View Full Version : ETSU has the 9 votes majority from SoCon AD/Presidents

catamount man
April 10th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Per my Catamount source. Welcome back to the SoCon ETSU!!!xthumbsupx

GO CATS!

AmsterBison
April 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Great news!

Can you start right away and come to Fargo for a game?

Sandlapper Spike
April 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Nine would not just be a majority. It would be unanimous, since there are currently only 9 schools that can vote on membership issues.

So you're saying all nine schools support ETSU?

catamount man
April 10th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Nine would not just be a majority. It would be unanimous, since there are currently only 9 schools that can vote on membership issues.

So you're saying all nine schools support ETSU?

Yes and you're right. I don't know why I was thinking about the departing schools having a say so. GO CATS!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Per my Catamount source. Welcome back to the SoCon ETSU!!!xthumbsupx

GO CATS!

I sure hope you're right on this one, that would make every ETSU fan's wildest dreams come true.

CID1990
April 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Told ya

Sent from the center of the universe.

gasoutherneagle
April 10th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Glad to hear it.

Woffy won't be handed the SoCon trophy every year before the season starts because us and CrAppy are leaving.

UTC: Time for a fundraiser!!! xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM
If your info. is correct cathatter that is great news. I think ETSU is a program that can make great strides quickly with fans, program, etc.

rokamortis
April 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
They are a great fit for the SoCon.

As a Coastal fan I'd like to see if we are even in the mix,but as a FCS fan I'd love to see more details on the process.

Has anything leaked out about the number of schools they are trying to add? How much negotiation are they having to do? I saw on the catamount board that each school was to make a presentation with the schools they want - that would be really interesting to see.

CID1990
April 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Mercer will be next if they commit to scholly football.

I think we should bring in 3 more schools, ALL football. Mercer, KSU, and VMI.

DFW HOYA
April 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mercer will be next if they commit to scholly football.

I think we should bring in 3 more schools, ALL football. Mercer, KSU, and VMI.

Swap W&M and Richmond for Mercer and Kennesaw and it's the good old days for the SoCon. Won't happen, of course.

rokamortis
April 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mercer would be a great fit - even without full scholarship football.

CID1990
April 10th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Nope. No more "associate" members who don't participate in football.

Saint3333
April 10th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Great news for ETSU. Biggest mistake that school ever made was dropping football.

I will be interested to see their plans for a stadium.

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Nope. No more "associate" members who don't participate in football.

I know you guys don't value an App fan's opinion on this subject, but I couldn't agree more. I have always felt that way in regards to the SoCon. I think it's the best thing for the league to do.

walliver
April 11th, 2013, 08:42 AM
My only concern is when they can join the conference in football.

As I understand it, football will be restarted in 2015, but I doubt they would want to play a full SoCon schedule their first year. I would suspect 2016 at the earliest. I suspect the issues with Kennesaw State would be similar. With Mercer it could be worse as it may be 4-5 years before they offer scholarships.

With only 6 conference games each in 2014 (and possibly 2015) OOC scheduling will be a problem for most SoCon teams.

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I know you guys don't value an App fan's opinion on this subject, but I couldn't agree more. I have always felt that way in regards to the SoCon. I think it's the best thing for the league to do.

Well I would think that an ASU fan's opinion matters just as much as that of a person from a FCS school outside the SoCon.

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM
My only concern is when they can join the conference in football.

As I understand it, football will be restarted in 2015, but I doubt they would want to play a full SoCon schedule their first year. I would suspect 2016 at the earliest. I suspect the issues with Kennesaw State would be similar. With Mercer it could be worse as it may be 4-5 years before they offer scholarships.

With only 6 conference games each in 2014 (and possibly 2015) OOC scheduling will be a problem for most SoCon teams.

We can play each other twicet!

Seriously though- 2014 is going to be a problem no matter what happens. I'm fairly sure we'll all have to play one DII school. This might also be an opportunity to play some additional OOC games. I would love to see us restart our series with teams like Colgate or Bucknell.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2013, 09:15 AM
People seem to think VMI is going to be "brought home" to the SoCon. Is there any reason to believe this is true? I don't think the Baby Blue Citdogs are chomping at the bit to bring back their little sisters, and it's not like their presence is going to be a huge win across the board in all sports.

If ETSU is coming back to the SoCon, you have to believe Coastal would be on the radar screen in terms of a public university. Of the realistic targets, Coastal offers the most in all sports, but especially football.

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Well I would think that an ASU fan's opinion matters just as much as that of a person from a FCS school outside the SoCon.

Well, thanks...I think. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
People seem to think VMI is going to be "brought home" to the SoCon. Is there any reason to believe this is true? I don't think the Baby Blue Citdogs are chomping at the bit to bring back their little sisters, and it's not like their presence is going to be a huge win across the board in all sports.

If ETSU is coming back to the SoCon, you have to believe Coastal would be on the radar screen in terms of a public university. Of the realistic targets, Coastal offers the most in all sports, but especially football.

Hmmm...sure that term is accurate?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NA9uQSQYiSQ/SSYvDpCYkTI/AAAAAAAABAM/EMU-LyMV3uk/s400/VMI+Cheerleader.JPG xawesomex

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I don't think the Baby Blue Citdogs are chomping at the bit to bring back their little sisters, and it's not like their presence is going to be a huge win across the board in all sports.

Actually the opposite is true. The El Cid crowd is unanimous in wanting VMI back.

Also flawed logic on CCU. There's a major difference between ETSU and CCU that has been discussed before.

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Well, thanks...I think. xlolx

Well why not? There are plenty of non-SoCon posters weighing in. Everyone can have an opinion, just not everyone has a vote.

Sandlapper Spike
April 11th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Based on John Frierson's article today in the Chattanooga paper, I am less than convinced that a consensus on ETSU (or any school) has in fact been reached.

walliver
April 11th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Apparently Wofford also supports the addition of VMI, our AD is a recovering Citadel graduate.
But, there doesn't seem to be much fan support.

walliver
April 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Based on John Frierson's article today in the Chattanooga paper, I am less than convinced that a consensus on ETSU (or any school) has in fact been reached.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/10/socon-has-new-sense-of-urgency/
This a link to yesterday's article (which I find more interesting) I didn't realize that the SoCon is down to 5 men's soccer teams (although I guess App will make 6, since the SBC doesn't sponsor that. An interesting politicl problem is that the majority 5-4 of schools are private. This would seem to make it less likely that the majority would give up control by adding 3 public schools. 1 private and 2 publics would give a 6-6 split, although Citadel has more in common with Wofford and Furman than UTC and WCU.

Today's article: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/11/some-progress-at-socon-meeting/
Apparently nothing was really accomplished. I suspect one of the problems is that 2 of the candidates have promised to start football in the future, and 1 is starting non-scholarship. Also the fact that Davidson's AD was excited and UTC's wasn't, makes me think ETSU was not the big decision.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/10/socon-has-new-sense-of-urgency/?sportscollege

The SoCon is losing three public schools and two of the top programs in the Football Championship Subdivision. It could add three schools or none or something in between. Expanding beyond three hasn't formally been discussed, but Bogue said he wouldn't be against giving it some consideration.

In adding schools, Herron said the SoCon needs to make sure its football needs are met, which means adding two teams to get the league back up to a nine-game schedule.

She's also very interested in the league adding more geographic balance. UTC and Samford, and to a lesser degree Western Carolina, are off on their own on the west side of the SoCon map. Also, the league is losing its only Georgia school.

Three of the schools often mentioned as candidates -- East Tennessee State, Kennesaw State and Mercer, all of which are starting or bringing back football -- are located within about a three-hour drive, or less, from UTC's campus.

Along with football needs, the SoCon has to look at its other sports. The SoCon is down to five men's soccer teams, six softball teams and seven in wrestling, with just three full-time members participating.

ETSU offers all of the sports the SoCon does except wrestling. Mercer has a full array of sports except wrestling, while Kennesaw State has all of the SoCon's women's sports but doesn't field wresting or men's soccer teams.

Virginia Military Institute, which wrestles in the SoCon, fields just three women's sports played in the SoCon.

Unmentioned in the article, but something I think ought to be mentioned, is Coastal Carolina offers all the SoCon sports except wrestling, indoor track and field and men's tennis. Plus they would offer a whole lot more than Mercer, ETSU or VMI right away in terms of football.

They also, if I remember right, have a pretty darned good men's soccer team.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/11/some-progress-at-socon-meeting/

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga interim athletic director Laura Herron was there for the four-hour meeting and came away less than satisfied.

"It was full of very good, frank discussions, but I don't think we got much accomplished," she told the Times Free Press in a phone interview while waiting to fly out of Charlotte after the meeting, which ran from noon to 4 p.m. "I was hoping we would have a resolution. We're still moving towards that, and I understand we need to do due diligence, but I was hoping that we'd get more accomplished today."

Reached on his cell phone, Davidson athletic director Jim Murphy was much more upbeat -- though no more willing to get into specific details -- in his comments.

"I think it was really an exceptional discussion," he said. "It's always great when you get everybody in the same room and talk about differences and commonalities. I thought it was a great meeting that moved us forward."

Sounds like they're more likely to add Winthrop and Florida-Gulf Coast than anyone on the aforementioned list. It sounds almost like McKillop was sitting in the background directing the membership to schools that would bump up the RPI.

asumike83
April 11th, 2013, 10:16 AM
It sounds almost like McKillop was sitting in the background directing the membership to schools that would bump up the RPI.

Bending to the every wish of an associate member's basketball coach? That doesn't sound like the Big Bird I know... xrolleyesx

Sandlapper Spike
April 11th, 2013, 10:19 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/10/socon-has-new-sense-of-urgency/?sportscollege

Unmentioned in the article, but something I think ought to be mentioned, is Coastal Carolina offers all the SoCon sports except wrestling, indoor track and field and men's tennis. Plus they would offer a whole lot more than Mercer, ETSU or VMI right away in terms of football.

They also, if I remember right, have a pretty darned good men's soccer team.

All of that is true. None of it really makes CCU more likely to get an invite than several other schools.

Sandlapper Spike
April 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM

Sounds like they're more likely to add Winthrop and Florida-Gulf Coast than anyone on the aforementioned list. It sounds almost like McKillop was sitting in the background directing the membership to schools that would bump up the RPI.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment, at least in terms of the schools. I don't believe Davidson would necessarily favor either of them (particularly FGCU).

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 10:25 AM

If Davidson is excited it is because Mercer is in the discussion.

CCU is not coming in the SoCon. It is a foolish choice. Forget about what sports they play, and the "contributions" they can make. The reason the SoCon will stay away from CCU is because of the very real possibility that they will go into expansion mode and then look to move up. A lesser reason is their academic profile.

The SoCon is looking for schools that fit with the traditional members; schools that do not view the conference as a springboard.

AshevilleApp2
April 11th, 2013, 10:34 AM
xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

I hope this works out.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM

If Mercer's tops in the discussion than football is a distant second or third in priority. Best case scenario is that they're 3 years away from competing for SoCon football titles.

asumike83
April 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
If Mercer's tops in the discussion than football is a distant second or third in priority. Best case scenario is that they're 3 years away from competing for SoCon football titles.

That would be absolute best case. I think a school like Coastal would be 2-3 years away from competing for SoCon titles. Mercer would add a lot to the baseball and basketball profiles of the conference but it would likely be 5+ years before they could to go toe-to-toe with the top football programs in the SoCon.

walliver
April 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM

Winthrop basketball thrived with Gregg Martin (now at Witchita State), but has floundered since. FCGU had a good team this year, but their coach has gone, and they are a long way out of the SoCon footprint - FCGU would have little incentive to leave the A-Sun for the SoCon. FCGU really needs a big-time non-football basketball conference, but there are none of those in the southeast.

I think Mercer is the top choice for a basketball school, and almost immediate pressure will be on them to upgrade football. Two football members will be added. I suspect UTC will leave within 5 years, likely to the OVC, or possibly the SBC, and Mercer will be pressured to have "real" football by then. Although ETSU in the SoCon might be enough of an anchor to keep UTC.

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Well why not? There are plenty of non-SoCon posters weighing in. Everyone can have an opinion, just not everyone has a vote.

Agreed, but some of us App fans have been told to "go to the Sun Belt board," or asked "why do you care?" That's an example, so I just wanted to qualify that what I was about to post may not be appreciated.

walliver
April 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Agreed, but some of us App fans have been told to "go to the Sun Belt board," or asked "why do you care?" That's an example, so I just wanted to qualify that what I was about to post may not be appreciated.

I think most of us are fine with ASU and GSU posters as long as the posts aren't excessively negative, and don't belittle current conference members (although belittling FU is OK). A few people have become over-exuberant, and some have over-reacted to that.

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I think most of us are fine with ASU and GSU posters as long as the posts aren't excessively negative, and don't belittle current conference members (although belittling FU is OK). A few people have become over-exuberant, and some have over-reacted to that.

Yeah, it's fine...I just wanted to put out there that I understood some may take issue with it. I am all for belittling FUrman! xlolx

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Most of that is simply a reaction to the poor mouthing of FCS and the SoCon, which you haven't been doing.

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Most of that is simply a reaction to the poor mouthing of FCS and the SoCon, which you haven't been doing.

xthumbsupx

rokamortis
April 11th, 2013, 11:45 AM

CCU is not coming in the SoCon. It is a foolish choice. Forget about what sports they play, and the "contributions" they can make. The reason the SoCon will stay away from CCU is because of the very real possibility that they will go into expansion mode and then look to move up. A lesser reason is their academic profile.

The SoCon is looking for schools that fit with the traditional members; schools that do not view the conference as a springboard.

I don't believe that Coastal is considering FBS and are content in FCS. The possibility is all contrived and could be applied to any mid-large public school under consideration - like ETSU or KSU.

asumike83
April 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I don't believe that Coastal is considering FBS and are content in FCS. The possibility is all contrived and could be applied to any mid-large public school under consideration - like ETSU or KSU.

I tend to agree. Any possibility of CCU flirting with an FBS conference are a long ways away. If they were to go FBS, it would likely be 10-15 years down the road and the only way it would happen is if they were to become a real power in football, which the SoCon would benefit from greatly in the meantime.

I'd view Kennesaw State as a much greater flight risk than CCU. Big school, big market, start-up program. We've seen this movie before.

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Ok,

Apphole
April 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM

I think having too many teams in South Carolina that don't want another recruiting battle (and CCU's little history with sketchy recruiting) is the main reason. I also agree that the private schools will be unwilling to give up their majority. Coastal are still the best choice, but I expect them to add two privates and one public.

fc97
April 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
i'm hearing the same. etsu and mercer are done. argument are continuing on who to add for number 3 and whether to go to 15. what i'm hearing is that its mixed on who to take of kennesaw, coastal or vmi. none have more than 1/3 support

rokamortis
April 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
i'm hearing the same. etsu and mercer are done. argument are continuing on who to add for number 3 and whether to go to 15. what i'm hearing is that its mixed on who to take of kennesaw, coastal or vmi. none have more than 1/3 support

I'm sure i could guess, but have you heard who wants who?

I'm a little surprised by VMI only having 1/3 support - but they don't have strong athletic program and are far away from a lot of the schools.

ETSUfan1
April 11th, 2013, 05:16 PM

I'm a little surprised by VMI only having 1/3 support - but they don't have strong athletic program and are far away from a lot of the schools.

From my point of view, it should be Coastal. VMI brings nothing, and KSU is terrible in all sports. Sure they bring the Atlanta market, but how well is that working out for Georgia State?

dbackjon
April 11th, 2013, 05:22 PM
We can play each other twicet!

Seriously though- 2014 is going to be a problem no matter what happens. I'm fairly sure we'll all have to play one DII school. This might also be an opportunity to play some additional OOC games. I would love to see us restart our series with teams like Colgate or Bucknell.

Plenty of Big Sky teams would welcome a visit from a Southern Conference team ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
April 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Plenty of Big Sky teams would welcome a visit from a Southern Conference team ;)

Hell, I'd love it if the first game was there to help out with their home schedule and my first choice for a H&H would be The Citadel cuz I'd love to go spend a week in Charleston with those fellers.

I had a chance earlier to throw that idea up of some BSC/Socon intermingling but glad to see you agree it would be cool to see that. Hell if we could get a couple of BSC teams down for matchups with Furman and Wofford on the same weekend we'd have a hell of a party.

GeauxLions94
April 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Great news for ETSU. Biggest mistake that school ever made was dropping football.

I will be interested to see their plans for a stadium.

ETSU corrected their mistake fairly quick unlike how we did when we dropped football in 1985 (didn't bring it back until 2003) ... we're still trying to get back an entire generation of alums who went to school here without football.

CID1990
April 11th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hell, I'd love it if the first game was there to help out with their home schedule and my first choice for a H&H would be The Citadel cuz I'd love to go spend a week in Charleston with those fellers.

I had a chance earlier to throw that idea up of some BSC/Socon intermingling but glad to see you agree it would be cool to see that. Hell if we could get a couple of BSC teams down for matchups with Furman and Wofford on the same weekend we'd have a hell of a party.

I think it would be rather easy to schedule El Cid in 2014 with a H and H guarantee. I'd love to go out there for a game.

Eagle22
April 11th, 2013, 08:57 PM

So was Wofford when they joined.

Ramping up for scholarships really isn't going to be a hurdle for Mercer, or the SoCon if both parties are interested. Mercer has a lot of money, and Underwood has not been shy with developing athletics unlike his predecessor Godsey.

The commentary from the SoCon commissioner previously .... pretty much for the last year .. has centered around improving basketball. Mercer and ETSU would be good additions to the SoCon.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2013, 09:06 PM
That would be absolute best case. I think a school like Coastal would be 2-3 years away from competing for SoCon titles. Mercer would add a lot to the baseball and basketball profiles of the conference but it would likely be 5+ years before they could to go toe-to-toe with the top football programs in the SoCon.

Probably longer. Elon had some semblance of a football tradition, and they were probably 8 years before they were truly competitive in the conference. Mercer is starting from scratch.

fc97
April 11th, 2013, 09:16 PM

the breakdown i'm hearing
mercer - unanimous
etsu - unanimous
coastal - western, utc, uncg
vmi - the citadel, wofford, furman
kennesaw state - utc, samford, western

the only other schools i've heard brought up are campbell and jacksonville. neither have much support at all. from the rumblings i've heard, elon and davidson want to branch north but other schools arent in favor

rokamortis
April 11th, 2013, 09:31 PM
the breakdown i'm hearing
mercer - unanimous
etsu - unanimous
coastal - western, utc, uncg
vmi - the citadel, wofford, furman
kennesaw state - utc, samford, western

the only other schools i've heard brought up are campbell and jacksonville. neither have much support at all. from the rumblings i've heard, elon and davidson want to branch north but other schools arent in favor

Good stuff, thanks.

Wouldn't VMI help with branching north? Or is it not the right school?

walliver
April 11th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Good stuff, thanks.

Wouldn't VMI help with branching north? Or is it not the right school?

VMI left the SoCOn because they couldn't compete in football (and their others sports were rarely good). It would be interesting to know which schools Davidson and Elon would prefer. (Campbell?, UNC-W? - W&M or UR would be much less likely to want to come)

rokamortis
April 12th, 2013, 08:12 AM
VMI left the SoCOn because they couldn't compete in football (and their others sports were rarely good). It would be interesting to know which schools Davidson and Elon would prefer. (Campbell?, UNC-W? - W&M or UR would be much less likely to want to come)

Agreed. The SoCon has to deal with what is available today. I'm sure most of the schools would love to have Richmond and W&M ... but that currently seems like a very slim chance. Even if JMU leaves, the chances are greater those schools may leave but I don't think it would be likely. I wonder if they may try admit a couple of schools and then hold off.

The problem with that is scheduling with football. If ETSU and Mercer are the only 2 admitted then it will be 2015 at best before ETSU will field a team and probably wouldn't want a full SoCon schedule out of the gate - probably looking at a few DII along with some Pioneer and lower end Big South, MEAC, and Patriot schools. Mercer has announced non-scholarship so wouldn't help at all unless they do move to scholarship which could take a few years to get fully funded.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Jacksonville is far, and has tiny facilities. But they want scholarship FCS football, and in theory it opens up Florida recruiting even further for the SoCon. To me they're an intriguing thought.

They are in the A-Sun, the same conference as Florida-Gulf Coast.

Saint3333
April 12th, 2013, 08:29 AM
KSU, CCU, and ETSU (maybe Mercer) would provide the best long-term athletic upside.

danefan
April 12th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Jacksonville is far, and has tiny facilities. But they want scholarship FCS football, and in theory it opens up Florida recruiting even further for the SoCon. To me they're an intriguing thought.

They are in the A-Sun, the same conference as Florida-Gulf Coast.

Jacksonville has plans for a new stadium, albeit still on the smaller side. I'm sure that capacity could change though if need be.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/2012-11-30/story/jacksonville-university-plans-new-football-stadium-athletics

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Every argument that being made for CCU could also be made for another BS school that will not get an invite: Charleston Southern. (With the exception of the competitiveness of their football program).

There is plenty upside to having a couple years of having to schedule more OOC games for a couple years to fill the gaps. I personally would enjoy a couple H and H deals with Patriot League or Big Sky teams. El Cid used to frequently play Patriot teams and they were all good series.

rokamortis
April 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Every argument that being made for CCU could also be made for another BS school that will not get an invite: Charleston Southern. (With the exception of the competitiveness of their football program).

How so? I'd like to see you run down a list of objective measures and show how CSU would be as good of a fit in the SoCon as Coastal.

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
How so? I'd like to see you run down a list of objective measures and show how CSU would be as good of a fit in the SoCon as Coastal.

That list doesn't exist. There are plenty of reasons why they do NOT fit well, which have been hashed out in detail before. Academic profile and location. There are already 3 SC schools in the conference, and the conference is going to want to stay in GA, shore up UTC, and possibly even break into Florida. Also, CSU would even have a leg up on CCU because it is much more certain that they will stay put. Say what you will about CCU's intentions, they have a lot of room for growth, and in thos day and age, schools than can, usually do. The SoCon needs to be looking further down the road than just the next 5 years. Athletically, they both fit. But there are other considerations than simply how many sports a school can contribute in.

rokamortis
April 12th, 2013, 10:48 AM
That list doesn't exist. There are plenty of reasons why they do NOT fit well, which have been hashed out in detail before. Academic profile and location. There are already 3 SC schools in the conference, and the conference is going to want to stay in GA, shore up UTC, and possibly even break into Florida. Also, CSU would even have a leg up on CCU because it is much more certain that they will stay put. Say what you will about CCU's intentions, they have a lot of room for growth, and in thos day and age, schools than can, usually do. The SoCon needs to be looking further down the road than just the next 5 years. Athletically, they both fit. But there are other considerations than simply how many sports a school can contribute in.

It is official - you are nuts. Need to call someone to let you back into your padded room.

kdinva
April 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Jacksonville has plans for a new stadium, albeit still on the smaller side. I'm sure that capacity could change though if need be.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/2012-11-30/story/jacksonville-university-plans-new-football-stadium-athletics

nice looking pic.........but I agree, the visionaries at JU need to be bolder and start with a seating capacity of 7500+.......

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Here's another thought. If the SoCon passes over Jacksonville, the Big South/A-Sun could enter into that "agreement" that was alluded to a couple of months ago, and Jacksonville then could become 63 scholarship that way. Then they get the Florida recruiting bump.

Very interesting that Campbell and Jacksonville were on the SoCon's list, the more I think about it.

Sandlapper Spike
April 12th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Speaking for myself, I don't think either CCU or CSU fits in the SoCon.

Here are the issues with CCU:

1) Location

I think this is a problem for Coastal, not an advantage. The SoCon already has three football-playing members in South Carolina. While the conference wants to remain a "bus league", it needs to re-establish footholds in its traditional footprint. Losing Georgia Southern means that adding a school in Georgia would probably be a good idea. Moving back into the Virginia market is a solid option. I suppose the league could dip down to Jacksonville.

There were four hoops schools in the league from South Carolina, of course, until CofC made its departure. Having four SC schools was probably a mistake, one the league can now correct.

I also wonder about the schools in the western part of the league. They presumably would like at least one school added in their general area, as opposed to yet another S.C. institution.

A corollary to the location issue is...

2) The small school/big school Palmetto state concerns

I've heard a fair amount of talk about how great it would be for CCU to get into the SoCon. Let me ask you this: what benefit does it provide Furman, or Wofford, or The Citadel, to have CCU in the league? It doesn’t do them any good to add another instate institution with significant differences in its mission and resources.

One current advantage those three schools do have over CCU: league affiliation. Why should they give that up?

3) The "expanding horizon" issue

This is probably unfair, but the reality is that more than a few people who have been around the block in the SoCon look at Coastal Carolina and think it is a potential rerun of Marshall, only with a billionaire football coach instead of George Chaump. As I've said before, one Marshall in the league was quite enough for a lot of folks.

Hiring Moglia sent a message, maybe not the message that was meant to be sent, but a message nonetheless.

4) The long-term SoCon membership dynamic

If the league is moving more to a smaller/private school setup rather than the mixed bag it has been for decades, then Coastal Carolina is not a fit. Obviously any suggestion that the conference is headed in that direction is speculative.

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I have no authority for saying this, but I think the SoCon will absolutely continue to focus on Georgia. Georgia has twice the population of South Carolina, more money, and is home to a substantial portion of alums from schools like Furman, Wofford, Davidson, Samford, the Citadel, etc.

Again, though, this is going to be about money. People have to look beyond "can team A play football." The SoCon does not care about your football record. They'd like to keep a strong conference, get better in basketball, and continue to expand markets.

I can see huge value for Furman adding a school like Mercer or Kennesaw. Statesboro is nice, but it is remote. Macon and Kennesaw (Kennesaw in particular) are so much more accessible to the thousands of Furman alums living in metro Atlanta.

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM

1) Location

I think this is a problem for Coastal, not an advantage. The SoCon already has three football-playing members in South Carolina. While the conference wants to remain a "bus league", it needs to re-establish footholds in its traditional footprint. Losing Georgia Southern means that adding a school in Georgia would probably be a good idea. Moving back into the Virginia market is a solid option. I suppose the league could dip down to Jacksonville.

There were four hoops schools in the league from South Carolina, of course, until CofC made its departure. Having four SC schools was probably a mistake, one the league can now correct.

I also wonder about the schools in the western part of the league. They presumably would like at least one school added in their general area, as opposed to yet another S.C. institution.

I've heard a fair amount of talk about how great it would be for CCU to get into the SoCon. Let me ask you this: what benefit does it provide Furman, or Wofford, or The Citadel, to have CCU in the league? It doesn’t do them any good to add another instate institution with significant differences in its mission and resources.

One current advantage those three schools do have over CCU: league affiliation. Why should they give that up?

This is probably unfair, but the reality is that more than a few people who have been around the block in the SoCon look at Coastal Carolina and think it is a potential rerun of Marshall, only with a billionaire football coach instead of George Chaump. As I've said before, one Marshall in the league was quite enough for a lot of folks.

Hiring Moglia sent a message, maybe not the message that was meant to be sent, but a message nonetheless.

If the league is moving more to a smaller/private school setup rather than the mixed bag it has been for decades, then Coastal Carolina is not a fit. Obviously any suggestion that the conference is headed in that direction is speculative.

Come on into the padded room with me Spike. Apparently we're all nuts.

asumike83
April 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
If long-term membership is a concern, I'm not sure how Kennesaw State is a realistic candidate. A 25,000 student public school in metro Atlanta would seem to be a much greater flight risk than Coastal or most any other candidate. I wouldn't be surprised to see ETSU looking at an FBS move in the next 5-10 years either.

Sandlapper Spike
April 12th, 2013, 12:08 PM
If long-term membership is a concern, I'm not sure how Kennesaw State is a realistic candidate. A 25,000 student public school in metro Atlanta would seem to be a much greater flight risk than Coastal or most any other candidate.

That could be true.

rokamortis
April 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM

1) Location

All fair points. The in-state schools problems are more than some want to admit and I agree with what you state.

1) I'm not sure I buy the in-state argument but it is what it is. I agree that the SoCon needs to appease the western schools and explore GA, AL, TN. Mercer is a great fit - except for the non-scholarship football.

2) The benefit for the SoCon and thus those SC schools by adding Coastal is that it adds a strong athletic member into an athletic conference and fits within the footprint. Coastal has strong programs in baseball, men's soccer, golf and football and does fairly well in all sports.

3) You guys are assuming a lot with the hiring of Moglia. He just wants to coach. The president is a business guy and recognizes the benefits of someone with his experience. They've already said that Moglia will not contribute anything while he is coaching. It has also been reported by a Forbes writer that he is not a billionaire - something to the effect of a small fraction. The upward movement argument should be applied to all schools in a similar position - like KSU and ETSU.

4) Don't disagree - but again the argument should be applied to similar schools. It is something the SoCon needs to work out or it will end up in a nasty divorce with the private / and private like schools vs the others.

Saint3333
April 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM
This is certainly a defining moment for the SoCon.

- Go West
- Go South
- Maintain football peaking order in FCS
- Concentrate more on basketball
- Only take programs that don't have long-term FBS goals

You can't fulfill all of those at the same time. I believe they'll add members that get them halfway to most of their goals vs. concentrating on one or two goals and acheiving them.

rokamortis
April 12th, 2013, 12:23 PM

I was calling you nuts because of your comparison of Coastal with CSU and calling them a better fit. You seem like you have a thick skin so I thought you could take it.

rokamortis
April 12th, 2013, 12:26 PM

- Go West
- Go South

You can't fulfill all of those at the same time. I believe they'll add members that get them halfway to most of their goals vs. concentrating on one or two goals and acheiving them.

Great points. What is it that the SoCon really wants to do? Are they going to be able to set a clear agenda or do they have schools that have so differing agendas that it will cause issues?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM

- Go West
- Go South

I agree. Unfortunately for the SoCon, there are only two schools that fit the "FCS Pecking Order" plan - one is Coastal, the other William & Mary. One isn't ideal, the other not realistic.

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM

1) Location

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I was calling you nuts because of your comparison of Coastal with CSU and calling them a better fit. You seem like you have a thick skin so I thought you could take it.

My skin is only as thick as your attention span.

I said that CSU would have a leg up on CCU because there is no danger they are going to go into expansion mode, which is true, and is also a consideration for new SoCon members.

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
If long-term membership is a concern, I'm not sure how Kennesaw State is a realistic candidate. A 25,000 student public school in metro Atlanta would seem to be a much greater flight risk than Coastal or most any other candidate. I wouldn't be surprised to see ETSU looking at an FBS move in the next 5-10 years either.

I think that's why they seem to be behind ETSU and Mercer at this point. The only thing that makes them more attractive than CCU is location.

The Cats
April 12th, 2013, 02:03 PM
KSU, CCU, and ETSU (maybe Mercer) would provide the best long-term athletic upside.

You and I agree rarely, but this time I see it the same way. If any of the rumors about Richmond, W&M, UNCW are true, I think the SoCon should at least determine what if any interest there might be. These would be good add for the SoCon.

The Cats
April 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM

We're all glad you're not a voting member. You speak as if you've got Citadel's vote in your back pocket.

CCU is probably the best candidate out there (if Richmond and W&M are not in the picture).

You didn't do a lot of bitching about too many SC schools in the SoCon when CoC was admitted or since then. You just don't like CCU just admit it and move on.

Most SoCon members don't want VMI back, they truly would bring nothing to the conference, except an old rival for you guys (and not even a very good rival at that).

The Cats
April 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Very interesting that Campbell and Jacksonville were on the SoCon's list, the more I think about it.

My take on that is they are one of the many that expressed interest to the SoCon about joining. The commish said they had had enough schools to express interest in joining to create an entirely new conference.

That doesn't mean all the schools making an inquiry will be serious candidates, however, I think they would have to discuss the pros and cons of each school that expressed interest. That is where I see Campbell and Jacksonville, not a tier I candidate, maybe tier III.

Saint3333
April 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM
You and I agree rarely, but this time I see it the same way. If any of the rumors about Richmond, W&M, UNCW are true, I think the SoCon should at least determine what if any interest there might be. These would be good add for the SoCon.

Richmond (football only), W&M all sports, and UNCW all sports would be the utopia of additions, but for that to occur JMU would have to leave which they appear to be in no rush to do. So the SoCon must turn to the Big South/A-Sun programs.

We actually agree on many things that don't evolve App and WCU directly. My logic is sound most of the time you just can't see through purple colored glasses ;-).

elcid83
April 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Actually the opposite is true. The El Cid crowd is unanimous in wanting VMI back.

Also flawed logic on CCU. There's a major difference between ETSU and CCU that has been discussed before.

In order to be unanimous, all Citadel fans have to want them back. This one doesn't think they should be allowed back.

Sandlapper Spike
April 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Jeff Hartsell writes in The Post and Courier about the SoCon situation, expanding on some of his tweets from yesterday:

Link (http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/04/12/socon-solve-division-addition/)

A quick snip:

Mercer — a quality private school in Macon, Ga., of some 8,000 students with solid basketball and baseball programs — is a no-brainer. If the Bears can’t or aren’t committed to scholarship football in the near-term — ex-Furman coach Bobby Lamb is the Bears’ coach — they can slide right into CofC’s spot. Word out of Charlotte is that Mercer has a ways to go in gaining support, which surprises me. But that could change.

VMI, which left the SoCon years ago because it could not compete in football, apparently has more support in the league. VMI still can’t compete in football, though basketball and baseball are marginally better and SoCon ready. As an ex-member and a public school with the same private-school qualities as The Citadel, it seems as if VMI is a compromise school that the SoCon’s publics and privates can agree on.

A third new member is tougher to find.

Hartsell mentioned on Twitter yesterday that VMI was in front "with Mercer and ETSU trailing", which I think caught a lot of people off guard.

The Cats
April 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM
My logic is sound most of the time you just can't see through purple colored glasses ;-).

Already disagreeing.

You rarely take off those black & "mustard yellar" glasses they issue at ASU. ;-)

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 03:06 PM
We're all glad you're not a voting member. You speak as if you've got Citadel's vote in your back pocket.

CCU is probably the best candidate out there (if Richmond and W&M are not in the picture).

You didn't do a lot of bitching about too many SC schools in the SoCon when CoC was admitted or since then. You just don't like CCU just admit it and move on.

Most SoCon members don't want VMI back, they truly would bring nothing to the conference, except an old rival for you guys (and not even a very good rival at that).

Wrong.

I raised holy hell about cofc coming in. They were a terrible fit and the whole idea of non football playing schools was a terrible decision as we all see now. I don't know where you were at the time.

I don't have to be a voting member to know how this is going to go. As for CCU, I have no reason to dislike them. As a school, I like CCU a hell of a lot more than I do that joke of a school down on George Street.

It has nothing to do with whether I like CCU or not- I am stating the reason why they will not get an invite. Whether you think they are a good fit or not is immaterial.

If you think I'm incorrect, I'd be happy to make an avatar bet with you.

ASUMountaineer
April 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Already disagreeing.

You rarely take off those black & "mustard yellar" glasses they issue at ASU. ;-)

Those yellar lenses make the world seem so much brighter! Purple lenses just make the world seem plum. xlolx

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Jeff Hartsell writes in The Post and Courier about the SoCon situation, expanding on some of his tweets from yesterday:

Link (http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/04/12/socon-solve-division-addition/)

A quick snip:

Hartsell mentioned on Twitter yesterday that VMI was in front "with Mercer and ETSU trailing", which I think caught a lot of people off guard.

I've been told by folks well connected at Mercer that there is plenty support for everyone just staying the non-scholarship route. Remember, Mercer announced it was restarting its program before the entire landscape of college football started shifting. They have made a huge financial investment just to get a team on the field and build a stadium, much less fund a scholarship football team that would be competitive in the SoCon.

Sandlapper Spike
April 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I've been told by folks well connected at Mercer that there is plenty support for everyone just staying the non-scholarship route. Remember, Mercer announced it was restarting its program before the entire landscape of college football started shifting. They have made a huge financial investment just to get a team on the field and build a stadium, much less fund a scholarship football team that would be competitive in the SoCon.

Plenty of support from the SoCon to stay non-schollie?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Add to this mix Campbell. They moved out of the A-Sun to be in the Big South, and currently is the only Big South member sponsoring non-scholarship FB in the Pioneer. But they seem willing to not only jump to 63 schollies, but out of the Big South to the SoCon...?

Campbell doesn't seem like a great fit to me simply because they're so rural and offer none of the benefits of Mercer.

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
In order to be unanimous, all Citadel fans have to want them back. This one doesn't think they should be allowed back.

Well you're always our outlier anyway, 83. (Cantankerous old fart)

Would you agree though that the consensus on TLOD is that we want them back?

CID1990
April 12th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Plenty of support from the SoCon to stay non-schollie?

That'd be some horse trading bullcrap if true.

The Cats
April 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM

It's one thing to take a school that does not play football at all, but entirely something else to bring another school in on the Davidson model. I hope a majority of the football playing schools vote "hell" no on that.

If they don't or can't field a scholarship football team (and that's any potential candidate not just Mercer) we should leave them on the sidewalk, they can come back to us IF or When they want to play scholarship football. Just add KSU and ETSU, we don't need three, unless one of the CAA teams become available.

Sandlapper Spike
April 12th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure why it is okay to have a school that doesn't play football at all but not okay to have a school that fields a non-scholarship football team.

The Cats
April 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure why it is okay to have a school that doesn't play football at all but not okay to have a school that fields a non-scholarship football team.

I didn't say I wanted either. However, the SoCon did take both UNCG and CoC without football. I'm not a fan of doing that either. If Mercer or UNCW wants in, let them play scholarship football, we need level playing field.

FargoBison
April 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM
So how would Davidson going to the A10 effect SoCon expansion?

The A-10 is close to adding Davidson to the league, likely in 2014-15, sources told CBSSports.com. The move is pending approval from the school's board of trustees.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22072822/a-10-close-to-adding-davidson

Saint3333
April 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM
If the SoCon wanted to make basketball a focus this is a huge blow to those plans.

DC turning down the CAA was a good call.

I predict Elon to CAA this summer if they lose a member.

The SoCon may not have a choice but to add CCU dispite what Citadel fans wishes are.

The Cats
April 14th, 2013, 09:37 PM

The SoCon may not have a choice but to add CCU dispite what Citadel fans wishes are.

I agree on both, however it should not take DC and Elon leaving to get CCU an invite.

Saint3333
April 14th, 2013, 09:42 PM
The SoCon officials said they may go to 14 teams, that may be because they are preparing to lose two more.

rokamortis
April 14th, 2013, 09:50 PM
If the SoCon wanted to make basketball a focus this is a huge blow to those plans.

DC turning down the CAA was a good call.

Would be another huge hit for the SoCon.

Elon could move to the CAA without anyone leaving, they would help shore up the southern CAA.

CID1990
April 14th, 2013, 10:11 PM

You can add Wofford and Furman, and if they are still around, Davidson.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga interim athletic director Laura Herron was there for the four-hour meeting and came away less than satisfied.

"It was full of very good, frank discussions, but I don't think we got much accomplished," she told the Times Free Press in a phone interview while waiting to fly out of Charlotte after the meeting, which ran from noon to 4 p.m. "I was hoping we would have a resolution. We're still moving towards that, and I understand we need to do due diligence, but I was hoping that we'd get more accomplished today."

Reached on his cell phone, Davidson athletic director Jim Murphy was much more upbeat -- though no more willing to get into specific details -- in his comments.

"I think it was really an exceptional discussion," he said. "It's always great when you get everybody in the same room and talk about differences and commonalities. I thought it was a great meeting that moved us forward.".

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22072822/a-10-close-to-adding-davidson

The A-10 is close to adding Davidson to the league, likely in 2014-15, sources told CBSSports.com. The move is pending approval from the school's board of trustees.

This opens up, to me, a huge timeline issue - what did Davidson's AD know, and when did he know it? Sounds like he was "upbeat" not because he gave two whits about SoCon expansion but because he knew his school will almost certainly be on the first ticket out of Dodge.

Mountaineer
April 14th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Looks like it's on to see who can get out the door the fastest.

http://gigabiting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/exit-sign.jpg

rokamortis
April 15th, 2013, 05:09 AM
This opens up, to me, a huge timeline issue - what did Davidson's AD know, and when did he know it? Sounds like he was "upbeat" not because he gave two whits about SoCon expansion but because he knew his school will almost certainly be on the first ticket out of Dodge.

I'm sure he knew but couldn't say anything so just put on a good show. I wouldn't read too much into it.

What is perhaps more interesting is that earlier in this thread fc97 had a rundown of which schools were discussed and who supported them, Davidson and Elon were not listed as supporting any members. He did mention that they wanted to branch north and the other schools weren't in favor.

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Looks like it's on to see who can get out the door the fastest.

http://gigabiting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/exit-sign.jpg

I don't see how you see it that way. Davidson plays basketball. They are positively awful in just about everything else. Even then, I'm not convinced Davidson isn't easily replaced with a school like Mercer, who is just as good in basketball and superior in other sports. Davidson made the SoCon a lot of money a number of years ago riding the coattails of one outstanding player. Do I want them to leave? Not particularly. But its not as though there are no replacements for a mid-level mid-major basketball program that doesn't have a strong commitment to football.

WestCoastAggie
April 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Interesting...

CID1990
April 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM
I don't see how you see it that way. Davidson plays basketball. They are positively awful in just about everything else. Even then, I'm not convinced Davidson isn't easily replaced with a school like Mercer, who is just as good in basketball and superior in other sports. Davidson made the SoCon a lot of money a number of years ago riding the coattails of one outstanding player. Do I want them to leave? Not particularly. But its not as though there are no replacements for a mid-level mid-major basketball program that doesn't have a strong commitment to football.

This.

In fact, I HOPE Davidson is heading for the door. Mercer brings more to the table even without football. Plus, I doubt they would be getting a look if they weren't at least having an eye to eventual scholarship football.

There are 4-5 good candidates out there, and played right this whole situation could be a net plus for SoCon football.

rokamortis
April 15th, 2013, 08:16 AM
This.
There are 4-5 good candidates out there, and played right this whole situation could be a net plus for SoCon football.

How so? I can't see a situation where adding teams would create a positive situation after losing ASU and GSU - unless you think you can add James Madison, Richmond, and both USC's.

asumike83
April 15th, 2013, 08:35 AM
This.

In fact, I HOPE Davidson is heading for the door. Mercer brings more to the table even without football. Plus, I doubt they would be getting a look if they weren't at least having an eye to eventual scholarship football.

I've wanted Davidson to field a real football team or get the hell out for years. Not that it will affect App in any way but I'd hate to see the SoCon replace them with another 'associate' member that can afford to throw all their weight around in basketball because they don't want to make a commitment to scholarship football. Davidson belongs in the A-10 with other schools whose athletic departments are set up the way theirs is. I am truly curious to see how they fare once the playing field levels out for them.

I'm not sure that the SoCon could end up a stronger football conference when all the smoke clears but if they bring in the right candidates, they will remain a formidable FCS conference even without ASU/GSU.

walliver
April 15th, 2013, 08:51 AM
How so? I can't see a situation where adding teams would create a positive situation after losing ASU and GSU - unless you think you can add James Madison, Richmond, and both USC's.

Losing ASU and GSU will hurt in the short term. The SoCon goes from teams with 10 FCS/I-AA championships to 1. But, people in the SoCon take football seriously and somebody will step up. The Gateway/MVC didn't collapse when WKU left, and I'm not really sure they were missed much.

Furman was at one time a national power, and could well reach that level again.
UTC has underachieved for years, and could be a NC contender if they get their act together.
With ASU out of the picture, WCU may be able to step things up.
We will have scheduling issues in 2014 and 2015, but that is a temporary hiccough.

Change is change, and what happens is often unpredictable. When the ACC added VT and Miami, it was widely seen as a move up in football, but hasn't worked out that way. The current ACC line-up, when viewed by an observer from the 1980's and 1990's would look like a pre-eminent football conference, but isn't.

If the SoCon adds schools with a long-term commitment to FCS football at a competitive level, we will be just fine. To me, that rules out VMI and most of the BSC. I have great doubts that KSU is looking FCS long-term. I don't know ETSU's long term plans (but I think their stadium plans when revealed will give us a clue). I also doubt that CCU moves to FBS anytime soon, because CCU's stadium will require extensive (and expensive) additions to make a move worthwhile.

One thing to remember, is that most of these college presidents know each other. They can pick up the phone and actually communicate. At some point, they have asked the people at ETSU, KSU, Mercer, and CCU "What are you up to?"

I also have serious doubts that Davy is leaving.Their non-basketball sports are quite bad, and I don't know if the basketball exposure from the A-10 will make up for shipping their olympic sports all over the country.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I also have serious doubts that Davy is leaving.Their non-basketball sports are quite bad, and I don't know if the basketball exposure from the A-10 will make up for shipping their olympic sports all over the country.

If Davidson is leaving the SoCon to pursue the Atlantic 10, it would be hypocrisy of the highest order, first spurning the nascent Patriot League due to travel costs and then spurning the CAA for the same reason. It would go against their very reasoning to stay in the SoCon for more than twenty years.

CID1990
April 15th, 2013, 08:57 AM

That's because you're thinking that the SoCon is losing two FBS schools. We're not.

The SoCon is losing two FCS schools with strong football programs. If the SoCon gains 3 or even 4 football programs out of this, then in terms of viability and competition, it will be a net plus. Once again, it comes back down to priorities.

As far as being a strong conference, the SoCon will put at least 2 teams in the playoffs this year, and at least one of them will advance past the 1st round. Just like last year.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM
If the SoCon gains 3 or even 4 football programs out of this, then in terms of viability and competition, it will be a net plus. Once again, it comes back down to priorities.

Based on the programs your leadership is pursuing, you're not going to know the answer to that question, though, for at a bare minimum 5 years, if not a decade. None of the teams who are rumored to be in (ETSU and Mercer) fielded teams last year. Aside from CCU, not a single team on the radar screen has made the playoffs in recent memory.

rokamortis
April 15th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Losing ASU and GSU will hurt in the short term. The SoCon goes from teams with 10 FCS/I-AA championships to 1. But, people in the SoCon take football seriously and somebody will step up. The Gateway/MVC didn't collapse when WKU left, and I'm not really sure they were missed much.

Furman was at one time a national power, and could well reach that level again.
UTC has underachieved for years, and could be a NC contender if they get their act together.
With ASU out of the picture, WCU may be able to step things up.
We will have scheduling issues in 2014 and 2015, but that is a temporary hiccough.

Change is change, and what happens is often unpredictable. When the ACC added VT and Miami, it was widely seen as a move up in football, but hasn't worked out that way. The current ACC line-up, when viewed by an observer from the 1980's and 1990's would look like a pre-eminent football conference, but isn't.

I agree that the SoCon will be fine and is far from collapse, but I think it will be difficult to make a net positive by replacing arguably 2 of the best current FCS schools with young or startup programs.

CID1990
April 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Based on the programs your leadership is pursuing, you're not going to know the answer to that question, though, for at a bare minimum 5 years, if not a decade. None of the teams who are rumored to be in (ETSU and Mercer) fielded teams last year. Aside from CCU, not a single team on the radar screen has made the playoffs in recent memory.

Agreed. It IS a risk, but I'm fairly certain that if the conference is using football as one of the factors in the decision process, then schools admitted partially on the basis that they will implement scholarship football will be held to that.

As for the playoffs and CCU, that is a red herring. CCU would have finished one spot above Furman in the SoCon this year, and even without ASU and GSU that would have meant no playoffs.

Again, this year the SoCon will land at least one at large bid to the playoffs. That will means that at least one team that has not been recently (or never before) will be going.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 10:17 AM
If Davidson is leaving the SoCon to pursue the Atlantic 10, it would be hypocrisy of the highest order, first spurning the nascent Patriot League due to travel costs and then spurning the CAA for the same reason. It would go against their very reasoning to stay in the SoCon for more than twenty years.

The Patriot League isn't the same caliber basketball conference and the additional revenues cover the travel costs. Apples and Oranges.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I agree that the SoCon will be fine and is far from collapse, but I think it will be difficult to make a net positive by replacing arguably 2 of the best current FCS schools with young or startup programs.

That kind of reasonable analysis is not looked kindly upon here rok.

MVC didn't miss WKU for two reasons, one they weren't the constant performer App or GSU have been and two they were replaced by NDSU and SDSU.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2013, 10:25 AM
The Patriot League isn't the same caliber basketball conference and the additional revenues cover the travel costs. Apples and Oranges.

BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!! Did you just actually say that?

CID1990
April 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
That kind of reasonable analysis is not looked kindly upon here rok.

MVC didn't miss WKU for two reasons, one they weren't the constant performer App or GSU have been and two they were replaced by NDSU and SDSU.

No, the idea that ASU and GSU must somehow be replaced nut for nut and bolt for bolt is what is not well received. You need to get over yourself. Nobody sees the "concern" over the SoCon from some of you as altruistic.

asumike83
April 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!! Did you just actually say that?

The A-10 is a multi-bid league every year, which means a bigger payout than the one-bid SoCon, Patriot League or CAA. They put five teams in the NCAA tournament this year. Not comparable to the CAA now that they've had so many deflections and certainly not comparable to the Patriot League.

For a basketball school like Davidson, they'd be crazy to turn down the A-10. Are you implying that the A-10 does not provide significantly more revenue than the SoCon, CAA or Patriot League?

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Mike he just doesn't get it.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
No, the idea that ASU and GSU must somehow be replaced nut for nut and bolt for bolt is what is not well received. You need to get over yourself. Nobody sees the "concern" over the SoCon from some of you as altruistic.

If you want to make the claim that the additions to the SoCon would result in a "net positive" then actually you need not only to replace nut for nut, but actually improve those nuts. If you were stating the SoCon will be fine, completely agree, but "net positive" is going to be tough.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Mike he just doesn't get it.

I ain't the one not getting it.

http://www.atlantic10.com/championships/atl10-championships.html

Enjoy all those flights to Dayton, Rhode Island and UMass for your Olympic Sports championships. Oh yeah, and UNCC is gone to C-USA.

CID1990
April 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM
If you want to make the claim that the additions to the SoCon would result in a "net positive" then actually you need not only to replace nut for nut, but actually improve those nuts. If you were stating the SoCon will be fine, completely agree, but "net positive" is going to be tough.

If we wind up with more football playing schools than we had before, that is a net plus. That is what I am talking about. You and Rockamortis are talking about something else entirely. Replacing ASU and GSU with two other schools that have the same or similar programs is not worth discussing because it is not possible, and in many ways not desirable, anyhow.

Exit question- if ASU and GSU were staying in the SoCon- how would that benefit, say, WCU? Elon? How are those schools negatively affected by replacing ASU and GSU with ETSU and a Mercer that may eventually play football?

asumike83
April 15th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Oh yeah, and UNCC is gone to C-USA.

And why do you think UNCC was not willing to take their other sports from the A-10 when looking for FCS conferences? They chose to be independent rather than moving their non-revenue sports from the A-10 to SoCon or Big South, despite the fact that every school is the SoCon is an easy drive from Charlotte. That pretty much sums it up.

DFW HOYA
April 15th, 2013, 11:02 AM
The A-10 is a multi-bid league every year, which means a bigger payout than the one-bid SoCon, Patriot League or CAA....For a basketball school like Davidson, they'd be crazy to turn down the A-10.

Except many of the better A-10 programs are moving out. Will the same number of bids be awarded in a league which is trading Temple, Charlotte, Butler, and Xavier for George Mason and Davidson?

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM
LFN I fully understand the increased costs, you are completely ignoring the revenue side of the equation.

Have you seen how many of the A-10 games are on ESPN, CBS, and NBC sports networks?

The A-10 RPI 7
Patriot RPI 17

asumike83
April 15th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Except many of the better A-10 programs are moving out. Will the same number of bids be awarded in a league which is trading Temple, Charlotte, Butler, and Xavier for George Mason and Davidson?

Doubt they'll see another 5-bid season like 2013 but with a line-up of VCU, St. Louis, Davidson, St. Joe's, Richmond and UMass, I don't see any single bid seasons in their future either. George Washington, George Mason, Dayton and La Salle have very solid programs as well.

Even after taking a hit, A-10 basketball is much more lucrative than the SoCon, CAA or Patriot League. The SoCon has never gotten an at-large bid in league history. They can finish 3rd in the A-10 and go dancing. They can go 18-0 in the SoCon and miss out if they don't win the tournament.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM
If we wind up with more football playing schools than we had before, that is a net plus. That is what I am talking about. You and Rockamortis are talking about something else entirely. Replacing ASU and GSU with two other schools that have the same or similar programs is not worth discussing because it is not possible, and in many ways not desirable, anyhow.

Exit question- if ASU and GSU were staying in the SoCon- how would that benefit, say, WCU? Elon? How are those schools negatively affected by replacing ASU and GSU with ETSU and a Mercer that may eventually play football?

Got it. I was confused you're saying simply number of teams vs. quality of teams, that can certainly be true.

How will losing App and GSU impact program like UTC and WCU?

1) Recruiting - the answer to the question what teams do you play most likely included App, GSU, Furman in the answer, programs recruits have heard of.

2) Ticket sales - not just visiting fans, but season ticket sales.

In some ways though it may help long-term as they should be able to have a better record playing startups. Winning curses all.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM
LFN I fully understand the increased costs, you are completely ignoring the revenue side of the equation.

Have you seen how many of the A-10 games are on ESPN, CBS, and NBC sports networks?

The A-10 RPI 7
Patriot RPI 17

It is a foregone conclusion that there will be extra NCAA revenue and TV revenue, plus RPI benefit.

That money won't cover the extra millions it will take to truck the Olympic sport student-athletes to Rhode Island and UMass, however, in non-revenue sports.

And this is especially rich from a school that turned down the CAA and whose basketball coach specifically said to SI that staying regional was of great benefit to the school.

Saint3333
April 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
DC alums have money, I'd wager some will be more than willing to give more or start giving.

asumike83
April 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Everyone has a price. Staying regional in the SoCon made it worth not going to the CAA. The A-10 offers enough extra revenue through NCAA units and TV to make it worthwhile. The chance for more NCAA trips without having to run the table in the tournament and getting higher seeds once you get there is icing on the cake.

ASUMountaineer
April 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It is a foregone conclusion that there will be extra NCAA revenue and TV revenue, plus RPI benefit.

That money won't cover the extra millions it will take to truck the Olympic sport student-athletes to Rhode Island and UMass, however, in non-revenue sports.

And this is especially rich from a school that turned down the CAA and whose basketball coach specifically said to SI that staying regional was of great benefit to the school.

People never do that...I would be shocked. xrolleyesx

etsudolfan
April 25th, 2013, 05:57 AM
does anyone have any sources on these votes? there are a lot of conflicting rumors going around out there about ETSU and conference affiliation

CID1990
April 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM
My take on it is that the SoCon has no choice but to go after ETSU or risk losing UTC to the OVC. That's how I see it.

etsudolfan
April 25th, 2013, 08:29 AM
My take on it is that the SoCon has no choice but to go after ETSU or risk losing UTC to the OVC. That's how I see it.

I agree, UTC and ETSU have a rich rivalry history...they love to hate each other. UTC has mentioned a few times publicly that they would love to see that rivalry renewed. I wonder if ETSU and UTC have been communicating about a possible joint deal...either ETSU joins them in the SoCon or they both go to the OVC? I know the OVC was interested in ETSU in 2008, sadly the admin was stupid and didn't jump on the opportunity. Hopefully no bridges were burned.

asumike83
April 25th, 2013, 08:52 AM
The SoCon would be making a big mistake if they did not bring in ETSU. History with the league, great all-sports rival for UTC and a geographic fit.

Side note: Streamed the App/ETSU baseball game (until it got rained out) last night, the new stadium at ETSU looks great.

kperk014
April 25th, 2013, 03:52 PM
ETSU football...............xlolxxlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 25th, 2013, 04:08 PM

That's odd, I remember you being none too happy about similar statements made about UNA don't I?

It's Ok to do but not to have done unto you? In fact I believe others had actual problems they cited.

Seems odd.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure all three of the SoCon, OVC, and CAA will still be all that strong at the end of this. I just get the impression that dog will eat dog at some point.

CID1990
April 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Agreed.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure all three of the SoCon, OVC, and CAA will still be all that strong at the end of this. I just get the impression that dog will eat dog at some point.

We'll still play football.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2013, 10:32 PM
We'll still play football.

Oh, without question. There is a market for "mid major" football in the Southeast. It might change names, but that crowd of teams will still play each other.

walliver
April 26th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Agreed.

For the most part, each of those 3 conferences has its own geographic bailiwick. The OVC has the mid-south, the CAA has the mid-atlantic, and the SoCon has the south atlantic, with little overlap. Samford is in the OVC geography but left the OVC for the SoCon, and it unlikely to go back. UTC is on the might be tempted to go to the OVC, and Elon might be tempted to go to the CAA, but a move would make no geographic sense for the rest of the league. JaxSt might be tempted by the SoCon but is not a likely candidate due to their FBS aspirations. Most of the CAA teams are well out of the SoCon's base.

Fans talk about all kind of conference moves (it's the off-season and we need something to talk about), but the AD's are sitting down with their calculators figuring out travel costs, and I suspect few , if any, moves will be made.

CID1990
April 26th, 2013, 07:24 AM
For the most part, each of those 3 conferences has its own geographic bailiwick. The OVC has the mid-south, the CAA has the mid-atlantic, and the SoCon has the south atlantic, with little overlap. Samford is in the OVC geography but left the OVC for the SoCon, and it unlikely to go back. UTC is on the might be tempted to go to the OVC, and Elon might be tempted to go to the CAA, but a move would make no geographic sense for the rest of the league. JaxSt might be tempted by the SoCon but is not a likely candidate due to their FBS aspirations. Most of the CAA teams are well out of the SoCon's base.

Fans talk about all kind of conference moves (it's the off-season and we need something to talk about), but the AD's are sitting down with their calculators figuring out travel costs, and I suspect few , if any, moves will be made.

You are pretty much spot on about the ADs. Larry Leckonby has made it fairly clear that we will rarely to never be playing games that we have to take an airplane to get to. I'm ok with that, but I would still like to see us in the Patriot League for our OOC games.

etsudolfan
April 26th, 2013, 08:08 AM
one of my friends that works at ETSU said that SoCon officials were on campus looking at the facilities a couple of months ago...geographically speaking and cost wise, I think ETSU will probably end up in the SoCon...just makes too much sense for both sides. I think if we go there, that will entice UTC to stay.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2013, 08:26 AM

We used to have some Jacksonville State posters around here. I know they were widely rumored to be trying to move to the FBS (particularly back when they were taking on big name transfers). I have not really heard them connected with such conversation recently. I'd be interested to know whether they are still trying to make the move, or are comfortable as is.

Furman played JSU three consecutive seasons, two of which were wild games (if you've ever wanted to see two teams celebrate a victory within seconds of one another, here's your chance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo). They've got a beautiful stadium (one of the nicest FCS parks I can remember visiting), and are already technically rivals with Samford.

fc97
April 26th, 2013, 09:25 AM
if jacksonville state and liberty are staying and could be talked into staying long term, the additions would be simple:
etsu, jax state, liberty, mercer and coastal.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM

There's more to this than meets the eye. ETSU has a Hall of Fame head coach onboard as a consultant and their most recognized football alum is a NFL head coach of a team who has been very good the past few seasons. That counts as a lot.

dgtw
April 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I'm a Jax State fan (wife is an alum) and I'd love for us to get in the Socon if FBS is not meant to be. We'd be halfway between Samford and UTC, so we'd have two close rivals to boost attendance on both sides. Also, I'm sick of playing in a league where not everyone plays a full schedule and they keep adding non football schools.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I'm a Jax State fan (wife is an alum) and I'd love for us to get in the Socon if FBS is not meant to be. We'd be halfway between Samford and UTC, so we'd have two close rivals to boost attendance on both sides. Also, I'm sick of playing in a league where not everyone plays a full schedule and they keep adding non football schools.

Well, that is still non-responsive :)

I have no doubt JSU would be willing to move to a conference where they could link up with Samford and UTC on a regular basis. Still, the question is not really whether JSU would be a fit for the SoCon, but whether FBS aspirations are actually a reality. I don't see the SoCon accepting any program on a short time basis.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
if jacksonville state and liberty are staying and could be talked into staying long term, the additions would be simple:

I'd certainly be behind that. I think that would be a fun conference to follow.

JaxSigEp94
April 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM
For Jax State, the FBS aspirations are still there - its just finding the elusive invite. The SBC is the only real option for us and the "fine" folks down in t-roy will fight tooth and nail to attempt to keep us from getting in. Apparently the state of Alabama can not handle 22 more football scholarships....we already compete with them, and other SBC members, for players as it is, but , whatever.
I think the majority of our fans would be fine to stay FCS if we could just be in a football-centric conference with some real rivals. For FBS, the SBC would offer that. The SoCon, especially if it brought in Kennesaw, could offer that. The OVC - if it could/would bring in UTC and UNA, could offer that, but the majority of the OVC seems hellbent on northern progression and basketball. The OVC is at a point now it could be forward thinking, bring in some more schools that could that could create better travel in the divisions, and expand - the keywords being "forward thinking". That is something the OVC appears not to be....
Personlly, I'd love to see UTC and ETSU in the OVC with us.

chargeradio
April 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Any chance JSU would move to the SoCon if the Sun Belt goes a different direction? It would seem to be a better pickup than a school new to FCS

JaxSigEp94
April 26th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Any chance JSU would move to the SoCon if the Sun Belt goes a different direction? It would seem to be a better pickup than a school new to FCS

I think the real question is would the SoCon look at Jax State, knowing the FBS aspirations that exist. I do believe, if the SoCon offered Jax State an invite, the Gamecocks would jump in a heartbeat in order to be with other like-minded schools.

CID1990
April 26th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I think the real question is would the SoCon look at Jax State, knowing the FBS aspirations that exist. I do believe, if the SoCon offered Jax State an invite, the Gamecocks would jump in a heartbeat in order to be with other like-minded schools.

I think that the reality is that the SoCon is a mite snakebit at this point. That's why schools like CCU (that MIGHT go into growth mode) won't get much of a look, and schools like JSU and Liberty (that have already expressed the desire to go up) will get no looks at all.

That's nothing against JSU- if I thought they wouldn't be looking to go up I would love to see them in the SoCon.

etsudolfan
April 26th, 2013, 09:39 PM
just saw this on Twitter: VolBrian ‏@VolBrian 10h
Per Coach Fulmer, ETSU football will be headed back to the Southern Conference.
https://twitter.com/VolBrian

CID1990
April 26th, 2013, 09:46 PM
just saw this on Twitter: VolBrian ‏@VolBrian 10h
Per Coach Fulmer, ETSU football will be headed back to the Southern Conference.
https://twitter.com/VolBrian

That was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I've been saying it since ETSU voted football back in.

etsudolfan
April 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM
That was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I've been saying it since ETSU voted football back in.

I agree, its just been so quiet on the ETSU front...the fans have kinda been in the dark. I think its a good fit for both the conference and ETSU...it also helps keep UTC in the SoCon.

JaxSigEp94
April 26th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Would be good news for ETSU, I suppose, while it sucks for us. If ETSU and UTC could somehow be brought into the OVC fold, that would be great news for both JSU and EKU, as we would both have a football-focused rival within a reasonable distance, and give the eastern half of the conference a strong football focus-with all 4 falling in the east.
Don't get me wrong, the OVC is a great conference, but its a hard place to live when only JSU and EKU are football-focused, and 6-7 hours away from each other.

etsudolfan
April 26th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Would be good news for ETSU, I suppose, while it sucks for us. If ETSU and UTC could somehow be brought into the OVC fold, that would be great news for both JSU and EKU, as we would both have a football-focused rival within a reasonable distance, and give the eastern half of the conference a strong football focus-with all 4 falling in the east.
Don't get me wrong, the OVC is a great conference, but its a hard place to live when only JSU and EKU are football-focused, and 6-7 hours away from each other.

I think when you compare the OVC and SoCon side by side they are close in terms of the level of competition that they offer. Ultimately, I think travel distance is playing a large role in this decision. I preferred the OVC, but I'm ok with the SoCon. I think ETSU and UTC are gonna be a package deal. SoCon probably realizes that if they don't bring in ETSU, they may risk losing UTC.

catamount man
April 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I am ready for our esteemed commish to make an announcement. Of course, I'm also ready for the conference to get a real boss, one who can put the SoCon back on one of the local FOX sports affiliates for football/basketball. ESPN3? Seriously. PBS? Seriously.

etsudolfan
April 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
lol at least with PBS everyone can watch for free...then again...that might be why they aren't making any money

rokamortis
April 27th, 2013, 10:37 AM

That would be great.

fc97
April 27th, 2013, 10:46 AM
That would be great.

expect mercer and etsu to be announced first.

etsudolfan
April 27th, 2013, 10:55 AM

have you heard or confirmed this? just curious

rokamortis
April 27th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Do you know what is going on with VMI?

Also, do you expect Elon to stay in the SoCon or go to another conference?

fc97
April 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
have you heard or confirmed this? just curious

nothing is confirmed until you see a press conference (:

so yeap, just heard from an insider.

for rokamortis, no other word on vmi, coastal or 13 or 15 teams

also no thoughts on elon and the caa. elon employees are still under a gag order.

ASUMountaineer
April 29th, 2013, 07:56 AM
lol at least with PBS everyone can watch for free...then again...that might be why they aren't making any money

The SoCon doesn't even have PBS. It's ESPN3 only. Hopefully, they can get back on actual TV soon.