PDA

View Full Version : Apps start strong vs. NC State

appisgreatest
September 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
I was surprised at how App responded after starting off the game with a safety and a touchdown against them. App could have started the half down only 16-14 but turned the ball over I believe at the NC state two. The final score was 23-10 NC state. The season looks strong for ASU if they can keep turnovers to a minimum. With the exception of the two or three turnovers App gave up, the score may have been much closer. I was happy with the kicking and puntings units, both looked solid Anyone elses thoughts?

89Hen
September 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
The season looks strong for ASU if they can keep turnovers to a minimum.
That was my thought on AppSt coming into the season. I didn't like what I saw of Elder in regards to protecting the football (in the limited action I saw last year).

AppIAA
September 3rd, 2006, 04:34 AM
i was not at the game (unfortunately). but apparently, elder was seen throwing up on the field.. if he was known to be sick, why did he even play???

appisgreatest
September 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
I read in the sports section this morning that Trey did in fact throw up on the field. He said it wasn't his nerves and that he does that pretty much every game. Im not sure why...maybe a habit

Appstate03
September 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Keanu Reaves threw up in The Replacements and he did pretty good.

I was at the game and the punting unit did not look good. App did look good after that rough start. We had the chances to pull that game out but squandered them. But if we learn to stop the run to the outside, we'll be golden this year.

Eaglegus2
September 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
How did the new rules affect App State?

Did they get the plays off without any problems....rule where the change of possession starts the clock when spotted?

Just wondering how it affects any team.

GSUhooligan
September 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
He better not puke on the pristine field at Paulson or else he might get kicked out.

appisgreatest
September 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
"Did they get the plays off without any problems....rule where the change of possession starts the clock when spotted?"

Are talking about how the clock started after the ref blew the whistle at the start of every play?

AppGuy04
September 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
The offense seemed to be running fine, at times, hurrying NC State, however, the execution was another story. Richardson did not play well at all, averaging less than 2 yard per carry. IMO, we played horrible. We had several chances in the game to get close and even take the lead, but squandered them. NC State defense will once again be a top defense, so I'm hoping that was more of the case than anything else.

goasu984Life
September 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
i was not at the game (unfortunately). but apparently, elder was seen throwing up on the field.. if he was known to be sick, why did he even play???

I was listening to the NC State radio and they were talking about how that was the first time they had ever seen anyone throw up on the field, then the sideline guy said that he played with a guy that threw up on the field, played the same down and scored a touchdown. I can't remember who it was, but that is pretty impressive.

Reed Rothchild
September 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Guys throw up on the field very often. Its not a surprise.

GreatAppSt
September 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Trey took a hit landed with the ball in his stomach and the a late hit to the back of his neck. Got to his knees and hurled and got up wobbly called TO should been taken out.

SoCon48
September 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I was listening to the NC State radio and they were talking about how that was the first time they had ever seen anyone throw up on the field, then the sideline guy said that he played with a guy that threw up on the field, played the same down and scored a touchdown. I can't remember who it was, but that is pretty impressive.

He missed the year that half the Wake Forest puked vs us in Winston-Salem. I'm sure the Groves Stadium mid-field smelled like a sick bay.
Almost made me sick just watching it from 20 rows up..

SoCon48
September 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Guys throw up on the field very often. Its not a surprise.

Very true as anyone who played any high school or college football well knows.

Mr. C
September 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
The offense seemed to be running fine, at times, hurrying NC State, however, the execution was another story. Richardson did not play well at all, averaging less than 2 yard per carry. IMO, we played horrible. We had several chances in the game to get close and even take the lead, but squandered them. NC State defense will once again be a top defense, so I'm hoping that was more of the case than anything else.
Richardson didn't play badly. He had NO holes to run through hardly at all. When he did have holes, he broke off a few nice gains. The only negative on him was his one fumble. He also made at least one very nice catch early on. He got himself open in the end zone for what would have been two touchdowns, but Elder forced an interception on one (would have made it a 16-14 game at the half) and the second was overthrown, just beyond his fingertips. Richardson also had ASU's lone touchdown on a one-yard plunge into the end zone. When App State runs that zone play, if it isn't open, Richardson won't gain yards. The bigger blame has to go to the offensive (which didn't play very well) and an NC State defense that was better than expected. Personally, I felt that the Wolfpack's inexperience would possibly lead to break downs, but it didn't. They are very, very good defensively.

On defense, other than two or three plays where guys missed tackles on Brown (one a 43-yard TD run where nromally sure-tackling Corey Lynch didn't get the job done), ASU's defense was brilliant. One of the NCSU scoring drives was a ridiculous series of plays where the ACC officials (notoriously bad around these parts, they rank with the MEAC and Big Sky from my experience as the worst in the country) called three penalties in four plays, all of them suspect. Well more than half of the yards on that second-half drive (with the Pack ahead just 16-10) were on penalties. If ASU plays as well defensively as it did in the opener, it will be very tough for any I-AA school to score much on it. The offense, however, has some work to do, though the passing stats were misleading. William Mayfield dropped one pass he normally catches that would have gone for a big game and freshman Josh Johnson had a DB tip a ball away at the last second that would have gone for about an 80-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Probably the only I-AA defenses that ASU might see (come playoff time?) that might be comparable with NC State might be Cal Poly, or someone similar (Richmond? Illinois State? Some other candidate?). I would be surprised to see App State go 10-0 the rest of the way. The Mountaineers are now 12-4 in the past two years and 12-1 against I-AA teams.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
I was surprised at how App responded after starting off the game with a safety and a touchdown against them. App could have started the half down only 16-14 but turned the ball over I believe at the NC state two. The final score was 23-10 NC state. The season looks strong for ASU if they can keep turnovers to a minimum. With the exception of the two or three turnovers App gave up, the score may have been much closer. I was happy with the kicking and puntings units, both looked solid Anyone elses thoughts?
Great for the program to play against the ACC win or lose.

It's also tough to repeat as everyone is gunning for you!!!!

Good luck this season...

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Great for the program to play against the ACC win or lose.

It's also tough to repeat as everyone is gunning for you!!!!

Exactly. We had no chance of catching State unprepared even though ther fans called us a JV National Champion.

yoself09
September 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Exactly. We had no chance of catching State unprepared even though ther fans called us a JV National Champion.

No
Championship
State
University
xlolx

at least we have a banner

MountaineerDrive
September 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I think those were two pretty evenly matched teams. The homefield advantage was the difference. (Even though our fans were better man for man and woman for woman.) If that game had been in Boone (I am well aware that is impossible for a number of reasons) I think we would have won. BTW, Andre Brown is a BEAST.

KiddBrewer
September 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think we blew a few too many chances....its crazy, im almost disappointed in losing 23-10 to a BCS school, but last year versus Kansas or a few years ago against Wyoming or Hawaii, I and all others would have been more than pleased with 23-10. i suppose thats how expectations can change so quickly over a years time......ps.....every game ive ever seen trey play in, hes thrown up...not a big story there.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM
He better not puke on the pristine field at Paulson or else he might get kicked out.

Or knocked out! : smash :

asu70
September 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Richardson didn't play badly. He had NO holes to run through hardly at all. When he did have holes, he broke off a few nice gains. The only negative on him was his one fumble. He also made at least one very nice catch early on. He got himself open in the end zone for what would have been two touchdowns, but Elder forced an interception on one (would have made it a 16-14 game at the half) and the second was overthrown, just beyond his fingertips. Richardson also had ASU's lone touchdown on a one-yard plunge into the end zone. When App State runs that zone play, if it isn't open, Richardson won't gain yards. The bigger blame has to go to the offensive (which didn't play very well) and an NC State defense that was better than expected. Personally, I felt that the Wolfpack's inexperience would possibly lead to break downs, but it didn't. They are very, very good defensively.

On defense, other than two or three plays where guys missed tackles on Brown (one a 43-yard TD run where nromally sure-tackling Corey Lynch didn't get the job done), ASU's defense was brilliant. One of the NCSU scoring drives was a ridiculous series of plays where the ACC officials (notoriously bad around these parts, they rank with the MEAC and Big Sky from my experience as the worst in the country) called three penalties in four plays, all of them suspect. Well more than half of the yards on that second-half drive (with the Pack ahead just 16-10) were on penalties. If ASU plays as well defensively as it did in the opener, it will be very tough for any I-AA school to score much on it. The offense, however, has some work to do, though the passing stats were misleading. William Mayfield dropped one pass he normally catches that would have gone for a big game and freshman Josh Johnson had a DB tip a ball away at the last second that would have gone for about an 80-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Probably the only I-AA defenses that ASU might see (come playoff time?) that might be comparable with NC State might be Cal Poly, or someone similar (Richmond? Illinois State? Some other candidate?). I would be surprised to see App State go 10-0 the rest of the way. The Mountaineers are now 12-4 in the past two years and 12-1 against I-AA teams.
IMHO, NCSU defense will be by far the best App will face all year. I think their close to being on par with the D that saw at LSU. They're big, bad, fast, quick, athletic, and play as a unit which about says it all for having a great D. NCSU D-line spanked our O-line most of the game which gave no time to be effective with the run or passing game. That being said, Apps Defense was not far behind NCSU, with the exception of three geat runs by Wolfpack RB.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Or knocked out! : smash :

NC State's Johnny Evans says that Stan Fritts once puked on the field then promptly ran the ball over for a TD. Maybe a linebacker slipped in the liquid cookies and missed the tackle, but what the hell.

NC Aggie
September 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Couldn't get into the game since very few scalped tickets available, but ASU did respectable from listening. Fewer then 200 offensive yards will never win a game. But State probably has a pretty good D.

I would have put 8 in the box all day against NCSU. Stone cannot pass - their only chance was the run from day 1.

Chi Panther
September 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Akron 7 NCState 0 at half time......

Won't look as good for App State if Akron wins in Raleigh.....:confused:

Chi Panther
September 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
14-10 Akron with 5:18 to play in 4th....

NC State HC made a bone head call going for it on 4th and 1 instead of kicking FG to go up 13 to 7 on last possesion.....:nono:

Chi Panther
September 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM
HUGE FUmble by NC State.....:rotateh: