PDA

View Full Version : BASN's #1 Hampton vs #2 Grambling

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know about you, but this is how my day of college football begins, Hampton vs Grambling. These two teams may be much different from last year, they both may very well not even win their conferences this year after being 11-1 last year. Who knows?

I'm just interested to see how Grambling will fare against Hampton. Grambling fans are thinking they are going to win this. Reading up on SWACPage, it seems that they are very confident about their team's chances, especially the arm of Landers. Matt D has Hampton 28-20.

Thoughts on the game? Predictions?

BASN'S HBCU Game Of The Week: No. 1 Hampton vs. No. 2 Grambling in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge
by Tony McClean, [email protected]
published on Sep 2, 2006

the match up NEW HAVEN, Ct. -- For the first full weekend of black college football, some fans may think that the powers that be have taken a page from the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series.

Every year the sport's biggest race of the year, the Daytona 500, is held at the beginning of the season. This Saturday, a battle of the top two teams in HBCU football will be the highlight of this weekend's schedule.

Hampton, No. 1 in BASN's current Top 10 Poll, will travel to Birmingham, Alabama to meet No. 2 Grambling in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge at Legion Field. Both teams are also featured prominently (the Pirates at 13, the Tigers at 23) ranked in the Sport Network's Division I-AA poll. The game will be seen on ESPN beginning at 11 am ET.

Both schools were 11-1 last year and co-national champions of black college football. While both teams lost key players to graduation, there's still plenty of fire power on both sides.

http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_02302.shtml

RabidRabbit
September 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM
This Game has the most direct affect on the rankings. Hope it's a nail-biter to the end.

Best of game and half-time shows to both schools!:thumbsup:

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
I am recording Hampton/Grambling and Jax St/Furman while I am at work. I work for a cable company and we have ESPN Full Access at work, so I will be listening to/watching WKU/Georgia.

Great day of football! :hurray:

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Can you digitize and email????

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
Our favorite SWAC writer breaks it down this morning in the Monroe News Star...Spears is talking like his team is an underdog. We'll see what kind of team comes out on top here...

KEYS TO VICTORY

Landers has been very efficient of late in practice. That meant taking what the defense gave him. There was the occasional long ball, but more often he hit check-down receivers like Neville product Tim Abney underneath. The coaches also liberally called running plays through senior Ab Kuuan, who charged with precision and power. It looked like the recipe for success. Will the coaches trust that scheme — and can Landers execute it against the MEAC's No. 1 defense?

TOP MATCHUP

Hampton RB vs. Grambling DL

Rusher Alonzo Coleman just picked up an impressive third straight MEAC offensive player of the year award. GSU meanwhile, is rebuilding again after losing another defender to the NFL Draft. Hampton hired a new coordinator who has talked about opening things up, but I suspect the Pirates will still rely heavily on Coleman.

GET IN THE GAME

While both programs should look at this game as a platform for their seasons, that's perhaps more so for Grambling than Hampton. These two teams both beat opponents by three touchdowns per game last season, both won their league titles, and both finished 11-1.

But the Pirates are favored to win the MEAC crown again, however, and are No. 1 according to SBN's preseason rankings. Grambling finished as runner-up to both Southern in the SWAC preseason voting and HU in the black college poll. That's got Spears talking the underdog talk with the team, something he loves to do.

SEASON IMPLICATIONS

The game doesn't count in the standings, but it certainly will in the hearts of fans looking to brag a bit about the "real" champions.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060902/SPORTS/609020344/1006

youwouldno
September 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
This is a big game for me, in that I have a 6 team parlay and this is one of three remaining wins I need. But in terms of the game itself, I think Hampton has a very good chance to win. I think their new O-coordinator is going to make it hard for Grambling to prepare because I imagine he has changed some things. Granted, he's coming from the high school level, but he's talented and Hampton has some weapons.

Catmendue2
September 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM
This is a big game for me, in that I have a 6 team parlay and this is one of three remaining wins I need. But in terms of the game itself, I think Hampton has a very good chance to win. I think their new O-coordinator is going to make it hard for Grambling to prepare because I imagine he has changed some things. Granted, he's coming from the high school level, but he's talented and Hampton has some weapons.

You better hope that Hampton Defensive coordinator out coaches Spears. Grambling defense is better than Hampton's and that will be apparent shortly after kick off. In a shootout Grambling wins in a blowout, if its close Hampton's kicker gives it the upper hand.

Let's Rumble

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Grambling has kicked off to Hampton and Hampton takes it out of the endzone pass the twenty yardline...Hampton is going to get down to business with a QB, Princeton Sheperd who enters his third year as the starting QB...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Grambling and Brandon Landers get their first possession of the year after a Hampton punt...

Landers and company get the ball at about their 20 yard line with 12:40 left in the first quarter...

First play...delay of game on the G-men who don't get the new rule apparently...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hampton defense sacks Landers...which forced a 4th and 21 as the Grambling offense stalls...

Punt out of the end zone and Hampton is going to get the ball at their own 45...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
TOUCHDOWN!

55 yard pass for Hampton as Sheperd finds McDaniel wide open with no Tigers in sight...

10:47 1Q, Hampton 7-0

blur2005
September 2nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Did anyone catch Jay Walker's sideline report where he claimed this game was between two "national champions?" What a load of crap.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Did anyone catch Jay Walker's sideline report where he claimed this game was between two "national champions?" What a load of crap.

They are "mythical" national champions, comparable to the BCS where a champion is not declared on the field nor recognized by the NCAA...xcoffeex

Thus far, Landers has not impressed as we're in the midst of his second series behind center. Grambling has had to rely on the running game, which has been more successful at moving the ball...

Another flag thrown...Grambling gets a false start penalty and Hampton gets a substitution infraction...offsetting penalties...Landers overthrows his WR Tolbert by five yards...0/3 on the game...Landers hits Clyde Edwards for a first down...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Landers fumbled the ball a few snaps ago...

Hits Tolbert for a nice gain...gets nailed again and goes to the ground after missing the WR by a few yards once more in the end zone...

On 3rd and 10, Landers finds Clyde Edwards, TOUCHDOWN GRAMBLING! 6:38 LEFT in the 1Q!

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Hampton punts and Grambling will get the ball around their own 25 yard line...

The third possesion of the day begins for Landers and the G-Men...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
MEAC Def POTY Justin Durant is stepping up big...a six yard loss by Grambling forcing 3rd and 16. A delay of game on Landers makes it 3rd and 21...Landers almost picked off and for the second time this game, Grambling punts out of the end zone...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hampton 10-7 after a field goal...14:01 left in the second quarter with Grambling getting the ball at their own 28 to start off...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Grambling has to punt the ball away again...

Hampton takes over at their own 46 yard line and on the first play, Alonzo Coleman gets a first down and breaks into Grambling territory with 13 yards on the play...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Another Hampton drive...and this time, a 39 yard field goal hits the uprights after nailing from longer earlier....

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Spears is running down the sidelines talking to anyone and everyone...

Hampton gets a pick of a Landers pass that looked somewhat questionable, 27 consecutive games with a takeaway for the Pirates...

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Western Ky just got lucky.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Grambling is able to force a change of possession after Hampton gets the penalty bug...

Sheperd goes down with an injury, but they say he'll be back, having cramps. TJ Mitchell may come in, the backup...

This has been a pretty sloppy game in regards to penalties thus far...

AppGuy04
September 2nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Hampton QB cramping, backup warming up

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
ESPN fellas just said if you take away the TD drive by Grambling, Landers and his offense are going in reverse...

ESPN folks just criticized Coach Spears for not putting Landers in a position to be successful...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Grambling blocks a Hampton FG...a bright spot for Grambling who is having a rough time on offense still...and just connects on a nice third and long pass play...

Grambling calls a timeout with 19 ticks remaining in the half...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Grambling can not make anything happen...go into the half down 10-7...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Grambling starts with the ball in the second half and begins driving the ball...

Hampton only had 10 players on the field for one play which Grambling took advantage of...

Grambling is running the ball now, no Landers passing on this drive thus far...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
What's with all the horns at the game? Is this soccer?!?

Tolbert is found for a touchdown on 3rd and 14...Grambling takes the lead.

15-10 with 9:21 left in the 3rd quarter...Grambling botches the snap and everything else, yet still scores the two-point conversion...wait, SWAC officials are discussing it and it's a penalty against Grambling...so it's officially 14-10 after the ball clanks the iron and in...

AppGuy04
September 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
TD Grambling 13-10 Grambling

TxSt02
September 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Nice grill #21... way to rep your school...

AppGuy04
September 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Penalty on XP, clipping on Grambling, retry XP from 34, bangs it in off the upright, 14-10

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
What'd Spears say at the half? Or is it the fact Hampton was banged up with some injuries to Coleman and Sheperd?

Landers hit a big TD pass, Grambling is really pumped up now as are the Grambling fans blowing those soccer horns!

XP blocked...20-10 Grambling...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
36 yard attempt by Hampton...GOOD

2:43 left in 3rd quarter, Hampton down 20-13...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hampton is really having to rely on their backups on offense...

Ben Morgan is really going to get some good pub if he can pick up the slack running the ball for Alonzo Coleman...

Talked too soon about Hampton. They turn it over to Grambling on an INT...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Grambling takes advantage of a bad hold on a return by Hampton to take a great spot to get things started on offense inside the H10...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Grambling needs to invest a scholarship in a long snapper, holder and kicker or atleast do some better recruiting for the kicking game...misses a FG due to a Hampton block after having some problems earlier...Hampton's error doesn't hurt after the strong defensive stand...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
4th and 2 from the G20...Hampton has miscommunication and Grambling gets the ball back at their own 20 yard line with the G-Men having 3:40 left...with a seven-point lead...

lassic
September 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
looked offsides

nope, timed it right

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Spears up to his usual rolling the dice with stupid coaching decisions...Landers coughed up the football...flags down...

Hampton's ball...they'll get a chance to win this one. No timeouts...2:40 left...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
TOUCHDOWN HAMPTON! A big pass on 3rd and 6 from Hampton's backup QB TJ Mitchell...as Princeton Sheperd is still out...

Spears has got to be shaking his head after making the coaching gaffe...

Hampton makes it a 20-20 on the PAT

WCU LawCat
September 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Touchdown Hampton 1:05 left!

Chi Panther
September 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Great Game!!!!

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Had to go to SWACPage to see what the Grambling faithful said in reaction to the Spears play call and the resulting Hampton taking over of the ball...

unknown1: Spears made the dumbest playcall of the year. How in the hell do u call a pass play there?
gsu4life: Man I'm so hot right now!
catdaddy: That was the dumbest call in the history of the SWAC!!!
topdog: UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Credit: http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62224&page=6

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
are we heading to OT here?

WCU LawCat
September 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Grambling gave them plenty of chances in the entire 4th quarter but Hampton could not cash in until the end.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
are we heading to OT here?

Grambling is striking down the field as quick as they can...one timeout left...

Problem is Grambling has shown some flashes of awful special teams from snapping to kicking...

Hampton almost picked it off!

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Tolbert dropped the ball on 3rd and 2!

Grambling goes for it on 4th and 2...Landers gets the first down...

Eight ticks left...Landers spikes it and seven seconds left...

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Grambling gets one second left...after Edwards finds the way out of bounds...

44 yarder for Manuel...timeout called...a 50% kicker, six for 12 last year...two for three from 40-49 yards out last year...

He kicked it to Mississippi! Wide left! OVERTIME!

WCU LawCat
September 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
missed fg with 1 sec. OT

lassic
September 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
he looked like he didn't want to kick it

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
I like Hampton's chances...based on special teams alone...

If Hampton can make a stop or few on defense, this game should be theirs...

Grambling does have the potential to make a difference though through the air, especially compared to Hampton with Mitchell in...

SuperJon
September 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
That thing looked blocked from the left side.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
TOUCHDOWN HAMPTON! Pirates up 27-20 in the first OT

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
TOUCHDOWN GRAMBLING!

Now we turn to the kicker...BLOCKED! BLOCKED!

Grambling falls to Hampton 27-26!

thirdgendin
September 2nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Wow, tough way to lose!

Mr. C
September 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Ouch!!! What a way to lose on a blocked PAT. Grambling is going to be running that kicker out of town. Considering how many Grambling fans said they were going to blow Hampton in this one, you've got to wonder what the Tiger faithful is thinking now.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Ouch!!! What a way to lose on a blocked PAT. Grambling is going to be running that kicker out of town. Considering how many Grambling fans said they were going to blow Hampton in this one, you've got to wonder what the Tiger faithful is thinking now.

And think...Hampton was without their starting QB and RB for most of the game. This was Hampton's backups inflicting damage along with Grambling coach Marcus Spears...

GSUISBACK
September 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hampton won WITHOUT their starting QB and RB good game

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
In MEAC / SWAC challenge Meac is 2-0

mikebigg
September 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Congrats Hampton... Dayum yall azzes (lol).

eaglesrthe1
September 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Exciting game to watch.

eaglesrthe1
September 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
In MEAC / SWAC challenge Meac is 2-0
The SWAC got swept last year, also. SWAC fans have to hang their hats on Southern this afternoon. Gotta say I'm pulling for the playoff conference.

R.A.
September 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
-Man, where are the Pirates pulling these fluke victories from?

-Well, we're gonna give them Hell next week. Go Bison.

Hansel
September 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Caught part of the fourth quarter, seemed Hampton was rather unimaginative in their play calling but they seemed to pull it off..

Catmendue2
September 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM
The difference was as I said days ago in the kicking game and nothing else. Both teams looked terrible and If Hampton makes the Playoffs and beats anybody, the 1-AA needs to abolished.

eaglesrthe1
September 3rd, 2006, 09:33 AM
The difference was as I said days ago in the kicking game and nothing else. Both teams looked terrible and If Hampton makes the Playoffs and beats anybody, the 1-AA needs to abolished.

Well if history is any indication...

Is Grambling really so bad that IAA needs to be abolished if Hampton does win? Does GSU suck that bad? What happens if they suck that bad and then they beat Southern?:eek:

arranger101
September 3rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Giving them the benefit of the doubt, HIU would have been much better if their starting QB and HB didn't catch a case of the cramps...both had IV's on the sideline. But yes, we are now 2-0 in this little classic.:rolleyes:

Ivytalk
September 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM

That's dead on. It wasn't that entertaining to watch, and GSU made too many mistakes late.

AppGuy04
September 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Giving them the benefit of the doubt, HIU would have been much better if their starting QB and HB didn't catch a case of the cramps...both had IV's on the sideline. But yes, we are now 2-0 in this little classic.:rolleyes:

There was alot of that this weekend, hopefully the conditioning won't be an issue from here on out

HIU 93
September 4th, 2006, 11:04 PM
-Man, where are the Pirates pulling these fluke victories from?

-Well, we're gonna give them Hell next week. Go Bison.

"Hell"? 55-10, partner. In the words of Ivan Drago- "You vill lose."

HIU 93
September 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Excuse me, but Andrew Paterini is an all-American kicker. Everyone has a bad day, and Saturday was an uncharacteristically bad day for Paterini.

September 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM
"Hell"? 55-10, partner. In the words of Ivan Drago- "You vill lose."That's smack and belongs elsewhere but points go out to the Drago reference (played by Dolph Lundgren in ROCKY IV)! xlolx

HIU 93
September 8th, 2006, 11:24 AM
That's smack and belongs elsewhere but points go out to the Drago reference (played by Dolph Lundgren in ROCKY IV)! xlolx

He started it!:D :thumbsup: