at the low-FBS level. Their religious culture may be a turn-off to many people (Christian and secular) would be an attraction to others, and would be a way they would stand out of the crowd during recruiting season.

ccd494
April 18th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Now that there is no chance of joining an FBS conference I really wish Liberty could join the CAA or the SoCon. I think Liberty could be an asset to either of the FCS conferences aforementioned. I would really like to see Liberty play teams like Richmond, William and Mary, Delaware, New Hampshire, or Furman, UT-Chattanooga, Western Carolina, and Wofford. I realize the brass at Liberty wants to move up to FBS but it looks like it ain't gonna happen. Besides, since my FBS football team is Virginia Tech if Liberty stayed in the FCS I would not have to split my loyalties. I am sure the athletic department at Liberty will take my request into consideration.

The northeastern publics will never let Liberty into the CAA. Want to make the student bodies at UNH and Maine care about football for once? Send Liberty to campus, they'll turn out in droves to protest outside the stadium.

walliver
April 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
The northeastern publics will never let Liberty into the CAA. Want to make the student bodies at UNH and Maine care about football for once? Send Liberty to campus, they'll turn out in droves to protest outside the stadium.

Maybe if they spent more time inside the stadium, both teams would benefit.

Sammy94
April 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
So I wonder if we are next on the Sun Belt want list?

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Hardly. It's par for the course to rip on the Sun Belt. No surprise in that, especially coming from a troll like BHCE. I don't take much issue with folks bashing the Sun Belt. App State and GSU joined, and they're happy about it. I always found it interesting that so many fans of other schools care so much.

ccd494
April 18th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Maybe if they spent more time inside the stadium, both teams would benefit.

That ship has certainly sailed in Orono.

kingkat99
April 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM
So I wonder if we are next on the Sun Belt want list?

I hope not....LAMAR....TAKE LAMAR!!! The SLC doesnt want them anyway.

Laker
April 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM

On another note- what is the chance of Vermont ever restarting football? I would assume extremely low, but you are much closer to the situation than I am. I read that they had club football there.

rokamortis
April 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM
2 threads with basically the same conversation ... I think my head is going to explode

Saint3333
April 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Hardly. It's par for the course to rip on the Sun Belt. No surprise in that, especially coming from a troll like BHCE. I don't take much issue with folks bashing the Sun Belt. App State and GSU joined, and they're happy about it. I always found it interesting that so many fans of other schools care so much.

Like you said if the Belt is that bad App and GSU should dominate it the way they have the FCS level, if we don't I guess the Sun Belt isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Apphole
April 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Like you said if the Belt is that bad App and GSU should dominate it the way they have the FCS level, if we don't I guess the Sun Belt isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

So described is the great contradiction of all the SBC haters.

"The Sun Belt is a piss poor league and isn't any better than some FCS conferences"

"App and GaSo will never do well in the FBS."

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
So described is the great contradiction of all the SBC haters.

"The Sun Belt is a piss poor league and isn't any better than some FCS conferences"

"App and GaSo will never do well in the FBS."

You forgot:

"The Sun Belt sucks the life out of its members"

Which is how the two link together.

Apphole
April 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM
You forgot:

Is that why the Sun Belt performs so well in bowls and against FBS out of conference competition?

Idiot

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Is that why the Sun Belt performs so well in bowls and against FBS out of conference competition?

Idiot

Keep telling yourself that and you'll start believing it. Oh, wait, I think I'm too late.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Shouldn't all the App St., Georgia So., and Georgia St. fans head over to the Sun Belt boards, I realize that you still have one season left in FCS football but go ahead and leave early.

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Idiot

It's easy to perform well in bowls when you are playing other weak conferences.

AshevilleApp2
April 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Shouldn't all the App St., Georgia So., and Georgia St. fans head over to the Sun Belt boards, I realize that you still have one season left in FCS football but go ahead and leave early.

No.

ccd494
April 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
On another note- what is the chance of Vermont ever restarting football? I would assume extremely low, but you are much closer to the situation than I am. I read that they had club football there.

None. Football is damn expensive. UVM is pretty focused on getting new hoops/hockey facility/facilities built. I think you're going to see New England D-I football contract before you see it grow. Frankly, Maine should hang it up, but I think they'll just muddle along with mediocrity and terrible funding across the board as opposed to having any sort of plan for success.

asumike83
April 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Some guy who joined last week telling App and GaSo fans to leave, that's rich.

asumike83
April 18th, 2013, 10:09 AM
You forgot:

Please substantiate that statement. Which members have had the life sucked out of them and how?

Saint3333
April 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
He can't Mike, already tried and failed.

Apphole
April 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Keep telling yourself that and you'll start believing it. Oh, wait, I think I'm too late.

If you're going to flat out deny the final score of several games, I guess his conversation is moot.

Enjoy fantasy land.

IBleedYellow
April 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM

I'd actually prefer that the LU fans go and the App State and GSU posters stay. At least they can talk smack with a little bit of respect without downright attacking someone/an institution.

dgtw
April 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM

He must have been reading the Sun Belt boards and the other boards for leagues no one gives a crap about.

Whenever a team changes leagues, they move that team's forum to the new conference board (while they are still playing in the old league) and pretty much tell the posters to stay off their lawn.

I agree the Sun Belt isn't much, but its not as bad as people make it out to be. I'd say its no worse than the MAC or C-USA.

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I don't blame the Sun Belt for not wanting Liberty.

phoenix3
April 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM

and UNCC?

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
You forgot:

At least it leaves them with some life.

FCS is a stake to the heart. Enjoy.

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
None. Football is damn expensive. UVM is pretty focused on getting new hoops/hockey facility/facilities built. I think you're going to see New England D-I football contract before you see it grow. Frankly, Maine should hang it up, but I think they'll just muddle along with mediocrity and terrible funding across the board as opposed to having any sort of plan for success.

How about a non-scholarship NE bus league? It will still be varsity, because the NCAA allows non-scholarships in "Division I football".

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM

I've never said a single time that NDSU should be in the Sun Belt. I don't advocate that.

Any other lies you'd care to fabricate at this time?

Southern Bison
April 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM
IBY, see what happens when you forget the purple font? Lakes, I mean Mpls gets even more ornery.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'd actually prefer that the LU fans go and the App State and GSU posters stay. At least they can talk smack with a little bit of respect without downright attacking someone/an institution.

Look, you clearly have some deep rooted issues toward Liberty, but if you're ever in town let me buy you a few rounds of beer so we can depart as friends.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I've never said a single time that NDSU should be in the Sun Belt. I don't advocate that.

Any other lies you'd care to fabricate at this time?

If NDSU ever did go to a FBS conference it should be the MAC and then to the B!G.

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
The MAC is the only opportunity NDSU will ever have to join an FBS conference.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
The MAC is the only opportunity NDSU will ever have to join an FBS conference.

The MAC is better than the SunBelt and could be better than the AAC.

AppAlum2003
April 18th, 2013, 11:01 AM
This troll's not even funny. At least chattownmocs and some of the others make me laugh. He just makes me feel bad for him.

AppAlum2003
April 18th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Oh, and BTW... is it cool if I still hang out here after App moves to the SunBelt?

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Oh, and BTW... is it cool if I still hang out here after App moves to the SunBelt?

Only if you bring jell-o pudding

The Eagle's Cliff
April 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM

You should love GSU and App leaving and hope many in the CAA, MVC, and Big Sky follow. Perhaps then, Lehigh would have better than a snowball's chance in Hell of winning a championship.

AppAlum2003
April 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Only if you bring jell-o pudding

Will Snack Packs work? They're much cheaper.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM
The MAC is better than the SunBelt and could be better than the AAC.

As of right now, i'd rank the "other 5" as...
1. MWC
2. AAC
3. MAC
4. CUSA
5. SBC

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 11:13 AM
As of right now, i'd rank the "other 5" as...
1. MWC
2. AAC
3. MAC
4. CUSA
5. SBC

Are you ranking those based on how good the best team or teams in each league are relatively? Or are you ranking based on the relative top to bottom strength of each conference?

I would contend that the only true way to rank a conference is based who would win the majority of the games in a cross-over (#1 plays #1, 2 plays 2, 3 plays 3, and so on...).

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Will this madness ever end http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/2013/04/not-so-fast-my-friend-is-liberty-really.html , please God let this be over like both Appalachian State and Georgia Southern's days of football dominance is over for the foreseeable future.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Are you ranking those based on how good the best team or teams in each league are relatively? Or are you ranking based on the relative top to bottom strength of each conference?

I would contend that the only true way to rank a conference is based who would win the majority of the games in a cross-over (#1 plays #1, 2 plays 2, 3 plays 3, and so on...).

Since the AAC is basically made up of past members of the C-USA and Sun Belt I would rank the "other 5" as...
1. MWC
2. MAC
3. AAC
4. C-USA
5. SBC

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Im on my phone so i'll keep typing to a minimum.

On field product, brand recognition, recruiting/scheduling prowess, facilities, coaching etc...

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Will Snack Packs work? They're much cheaper.

Did I ****ing say Snack Pack? No. I did not. Don't cheap out on us

superman7515
April 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
This troll's not even funny. At least chattownmocs and some of the others make me laugh. He just makes me feel bad for him.

Very dry. Plays the "you hate me for my religion" card, but in a boring way. More of the TennesseeBoyintheRockies vein.

AppAlum2003
April 18th, 2013, 11:55 AM
2 threads with basically the same conversation ... I think my head is going to explode

I'd say welcome to AGS but you've been here longer than me.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Whoops. Sorry.

xpopcornx

Looks like you've got this joint figured out pretty well.

Apphole
April 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Will this madness ever end http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/2013/04/not-so-fast-my-friend-is-liberty-really.html , please God let this be over like both Appalachian State and Georgia Southern's days of football dominance is over for the foreseeable future.

You're a cult member and your school will never be in an FBS conference. Deal with it the way you dealt with Curly Jefferson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrovp-rW7JA

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Im on my phone so i'll keep typing to a minimum.

On field product, brand recognition, recruiting/scheduling prowess, facilities, coaching etc...

Based on the best couple teams in the conf or the entire conf?

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Idiot

Don't feed the troll.

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM

xlolx

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
It's easy to perform well in bowls when you are playing other weak conferences.

So, you think App State and GSU should easily be battling for the SBC championship right away? I mean, it's a weak conference...;)

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM

xlolx So, I guess the Sun Belt isn't so bad after all, right?

BTW, congrats on Liberty's football dominance. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2013, 01:03 PM

xlolx

Yeah that comment probably shouldn't have had the submit button hit considering the circumstances.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2013, 01:16 PM
So, you think App State and GSU should easily be battling for the SBC championship right away? I mean, it's a weak conference...;)

I do. I think both teams will be well undermanned as far as the scholly catch up and they will still both be in the top portion of the conference and doing so with a decided disadvantage for the first year or two.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
xlolx So, I guess the Sun Belt isn't so bad after all, right?

BTW, congrats on Liberty's football dominance. xthumbsupx

I think somehow it's being mistaken that dominance in a SBC is not dominance in a division like App/GSU have had here. Not knocking anything here but I just don't see a Sun Belt Champ as a big deal. I still hope you are one and all but personally I won't be going "wow" look what they did.

It's only my perspective which is well known but what was done here are the things that always had me saying that about App & GSU.

I've always liked the
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zEDKtTnY8oA/UR_jS2b9JQI/AAAAAAAAQ-w/QC61OF8ey5I/s1600/underdog.jpg
aspect of things though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Based on the best couple teams in the conf or the entire conf?

Based on depth as well....

The AAC will be the best league this year due to Louisville and Rutgers. Cincy, ECU, UConn and Temple should also make bowl games this year.

This is a critical year for the Owls. We played a lot of young, talented players last year and competed fairly well. Temple needs another solid season to keep interest going.

In time, the MAC MIGHT prove to be the best of the lot. So much depends on the AAC's stability. Which, I think, will stay together and could become stronger.

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 02:27 PM

I do actually.

cmaxwellgsu
April 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Very dry. Plays the "you hate me for my religion" card, but in a boring way. More of the TennesseeBoyintheRockies vein.

Speaking of TennesseeBoy, how's he been doing?

CID1990
April 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM

In reality, I don't expect either of them to be lower than middle of the pack in the SBC in their first season, and that's worst case.

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
WKU fans probably thought the same.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM
In reality, I don't expect either of them to be lower than middle of the pack in the SBC in their first season, and that's worst case.

A lot depends on their OOC scheduling and their ability to build depth.

GSU is going to be interesting to watch because of their offense. I wonder if their coach plans to "evolve" the Triple-O a little bit.

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I think somehow it's being mistaken that dominance in a SBC is not dominance in a division like App/GSU have had here. Not knocking anything here but I just don't see a Sun Belt Champ as a big deal. I still hope you are one and all but personally I won't be going "wow" look what they did.

It's only my perspective which is well known but what was done here are the things that always had me saying that about App & GSU.

I've always liked the
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zEDKtTnY8oA/UR_jS2b9JQI/AAAAAAAAQ-w/QC61OF8ey5I/s1600/underdog.jpg
aspect of things though.

I get that, I really do. And, I'm ok with that. Moving to the FBS has it's pros and cons, just like any decision.

I just think it's ridiculous for people to talk out of both sides of their mouths. The SBC can't suck/be on the same level as FCS, yet have App and GSU be horrible. It doesn't jive.

asumike83
April 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
A lot depends on their OOC scheduling and how much depth they can build.

Will take a couple years to build experienced depth but I have a feeling the App coaches will haul in a very nice 2014 class. FBS move combined with opening 2014 at the Big House bodes well for our chances to build excitement and pull in quality recruits.

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I do. I think both teams will be well undermanned as far as the scholly catch up and they will still both be in the top portion of the conference and doing so with a decided disadvantage for the first year or two.

I do actually.

I hope y'all are right!

ASUMountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 02:45 PM
A lot depends on their OOC scheduling and their ability to build depth.

GSU is going to be interesting to watch because of their offense. I wonder if their coach plans to "evolve" the Triple-O a little bit.

I'm not sure if it will ultimately help us fair better once we're in the SBC, but apparently App is implementing the pistol into our offensive attack. Should be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I hope y'all are right!

..and you thought I was going to smack talk App. Shame on you.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Lets get real here. There's a new head coach and essentially a brand-new staff. It's impossible to say how App will do next year or beyond because the architect of their success is now gone.

I'm not saying App will do well or do horribly, but anyone who thinks they know the answer really doesn't.

In contrast, Georgia Southern runs their own special triple option offense and a staff in place that has run it very well the past couple of years. They seem more likely to be able to continue their success for FCS to FBS, IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Lets get real here. There's a new head coach and essentially a brand-new staff. It's impossible to say how App will do next year or beyond because the architect of their success is now gone.

I'm not saying App will do well or do horribly, but anyone who thinks they know the answer really doesn't.

In contrast, Georgia Southern runs their own special triple option offense and a staff in place that has run it very well the past couple of years. They seem more likely to be able to continue their success for FCS to FBS, IMO.

I think both will find out that the actual level of play in the SBC vs SoCon is not that different 6 weeks a year. However, it's those other 5 or 6 games that will be the game changers.

asumike83
April 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM

That is inaccurate. Satterfield was essential in implementing the spread in 2004, called the plays all of our championship years and was the OC/QB coach last year. The only change on the offensive staff was bringing in one more assistant for QB's. 10 of 11 starters and every offensive coach on staff returns from a 2012 unit that put up 470 yards per game.

The major change was demoting Dale Jones from DC to DL coach and hiring Nate Woody from Wofford. Only one defensive coach left, the prior DL coach. Anyone who watched an App game last year would likely agree that some changes on defense were needed.

Jerry Moore will be missed but it is far from a brand new staff. 10 of the 12 coaches on staff were in Boone last season.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I get that, I really do. And, I'm ok with that. Moving to the FBS has it's pros and cons, just like any decision.

I just think it's ridiculous for people to talk out of both sides of their mouths. The SBC can't suck/be on the same level as FCS, yet have App and GSU be horrible. It doesn't jive.

It would be ridiculous if one certain guy were saying both of those things at the same time. I don't think it's ridiculous that different guys would be saying different things or that one guy would say I think you will do fine in the Belt but you won't be seeing glory in FBS. I think FBS glory is not defined by SBC glory since at this point, to me, the SBC is playing at a level that is just barely if at all above the top four or five FCS conferences in spite of a general scholly advantage and some buget advantage provided primarily by the institution and/or students.

dgtw
April 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I think Appy and Georgia Southern have a good chance to get off to a good start in the Sun Belt. They will be in a division with Georgia State, another FCS call up that recently started their program and haven't had much success on the field or in the stands. They also have South Alabama, another new program. The SBC may add another FCS team, but we don't know who it will be. The only full FBS member in the East will be Troy, who has struggled the last few years.

The West has Texas State, another team new to FBS and Idaho and NMSU, which just plain suck.

So they'll be on equal footing with at least half the league, even if they are still powering up to 85 FBS scholarships.

Mountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
That is inaccurate. Satterfield was essential in implementing the spread in 2004, called the plays all of our championship years and was the OC/QB coach last year. The only change on the offensive staff was bringing in one more assistant for QB's. 10 of 11 starters and every offensive coach on staff returns from a 2012 unit that put up 470 yards per game.

The major change was demoting Dale Jones from DC to DL coach and hiring Nate Woody from Wofford. Only one defensive coach left, the prior DL coach. Anyone who watched an App game last year would likely agree that some changes on defense were needed.

Jerry Moore will be missed but it is far from a brand new staff. 10 of the 12 coaches on staff were in Boone last season.

Great post, Mike. I do enjoy reading facts in comparison to agenda-pushing misinformation.

If anything, this upcoming season is probably the most excited I've been about App football in a couple years. The recruiting appears to be doing better than ever, and I think the team will acquit themselves quite well next year too.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
WKU fans probably thought the same.

Why do people always act like WKU was some kind of FCS superpower? They had one year where everything came together and they won the NC but they are nowhere near as consistently successful as App. and GSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Why do people always act like WKU was some kind of FCS superpower? They had one year where everything came together and they won the NC but they are nowhere near as consistently successful as App. and GSU.

I agree. WKU has always been a basketball school. I think their move had more to do with hoops than it did pigskin.

TheRevSFA
April 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM

If you want to use the accurate team, use ULM. However, Both Georgia Southern and App are in better positions to move than ULM was.

MplsBison
April 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I agree. WKU has always been a basketball school. I think their move had more to do with hoops than it did pigskin.

They were in the Sun Belt for all sports except football. They're still in the Sun Belt this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM
They were in the Sun Belt for all sports except football. They're still in the Sun Belt this year.

Which is why they wanted the all sports affiliation.

forbidden
April 18th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Let us not forget the middle of the pack in the SBC was what 3/4 wins, lol. Some people around here really thinking that they have a conf of world beaters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Let us not forget the middle of the pack in the SBC was what 3/4 wins, lol. Some people around here really thinking that they have a conf of world beaters.

The conference is easily the weakest FBS conference. With that said, the SBC is still capable of producing a legit national team on occasion.

The hardest thing is maintaining success in a conference like the SBC. The coaching staff turnover is usually very high. If App State or GSU enjoy immediate success they'll be looking for new coaches before they know it.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 03:56 PM
You're a cult member and your school will never be in an FBS conference. Deal with it the way you dealt with Curly Jefferson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrovp-rW7JA

Is it just me or do you seem a little butt-hurt, try being more friendly.

I thought I had already ask you to head over to the Sun Belt board.

Have a nice life at the bottom of the Sun Belt.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2013, 04:01 PM
This forum is getting untenable to read. I say that having been here a while.

My head can simply not take any more hypothetical arguments surrounding conference affiliations. On a national scene, the SunBelt is not sexy. The SoCon is not sexy. The CAA is not sexy. The MVC? Also not sexy. Sure, there was a blurb on ESPN's website for 45 minutes announcing GSU and App were moving. Bryce Harper throwing up during a baseball game last night got more air time. That's where we all are nationally. Less important than Bryce Harper vomiting during game 14 of 162. Let's all just accept it.

We follow small college football because there is something reassuring about not having to dive into the mass of unwashed heathens. We watch a team because it is our team and our alma maters, not because we went to WalMart and found a shirt on discount. Not a single person here can opine whether the SunBelt is good, bad or otherwise. Furman fared substantially better at Florida than FAU did two years ago. Does that mean Furman could win the SunBelt? Who knows? Who cares?

IBleedYellow
April 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM
IBY, see what happens when you forget the purple font? Lakes, I mean Mpls gets even more ornery.

Lakes I'm cool with. He bought me shots at Fort Knoks downtown this winter when we started talking Bison sports. I don't even know if Mpls is a Bison fan, or if he exists.

Look, you clearly have some deep rooted issues toward Liberty, but if you're ever in town let me buy you a few rounds of beer so we can depart as friends.

I have no deep rooted issues with Liberty. I love free beer, though.

I have issues when someone with 9 posts tries to talk **** about two of the most historic football programs of FCS. Yes, they have arrogant fans, but at least their football product backs it up on the field. Hell, NDSU fans before we came FCS said we were going to do well in the FCS because of our DII Championships. The best part was the GSU and App State posters telling us no. Since then our football team is 2-0 vs Georgia Southern, 3-0 overall, and sadly we won't ever get to play App State. That said, your little Liberty that you think is so high and might has done nothing. Your fans have no reason to be arrogant, much less even go to the FBS. It's something about learning your place. Yeah, when we showed up on the FCS scene we talked about us running the place and it was were we were meant to be. Prove how we were wrong, please.

I'm a very humble person until someone tries to start talking smack when they have nothing to back that smack up. If you want to bash someone just based on hate, get that crap to FCS Smack.

Considering you're playing FCS football this year, I'd say yes. But you have to buy everyone on AGS a round.

This forum is getting untenable to read. I say that having been here a while.

My head can simply not take any more hypothetical arguments surrounding conference affiliations. On a national scene, the SunBelt is not sexy. The SoCon is not sexy. The CAA is not sexy. The MVC? Also not sexy. Sure, there was a blurb on ESPN's website for 45 minutes announcing GSU and App were moving. Bryce Harper throwing up during a baseball game last night got more air time. That's where we all are nationally. Less important than Bryce Harper vomiting during game 14 of 162. Let's all just accept it.

We follow small college football because there is something reassuring about not having to dive into the mass of unwashed heathens. We watch a team because it is our team and our alma maters, not because we went to WalMart and found a shirt on discount. Not a single person here can opine whether the SunBelt is good, bad or otherwise. Furman fared substantially better at Florida than FAU did two years ago. Does that mean Furman could win the SunBelt? Who knows? Who cares?

My honest opinion? People strive to be better. They see that there are greener pastures and they believe that they can take some of those for themselves. Will that happen? Only God knows right now. You can't harm them for striving for the best. At the same time, there is a very slim chance that App State or GSU will become the next Alabama of the FBS. The way the money currently is going around that just won't happen.

Do I believe it's the best decision for them? I have no right to judge or to even attempt to give a guess at how it will affect their campus.

Do I believe it's the best decision for NDSU? Not at this time. So I wish App State and GSU the best in their transition. Those cocky arrogant bastards are going to make some Sunbeltbbs fans pissed at them, and then their "little FCS team" is going to win, and they'll be even more pissed while they just say "Told you so."

NDSU did the same damn thing. To think that two of the most storied programs in FCS can'd do the same thing is blasphemous.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 04:30 PM
How has Appalachian State performed against FBS opponents over the last 8-years:

09/01/12 East Carolina 35-13 (L)
09/03/11 Virginia Tech 66-13 (L)
11/20/10 Florida 48-10 (L)
09/05/09 ECU 29-24 (L)
08/30/08 LSU 41-13 (L)
09/01/07 Michigan 34-32 (W)
09/02/06 NC State 23-10 (L)
09/03/05 Kansas 24-16 (L)

Appalachian is 1-7 against FBS opponents over the last eight seasons.

Appalachian State has allowed a total of 300 points scored against them for a average of 37.5 PPG against the aforementioned FBS teams.

Appalachian State has forced 131 points against the aforementioned FBS teams for a average of 16.37 PPG.

Is Appalachian State ready to play FBS football, and will they slip into obscurity?

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 04:36 PM
How has Appalachian State performed against FBS opponents over the last 8-years:

09/05/09 ECU 29-24 (L)
08/30/08 LSU 41-13 (L)

Appalachian State has allowed a total of 300 points scored against them for a average of 37.5 PPG against the aforementioned FBS teams.

Appalachian State has forced 131 points against the aforementioned FBS teams for a average of 16.37 PPG.

Is Appalachian State ready to play FBS football, and will they slip into obscurity?

To be fair, 30-40% of FBS would probably fair about the same against that slate.

I'm not sure if App State will fall into obscurity but they will definitely lose their "niche" and a bit of their identity. App St will also lose some of their casual fans who enjoyed rooting for a regional, winning team.

WH49er
April 18th, 2013, 04:39 PM

09/05/09 ECU 29-24 (L)
08/30/08 LSU 41-13 (L)

I'll go ahead stick up for App here and let you know they won't be playing VT, LSU, and NC State every weekend. They will take their lumps just like all of the new teams in FBS but the set of results you've presented is skewed to say the least.

If anything is going to drag App down, it will be the costs associated with a conference that is spread out.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Lakes I'm cool with. He bought me shots at Fort Knoks downtown this winter when we started talking Bison sports. I don't even know if Mpls is a Bison fan, or if he exists.

I have no deep rooted issues with Liberty. I love free beer, though.

I have issues when someone with 9 posts tries to talk **** about two of the most historic football programs of FCS. Yes, they have arrogant fans, but at least their football product backs it up on the field. Hell, NDSU fans before we came FCS said we were going to do well in the FCS because of our DII Championships. The best part was the GSU and App State posters telling us no. Since then our football team is 2-0 vs Georgia Southern, 3-0 overall, and sadly we won't ever get to play App State. That said, your little Liberty that you think is so high and might has done nothing. Your fans have no reason to be arrogant, much less even go to the FBS. It's something about learning your place. Yeah, when we showed up on the FCS scene we talked about us running the place and it was were we were meant to be. Prove how we were wrong, please.

I'm a very humble person until someone tries to start talking smack when they have nothing to back that smack up. If you want to bash someone just based on hate, get that crap to FCS Smack.

Considering you're playing FCS football this year, I'd say yes. But you have to buy everyone on AGS a round.

My honest opinion? People strive to be better. They see that there are greener pastures and they believe that they can take some of those for themselves. Will that happen? Only God knows right now. You can't harm them for striving for the best. At the same time, there is a very slim chance that App State or GSU will become the next Alabama of the FBS. The way the money currently is going around that just won't happen.

Do I believe it's the best decision for them? I have no right to judge or to even attempt to give a guess at how it will affect their campus.

Do I believe it's the best decision for NDSU? Not at this time. So I wish App State and GSU the best in their transition. Those cocky arrogant bastards are going to make some Sunbeltbbs fans pissed at them, and then their "little FCS team" is going to win, and they'll be even more pissed while they just say "Told you so."

NDSU did the same damn thing. To think that two of the most storied programs in FCS can'd do the same thing is blasphemous.

"That said, your little Liberty that you think is so high and might has done nothing."

When have I ever said that Liberty is high and mighty? I have not.

When have I ever said that Liberty belongs in the FBS? I have not.

However, it appears that you are a little bitter that Liberty was being considered for the FBS and NDSU was not which goes to hurt you credibility. However, the offer for free beer still stands.

Just because I am new to this board does not mean that I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to football, I've played football on the collegiate level and been watching football for the last 31 years of my life.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'll go ahead stick up for App here and let you know they won't be playing VT, LSU, and NC State every weekend. They will take their lumps just like all of the new teams in FBS but the set of results you've presented is skewed to say the least.

If anything is going to drag App down, it will be the costs associated with a conference that is spread out.

Actually it's not skewed, it's a fair representation of what Appalachian State has done with FBS teams over the past 8 seasons, you can't argue with the numbers.

The teams that Appalachian will be facing even in the Sun Belt has had years to recruit and build their programs and App has a lot of catching up to do.

IBleedYellow
April 18th, 2013, 04:49 PM
"That said, your little Liberty that you think is so high and might has done nothing."

When have I ever said that Liberty is high and mighty? I have not.

When have I ever said that Liberty belongs in the FBS? I have not.

However, it appears that you are a little bitter that Liberty was being considered for the FBS and NDSU was not which goes to hurt you credibility. However, the offer for free beer still stands.

Just because I am new to this board does not mean that I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to football, I've played football on the collegiate level and been watching football for the last 31 years of my life.

When someone talks smack about good programs and has not stated much yet, credability needs to be earned.

I am not bitter at Liberty at all. If you guys would have made it into the Sun Belt that would have been awesome for you guys. I personally don't want NDSU to go into FBS yet. There is no butthurt or bitterness about that, so it shouldn't hurt the credability.

I'm sorry that you're new, but most of the time new posters don't just come right out of the gun with such a vengeance. I'd like to think that I didn't come out with crazy statements when I started posting here.

Mountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Indeed, it's never easy to go on the road at a 22 scholarship disadvantage against quality (for the most part) FBS opponents.

That said, playing against our peers in FCS over the past 8 seasons:

2005: 12-3, SoCon Champs, National Champs
2006: 14-1, SoCon Champs, National Champs
2007: 13-2, SoCon Champs, National Champs
2008: 11-3, SoCon Champs, Playoffs
2009: 11-3, SoCon Champs, Playoffs
2010: 10-3, SoCon Champs, Playoffs
2011: 8-4, Playoffs
2012: 8-4. SoCon Champs, Playoffs

87-23, 7 SoCon Champs, 8 Playoffs

An additional 22 scholarships, facilities, fan/alumni support and it's not far-fetched to say that Appalachian, and Georgia Southern, can do well in the Sun Belt. We're not projecting ourselves to be world beaters out of the gate (no matter what you and other folks keep proclaiming), but neither are we going to be bottom dwellers and piddle away into obscurity.

frozennorth
April 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM
liberty or lehigh? can it be both?

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 05:10 PM
To be fair, 30-40% of FBS would probably fair about the same against that slate.

I'm not sure if App State will fall into obscurity but they will definitely lose their "niche" and a bit of their identity. App St will also lose some of their casual fans who enjoyed rooting for a regional, winning team.

I would like to play Lehigh every year, it was a good game even though we lost.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Indeed, it's never easy to go on the road at a 22 scholarship disadvantage against quality (for the most part) FBS opponents.

That said, playing against our peers in FCS over the past 8 seasons:

2005: 12-3, SoCon Champs, National Champs
2006: 14-1, SoCon Champs, National Champs
2007: 13-2, SoCon Champs, National Champs
2008: 11-3, SoCon Champs, Playoffs
2009: 11-3, SoCon Champs, Playoffs
2010: 10-3, SoCon Champs, Playoffs
2011: 8-4, Playoffs
2012: 8-4. SoCon Champs, Playoffs

87-23, 7 SoCon Champs, 8 Playoffs

An additional 22 scholarships, facilities, fan/alumni support and it's not far-fetched to say that Appalachian, and Georgia Southern, can do well in the Sun Belt. We're not projecting ourselves to be world beaters out of the gate (no matter what you and other folks keep proclaiming), but neither are we going to be bottom dwellers and piddle away into obscurity.

Once again bragging about their FCS record, don't you know that your FCS record doesn't matter any more. Wake up and smell the nightmare that is the FBS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I would like to play Lehigh every year, it was a good game even though we lost.

The games the last two years were excellent. I wouldn't be surprised if the two play again in the near future. I'm sure Liberty would like to change their 0-3 record against the Hawks.

Mountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Once again bragging about their FCS record, don't you know that your FCS record doesn't matter any more. Wake up and smell the nightmare that is the FBS.

Of course our FCS record matters, you silly man. xlolx After this year, it may be history, but it doesn't simply disappear. Maybe one day Liberty fans will have something to look back on fondly. xthumbsupx

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
The games the last two years were excellent. I wouldn't be surprised if the two play again in the near future. I'm sure Liberty would like to change their 0-3 record against the Hawks.

Yeah, Liberty has a real problem with acting like champions but forgetting to win the games. If Liberty can ever play on the field like they act off it they will be pretty good.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Of course our FCS record matters, you silly man. xlolx After this year, it may be history, but it doesn't simply disappear. Maybe one day Liberty fans will have something to look back on fondly. xthumbsupx

Key Word: PAST

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Liberty has a real problem with acting like champions but forgetting to win the games. If Liberty can ever play on the field like they act off it they will be pretty good.

What was the first thing Liberty saw last year when they got off the bus at Washington-Griz? Me standing there with a Lehigh shirt on. Turner Gill gave me a thumbs up...lol

Mountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Key Word: PAST

Yes, it's nice to have one. I still like the FCS level of football. I like what Appalachian has accomplished at this level. 83 seasons (84 after this year) aren't going to vanish in smoke simply because you're angsty about it. xlolx

I'm sure when Liberty has developed a proud history you'll probably feel the same way. xnodx

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
What was the first thing Liberty saw last year when they got off the bus at Washington-Griz? Me standing there with a Lehigh shirt on. Turner Gill gave me a thumbs up...lol

By the way congratulations on beating DUKE in that tournament game, the look on coach K's face was classic.

AppAlum2003
April 18th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Is there a gas leak at Liberty? Where are these people coming from? Wow.

Your hardon for AppState is showing.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Is there a gas leak at Liberty? Where are these people coming from? Wow.

Your hardon for AppState is showing.

Well, with the online students liberty has 100k+ students and all of them like football.

And my reply to you is to get off the Kool Aid.

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Should we bring in Liberty's fbs record into this...since they think they can make the jump?

I might move to a computer to post it...here's a hint it sucks...playing teams FAR worse than ASU

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Should we bring in Liberty's fbs record into this...since they think they can make the jump?

I might move to a computer to post it...here's a hint it sucks...playing teams FAR worse than ASU

Go right ahead, I am sure it is very similar to App's

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Since 2005 the Flames have acquitted themselves pretty well against FBS teams. Their only "ugly" showing came against UConn.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Liberty's record against FBS opponents over the last 9 seasons (did not play an FBS opponent in 2008):

09/01/12 Wake Forest 20-17 (L)
09/03/11 N.C. State 43-21 (L)
09/11/10 Ball State 27-23 (W)
09/05/09 West Virginia 33-20 (L)
10/06/07 Toledo 35-34 (L)
09/30/06 Wake Forest 34-14 (L)
09/10/05 UCONN 59-0 (L)
09/11/04 Kent State 38-10 (L)

Liberty University has allowed 289 points to be scored by their last 8 FBS opponents for a total of 36.12 PPG

Liberty University has forced 139 points against their last 8 FBS opponents for a total of 17.37 PPG

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Liberty's FBS record against teams that were FBS at time of game...

1989 - Eastern Michigan...WIN 24-25
1992 - Northern Illinois...loss 27-27
1994 - Toledo...loss 47-37 1999 - Marshall...Loss 63-3
2001 - UCF...loss 63-0
2001 - USF...loss 68-37
2002 - Akron...loss 49-21
2003 - Toledo...loss 49-3
2003 - BGSU...loss 62-3
2004 - Kent State...loss 38-10
2005 - UCONN...loss 59-0
2006 - Wake Forest...loss 34-14
2007 - Toledo...loss 35-34
2009 - West Virginia...loss 34-20
2010 - Ball State...WIN 27-23...congrats on beating the 160th Sagarin ranked team that season
2011 - NC State...loss 43-21
2012 - Wake Forest...loss 20-17

Mighty impressive...if only App State played some of those tough teams....

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
With all of that FBS success Liberty should be DOM-IN-ATING the Big South conference...right?

5 conference titles since 07...mighty impressive...

only 1 out right...

the 4 they split they lost the tiebreaker in every one.

You should be dominating that **** *** conference with that kind of FBS prowess.

Saint3333
April 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Liberty football playoff history?

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 07:56 PM
What's that you say? Liberty has a losing record against EVERY SINGLE FCS CONFERENCE except the Big South, MEAC, partial scholly NEC, and non-scholly Pioneer? 4 of the worst FCS leagues. Wow...I would have thought they'd be dominating the FCS. The MEAC, Big South, and Pioneer finished in that order at the bottom of the Sagarin rankings this year...sans the SWAC who finished just a head of the Pioneer

Confernce..................................wins... .losses......ties.....win %.........PF.........PA........Delta

Big Sky Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=20&restrictions=none)

Big South Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=21&restrictions=none)

Colonial Athletic Association (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=9&restrictions=none)

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=114&restrictions=none)

Missouri Valley Football Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=59&restrictions=none)

Northeast Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=144&restrictions=none)

Ohio Valley Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=151&restrictions=none)

Patriot League (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=160&restrictions=none)

Pioneer Football League (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=163&restrictions=none)

Southern Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/liberty/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=180&restrictions=none)

If it wasn't for Chuck South being one of the 3 worst FCS programs in America their record would be much worse

Hell, take the Big South out of the equation due to the pure number of games and Liberty has been outscored by just about 500 points by FCS opponents...or an average score of 26-14

What's that...Liberty has a .500 record or lower against 3 D2 conference? Sacrebleu, how can that be?

Mountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Puts in perspective Duane's aversion to history. xsmugx

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 08:29 PM
University of Northern Iowa's record against FBS opponents over the past 10 seasons:

9/1/12 Wisconsin 26-21 (L)
9/15/12 Iowa 27-16 (L)
9/3/11 Iowa State 20-19 (L)
9/25/10 Iowa State 27-0 (L)
9/5/9 Iowa 17-16 (L)
8/30/8 BYU 41-7 (L)
9/8/7 Iowa State 24-13 (W)
9/30/6 Iowa State 28-27 (L)
9/17/5 Iowa 45-21 (L)
9/4/4 Iowa State (L)

Not very good is it? I guess if you play Iowa State enough you will eventually beat'em, and look you did.

Perhaps UNI should play some other teams besides Iowa or Iowa State, but that's right UNI holds the belief that if you play Iowa or Iowa State enough you're bound to eventually beat'em.

Good luck with this year's corn crop A-****.

Look, you're playing Iowa State again this year!

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 18th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Northern Iowa's record against FBS teams has nothing to do with Liberty's unbelievably good fortune to not be joining the armpit of FBS football, the SunBelt.

Stop trolling, Duane.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Northern Iowa's record against FBS teams has nothing to do with Liberty's unbelievably good fortune to not be joining the armpit of FBS football, the SunBelt.

Stop trolling, Duane.

I am not trolling.

Why is it that any time a Liberty fan says any thing about any team they're trolling, but its fine when other teams fans crap on Liberty?

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 08:39 PM
We've played Big 10 and B12 teams closer than you've played the ****ing MAC. You really want to get started on this one? I wouldn't expect any less from a Falwell follower.

I can pull the same stats you have and spin almost every one of those games just like you tried to do

Wisconsin - had the ball inside Wisconsin territory with 4 minutes left in the game with a chance to go a head and win the game...turned the ball over on downs. Averaged more yards per play than Wisconsin. Started a freshman QB, a couple new OL, 6 of 7 first time starters up front on defense, lost 2 of the top 3 WR from the year before...

Iowa 2012 - tough game. Still put up 5.9 yards per play to Iowa's 6.0. Had a chance to completely swing the game in the third and didn't. Lost 2 starting LB's to injury in the first half...could have made a huge difference. Tough stretch for UNI going Wisconsin, D2, Iowa, YSU, SIU, NDSU in back to back to back to back to back to back weeks to open the season

Iowa State 2011 - had the lead with 19 seconds left (19-14)...Iowa State "completed" a pass in the back of the endzone after their QB scrambeled around for about 10 seconds. If the WRs knee was IB it was by about 1-10th of an inch.

Iowa State 2010...out gained Iowa State by over 100 yards while starting 3 new OL and a new QB in a brand new option style system. ISU had 2 pick 6's...both of about 80 yards. Iowa State did not score on a possession that they did not start in their own territory.

Iowa 2009...first time in history of football that a team has blocked field goals on BACK TO BACK PLAYS...both with less than 10 seconds left on the clock. The kicker that was blocked is UNI's all time leading scorer, all conference kicker, probably the best or second best kicker in UNI history. That Iowa team went on to win the Orange Bowl

BYU 2008...starting a brand new QB...not a great game.

Iowa State 2007 - we straight kicked their ***. That game should have been about 35-7

Iowa State 2006 - missed a last second field goal by inches that would have won the game

Let's keep trying to compare Liberty playing the MAC/CUSA to UNI/ASU playing the B1G, B12, SEC, etc...

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I am not trolling.

Why is it that any time a Liberty fan says any thing about any team they're trolling, but its fine when other teams fans crap on Liberty?
If this topic was about UNI it would be appropriate....you're too stupid to understand that.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 18th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I am not trolling.

Religious persecution. Plain and simple.

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Oh boy...time for Liberty fans who can't take being called out on bull**** to hide behind their religion card.

****ing typical.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM
If this topic was about UNI it would be appropriate....you're too stupid to understand that.

U MAD BRO?

Do you drive your tractor to the games?

"If you build it they will come."

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 08:46 PM

It was inappropriate for you to get involved between me and the Appalachian State people, but you're to dumb to understand that, right.

clenz
U MAD BRO?

Do you drive your tractor to the games?
Ah yes...you live in Iowa...you must be a farmer. Typical ignorance. I can play this game

You go to/went to Liberty... instead of a school song do you guys open the hymnal that is under your seat and sing Jesus Loves me?

You go to/went to Libery...do you have problems with blacks on your football team? Jerry would have.

clenz
It was inappropriate for you to get involved between me and the Appalachian State people, but you're to dumb to understand that, right.
Ah...but I stayed on topic and didn't try to bring something completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Are all you Libertard fans this ****ing stupid? BJ, SuperHornet, DuaneAllman, etc...

Does Liberty actually teach anything when it comes to reading comprehension, or just shove beliefs down your throats instead of having you read and actually grasp what you're being taught....like most religious instituions.

AppAlum2003
April 18th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Ok, now it's getting better.

we just need him to tell us Liberty is the Mecca of college football and we're halfway there.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Ah...but I stayed on topic and didn't try to bring something completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Are all you Libertard fans this ****ing stupid? BJ, SuperHornet, DuaneAllman, etc...

Does Liberty actually teach anything when it comes to reading comprehension, or just shove beliefs down your throats instead of having you read and actually grasp what you're being taught....like most religious instituions.

Actually I graduated from Catawba College and have never attended or been a student at Liberty University, so you have crap on your face.

But that does not change the fact that you are a corn farmer, does it A-****!

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Actually I graduated from Catawba College and have never attended or been a student at Liberty University, so you have crap on your face.

Nope...what does change the fact that I'm a corn farmer....is the fact I'm not a corn farmer...nor have I ever lived on a farm...so there's crap on your face...you doo doo brain!

I actually have a job where I have to wear a tie to work every day, have to shave every day, have very strict guidelines as to how long my hair can be, the kind of clothes I wear, etc... more crap your face you bad word.

Asshole huh? Very un-christian of you to be calling names and using naughty no-no words...especially aimed at someone.

CID1990
April 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Liberty's FBS record against teams that were FBS at time of game...

1989 - Eastern Michigan...WIN 24-25
1992 - Northern Illinois...loss 27-27
1994 - Toledo...loss 47-37 1999 - Marshall...Loss 63-3
2001 - UCF...loss 63-0
2001 - USF...loss 68-37
2002 - Akron...loss 49-21
2003 - Toledo...loss 49-3
2003 - BGSU...loss 62-3
2004 - Kent State...loss 38-10
2005 - UCONN...loss 59-0
2006 - Wake Forest...loss 34-14
2007 - Toledo...loss 35-34
2009 - West Virginia...loss 34-20
2010 - Ball State...WIN 27-23...congrats on beating the 160th Sagarin ranked team that season
2011 - NC State...loss 43-21
2012 - Wake Forest...loss 20-17

Mighty impressive...if only App State played some of those tough teams....

Any time Kent State hangs more than 28 on you... Jesus is just not/not in your court.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Southern Bison
April 18th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Did I seriously just see the word "doo-doo" on an AGS thread? In the words of our very own Silver Alert-issued Citdog...Oy vei!

Southern Bison
April 18th, 2013, 09:21 PM

Mountaineer, keep in mind that when NDSU showed up in the FCS and on AGS, we were firmly instructed that our 8 National Championships in the College Division & D-II didn't matter and didn't count by fans of schools that had won DI-AA/FCS championships and even by fans of schools that hadn't. You go on to the SBC boards and ASU/GaSo will all be hearing the same damn thing.

(Not poking, just pointing out...)

asumike83
April 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM

09/05/09 ECU 29-24 (L)
08/30/08 LSU 41-13 (L)

Once again bragging about their FCS record, don't you know that your FCS record doesn't matter any more.

If our FCS record doesn't matter any more, why does our record as an FCS program playing on the road at a 22 scholarship disadvantage?

Yes, if our schedule consists of all road games against ECU, Kansas, NC State, Florida, LSU, VA Tech and Michigan, we're not going to fare well. Spoiler alert: App is probably going to lose to Georgia in Athens this year, as would every single mid-major FBS program.

Losing in Death Valley, The Swamp and Lane Stadium is just as irrelevant as beating SoCon teams or winning at the Big House in terms of how easily App will transition to a mid-major FBS conference. Not until App has a couple years of recruiting as an FBS program with 85 scholarship players on the roster will anyone know how well they will do. Personally, I like our chances.

Mountaineer
April 18th, 2013, 09:50 PM
You go on to the SBC boards and ASU/GaSo will all be hearing the same damn thing.

That train has already come and gone, man. :D Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit, especially from the schools that have never won one. Didn't bother the NDSU fans as y'all are just as obnoxious (okay, more so :p) now as you were back then.

But..when it's coming from some douche Liberty poster or a Lehigh troll, gotta put the foot down. xtroublex

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM
That train has already come and gone, man. :D Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit, especially from the schools that have never won one. Didn't bother the NDSU fans as y'all are just as obnoxious (okay, more so :p) now as you were back then.

But..when it's coming from some douche Liberty poster or a Lehigh troll, gotta put the foot down. xtroublex

That better not be me again....I've made nothing but reasonable comments. AppPhilly sent me a personal apology because I was getting killed due to LFN.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Nope...what does change the fact that I'm a corn farmer....is the fact I'm not a corn farmer...nor have I ever lived on a farm...so there's crap on your face...you doo doo brain!

I actually have a job where I have to wear a tie to work every day, have to shave every day, have very strict guidelines as to how long my hair can be, the kind of clothes I wear, etc... more crap your face you bad word.

Asshole huh? Very un-christian of you to be calling names and using naughty no-no words...especially aimed at someone.

LOUD NOISES!

~Brick

Southern Bison
April 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM
... the NDSU fans as y'all are just as obnoxious (okay, more so :p) now as you were back then.

Well, we've earned it since we're looking to join you in 3-peat land, given GaSo a 0-3 record against us and have the best FBS-opponent record in the FCS.

asumike83
April 18th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Well, we've earned it since we're looking to join you in 3-peat land, given GaSo a 0-3 record against us and have the best FBS-opponent record in the FCS.

I'd just like to point out that App beat GSU all 3 of those years too. :D

Y'all have definitely earned it.

clenz
April 18th, 2013, 11:45 PM
LOUD NOISES!

~Brick

Typically religious **** tard response to pretty much everything

ursus arctos horribilis
April 19th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Well this has now just degenerated down to

hell I'm not sure what it is. I know the new guy looks to be trying to make a name for himself and turn cogent debate into something other than that for whatever reason.

As much as I enjoy the new username DALives the style of posting is just too much like MPLSBison and we don't need a duplicate in that regard. If you want a smack thread then no one has a problem with that but I'd ask you start them in that forum just so we all know what you are looking for.

clenz
April 19th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Ursus...I was just starting to have fun.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 19th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Ursus...I was just starting to have fun.

Oh I get it and not saying you two can't carry on. Just trying to give some direction to our new friend that it appears to me he was looking for a fight from the giddyup and if that is what he's doing it might just be better to put it in the fight ring to begin with. By all means though feel free to keep the fun rolling, I'm not trying to wreck that. xlolx

frozennorth
April 19th, 2013, 02:34 AM
University of Northern Iowa's record against FBS opponents over the past 10 seasons:

2006 ball state 29-24 (w) minnesota 10-9 (L)
2007 central Michigan 44-14 (W) minnesota 71-21 (w)
2008 Wyoming 16-13 (L)
2009 Iowa State 34-17 (L)
2010 Kansas 6-3 (W)
2011 Minnesota 37-24 (W)
2012 Colorado St 22-7 (W)

now with that established, asu and gsu are both more than ready to compete the SBC. Liberty is not even close.

How does anyone who didn't go there become a fan of a school as vile as liberty?

forbidden
April 19th, 2013, 06:19 AM
2006 ball state 29-24 (w) minnesota 10-9 (L)
2007 central Michigan 44-14 (W) minnesota 71-21 (w)
2008 Wyoming 16-13 (L)
2009 Iowa State 34-17 (L)
2010 Kansas 6-3 (W)
2011 Minnesota 37-24 (W)
2012 Colorado St 22-7 (W)

now with that established, asu and gsu are both more than ready to compete the SBC. Liberty is not even close.

How does anyone who didn't go there become a fan of a school as vile as liberty?

Some of u guys kill me with ur perception, of what u think you know. Ill be completely honest the only reason I'm an LU fan is because my kid is going to go there, and yes he had other options but he chose to go there, so it is what it is. I had reservations from what I had heard about the school, but after actually going and doing my own personal research it wasn't as bad as had been portrayed. I know that they hv a history, and that can't be denied but a lot has changed and is not what it once was.

A loss is a loss period 1 point or 21 points, it makes no one team really more ready than the next. FCS, as we know has 22 fewer schollies so that can make a diff in a game, vs FBS. If they win a game as App did it just makes it that much sweeter because u slayed a proverbial dragon, but as we see on the norm FCS loses to FBS 9.5 out of 10. I would bet that a lot of the same kids that LU had offered some of these sunbelt schools would as well. So to me at least there are a lot of different factors that play in a kids decision to end up at LU. I would ask if some of u looked at who we offered this past year could not play on many if not all SBC teams.

I kno at times I may make a stupid comment, but some of you are really talking out ur butts when you say what you think you know, versus actual facts. It's not always a kids first it could b his only option to go to a school as "vile" as LU

Off my soapbox now.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 19th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Another comment, I can understand why people are leery about their team moving to FBS but lol at people ranking the SBC below the MAC and the CUSA. Did folks check and see how the SBC (minus the members leaving after this season) did against the CUSA? Yeah MTSU lost to McNeese but it's not like MAC and CUSA teams haven't had really underwhelming performances against FCS teams as well. I guess if you are ranking based on bowl tie-ins but with the actual on-field results it's a tough sell.

WH49er
April 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Actually it's not skewed, it's a fair representation of what Appalachian State has done with FBS teams over the past 8 seasons, you can't argue with the numbers.

The teams that Appalachian will be facing even in the Sun Belt has had years to recruit and build their programs and App has a lot of catching up to do.

ULL, ULM, and Arkansas State are not even close to the likes of LSU and VT. It's far from a "fair" representation.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 08:43 AM
..and you thought I was going to smack talk App. Shame on you.

xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM

There are several that disagree with this sentiment. For once, we agree.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 08:48 AM
It would be ridiculous if one certain guy were saying both of those things at the same time. I don't think it's ridiculous that different guys would be saying different things or that one guy would say I think you will do fine in the Belt but you won't be seeing glory in FBS. I think FBS glory is not defined by SBC glory since at this point, to me, the SBC is playing at a level that is just barely if at all above the top four or five FCS conferences in spite of a general scholly advantage and some buget advantage provided primarily by the institution and/or students.

The problem is that there are some guys saying both of those things at the same time...even App fans. xnodx

Not that one year indicates a trend, but given the SBC's success against CUSA last year, do you feel the same about CUSA?

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Who? xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 08:54 AM
The conference is easily the weakest FBS conference. With that said, the SBC is still capable of producing a legit national team on occasion.

The hardest thing is maintaining success in a conference like the SBC. The coaching staff turnover is usually very high. If App State or GSU enjoy immediate success they'll be looking for new coaches before they know it.

I'm not sure it's "easily" the weakest FBS conference. It depends on how you look at it I suppose. I think the SBC and CUSA are pretty close to equal. Of course, calling them equal still makes them the bottom end of FBS. My thought is, so what?

As to coaches, hopefully App is protected a bit given that Satterfield is an App State guy, but one couldn't blame him for advancing his career if a bigger opportunity was presented.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Is it just me or do you seem a little butt-hurt, try being more friendly.

I thought I had already ask you to head over to the Sun Belt board.

Have a nice life at the bottom of the Sun Belt.

Have a nice life sharing titles in the Big South.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 09:26 AM

09/05/09 ECU 29-24 (L)
08/30/08 LSU 41-13 (L)

Why do you care so much?

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Hardly. I'm a card-carrying Southern Baptist. Duane is a troll because he's trolling. You and him have that in common. It has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with douchey posts.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
That better not be me again....I've made nothing but reasonable comments. AppPhilly sent me a personal apology because I was getting killed due to LFN.

It is always in reference to LFN.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM

1) "Crap on your face." Really? Are you 4?

2) Why are you censoring the word "hole?" There is nothing sinful about that word. xnodx

Apphole
April 19th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Don't catch the gay!

http://www.goddiscussion.com/109039/liberty-university-prof-says-homosexuality-caused-by-toxins-released-from-porn-videos/

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hardly. I'm a card-carrying Southern Baptist. Duane is a troll because he's trolling. You and him have that in common. It has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with douchey posts.

Go ahead and recharge your sarcasm detector.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Go ahead and recharge your sarcasm detector.

Will do, haven't had to use it on your posts in quite a while...figured it was good collecting dust.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Judging by their activity on this thread and others, there seems to be some insecurity among the ASU fans about the Slum Belch move.

forbidden
April 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Who? xcoffeex

Well they are not any owls around, look at the SBC standings from last year half the teams finished .500 or worse. Is that supposed to b good, or is that just good for the SBC, and you wonder why the new entry teams feel they have a shot at competing right away for a conf title, they don't hv but so much in front of them.

Apphole
April 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Judging by their activity on this thread and others, there seems to be some insecurity among the ASU fans about the Slum Belch move.

I think it has more to do with picking on a deranged Liberty fan.

We take solace knowing that the SBC is head and shoulders above every single FCS conference in the nation, in every single category -- from level of play and fan support to athletic budgets and revenue.

forbidden
April 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM

We take solace knowing the the SBC is head and shoulders above every single FCS conference in the nation, in every single category -- from level of play and fan support to athletic budgets and revenue.

Sheesh, Stand up, don't drop down so fast, very unbecoming (with a school with an 8.6 budget)

clenz
April 19th, 2013, 11:08 AM
1) "Crap on your face." Really? Are you 4?

2) Why are you censoring the word "hole?" There is nothing sinful about that word. xnodx

you know that the extreme religious ****s that liberty has ate uncomfortable with anything that could be slightly sexual...saying hole could turn him gay

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM

We take solace knowing that the SBC is head and shoulders above every single FCS conference in the nation, in every single category -- from level of play and fan support to athletic budgets and revenue.

Not in Top 30 FBS wins last year. 0-fer.

Not in level of play. Countless Sun Belt schools have been "upset" by FCS schools over the last decade, I can't even begin to recount them all. MTSU got beat by UTM two years ago. Southland schools don't go into Sun Belt games hoping to survive, they are aiming to win those games because they beat them a lot.

Not in fan support. ASU and GSU outdrew most of the Sun Belt in FCS.

Not in NET revenue, which matters a hell of a lot more than revenue.

And look at ULM's athletic budget again. About half of FCS has an athletic budget larger then theirs.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 19th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Apphole,

I would like to personally apologize to you, if Liberty University has offended any homosexual person for that matter. Jerry Falwell lived in a time when being gay was considered detestable by the majority of Americans. However, Jerry Sr. is dead and its time to quit living in the past. I don't hear anyone condemning Adolph Rupp for his atrocious comments about African-Americans, they realize that he was a product of his generation and that most Americans agreed with him at the time.

Other schools have been just as intolerant as Liberty, just look at Furman's founder Richard Furman and his defense of slavery [1833], or perhaps the Citadel and VMI among others. The point being that all of the aforementioned people are dead.

Let's agree to stick to football on this board, and quit attacking every Liberty fan that post comments on this board because of your issues with the late Jerry Falwell.

Let us be respectful to each other.

Sincerely,

DuaneAllmanLives

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM

Nah, we just love feeding trolls. xnodx

We would have insecurity if we were in the Big South like the Flames.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Well they are not any owls around, look at the SBC standings from last year half the teams finished .500 or worse. Is that supposed to b good, or is that just good for the SBC, and you wonder why the new entry teams feel they have a shot at competing right away for a conf title, they don't hv but so much in front of them.

Try again.

You said there were people on here posting that the SBC is full of world beaters. I'm asking who are these people?

bjtheflamesfan
April 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I would also like to note that if you come and visit the Flamefans message board Apphole, you will find that the vast majority of Liberty fans are not mindless religious zealots who think that using a**hole will somehow turn you gay. We are a very respectful lot and can have perfectly good and respectful commentary with fans from any school that stop on by. Sly Fox, who regularly posts here as well, is often extending an invitation to anyone who wants to sign up. (There are some parameters put in place because we had a run of spambots take over the site some years ago, but that shouldnt keep you from introducing yourself)

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 11:38 AM
you know that the extreme religious ****s that liberty has ate uncomfortable with anything that could be slightly sexual...saying hole could turn him gay

xlolx

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Not in level of play. Countless Sun Belt schools have been "upset" by FCS schools over the last decade, I can't even begin to recount them all. MTSU got beat by UTM two years ago. Southland schools don't go into Sun Belt games hoping to survive, they are aiming to win those games because they beat them a lot.

And look at ULM's athletic budget again. About half of FCS has an athletic budget larger then theirs.

Why do you care so much?

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Apphole,

I would like to personally apologize to you, if Liberty University has offended any homosexual person for that matter. Jerry Falwell lived in a time when being gay was considered detestable by the majority of Americans. However, Jerry Sr. is dead and its time to quit living in the past. I don't hear anyone condemning Adolph Rupp for his atrocious comments about African-Americans, they realize that he was a product of his generation and that most Americans agreed with him at the time.

Other schools have been just as intolerant as Liberty, just look at Furman's founder Richard Furman and his defense of slavery [1833], or perhaps the Citadel and VMI among others. The point being that all of the aforementioned people are dead.

Let's agree to stick to football on this board, and quit attacking every Liberty fan that post comments on this board because of your issues with the late Jerry Falwell.

Let us be respectful to each other.

Sincerely,

DuaneAllmanLives

That's hilarious. xthumbsupx There's hope for you yet.

clenz
April 19th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I'll also add that Adolph rupp is detested by many fit his treatment of blacks.

Oral Roberts the same as liberty and Falwell.....large part of the reason the mvc wanted no part of oru when we were looking for new team

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Why do you care so much?

I like facts.

Saint3333
April 19th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Sheesh, Stand up, don't drop down so fast, very unbecoming (with a school with an 8.6 budget)

Homework for you tonight:

Research the term ROI and report back Monday.

Apphole
April 19th, 2013, 12:06 PM

How did the FCS do against the BCS top 25? 0-fer. In fact, only App State (a Sun Belt school) has ever done so in the history of the FCS level.

Countless? I'd say it is easy to quantify. The overall level of play is much better in the SBC than any FCS conference. For every rare upset, you have 100 blowouts.

Anyway, this point confused me since, as an App State fan, I don't believe in entering a game not hoping and expecting to win.

Two SBC schools. The average attendance of the SBC (even without the two school swing that App and GaSo bring) is much higher than any FCS conference.

Yes in NET revenue. There are a few individual Sun Belt schools (ULM) that have relatively low fund situations, but as a conference, the SBC has more $.

Ok. I choose to cherry pick Charleston Southern as a representation of an entire conference/subdivision.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 19th, 2013, 12:12 PM
The problem is that there are some guys saying both of those things at the same time...even App fans. xnodx

Not that one year indicates a trend, but given the SBC's success against CUSA last year, do you feel the same about CUSA?

Yes right now. They do have a little bit better chance of not staying down that the SBC I think but it could be a shift, who knows. I think the way everything is changinn though the better teams moving out of each and to the next conference will keep them in the traditional order over time.

To be honest ASUM I don't follow FBS real closely and am not even sure exactly who makes up the CUSA anymore and didn't go take a look so take my uneducated response fwiw.xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I like facts.

xlolx That's hilarious.

The problem is that your so-called "facts" are too subjective to be actual "facts." The only verifiable fact is that you're a troll. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Yes right now. They do have a little bit better chance of not staying down that the SBC I think but it could be a shift, who knows. I think the way everything is changinn though the better teams moving out of each and to the next conference will keep them in the traditional order over time.

To be honest ASUM I don't follow FBS real closely and am not even sure exactly who makes up the CUSA anymore and didn't go take a look so take my uneducated response fwiw.xthumbsupx

xlolx it's all good. I don't get the incessant hating of the Sun Belt by people here, but oh well. All that matters is the App State and GSU are happy to be in SBC. I just can't help myself with some of these clowns. xrotatehx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2013, 01:03 PM

How did the FCS do against the BCS top 25? 0-fer. In fact, only App State (a Sun Belt school) has ever done so in the history of the FCS level.

So not "head and shoulders ahead of FCS".

Countless? I'd say it is easy to quantify. The overall level of play is much better in the SBC than any FCS conference. For every rare upset, you have 100 blowouts.

So to disprove this, I need to find 2 Sun Belt upsets over the last two years. So, 2012, McNeese State 27, MTSU 21, 2011, Indiana State 44, Western Kentucky 16 (!). Done.

This seems to indicate that the levels of play are quite comparable. (Fun exercise: Try to figure out the Sun Belt vs. FCS record when removing the obvious patsies like Grambling and Austin Peay! It might be .500! Or less!)

Two SBC schools. The average attendance of the SBC (even without the two school swing that App and GaSo bring) is much higher than any FCS conference.

Let's look at the real numbers:

App State 26,835
Georgia Southern 18,487
Georgia State 12,309 (without a doubt a padded figure)

Idaho 12,582
Texas State 18,945
NMSU 14,247
South Alabama 16,793
Troy 20,952
ULM 24,981
ULLF 22,865
Arkansas State 26,398

So I was mistaken. App State outdrew every single one of their future SBC conferencemates without padding their numbers. Georgia Southern outdrew about half of their new conferencemates.

So, wrong.

And a note about the average Sun Belt attendance. So, if your average decreases, but the conference average gets higher, is that OK with you? How exactly does that help App State? Sure there are schools with low average attendance in the SoCon, but does that matter to App State at all?

Yes in NET revenue. There are a few individual Sun Belt schools (ULM) that have relatively low fund situations, but as a conference, the SBC has more $.

So I was right again. And again, what does the average mean to App State? Nothing.

Ok. I choose to cherry pick Charleston Southern as a representation of an entire conference/subdivision.

You said that the SBC is head and shoulders above every single FCS conference in the nation, in every single category -- from level of play and fan support to athletic budgets and revenue.[/B] I picked one of the members of said conference with a budget that is almost entirely financed by guarantee games, the equivalent of surviving paycheck to paycheck. They are not representative of every school of the Sun Belt, and yet they are a member.

Georgetown has subpar facilites and doesn't fully fund football. But I never claimed that the Patriot League is head and shoulders above any other FCS conference, let alone the subdivision, in athletic budgets. You did so with the Sun Belt, and I rightfully brought up ULM.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2013, 01:06 PM
xlolx That's hilarious.

The problem is that your so-called "facts" are too subjective to be actual "facts." The only verifiable fact is that you're a troll. xthumbsupx

Yeah, I guess those official NCAA Attendance numbers from 2012 are subjective. And the EADA reports for ULM. And the W/L record of the Sun Belt vs. FBS. And the record versus FBS Top 30 teams from last year. Riiiight.

Look it up.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM
^^I was going to do some of this research myself but you seem willing to do it for me. Thank you. Do you have the athletics budget data of the various SBC schools and the CAA Football schools, for instance?

I notice that Charlie Cobb's profile on the ASU websiste touts ASU's $14.5M annual athletics budget for 2012-13. I believe that number is roughly 50% less than little old Richmond's athletics budget.

Can an ASU fan elighten me on the myriad of accomplishments of the ASU athetics department, besides 3 straight FCS title games and the win over Michigan (which are really impressive accomplishments, of course)?

I was able to note that this athletics powerhouse boasts 2 trips to the NCAA basketball tourney and Zero wins in its history.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2013, 01:12 PM
^^I was going to do some of this research myself but you seem willing to do it for me. Thank you. Do you have the athletics budget data of the various SBC schools and the CAA Football schools, for instance?

I notice that Charlie Cobb's profile on the ASU websiste touts ASU's $14.5M annual athletics budget for 2012-13. I believe that number is roughly 50% less than little old Richmond's athletics budget.

Can an ASU fan elighten me on the myriad of accomplishments of the ASU athetics department, besides 3 straight FCS title games and the win over Michigan (which are really impressive accomplishments, of course)?

The EADA website allows you to get athletics info. I didn't look them all up but I looked up ULM last week when I looked up all of them for the Sun Belt.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Good luck.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
The EADA website allows you to get athletics info. I didn't look them all up but I looked up ULM last week when I looked up all of them for the Sun Belt.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Good luck.

Thank you. Can you educate the unenlightened why this site indicates the ASU Athletics budget is $19M and Charlie Cobb's profile says it is $14.5M?

The $19M number is still $3M less than Little Ole' Richmond and about $6M less than Delaware, for instance.

dbackjon
April 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I guess those official NCAA Attendance numbers from 2012 are subjective. And the EADA reports for ULM. And the W/L record of the Sun Belt vs. FBS. And the record versus FBS Top 30 teams from last year. Riiiight.

Look it up.

ULM's attendance is padded by the "home" game vs Arkansas in Little Rock. Take that out, and avg attendance is below 20K

Saint3333
April 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Last year:
Baseball two outs away from a super regional ranked 29th to end the season
WBB sweet 16 NIT - top70 RPI
Two AA wrestlers
9 SoCon conference championships

For 14.5m we have one of the best ROIs at the mid major level.

Do you need a ruler next?

MplsBison
April 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Thank you. Can you educate the unenlightened why this site indicates the ASU Athletics budget is $19M and Charlie Cobb's profile says it is $14.5M?

The $19M number is still $3M less than Little Ole' Richmond and about $6M less than Delaware, for instance.

The data shown on the OPE website is from a survey that the schools fill out.

They probably have a summer intern fill it out. Doubt if any of it is audited by the DOE.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Last year:
Baseball two outs away from a super regional ranked 29th to end the season
WBB sweet 16 NIT - top70 RPI
Two AA wrestlers
9 SoCon conference championships

For 14.5m we have one of the best ROIs at the mid major level.

Do you need a ruler next?

Damn. You really went for the Women's NIT Sweet 16 Dumpster Dive, huh?

Saint3333
April 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I guess women's sports don't count all of sudden. A mid-major women's program finishing in the top 25% of their sport is an accomplishment.

You wanted to talk about athletic departments as a whole, but if you'd like to change the parameters of the debate have at it.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Look it up.

What do attendance numbers have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

What do the W/L records for FCS vs. FBS teams have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

What does the EADA report on ULM have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

What do the Sun Belt teams' records against the FBS top 30 have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

Your mantra has been that App State has made a mistake. You are so invested in this that you troll every thread, even those unrelated to App State, to continue your trolling. You act as if you know better than the administration at App State. Please, tell us what "facts" you have that show that you know more about what's best for App State than Ken Peacock, Charlie Cobb, the App State BOT, etc. I've asked you for this numerous times and you either don't answer or return to ranting/trolling. So, man up, answer the question, deliver the facts, and show us that you are in the wrong profession and should be helping schools make such decisions. I'm still waiting for someone to provide indisputable proof that the status quo would have been in the best interest of App State. The "fact" is that no one can provide that proof. App State made the decision that it felt was in its best interest...deal with it.

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM

I was able to note that this athletics powerhouse boasts 2 trips to the NCAA basketball tourney and Zero wins in its history.

What does that matter for a move to FBS?

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM
What does that matter for a move to FBS?

Nothing. See post #176.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 19th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I don't think I get enough credit for starting this thread.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM
What do attendance numbers have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

What do the W/L records for FCS vs. FBS teams have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

What does the EADA report on ULM have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

What do the Sun Belt teams' records against the FBS top 30 have to do with this being the wrong decision for App State?

Nothing. I'm responding to this:

About the only thing he stated as fact here that had a grain of truth to it was "revenue", which I pointed out that "net revenue" matters, not "revenue", and he agreed.

I'm not trying to change your mind about how great you think the SBC is. I'm debunking clear falsehoods about the "head and shoulders above FCS" charge is. And if the facts offend you or anyone, I'm not sorry.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I don't think I get enough credit for starting this thread.

xholyx

xbowx

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Nothing. I'm responding to this:

About the only thing he stated as fact here that had a grain of truth to it was "revenue", which I pointed out that "net revenue" matters, not "revenue", and he agreed.

I'm not trying to change your mind about how great you think the SBC is. I'm debunking clear falsehoods about the "head and shoulders above FCS" charge is. And if the facts offend you or anyone, I'm not sorry.

I've never claimed this. I've simply tried to point out your bias and trolling. Nothing more, nothing less.

I just find the sheer amount of time you spend harping against App State's move to be astonishing.

DuaneAllmanLives
April 19th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Re: NCAA Realignment Megathread
by LUaddict » April 19th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Some news in regards to JMU and C-USA news, from the W&M Athletic Director

http://flathatnews.com/2013/04/19/athlet...-gift-caa/

"The committee also discussed the status of the CAA, which has seen several members leave in part of a nation-wide trend to align with large conferences.

“The CAA is hoping to add three schools, to bring the total to twelve,” Driscoll said.

Driscoll explained that all current members of the CAA have verbally agreed to stay; although, there has been speculation that JMU will link with Conference USA in the future.

“They have not been offered to join Conference USA, and their board does not yet understand the financial implications of joining,” Driscoll said.

With the departure of the University of Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth University and, most recently, Old Dominion University, the College and JMU remain as the only Virginia-based schools in the CAA."
LUaddict
Blaze

ASUMountaineer
April 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Nothing. See post #176.

Cool. So how do App State's past athletic accomplishments matter? You're the one that implied that they do.

AppAlum2003
April 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Wow, so this is still happening.

ASU_Fanatic
April 19th, 2013, 06:23 PM
man I don't want Liberty in the conference

Accelerati Incredibilus
April 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM

To be clear.... App State basketball is just something to entertain us until Spring Football and baseball rolls around. Track is our other marquee sport. Men have won 19 outdoor and 18 indoor titles - which is roughly 50% since joining the SoCon) and had 5 All Americans. Women have won 17 indoor and 18 outdoor - 70+% -since the SC began sponsoring women's track 24 years ago, 9 All Americans and 2 NCAA D-I national champions. App has been a wrestling stronghold dating back to our D-II days. ASU dominated SoCon soccer in 70's & 80's, fell off for 10-15 years when we couldn't recruit good players with the old astroturf playing surface, but is making a comeback with the new stadium and field turf surface. Still boasts 13 conference championships and several trips to the NCAA Tournament. Women's soccer and softball have been middle of the road programs. Volleyball is competitive with 8 championships and spending time mostly in the top 4 teams in the conference. Boone is not exactly a prime location for attracting good tennis and golf recruits, but they have been improving.

Southern Bison
April 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Just a quick question for Apphole that the answer is only Yes or No and can resolve all of this bickering: Has App State & GaSo been invited to the SunBelt Conference and moved into a FBS transition period?

asumike83
April 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I like facts.

So to disprove this, I need to find 2 Sun Belt upsets over the last two years. So, 2012, McNeese State 27, MTSU 21, 2011, Indiana State 44, Western Kentucky 16 (!). Done.

Why is the fact that MTSU/WKU are going to C-USA only relevant when discussing their accomplishments?

clenz
April 20th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Just a quick question for Apphole that the answer is only Yes or No and can resolve all of this bickering: Has App State & GaSo been invited to the SunBelt Conference and moved into a FBS transition period?

Not apphole, but...

Yes

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Rumor has it Sam is getting an invite to the SBC

Tubakat2014
April 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Rumor has it Sam is getting an invite to the SBC

If so, then great. We need about 7,000 more fans per game, but that's just a minor detail...

Apphole
April 22nd, 2013, 10:41 AM

As the only person qualified to answer this man's question, I will oblige:

Yes!