PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth vs. Fordham

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Monmouth is up 23-0 on Fordham midway in the 2nd Q.

Go NEC!

Calif_Colonial
September 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Monmouth has thrown for 200 yards in the first quarter! :thumbsup:

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Monmouth is up 23-0 on Fordham midway in the 2nd Q.

Go NEC!

Ace do you have an audio or video link???

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Actually, I was just checking the scoreboard on sportsnetowrk.com

I'm listining and watching CCSU dominate Marist (34-6, 4th Q) on the web.

Here is the NEC's multimedia link for all our games (Monmouth is here)
http://www.northeastconference.org/sidebar.asp?id=791&path=fball

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Actually, I was just checking the scoreboard on sportsnetowrk.com
I'm listining and watching CCSU dominate Marist (34-6, 4th Q) on the web.

Here is the NEC's multimedia link for all our games (Monmouth is here)
http://www.northeastconference.org/sidebar.asp?id=791&path=fball

Thanx :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dane96
September 2nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Ace, besides Ruler, I would love to be sitting with you drinking a beer and soaking up "this week in the NEC."

Even in the losses (Sacred to Lafayette and SBU to Hofstra) the NEC has looked strong, as Hofstra and Lafayette figure to be top teams in their leagues, while SBU and Sacred Heart were (key: were) considered to be middle of the pack NEC.

Give us the games, give us a few years and the NEC could be a viable conference.

By the way, nothing makes me happier than seeing you spank Marist...some of their fans spew so much crap over on the DHansen board....

downbythebeach
September 2nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
Just wait til we upset possible MEAC champ Del State new week.....:hurray:

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Just wait til we upset possible MEAC champ Del State new week.....:hurray:

Sorry Del State is a few years away from being a MEAC champ. They are 1-0 as of today but they have 2 stumbling blocks in Hampton and SCSU.

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Ace, besides Ruler, I would love to be sitting with you drinking in a beer and soaking up "this week in the NEC."

Even in the losses (Sacred to Lafayette and SBU to Hofstra) the NEC has looked strong, as Hofstra and Lafayette figure to be top teams in their leagues, while SBU and Sacred Heart were (key: were) considered to be middle of the pack NEC.

Give us the games, give us a few years and the NEC could be a viable conference.

By the way, nothing makes me happier than seeing you spank Marist...some of their fans spew so much crap over on the DHansen board....

Agreed :hurray:

The UA win is the RESULTS we needed. After all your tough losses, the victory is well deserved! I didn't watch the game, but is sounded like the Danes O-line is huge! They will be tough to beat in the NEC.

SBU played smart and was in the game until the last minutes of the game. It was fun to watch. If they can catch the ball on O, they will be a threat to win a few big games.

I just read the SHU recap, and Lafayette is very lucky to have escaped Fairfield with a win! The LU QB had just 2 completions! If it weren't for a few Pioneer mistakes, they would have stole it.

If Monmouth holds on for the win, it would be great. Proof the NEc isn't a 1 team league!

The NEC is also now heads and shoulders above the MAAC.

Marist is a decent team, in fact they were 4-0 vs. the NEC last year (including wins over NEC co-champs CCSU and SBU). CCSU is taking them to the wood shed. CCSU has almost 300 yrds rushing vs. the Foxes.

Wagner (38-15 W vs. LaSalle) and St. Francis (38-3 W vs. St.Peter's) did their part over bad teams!

The good news is we are all making progress; the bad news is the NEC championship is not an easy task for anyone!

Dane96
September 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
O line absoluetly obliterated the smaller Lehigh line. Pagano went down early with an injury, however we still averaged 6'3, 305.

For the record, we havent played Marist for awhile...they refuse to schedule us.

colgate13
September 2nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
These are all great signs for the NEC. You guys should be proud. :nod:

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Anyone have a final score???

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
23-9 good guys

Pard4Life
September 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
I don't think the Sacred Heart game was as close and dangerous as the score seemed. Lafayette came out of the gate roaring and literally annihilated SHU... two drives, two TDs, first SHU snap ended up in a QB sack and fumble..

However I do think the Leopards were a bit shocked at how well SHU played. Their RB Payne is pretty good back there... I sat there confused as to what I was seeing.. very athletic, quick, and turned corners well... their QB was less of a threat than it appeared.. We played really slow and disorganized at times late in the first half, but we stepped up and won the game when it mattered most.

It is especially good we had some adversity the first game to prepare us the rest of the way. However those penalties are very disconcerting, as are the PAT squad, Maurer, and the secondary. Maurer looked like a rookie and now we don't have Pat Davis to relieve his shakey performance.

Bucknell will be another good test.

blukeys
23-9 good guys

Looks like a bad day for the Patriot League. They have been moving up over the years and making headway in I-AA. Now they have some serious competition in their own backyard!!!!

The Northeast/Mid Atlantic is going to get very interesting in the next few years.

Hansel
These are all great signs for the NEC. You guys should be proud. :nod:
or bad signs for the PL...

colgate13
September 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
or bad signs for the PL...

I think this is going to be a down year for us in general, but the future is still bright. We're just going to lose some ground to the NEC if we don't get our scholarship act together soon.

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
I don't think the Sacred Heart game was as close and dangerous as the score seemed. Lafayette came out of the gate roaring and literally annihilated SHU... two drives, two TDs, first SHU snap ended up in a QB sack and fumble..

However I do think the Leopards were a bit shocked at how well SHU played. Their RB Payne is pretty good back there... I sat there confused as to what I was seeing.. very athletic, quick, and turned corners well... their QB was less of a threat than it appeared.. We played really slow and disorganized at times late in the first half, but we stepped up and won the game when it mattered most.

It is especially good we had some adversity the first game to prepare us the rest of the way. However those penalties are very disconcerting, as are the PAT squad, Maurer, and the secondary. Maurer looked like a rookie and now we don't have Pat Davis to relieve his shakey performance.

Yes, but even though LU was up 13-0 after the first 8 minutes, SHU went into halftime leading 14-13.

Not sure what you mean by close, but it sounded like SHU was in game for almost 3 quarters.

http://sacredheartpioneers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090206aaa.html

----
Also, don't forget SHU was picked to finish in last place in the NEC in the 2006 preseason coaches poll. And of course they finished 4-6 last season (including a 56-21 loss at Holy Cross).

Dane96
September 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM

Did we listen to the same game? Jeesh, YOU GUYS WERE DOWN AT THE HALF...that is a problem when it is to a "lesser tier" league (smirking).

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
I think this is going to be a down year for us in general, but the future is still bright. We're just going to lose some ground to the NEC if we don't get our scholarship act together soon.

NEC's improvement in a very short time is pushing PL to a crossroads.

colgate13
September 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
NEC's improvement in a very short time is pushing PL to a crossroads.
The NEC's improvement is a symptom, not the cause of the issue.

The PL has been standing still while other leagues have made moves (the NEC, the creation of the CAA and missing the Richmond opportunity, the creation of the Great West, etc.). I feel we're treading water right now, and if we don't make that scholarship move and push for another solid member, we're going to take a slide.

Personally, for Colgate it should be PL scholarship approval within 2 years or we look to play football (and if the situation was right), all of our sports somewhere else. We can't let other schools hold us back here. :twocents:

JoltinJoe
September 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
PL needs scholarships to maintain its superiority over the NEC. There is no doubt about it.

Tough loss for Fordham. I honestly thought we outplayed them (at least defensively) from the first quarter on, but we were just awfully flat in the first few minutes, and Monmouth took advantage by throwing up 20 quick points. On that field and with the miserable weather (which got worse as the game progressed), there is just recovering from the hole we placed ourselves in.

I hope we turn it around. As I I have said before, it is a great thing for I-AA football for Fordham to have success, as the unprecedented coverage of the I-AA playoffs in the New York area proved in 2002.

Lafalumni29
September 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Did we listen to the same game? Jeesh, YOU GUYS WERE DOWN AT THE HALF...that is a problem when it is to a "lesser tier" league (smirking).
Sure, we were down at the half, but Pard4life is accurate that is was not as close as it seemed. We only ATTEMPTED 8 passes!!!! Two of them completed, one for a TD!!!! I watched the whole game and we ran the ball at will. I counted 4 different run plays altogether.....that's it.
I don't think any of us are making excuses. We didn't play very well at all. But we got done when we needed to.

Dane96
September 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Sure, we were down at the half, but Pard4life is accurate that is was not as close as it seemed. We only ATTEMPTED 8 passes!!!! Two of them completed, one for a TD!!!! I watched the whole game and we ran the ball at will. I counted 4 different run plays altogether.....that's it.
I don't think any of us are making excuses. We didn't play very well at all. But we got done when we needed to.

How exactly do these facts help your point. You guys only threw the ball 8 times? Ok...let me show you REAL FOOTBALL STATS:

First Downs: 14 for each team...EDGE- EVEN

Yards Rushing- Lafayette 190...on 44 rushes Sacred Heart 119 on 27...EDGE-EVEN

Yards Passing- Lafayette 32 on 2-8 passing Sacred Heart 129 on 17-27 passing....EDGE SACRED HEART

Punts- Lafayette-5 Sacred Heart 2- EDGE- SACRED HEART...means they did more with their opportunities.

Penalties and Time of Possesion- PRETTY MUCH EVEN- EDGE- EVEN

I dunno, football fans and coaches would say that when a Pre-Season poll tied for 7th place team (Sacred Heart in the NEC and having only 1 Pre-Season All-Conference Pick) puts that type of game on the Pre-Season #1team from a higher ranked conference (Lafayette and the PL), it is pretty much a stick to the ribs of the Leopards.

The stats show that the game was more than close, even shows the game was in SHU's favor for a majority of the time. Furthermore, this isnt a top NEC team doing it to the top of the PL....this is the LAST PLACE TEAM!!!

You guys escaped with a victory and good teams need wins like that during playoff years. You did not, however, dominate.

Try a little humility...it is good for the body.

Umass74
September 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Tough loss for Fordham. I honestly thought we outplayed them (at least defensively) from the first quarter on, but we were just awfully flat in the first few minutes, and Monmouth took advantage by throwing up 20 quick points. On that field and with the miserable weather (which got worse as the game progressed), there is just recovering from the hole we placed ourselves in.

I hope we turn it around. As I I have said before, it is a great thing for I-AA football for Fordham to have success, as the unprecedented coverage of the I-AA playoffs in the New York area proved in 2002.

JJ:

I believe Masalla is an excellent coach who will stay with the program. You have to give him more than a couple of games.

Keep the faith---it will get better.

Lafalumni29
September 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
How exactly do these facts help your point. You guys only threw the ball 8 times? Ok...let me show you REAL FOOTBALL STATS:

Yards Passing- Lafayette 32 on 2-8 passing Sacred Heart 129 on 17-27 passing....EDGE SACRED HEART

Punts- Lafayette-5 Sacred Heart 2- EDGE- SACRED HEART...means they did more with their opportunities.

I dunno, football fans and coaches would say that when a Pre-Season poll tied for 7th place team (Sacred Heart in the NEC and having only 1 Pre-Season All-Conference Pick) puts that type of game on the Pre-Season #1team from a higher ranked conference (Lafayette and the PL), it is pretty much a stick to the ribs of the Leopards.

The stats show that the game was more than close, even shows the game was in SHU's favor for a majority of the time. Furthermore, this isnt a top NEC team doing it to the top of the PL....this is the LAST PLACE TEAM!!!

You guys escaped with a victory and good teams need wins like that during playoff years. You did not, however, dominate.

Looking for the humility? How about "we didn't play well at all". I think I made that loud and clear. I dont see the word "dominate" in my post at all. I was making my observation after....yes..... I'm saying it .....a CLOSE game. My point is it was not a close as the stats may seem. But you're hung up on those stats. Hey, we out gained the eventual national champ last year in the playoffs. What in the hell does that mean aftera loss? Nothing.
Think about the pass attempts.....8 attempted passes? What f-in football team attempts 8 passes? Tavani was there to clearly make a point or, at the very least, get the Oline some work.
It's pretty clear the NEC made some noise this wkend. But don't get hung up on some stats from a game you didnt witness. Watch the game first. And, I can't recall us being ranked #1 in the PL.

carney2
September 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM

Nothing but agreement here. From the 6:15 (to go) mark of the 1st Qtr. until the middle of the 3rd, the Pards got pushed around like so many fat kittens. During this period the vaunted offensive line couldn't move a feather duster and the defense looked like some of those Russo teams when Kevin Higgins was on the other sideline.

Maybe Sacred Heart isn't that bad (maybe not, but they're not that good either);

OR

Maybe this is another of Frank's "slow starts" (a disaster with this schedule);

OR

Maybe this is a wake up call;

OR

Maybe the unthinkable.

It's way too early. The Penn game in two weeks is still the key to this season.

Dane96
September 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Looking for the humility? How about "we didn't play well at all". I think I made that loud and clear. I dont see the word "dominate" in my post at all. I was making my observation after....yes..... I'm saying it .....a CLOSE game. My point is it was not a close as the stats may seem. But you're hung up on those stats. Hey, we out gained the eventual national champ last year in the playoffs. What in the hell does that mean aftera loss? Nothing.
Think about the pass attempts.....8 attempted passes? What f-in football team attempts 8 passes? Tavani was there to clearly make a point or, at the very least, get the Oline some work.
It's pretty clear the NEC made some noise this wkend. But don't get hung up on some stats from a game you didnt witness. Watch the game first. And, I can't recall us being ranked #1 in the PL.

You can take your foot out of your mouth; I WATCHED THE GAME TAPE!

JoltinJoe
September 4th, 2006, 06:38 AM
JJ:

I believe Masalla is an excellent coach who will stay with the program. You have to give him more than a couple of games.

Keep the faith---it will get better.

Thanks, UMass74. I owe you a beer.

carney2
September 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Personally, for Colgate it should be PL scholarship approval within 2 years or we look to play football (and if the situation was right), all of our sports somewhere else. We can't let other schools hold us back here. :twocents:

Don't know how I missed this one, but here goes.

Mr. 13, I love you to death, respect your opinions, and try to read every post that you make. In this case however, you have jumped off the proverbial cliff into a pool of silly putty. The 4 core schools of the Patriot League - Bucknell, Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh - are joined at the hip. They are so similar academically, athletically, geographically and in terms of size that none of them could ever find a better fit than with each other. To even broach the subject of trashing the entire athletic program for the sake of moving football to a higher level of (scholarship) competition is ridiculous. Hopefully, you have about as much influence with the administrators at your alma mater as I do at mine.

colgate13
September 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Don't know how I missed this one, but here goes.

Mr. 13, I love you to death, respect your opinions, and try to read every post that you make. In this case however, you have jumped off the proverbial cliff into a pool of silly putty. The 4 core schools of the Patriot League - Bucknell, Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh - are joined at the hip. They are so similar academically, athletically, geographically and in terms of size that none of them could ever find a better fit than with each other. To even broach the subject of trashing the entire athletic program for the sake of moving football to a higher level of (scholarship) competition is ridiculous. Hopefully, you have about as much influence with the administrators at your alma mater as I do at mine.

Note I said 'personally'. I doubt it is the institutional planning. But ultimately, a school has to decide the value of its athletic program and its purpose. IMHO that purpose is to play at the highest level capable for our program, within our own institutional constraints. If we know we can do better than the status quo in football, we should be willing to make that step if the 3 other 'core' schools won't. If, in some strange shuffle of things, an opportunity opened up in football and other sports, we'd be silly to not consider it for the sake of our relationship with BU, LU and LC. A long shot, sure. But it has to be on the table. A 'nuclear' option if you will.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Can't go with you on this, 13. We don't have anywhere to go, unless the long-discussed reformation of the Yankee Conference takes place, and we are not a good a fit with those schools. Moreover, I don't want to end up in another reincarnation of the ECAC North Atlantic Conference. :twocents:

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM

In 2001, Lafayette dominated Lehigh in every statistical category.. offensively, and half defensively... save for one... the SCORE.

Good teams win the game when they have to.

And to counter that punt stat there... SHU had two turnovers and a turnover on downs. Both teams held the ball for long periods so there was not that much change of possession.