PDA

View Full Version : UMass vs Colgate

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
UMass opened the game with a 3-out on D and a drive for TD on a 6 yard catch by Baylark. 7-0 UMass

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
UMass forces 3-out again on Colgates second poss

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
UMass runs down the field again and Coen throws his second TD pass.. this time 3 yards to London. 14-0 UMass

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Colgate drove to about the 20 but 3 streight negitive plays caped by Ihedigbos big sack made colgate punt the ball.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
UMass went 3-out. Koegel punted 43 yards into the wind.

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
How's the weather up there? Is Ernesto affecting play?

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
UMass held colgate.. they had a great punt of 52 yards with the wind downed at the 2.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
How's the weather up there? Is Ernesto affecting play?
Just wind at the moment.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
UMass dug themselfs out of the goaline enough to punt out. Koegel punted 44 yards into the wind.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
With 3 secs left in the half colgate threw a hail mary which was knocked down in the endzone by Brandon London. UMass up 14-0 at the half. Some halftime stats:

Coen: 7-9 60 yards and 2 tds
Baylark: 12 rushes 39 yards 1 catch 3 yards 1 td
Lawrence 5 rushes 36 yards 1 catch 12 yards
London 3 catchs 26 yards 1 td
Moore 2 catchs 16 yards

Mike Saraceno: 6-11 43 yards 5 rushes 4 yards
Jordon Scott 12 rushes 52 yards
Erik Burke 1 catch 18 yards
Wayne Moten 2 catchs 16 yards
Kenny Parker 3 catchs 9 yards

UMass TOP 13:06 140 yards
Colgate TOP 16:49 89 yards

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Coen was int and returned to the 8. 3 streight negitive plays again in the red zone and a blocked fg. UMass ball

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Coen and JJ Moore went different ways as Coen throws his second int.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Umass got an interception and returned it to the 9 yard line... next play of the game Coen ran the option and pitched to baylark for his second TD.
21-0 UMass

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Jordon Scott finally got a good hole and went 21 yards for a TD. 21-7 UMass

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Matt Lawrence returns the kickoff 68 yards to the 30. Man just think what we could have been last season if he didnt get hurt on his first carry of the year.

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
umass looking decent so far

ChickenMan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Matt Lawrence returns the kickoff 68 yards to the 30. Man just think what we could have been last season if he didnt get hurt on his first carry of the year.

BCS champs... no doubt.... xlolx

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Matt Lawrence finishes the drive with a 2 yard TD run. UMass 28-7

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
BCS champs... no doubt.... xlolx

With him and JJ Moore back... we have something we didnt have last year... A return game.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
UMass ball 3 mins left with UMass up 21. Now we are going to see Baylark Baylark Baylark.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
UMass wins 28-7. Not the score I thought but Ill take it. Offense still needs alittle tweaking but Defense looks just as good as last season. Besides a 21 yard run by Jordon Scott, they had no rushing game and only 104 yards in the air.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
UMass wins 28-7. Not the score I thought but Ill take it. Offense still needs alittle tweaking but Defense looks just as good as last season. Besides a 21 yard run by Jordon Scott, they had no rushing game and only 104 yards in the air.

That UMass D may allow the Minutemen to go a very long way this season......UNH is not an automatic in the A-10 North.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
That UMass D may allow the Minutemen to go a very long way this season......UNH is not an automatic in the A-10 North.
If Brown can come up with a way to stop Ball, it will be a long day for UNH. We usually play pretty good at their place too.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM

Not sure if anybody has said that UNH is an automatic. I don't think anybody who understands the A-10 is that foolish! :confused:

I know I've been trying to temper some of the high ranking by bringing up the reality that seven starters on defense were lost.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Not sure if anybody has said that UNH is an automatic. I don't think anybody who understands the A-10 is that foolish! :confused:

I know I've been trying to temper some of the high ranking by bringing up the reality that seven starters on defense were lost.

I think that it is people outside of A-10 circles that feel that way........it's to be expected. UNH has earned their status, but as we all know it can be tenuous at best in this league.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
If Brown can come up with a way to stop Ball, it will be a long day for UNH. We usually play pretty good at their place too.

I would have thought that after last year you learned a little humility, matured just a tad or at least to stop yourself from running off at the mouth. : smh : : smh :

Sam Adams
September 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Good solid win for UMass. Pretty thorough domination of the Red Raiders.

As for UNH, they are the best team in the A10 North until somebody proves otherwise. UNH is probably the best team in the A10 and one of the top teams in 1AA. UMass will need to get a whole lot better fast in order to avoid getting blown out by Navy next weekend.

colgate13
September 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
You both have such CUTE signatures! Really, I love them.

Not surprised at the outcome, but surprised at the lack of offense from Colgate.

From Colgate's perspective, all's not bad. The defensive unit did a pretty good job, and that was our main concern. The offense needs to find it's groove, and with a week off I hope we will. UMass is a top 10 team this year. We'll be OK.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
I would have thought that after last year you learned a little humility, matured just a tad or at least to stop yourself from running off at the mouth. : smh : : smh :
Why should I? How many A10 coaches recently said we were the best team they played last year? Three, and guess what.... we are even better this year.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
You both have such CUTE signatures! Really, I love them.

Not surprised at the outcome, but surprised at the lack of offense from Colgate.

From Colgate's perspective, all's not bad. The defensive unit did a pretty good job, and that was our main concern. The offense needs to find it's groove, and with a week off I hope we will. UMass is a top 10 team this year. We'll be OK.
Our Defense did the same thing to you this year that it did last year... gave up just one score. You had the ball twice in the redzone besides the scoring drive and Brown threw you some curve balls with major blitzes. I was suprised you even scored 7 points the way our defense was playing.

Jaxhen
September 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Are you guys, UMASS Fan and Sam Adams, related? Why don't you guys grow up a little?

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Are you guys, UMASS Fan and Sam Adams, related? Why don't you guys grow up a little?
I work alot so I dont have time to research my posts. I just want to be covered incase my posts are not well thought out or incase someone disagrees with what I have to say.

Sam Adams
September 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM

Whats the big deal? I think the UD kids need to chill out and relax a bit. Between career and family responsibilities its nice to come here and not have to worry about accuracey and its great to know that the fans here such as bluekeys will be understanding.

Nice win for UMass. Colgate will be much improved after this game and there should be hell to pay in the PL for Gate opponents. Hopefully UMass will represent 1AA proudly against Navy next weekend. I'm sure our kids will give it 110% against the middies.

Happy Labor Day:beerchug:

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
about time Umass beat 'em :)

McUMass
September 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Good win for the boys... wish I could have been there, but the CU/Montana State game was pretty damn good as well. I wish I could make it to more games than the friggin Stony Brook one.

Good game, lets get Navy

colgate13
September 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Both of you - to the other thread. I think you have egg on your face.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Both of you - to the other thread. I think you have egg on your face.
For what? I just posted other faults of yours just the same. I can pick out more if you want me to do some research but as my disclaimer states... I dont have time for research.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Not happy about losing but Colgate has terrible trouble in its openers. Not a good day for the Patriot League generally.

colgate13
September 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM
For what? I just posted other faults of yours just the same. I can pick out more if you want me to do some research but as my disclaimer states... I dont have time for research.
There is a difference in being wrong with predictions and being accurate or clueless with the material presented. The issues you took such care in pointing out to me proved to be nonsense. xcoffeex

And I don't expect you to do any research. You never have before. You just repeat what's been said by the UMass sports information department. That's not research; that's regurgitation. :pumpuke:

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM
As someone who was at the game, I can say I was not overly impressed with either team. Now, before I get jumped on, I want to point out that UMass was the better team today and certainly deserved the win. The two big moments in the game for me were 1) Colgate's failure to convert their 1st and Goal from the 8 after the big INT (no gain, snap over QB's head, sack, blocked FG :bang: :bang: :bang: ) and 2) UMass getting the big kickoff return after Colgate's TD, which lead to the final score. Bottom line was that UMass took advantage of their opportunities, while Colgate did a decent job of losing momentum. After a rough 1st quarter, the defense settled down and did a decent job holding off the Minutemen. UMass' defense was impressive for most of the game, but benefited from more than a few dropped passes by Colgate recievers. Both offenses looked very conservative and seem to have some kinks to work out still, of course. Truth be told, I do not think UMass is/was a full 21 points better than Colgate. However, that's the way the game played out.

Good luck the rest of the way, maybe we'll get another shot at one another in November/December (or just wait until next year) :beerchug:

umassfan
September 3rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
As someone who was at the game, I can say I was not overly impressed with either team. Now, before I get jumped on, I want to point out that UMass was the better team today and certainly deserved the win. The two big moments in the game for me were 1) Colgate's failure to convert their 1st and Goal from the 8 after the big INT (no gain, snap over QB's head, sack, blocked FG :bang: :bang: :bang: ) and 2) UMass getting the big kickoff return after Colgate's TD, which lead to the final score. Bottom line was that UMass took advantage of their opportunities, while Colgate did a decent job of losing momentum. After a rough 1st quarter, the defense settled down and did a decent job holding off the Minutemen. UMass' defense was impressive for most of the game, but benefited from more than a few dropped passes by Colgate recievers. Both offenses looked very conservative and seem to have some kinks to work out still, of course. Truth be told, I do not think UMass is/was a full 21 points better than Colgate. However, that's the way the game played out.

Good luck the rest of the way, maybe we'll get another shot at one another in November/December (or just wait until next year) :beerchug:

I think we are better then a 21 point advantage. After the first, it seemed like we just went on cruise control. The way our D was playing, Colgate was no real threat to us all day. This isnt the days of Whipple who beats teams 77-0. Brown likes to control the game and that is what we did. You mention about our big kick return. Well it seems like you forget that your big kick return set up the only TD you got. There is a reason you only had something like 12 yards in the first qt.

Sam Adams
September 3rd, 2006, 10:18 PM

It was the season opener and the teams reflected that. UMass was clearly superior and the game was not really in doubt after the 1st. quarter. Mainly because the UMass D manhandled the Gate O. UMass got the 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter and were comfortable with being a bit conservative. UMass was definately 21 points better than Gate. Heck, Gate got shutout 21-0 through 3 quarters despite having a distinct advantage in TOP.

Good luck the rest of the way - I'd hope that Gate & UMass continue this series.