PDA

View Full Version : SCSU/WOFFORD

arranger101
September 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
SCSU-21
Wofford-16

H-A-L-F-T-I-M-E!

Sorry if this thread has been started already. I am posting from the B-CC/SU game(B-CC 10, SU 7...10:58 2nd) from my cell phone...I love technology!!!!:D

arranger101
September 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
Tenn. State-13
Alabama A&M-6
Half

Benedict-21
Savannah State-7:nonono2:
F

I love my VERIZON Chocolate!!!!:bow:

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
28-21 Wofford early fourth

arranger101
September 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
SCSU-21
Wofford-28
F

Oh well, back to my game here JAX....Dayum!:confused:

youwouldno
September 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I called this one.

bosshogg
September 3rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
we got out coached...plain and simple..even woffords coach admitted that scsu had way more talent.....we just got outcoached......buddy pouhg should be ashamed aof himself.....you don't coach a team not to lose...you coach them to win....

we are just like the usa basketball team.....we got more talent, but no swagger.....and nobody is afraid of us

bosshogg
September 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Real McCoy show yet to come

BY GENE SAPAKOFF
The Post and Courier

SPARTANBURG - Ask anyone who knows the dangerous hills and ravines of NCAA Division I-AA football. They know Mike Ayers and his Wofford coaching staff, given extra weeks to prepare, are likely to make things awfully difficult for the marquee talent shining within almost any opposing offense.

Cleveland McCoy, for instance.

South Carolina State's junior quarterback from Hollywood's Baptist Hill High School came into Gibbs Stadium with the target of "I-AA All-America candidate" on his white jersey right along with the garnet and blue No. 19.

McCoy did some good things Saturday night, but not enough to avoid a 28-21 loss to Wofford in the season opener for both teams.

Word is out.

No more sneaking up on defensive coordinators and defensive backs.

McCoy is a 6-3, 220-pound marked man.

Not that the night was a complete failure. Far from it. McCoy threw one touchdown pass and ran for another.

But Wofford pressure on McCoy also resulted in a safety, a fumble and two interceptions as momentum shifted. The Bulldogs hoped for more than 187 yards of total offense from McCoy.

Terrier tenacity or McCoy mistakes?

"A little bit of both," S.C. State head coach Buddy Pough said. "They made some adjustments at the half to take some things away from us, but then on the other hand we had stuff there and we still didn't quite execute it.

"That's what disappointed me. And I've seen Cleveland play better."

Silver linings

Wofford got a big win to start a rugged September schedule stretch that continues with a home game against Coastal Carolina next week, followed by a road trip to South Carolina and a home game against Furman.

Things might be relatively rosier in Orangeburg.

S.C. State, 9-2 each of the last two seasons, primarily is aiming for a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference title. It should help that some potential co-stars emerged at Wofford, including sophomore defensive end Keyon Brooks of Miami and Smith, a redshirt freshman who was a Shrine Bowl wide receiver at Aiken High School.

These Bulldogs are closer than the last few S.C. State teams and McCoy's leadership is a big reason. His Donovan McNabb-type personality, jovial and more than willing to trade barbs, makes him a favorite of teammates.

Of course, action speaks loudest. This reminded some at S.C. State of a 24-23 loss to Coastal Carolina last season.

"We're there, just a couple of plays (away)," McCoy said. "(But) I'm tired of it. I need to check myself."

Star treatment

McCoy can run. His happy feet started left, shuffled right and then went straight ahead for a 9-yard TD dash through heavy traffic to give S.C. State a 14-7 lead.

The kid can pass. On the next Bulldogs possession, he coolly dropped back and connected with wide receiver Terrance Smith on a 66-yard TD pass that was mostly football in flight.

Give Pough credit for tough scheduling. The Bulldogs also play a non-conference game at Coastal Carolina (Sept. 23). Next year, S.C. State faces its first and second major college foes, with dates at Air Force and South Carolina.

It makes for an ideal showcase for McCoy's senior season.

Until then, quarterback and coaching staff must make adjustments to the star treatment McCoy will get from opponents every week.

eaglesrthe1
September 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
UGHH, SCSU is going to have to hope that Wofford does some serious damage in the SoCon, or they are going to have to run everybody out of town in the MEAC, in order to make a splash in the playoffs. A deep hole early, for sure.

arranger101
September 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
UGHH, SCSU is going to have to hope that Wofford does some serious damage in the SoCon, or they are going to have to run everybody out of town in the MEAC, in order to make a splash in the playoffs. A deep hole early, for sure.

I wouldn't go that far, but Buddy needs to stick to the basics...common sense. BTW, what side of the Seaport are you on?

dungeonjoe
September 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
The game seemed to change in the late second quarter on the sSC STate series when Wofford scored the safety. It looked like at that moment the defense, which will be Wofford's chalenge this year jelled.
The bulldogs were soemthing like 0 for 8 on third down conversions.

The qb situation is also working itself out for Wofford.

AndrewFU21
September 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
I see that Kevious Johnson had a 70 yard TD in his first game back. He ended up not getting that many carries though, which is kind of surprising. Very nice win for WoCo and the SoCon.

AppGuy04
September 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't go that far, but Buddy needs to stick to the basics...common sense. BTW, what side of the Seaport are you on?
after watching Hampton/Grambling game, if SCSU is supposed to be on par with Hampton, then this result might be indicative. Hampton was wildly erratic on offense and looks like SCSU was a different team in the 2nd half than the first, going scoreless in the 2nd half. Consistency will be the key for them. In the grand scheme of thing, this game doesn't mean much to SCSU other than in terms of confidence.