PDA

View Full Version : Montana-Iowa Game Thread

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Game has started with Iowa starting with the ball...

Montana forces the fumble on the first drive forcing a Hawkeye punt, so the Grizzlies take over the ball at their own 20 yard line...

12:26 left in the 1Q...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Montana is forced to punt the ball to Iowa after Swogger can't convert the 3rd and 6...

Iowa gets the ball on their own 27 to get things started for drive #2...

AZGrizFan
September 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
What are you watching the game on?

Tod
September 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
UHG!! I'm supposed to be at a sports bar watching this right now! I didn't think it started for 25 minutes.

Talk to ya'll after the game. Good luck to all!! :) :) :) :)

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
What are you watching the game on?

The game is on ESPNU...I have the DirecTV Sports Pack...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Iowa can not convert the pass on 3rd and 1 as the pass is dropped...

Drew Tate is called to the sideline and Kirk Ferentz decides to go for the 4th and short...big first down by the Hawkeyes who are now to the Montana 25...

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Monatana LB dropped INT in his hands....at 20.....that will hurt.....

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Iowa gets the touchdown on a short Drew Tate pass...Hawkeyes on the board with 7:06 left in the first quarter...

igo4uni
September 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Iowa scores 7-0

AZGrizFan
September 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
Argh! I can't get the game on the internet!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
:rotateh: Swogger is Deer in Head Lights......:rotateh:

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Iowa gets a sack of Swogger on third down...

Montana is forced to punt away, Iowa gets possession of the ball once more at the Iowa 36...and a penalty before the snap, pushing the ball back five yards...

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
The game is on ESPNU...I have the DirecTV Sports Pack...

Me Too!!....my roomate works for DirectTV

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Montana's D-Line is REALLY good!!!!

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Montana is getting good field position here...

They'll start off with 1st and 10 at the Iowa 49 after the Hawkeyes got caught up in penalties and were unable to move the offense forward...

3:22 left on the clock in the 1Q...

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Swogger is holding the ball FOREVER.......

Tod
September 2nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Swogger is holding the ball FOREVER.......

Meaning too long, or his O-line is giving him plenty of time?

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
too long....

play action looks great when he comes out throwing....but in Shotgun....he has 3 secs but keeps holding for a sack....

Maybe coach doesn't want an INT.....

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Grizzlies amounted 40 yards of penalties in the first quarter...a big one just a few snaps ago on 2nd and 14 from the Iowa six yard line that gave the Hawkeyes a first down...and breathing room...

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
defense is doing ok, need some offense though. looks like iowa may score again.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
defense is doing ok, need some offense though. looks like iowa may score again.

Yep, Iowa scores again...14-0...Iowa, 6:28 2Q...

dbackjon
September 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Come on Griz!! Do the BSC proud!

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Iowa picks off Swogger...

Iowa within striking distance of the red zone...at the Montana 26...

dbackjon
September 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Montana holds them to a FG - 17-0 Iowa

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
I was listening to the game on XM Satellite radio. In the second quarter, the Iowa announcer said that the Montana punter "sure jacked off a good one!" And nobody in the booth laughed.

:D :D

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Eric Allen (spelling?)......he is the REAL DEAL!!!!!:bow:

Be a hand ful for I-AA teams....

17-7 Iowa....

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Iowa fumbles on their own 45, Montana recovers & marches down the field for an Eric Allen touchdown. 17-7 Iowa. Lets go Griz!!!!

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Iowa answers right back w/a TD. 24-7 Hawkeyes.

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Eric Allen
Born: 11/6/1984
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 202.0 lbs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Year: Junior
Major: Communication Studies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO
Previous School: Oklahoma State

Career Stats
Photos | Audio/Video | News

Griz head coach Bobby Hauck lauded Eric's play last spring saying he was one of the most improved players on the team, and he will start at one of UM's wide receiver spots. He is the team's fourth-leading returning receiver. He begins his junior campaign with no touchdown receptions.

2005: He started in 11 of 12 games (he did not start in the Oct. 22 game against Cal Poly) and played in all 12. “EA” tied for fifth on the team with 14 receptions, while his 106 yards ranked him sixth.

Oklahoma State: He came to Montana as a sophomore transfer from Oklahoma State and was a redshirt at OSU in 2003.

High School: Eric prepped at Palmer High School. He had 60 catches for 1,019 yards as a junior. His senior season he had 67 receptions for 971 yards and 18 touchdowns. Allen was twice selected all-state and all-conference. He was voted his Palmer High School team's Outstanding Receiver as a junior and senior. His high school coach was Rob Baker.

Personal: Birth date: November 6, 1984. His major is communication studies. His parents are Patti Kryszanowki and Frank Allen of Colorado Springs.

Career highs: He had 3 receptions for 35 yards, with a long of 19 yards, all at Sacramento State, 2005.

Quoting Coach Bobby Hauck: "Eric Allen had one of the best spring practices, if not the best, on our football team. He's transformed himself from a guy who was not a real physical player and was a little bit tentative, into a player who is a hard-charger and leader at his position. He will be a force to be reckoned with this season."

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
where is chambers?

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Chambers still hasn't been cleared to play so he didn't make the trip.

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Iowa just tacked on another TD 31-7. They have really worn down our defense.

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
You can say that Iowa has worn the Defense down....but Montana's D-Line has played VERY well.....and I'm extremely impressed.

Can't wait to watch Cal-Poly try to run against it.....should be exciting....

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Those 2 personal foul penalties were tough.....Could have gone either way....:(

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Iowa scores a TD w/6 seconds left & will win 41-7. I am just glad this game is behind us. On to the real season now.

diznanl
September 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
sounds a little like the Oregon State vs Eastern Washington game... ouch

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
I wihs they'd stick with Cole. Swogger's not looking so hot so far.

PapaBear
September 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
This was a great game until about midway through the third quarter. A few observations ...

1. Lack of a running game really hurt the Griz. Maybe Hilliard would've helped? xcoffeex

2. Allen is a big-time player. That TD catch was ill.

3. Swogger ... eh ... not so much. Big kid with a big arm, but runs soft and his accuracy is VERY inconsistent. Chalk it up to first-game/big-game jitters and move on from there.

4. Hauck made a great decision getting Swogger out of the pocket in the second half. Really gave him a much better chance to make some plays.

5. Penalties and dropped passes killed a lot of Griz drives, too, it seemed.

I really thought you guys had a chance to win it after Allen's TD catch, but then your D followed up with about their worst series of the game. Overall, though, very entertaining. If UMaine is lucky enough to see you guys down the road this year ... yikes.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Proud Griz Man
September 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Truthfully, Iowa is #16 ranked and was too much for us today. Iowa's running backs are scary quick, and their big TE is primed for the NFL.

We got paid $650,000 and did not suffer many injuries. xcoffeex We will learn more about the Griz next weekend against a good SoDak State team.

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
good points....but I believe you find out more in a loss......just don't have more than 3 learning session.

I think your D-line learned alot...they played well!!!!

Reed Rothchild
September 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Montana's Defense looked good but Swogger did not. He almost looked like he didn't care. Greg Coleman is too slow to be a DI runningback. The same was the case for him at Iowa State, but worse. He would be better at Fullback or Linebacker. Montana with Lex is a different team today.

Tod
September 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Just got back from the sports bar. While the Griz did get pretty much stomped score-wise, I think in many aspects they peformed amirably. Hopefully, this is simply a lesson in tough football and they can get on with the season and win enough games to make it to the playoffs.

Not, bad, Griz! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Next week is more important. :nod:

Tod
September 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Montana's Defense looked good but Swogger did not. He almost looked like he didn't care. Greg Coleman is too slow to be a DI runningback. The same was the case for him at Iowa State, but worse. He would be better at Fullback or Linebacker. Montana with Lex is a different team today.

I think you're right. But hey, we have to work with what we have. I still think the Griz are one of the top teams in I-AA. But honestly, they may move down a few places on my poll. Hard to say with a good I-A team, but we'll have to see what happens with the rest of the top 25.

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM

Swogger will be fine. He didn't get a lot of time to find receivers and was on the run a lot. We had one starting O-Lineman out with an ankle and one just got back this week after missing the entire fall camp, he was out of shape I'm sure.

swaghook
September 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I thought the Griz held tough but the last TD by IOWA showed little sportsmanship. When they could have knelt on the ball for the last minute and a half they didn't.

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
I thought the Griz held tough but the last TD by IOWA showed little sportsmanship. When they could have knelt on the ball for the last minute and a half they didn't.

Nope they were running it up.

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM

They ran the ball the last 8-10 plays of the game. Big deal, gotta let the 2nd stringers play like it is a real game. I have no problem whatsoever w/what Iowa did. If the Griz didn't like it they should have stopped them.

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
They ran the ball the last 8-10 plays of the game. Big deal, gotta let the 2nd stringers play like it is a real game. I have no problem whatsoever w/what Iowa did. If the Griz didn't like it they should have stopped them.

As long as I've been following the Griz we take a knee in the last minute when we're up unless it's close. It is and always will be an insult to score a TD in the last minute when you're way up.

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
What about the Griz haning 80 on Weber St. during the Dennehy days? Should we have been taking a knee when we hit 60? I just don't think it is that big of a deal. Its not like they were throwing & running trick plays to score.

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
What about the Griz haning 80 on Weber St. during the Dennehy days? Should we have been taking a knee when we hit 60? I just don't think it is that big of a deal. Its not like they were throwing & running trick plays to score.

Go look at the play chart. I'll bet the last minute they took a knee in that game. But Dennehy would run it up but he'd do it with the scrubs. Iowa left the starters in till 8 minutes to go and when they put in the 2nd offense I noticed we put in the 2nd defense.

Mountain Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM

The Hawks pulled the same thing on us last year. It was 38-21 and they scored one more TD as time ran out. 38-21 just looks better than 45-21.

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
Lets just agree to disagree on this one Ronbo.

GOKATS
September 2nd, 2006, 11:01 PM

They had nothing but second and third stringers in who are just trying to get some game time in. The fact that they were able to march down the field and score is not running it up.

Nyghtewynd
September 3rd, 2006, 12:30 AM
It wasn't even the second string. The guy who scored the TD was something like the fifth RB.

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
I don't disagree that everyone had the scubs in. We had our second defense in there too. We went to the second team as soon as Iowa did with 8 minutes to go. What I have trouble with is not taking a knee in the last minute when you're ahead by 4 TD's. Lack of respect and bush league. Montana always takes a knee in the last minute even if we are up by just 10 points.

AZGrizFan
September 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM
I don't disagree that everyone had the scubs in. We had our second defense in there too. We went to the second team as soon as Iowa did with 8 minutes to go. What I have trouble with is not taking a knee in the last minute when you're ahead by 4 TD's. Lack of respect and bush league. Montana always takes a knee in the last minute even if we are up by just 10 points.

Whatever. Much like the NAU/ASU game, I'll look at this as 17-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, and then the size/schollies/talent difference got the best of them. We (particularly the defense) played exceedingly well, and as expected, the offense couldn't move the ball against them. We got exactly what we should have expected.....an ass whipping and $600,000 for the coffers.

Maybe we should have scheduled Colorado. :eek: :eek: :eek:

griz&beer
September 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Ya that was horse *****. Low class. Any team with class would take the knee.

Nyghtewynd
September 3rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Oh please. Get over yourselves. I hope your team isn't worried about "respect" so much; otherwise, you're going to have a disappointing season.

VictorG
September 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM

For $600,000 they could have scored and did on onsides kick for all I care! I wouldn't call what happened "bush" leauge any more than I'll call their "pink" locker rooms "bush" league. They ran the ball, we didn't stop them. Maybe it was just a "bone" for their second and 3rd stringers who may not get to play much the rest of the year.

The Griz will be in the same position as Iowa was in games this year and I hope the 2nd string tries to score as often as they can. We might take a knee with 6 seconds left but that's just the way we are!:)

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Whatever. Much like the NAU/ASU game, I'll look at this as 17-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, and then the size/schollies/talent difference got the best of them. We (particularly the defense) played exceedingly well, and as expected, the offense couldn't move the ball against them. We got exactly what we should have expected.....an ass whipping and $600,000 for the coffers.

Maybe we should have scheduled Colorado. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You hit the nail on the head AZ. Montana knew what they were heading into yesterday and I know for certain there wasn't a I-AA team in the country that could have played them any tougher than the Griz did. Considering that the griz got out of Kinnick (with $600K) without any serious injuries I would say that yesterdays game was a great success for Montana. Not to rain on MSU"s parade at all but I am guessing the Griz would have put the hurt on Colorado as well. Montana lost its opener in 2000 and 2001 and played their last game in Chatty each of those years. Montana is going to be very good this year.

Chi Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
This thread is crazy....I watched all the Montana at Iowa game and all of the MSU at CU game.

Iowa didn't need to score the extra TD but they did.....with a 5th string RB and 3rd string QB. Luckily you were not playing a Spurrier team.

I would have to disagree and say Montana would NOT have beaten CU.....and how can you say they would have beaten them by more?????

MSU's passing game looked fantastic.....Swooger was deer in head lights.
Yes Iowa is a better team than CU....but MSU played perfect with the exception of the goal line stand that CU had.....

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
This thread is crazy....I watched all the Montana at Iowa game and all of the MSU at CU game.

Iowa didn't need to score the extra TD but they did.....with a 5th string RB and 3rd string QB. Luckily you were not playing a Spurrier team.

I would have to disagree and say Montana would NOT have beaten CU.....and how can you say they would have beaten them by more?????

MSU's passing game looked fantastic.....Swooger was deer in head lights.
Yes Iowa is a better team than CU....but MSU played perfect with the exception of the goal line stand that CU had.....

I watched both games also, and I have watched more griz and bobcat games in the last year than you probably have in your life. If you don't think Iowa is a vastly superior team to Colorado then you must not pay much attention to I-A football. Montana would have rocked CU yesterday, plain and simple. CU sucks right now but Hawkins will make a respectable team out of them.

Blue42
September 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
You hit the nail on the head AZ. Montana knew what they were heading into yesterday and I know for certain there wasn't a I-AA team in the country that could have played them any tougher than the Griz did.

Hmmmm....Northern Iowa put up 21 points against the Hawks in Kinnick Stadium last year with Adbul Hodge and Chad Greenway playing at LB for Iowa the entire game. So not sure I'd reach so hard to pat yourself on the back for the 7 point outburst.

GtFllsGriz
September 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Just curious, were they against the starters or second and third string? They did not remove their starters until midway throught the 4th quarter yesterday. That alone impresses me with the game. Certainly I hate the final score but I still say that the starter's score was 34-7.

There were alot of more lopsided scores than that yesterday amongst I-A teams and many of them were weaker teams than Iowa.

The Griz would have represented themselve very well with alot of I-A teams yesterday.

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm....Northern Iowa put up 21 points against the Hawks in Kinnick Stadium last year with Adbul Hodge and Chad Greenway playing at LB for Iowa the entire game. So not sure I'd reach so hard to pat yourself on the back for the 7 point outburst.

Yea, and I also saw lots of highlights from the UNI/IOWA game from last year. UNI was dominated by IOWA from the get go. Don't pat yourself on the back for your 21 point outburst. The Hawkeye fans all said UNI was little competition. I of course reminded them how badly The Griz beat UNI a few years ago. xlolx

Reed Rothchild
September 3rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yup, keep listening to those Iowa fans. They think they won the NC last year after going 7-5 and backing into a new years day bowl game.

Not to mention that Sanders had one of the best stastical passing games against that same defense ALL YEAR. And last I checked, 21 was a heck of a lot more than 7.

Hammerhead
September 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
I thought the Griz put up a good peformance against a top ten D-1A school. NDSU plays at Minnesota later this year and I'll be happy if my team doesn't lose by more than 60 points. :-)

Mountain Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yea, and I also saw lots of highlights from the UNI/IOWA game from last year. UNI was dominated by IOWA from the get go. Don't pat yourself on the back for your 21 point outburst. The Hawkeye fans all said UNI was little competition. I of course reminded them how badly The Griz beat UNI a few years ago. xlolx

I think everyone in this thread will agree that your performance against Iowa was not nearly as good as expected.

Reed Rothchild
September 3rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
NDSU plays at Minnesota later this year and I'll be happy if my team doesn't lose by more than 60 points. :-)

I don't think they will lose by a lot. Minnesota is not going to be good this year. I think its another chance for an upset.

September 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
... D-1A school...Wondering why former D-II schools put a D- in front of I-AA and spell Division I with an arabic one? Ohhhhhhhhhh, it's because they weren't at the top of it in D-II. Folks, it's okay to type I-AA or the other subdivision. It's the last regular season to do it! Of course the roman one continues...

Chi Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
I watched both games also, and I have watched more griz and bobcat games in the last year than you probably have in your life. If you don't think Iowa is a vastly superior team to Colorado then you must not pay much attention to I-A football. Montana would have rocked CU yesterday, plain and simple. CU sucks right now but Hawkins will make a respectable team out of them.

Bold Statement....:nono:....please have some respect for what MSU accomplished....

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
I think everyone in this thread will agree that your performance against Iowa was not nearly as good as expected.

Well we were only down 17-7 well into the third quarter and Iowa left in the 1st teamers till 8:00 remaining in the 4th quarter. When they brought in their 2nd team Hauck inserted our second team. I noted these things and the time on the clock because I knew it would come up.

Northern Iowa on the other hand was blown out early 38-7 and the Iowa second teamers came in in the middle of the third quarter. And from what I've been told you left in your first teamers. So yeah you got a couple late TD's but the Griz game was closer.

Here's some comments form the Iowa fans.

Well for what it's worth, Montana is the Best I-AA team ever to set foot in Kinnick and better than many I-A and even some Big Ten teams I've seen there throughout the years.

Your defense played a helluva game. I think your LB's will be dominant this season. Swooger became comfortable later in the game, but the lack of a steady rushing attack hurt you guys very badly.

Best of luck to the Griz this season, I hope your fans who attended the game had a great experience in Iowa City.

This Montana team would've beaten last year's Northern Iowa team. They have a very solid defense that did as good a job at stopping Iowa's run game as any other team has done other than Ohio State last year. I'll be watching for Montana scores this year and I expect them to do big things this season.

Is that people who didn't watch or listen will look at the score and think that the Griz got a garbage touchdown against the scrubs late. Believe me, Hawkeye fans know otherwise.

This didn't feel like the typical pre-Big Ten tuneup game, despite the score. Iowa subs didn't come in until fourth quarter. Montana was excellent against the run; even in years with lesser running games we've often cut through defense like butter agaisnt low-level 1A teams.

Good luck rest of the year to the Griz. I'll keep a watch on how you're doing.

This definately wasn't a "tune up" game for Iowa. This team played solid defense the first two quarters up until they got worn out. They didn't give up 100 yards rushing to albert young with says a lot considering he played most of the game and had 19 carries. Only Ohio State and Florida have had better luck defending him last season. I feel like Montana would have good success against last year's UNI team, probably would've beaten them and definately could've beaten a few big 10 teams today. This game was no where near as lopsided as it looked and the fact that our starters were in there halfway through the 4th quarter says something. I look forward to seeing what this team does the rest of the season and I'd be surprised if I didn't see them go deep in the playoffs.

I was very impressed with your defense especially your run D. You guys are going to give teams nightmares this year. Your punter is also a stud. Good luck with the rest of your schedule Grizz fans I will be pulling for you.

Good job today guys, this game was a lot closer than the score indicated. This team is way better on defense than UNI was last year when they finished 2nd in the nation, way better. In fact I think this montana team could beat last year's UNI team. The first half you really tested our offense and I was impressed with the speed of your team. I'm just glad our defense was dominant because if it wasn't Iowa would've really been in a dogfight. Be proud you held albert young to under 100 yards too, that's something only a few teams have done when he's played most of the game. You have a quality team and I expect them to do big things in D1aa football.

At the risk of being redundant, I'll chime in as well.
There's a reason why the Iowa fans in our local pub were restless for more than the first half.
The Griz defense, in particular, played tough, hard-nosed football, especially against the run.
I doubt there was a Hawkeye player that left the field with less than respect for a strong team.
I watched other B10 teams today play Vandy and Idaho, and the Griz, IMO played just as strong.
Good luck with the rest of your schedule.

Albert Young last year had 100 yard game in 7 of 8 Big Ten games. He finished the season with 8 straight 100 yard games. The Griz held a Doak Walker Award nominee to UNDER 100 yards!!! Your D will dominate D-1AA schools this year no doubt about it.

Keep your head up Griz fans...... you have alot to be proud of today.

There was more but I thought I better stop, you get the idea. We'll see you in the playoffs.

putter
September 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Lets stop the pissing match. UNI scored 21 last year and we scored 7 this year. All that won't even get you a bag of chips! Our offense struggled again but Iowa's D line were studs and did a great job against us. At least we gave them a better game than Ball St.! It was great preparation for a QB and 2 RB's with a whole 2 weeks in this system and will prepare us for SD State! Lets lose the venom over who played better than who as it won't get either of us to Chattanooga this year.

Seadragon76
September 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
*Reads Ronbo's post*

Wow... I'm amazed that Iowa fans have any class whatsoever.

I wished that I saw the game, but since I couldn't, I have to say that at least the Griz scored 7 points against Iowa.

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Bold Statement....:nono:....please have some respect for what MSU accomplished....

My comment was in no way meant as a brag of any sort or a put down to the bobcats. What I should have said was "any good I-AA team would have upset CU yesterday. I mean be honest, CU looked bad. CSU is going to put a big hurt on them.

elkmcc
September 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Well we were only down 17-7 well into the third quarter and Iowa left in the 1st teamers till 8:00 remaining in the 4th quarter. When they brought in their 2nd team Hauck inserted our second team. I noted these things and the time on the clock because I knew it would come up.

Northern Iowa on the other hand was blown out early 38-7 and the Iowa second teamers came in in the middle of the third quarter. And from what I've been told you left in your first teamers. So yeah you got a couple late TD's but the Griz game was closer.

There was more but I thought I better stop, you get the idea. We'll see you in the playoffs.

I don't usually defend ronbo but he is absolutely right here. Montana played very respectively against Iowa but a few UNI fans would like to leave the impression that was not the case. I think they are still pissed that we shellacked them in the semi's in 2001.xlolx

Tod
September 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
I wasn't so much disappointed in the performance as the score.

Much like NAU, we played a tough game, but were overwhelmed by superior depth (and talent, to one degree or another) as the game wore on.

Even against Oregon last year, arguably as good as Iowa this year, if not better (remains to be seen), we put up 14 points and had Ducks fans booing their own team because of the high number of FGs. And we were crap at QB last year.

Mountain Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM

Dude, relax. My comment was intended for all the Montana fans who were predicting an upset.

crunifan
September 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Iowa fans think Montana would have beaten UNI last year. How cute.

You guys played well against Iowa. How you played against them this year can in no way be compared to how we played them last year. So let's forget about it, and move on with the season.

Chi Panther
September 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM

----------------------
you can go to www.hawkeyereport.com and find many post like this....

icantf...ntused
user profile
Post #3496 Re: THOUGHTS ON TODAYS GAME Reply

I don't know what to take from this game. Montana is suppose to be a very good D-1AA team much like UNI last year. I think we did better in this game than we did last year, so that makes me happy, and I really liked the way our DL looked. However, our offense scared me. I was high on Brodell going into the year, this game makes me think differently. Hopefully Grigsby can come in and help the offense. Douglas looked good. Chandler was what I expected. Where was Moeaki? I was hoping to see more of him. The running game looked a little slow, but the final stats are decent. I was extremely happy overall with our defense. We gave up 3.9 yards per pass and .4 yards per run. Mattison looked very good and I liked how our secondary looked.

Overall I am pleased, but still unsure because I don't know how good Montana really is. I think we will learn a lot more next week against Syracuse.

Soo happy that some hawkeye fans stopped by EGriz and were complimentary....

Team Stat Comparison (UNI on the Left....Iowa on the Right)

1st Downs 20 24
3rd down efficiency 7-14 5-11
4th down efficiency 0-0 0-1
Total Yards 368 496
Passing 263 265
Comp-Att 19-29 18-23
Yards per pass 8.5 10.6
Rushing 105 231
Rushing Attempts 41 39
Yards per rush 2.6 5.9
Penalties 4-37 2-20
Turnovers 2 0
Fumbles lost 1 0
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 33:47 26:13

-----------------

Team Stat Comparison (Montana Left and Iowa Right)

1st Downs 11 22
3rd down efficiency 6-15 5-13
4th down efficiency 0-0 2-2
Total Yards 144 416
Passing 134 250
Comp-Att 17-31 20-35
Yards per pass 3.9 6.9
Rushing 10 166
Rushing Attempts 24 38
Yards per rush 0.4 4.4
Penalties 10-117 8-79
Turnovers 1 1
Fumbles lost 0 1
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 29:36 30:24

Grizo406
September 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM

Having seen both games, and listening to various Hawkeye fans, I'm left with the conclusion that some UNI posters are a little cranky because the Kinnick faithful though the Griz were tougher than the Panthers last season??? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sweet Jesus, I've got nothin' but love, and respect for MSU, and UNI, but come on here, saying UM wouldn't have beat CU is just wrong!

crunifan
September 4th, 2006, 01:26 AM
----------------------

Team Stat Comparison (UNI on the Left....Iowa on the Right)

1st Downs 20 24
3rd down efficiency 7-14 5-11
4th down efficiency 0-0 0-1
Total Yards 368 496
Passing 263 265
Comp-Att 19-29 18-23
Yards per pass 8.5 10.6
Rushing 105 231
Rushing Attempts 41 39
Yards per rush 2.6 5.9
Penalties 4-37 2-20
Turnovers 2 0
Fumbles lost 1 0
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 33:47 26:13

-----------------

Team Stat Comparison (Montana Left and Iowa Right)

1st Downs 11 22
3rd down efficiency 6-15 5-13
4th down efficiency 0-0 2-2
Total Yards 144 416
Passing 134 250
Comp-Att 17-31 20-35
Yards per pass 3.9 6.9
Rushing 10 166
Rushing Attempts 24 38
Yards per rush 0.4 4.4
Penalties 10-117 8-79
Turnovers 1 1
Fumbles lost 0 1
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 29:36 30:24

I'm not trying to be a smartass, seriously, but did Montana really only get 10 rushing yards? I didn't see the game, so I don't know.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I don't remember any Griz fan predicting a victory that wasn't tounge in cheek Mountain. We knew it would be a tall task to stay with them and it was. With all the starters back on this Iowa team they should have a shot at the Big 10 title this year and are probably better than last year. As for the rushing stat I'm as perplexed as any of you, the Montana game plan had 18 dives into the heart of Iowa's D-Line which is ranked the 4th best in the Country and 6 rushes were scrambles by Swogger who ended at -9 yards. Very conservative run game.

speechpanther
September 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM
As someone who watched last year's game on tv and attended this year's game in Kinnick, I think it is very difficult to fairly compare these two Iowa teams. Last year, Iowa's offense had a better WR corps and thus were able to score more quickly than this year. For those of y'all who watched the game, how many dropped passes were there by Brodell? How big of a difference would it have made for the Hawks if they could have had those catches? That might have gotten our 1st teamers off the field and allowed Montana to score more...It also may have run up the score more quickly.

If the two teams we played are really different, how can we be comparing our performances from both years? It just doesn't make sense guys. I just started at Iowa this year, and I will be the first to say that you shouldn't place too much stock in what some Hawks fans say...much of what I hear from our fans make the guys on Gameday look like geniuses.

I thought Montana's defense looked quite good too. However, 4th ranked D-Line or not, your offense (and especially your I-A transfer RB) looked absolutely horrible. For your team's sake, I hope you got the kinks out of the system this week before you start taking on some I-AA opponents.

Regardless, thanks to Montana for giving Iowa some real football competition...after playing Ball State last year, I think the Hawks may be realizing that there are many teams in I-AA that will give them a better game than a I-A team will.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Coleman will get a couple more games to prove himself. If he doesn't, Bradshaw is licking his chops.

Reed Rothchild
September 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Northern Iowa on the other hand was blown out early 38-7 and the Iowa second teamers came in in the middle of the third quarter. And from what I've been told you left in your first teamers.

Actually, the points UNI scored last year was against Iowa's first team defense. They left their first team defense in the entire game.