PDA

View Full Version : Furman downs Jacksonville State 17-13

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Good game by both teams. What I saw...

Furman needs some work on offense. However, hats off the Gamecocks. Their defense was all over the field. They benefit from having two very good cornerbacks in Agee and Pitts which allows them to stack more in the box. Gray never looked comfortable out there. Coach Lamb said in the post-game interview that he was only 75% at the start of the game.

It was immediately apparent that Furman will have one heck of a defense this year. They delivered a plethora of big hits. Hardin was running most of the game as the pocket collapsed nearly everytime he dropped to pass. There seem to be no weak points in the defense. They only allowed 6 pts and held Payton Award Watch nominee Clay Green to 80 yrds on 19 carries. The fumble for a touchdown was a pitch to nobody. Apparently someone had their plays mixed up.

Defense was the name of the game on a hot day in Greenville. Freshman Jordan Sorrells showed why he was so highly touted coming out of high school. The endzone catch by backup fullback Brantley Kendall was right on target. The flag was for holding on the defense (they had grabbed TE Chris Truss and spun him around).

Furman will continue to improve. It's good for us, I think, to start out with a tough game and then move on to a DII opponent next week in UWG. There is a lot of improvement to be done, but the cogs seem to be in place. I was most impressed with Furman's ability to rotate players in and out of the game, the defensive personell was different nearly every snap it seemed.

All in all, great game by both teams. JAX will be tough in the OVC. I am glad we don't have to see them again for a few years. Pretty nice sized crowd in attendance for the first game of the year with no students. Furman believes they are never out of a ball game. You can see it in their eyes in the 4th quarter that they aren't going to lose. This magic continues to permeate that sideline.

My original prediction was Furman 24-JSU 13. If the fourth down stop was called a TD (and I have pictures that show that it most likely was), then I was spot on with my perdiculating.

Go 'Dins.

bobbythekidd
September 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
"I think, to start out with a tough game and then move on to a DII opponent next week in UWG."

Be sure not to get too cocky. They made us look bad in 94. I think.

Definitly a great showing by both defences.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Tough break for the OVC...this is one of the games that the conference definitely wanted to have as they try to improve their standings in the world of I-AA...

Enjoyed the ending of the game between Furman and JaxSt. Are these two schools playing again next year? It's a nice rivalry between a SoCon and OVC school...

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Furman likes to keep it close, but they normally win....

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Watching the games last year aged me considerably, I think. However, with so many close wins (and a few very close losses) it is apparent that there is rarely a game where Furman doesn't think they are going to win.

I saw a lot of tshirts around today that said "Furman Football: Unfinished Business." Very appropriate.

catamount man
September 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Good win Paladins. I expect you guys to be 3-0 when WCU rolls into town.:thumbsup:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2006, 09:02 PM
You Catamounts sealed your fates last year. We will not be nice to you. I'll scowl if I see you. Zero smiling.

FUOneTime
September 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Good win Paladins. I expect you guys to be 3-0 when WCU rolls into town.:thumbsup:

LOL, a win against UNC is expected eh? We'll have to play a whole lot better than we did today. It was great to see Sorrells play so well after the reports that you "could see the color drain from his face when [Grey] got injured in practice" last week. Grey looked pretty good, but definitely was not mobile and he was hurting us by trying to man up on the field. He spent more time dancing around flexing his ankles and calves than he did taking snaps. He waddled off the field after that pitch to noone as if he had just gotten off Sir Paladin's trusty steed.

Our defensive line was phenomenal. The secondary got burned several of times early but got much better by the 2nd quarter. Holmes came up with a HUGE interception which turned that game around for us. He ended up with 2 INTs and several great defensive plays. Definitely a star of the game. And that hit on JAX's QB on that final pass attempt.... wow.

Jax St had a nice turn-out, and the halftime show was great!

fuEMO
September 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
If Gray was 75 percent on a bad ankle. And he still avoided the JSU pressure. I can't wait to see him healthy. Granted Gray made some poor throws but he also made some great ones. I think this game was just what Furman needed the coaches now have some confidence in Jordan and they should.

Chi Panther
September 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
watching the game for the second time right now on cstv.....and I'm really impressed with JSU's D....

Maybe they will win the conf over EIU.....

and Furman fans.....your field looks fantastic as always....

FU97
September 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
FWIW, the "pitch to nowhere" was caused by an pulling OL hitting the ball out of Gray's hands.

Agree pretty much with all the comments in the first post of the thread.