PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell/Duquesne in OT

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
now 28-28

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Bucknell scored in the closing seconds to force OT...

Pard4Life
September 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
This game is still playing? There are probably 5 people in attendance for this monsoon game.. PL is taking a beating today... Lafayette the only OOC win so far...

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
This game is still playing? There are probably 5 people in attendance for this monsoon game.. PL is taking a beating today... Lafayette the only OOC win so far...
game still in OT...

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
game still in OT...
Bucknell wins 31-28 in OT

Pard4Life
September 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Wow... Bucknell wins... Ken_Z 's prophecies are now making me nervous...

Andy
September 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Dukes missed a FG in OT

bison137
September 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
The Bison led by 7 at the half but then fell behind midway through the fourth quarter. They then held Duqesne on downs with 2 minutes left near their own 30 and marched 70 yards to tie it at the end. In OT, the Bison were on defense first and held Duquesne, forcing a relatively long FG try, which was missed. Thus the Bison only needed a FG, which they got.

As for the attendance in the remnants of Hurricane Ernesto, it was greater than five but not real large. The announcers just before OT said there were 2000 in the stands at that point.

The only possible bad news. I was out and only tuned in late but I think I heard them referring to an injury to starting QB, Andrew Lair, the transfer from Navy. Hopefully we're not going to start another run like last year when we lost our top 3 QB's in the first three weeks. In any event, backup Terrence Wilson did a real good job down the stretch.

I'm still sticking with my much maligned prediction of 3-3 in the PL and 5-6 wins overall, although the young defensive line sounds like it has a ways to go.

Pard4Life
September 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
The Bison led by 7 at the half but then fell behind midway through the fourth quarter. They then held Duqesne on downs with 2 minutes left near their own 30 and marched 70 yards to tie it at the end. In OT, the Bison were on defense first and held Duquesne, forcing a relatively long FG try, which was missed. Thus the Bison only needed a FG, which they got.

As for the attendance in the remnants of Hurricane Ernesto, it was greater than five but not real large. The announcers just before OT said there were 2000 in the stands at that point.

The only possible bad news. I was out and only tuned in late but I think I heard them referring to an injury to starting QB, Andrew Lair, the transfer from Navy. Hopefully we're not going to start another run like last year when we lost our top 3 QB's in the first three weeks. In any event, backup Terrence Wilson did a real good job down the stretch.

I'm still sticking with my much maligned prediction of 3-3 in the PL and 5-6 wins overall, although the young defensive line sounds like it has a ways to go.

The Bison are definetely worth keeping an eye on.. especially given their valiant comeback effort. If Fordham is as bad as their loss to Monmouth indicates and Gtown and HC are not as strong, it is entirely plausible to go 3-3... heck, if Lehigh is not up to standard, BU might give them a run.. but it will be awhile before we see if Lehigh is in trouble...

bison137
September 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
I was figuring 2-1 vs HC, Fordham, and Georgetown, plus one upset win over the "big 3". We shall see. I think next Saturday night's game could be interesting.

bison137
September 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
One positive for the Bison is that they rushed for 418 yards on 56 attempts ( 7.5 yards per carry). Highly regarded frosh Rashod Bumpers had 127 yards on 9 carries, including a 51 yard TD run and a key run on the tying drive. He also had a 33 yard reception. The other highly regarded frosh RB, Paul Forcellini, carried 10 times for 71 yds. QB Andrew Lair, in his first college game, had 7 carries for 49 yards and was 2-2 for 48 yards passing. Unfortunately he was apparently injured late in the second quarter.

Backup QB Terrence Wilson had a good run on the tying drive and then ran 15 yards for the tying TD.

In total, the Bison started four first-year players. It might have been five since Duquesne's starting freshman OT defected from the Bison to Duquesne shortly before pre-season camp started.

bison137
September 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Andrew Lair, the Bison starting QB, who is essentially a freshman, suffered a hip injury in the second quarter after getting off to a strong start. KenZ and I can only hope that this is not going to be a repeat of 2005 when all three Bison QB's were hurt in the first couple of weeks. Although Terrance Wilson, the backup, is also a good runner, Lair is the better passer of the two.

Two other positives for the Bison, other than the great performances of the two frosh running backs, were the performances of the two frosh starters on defense. Linebacker Sam Nana-Sinkham had 15 tackles (13 unassisted) and a sack, and DE Josh Eden led the DL in tackles.

Ken_Z
September 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
as 137 has mentioned, the Bison relied on a ton of young (frosh and soph) players. the talent level of the ones he mentioned is very good, future all-PL potential and lots of ROW awards this year.

the defense needs a lot of work and experience. could not stop the Dukes yesterday. also seemed like they were outmuscled on an excessive number of plays.

all in all, have to be happy with the win. in an odd way, winning a game it felt like should have been lost is nice. the past four years, it seems the opposite has been true too many times. the team hanging in to the end and getting the payoff is hopefully the start of a season where things break our way and the developement of a winning attitude.