PDA

View Full Version : Duke Hopes to Dodge Richmond's Upset Bid

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
I know the Duke game against Richmond is one of those that the I-AA faithful have circled as a possible win over a I-A school. I'm not even going to list it as an upset, because I don't like to be under the impression that I-AA schools are really out in the cold as it comes to having an opprotunity against the folks in the world of I-A.
---------
Duke Hoping To Dodge I-AA Richmond's Upset Bid

On several occasions during the past few seasons, lower-division teams jumped up and knocked off Division I-A programs.

Durham, NC -- On several occasions during the past few seasons, lower-division teams jumped up and knocked off Division I-A programs.

Duke doesn't want to be added to that infamous list of upset victims when Division I-AA Richmond visits Durham on Saturday night.

"Any game, you can win or you can lose," Duke receiver Jomar Wright said. "We've just got to play hard, have our operation be great and make plays."

The Spiders just might be capable of joining Maine, New Hampshire and UC Davis, who in recent years upset Mississippi State, Rutgers and Stanford, respectively.

Richmond returns 16 starters from a team that went 9-4, won the Atlantic 10 and advanced to the I-AA quarterfinals.

"Our players have higher expectations, and part of that was how much fun they had last year," Spiders coach Dave Clawson said. "Winning is fun. Being in the playoffs is fun ... and there's a desire to get to that point again, and that's a good thing."

http://www.wfmynews2.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=70405

SoCon48
September 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
How the heck it would be an upset if Richmond wins? Duke has won a total of 9 games since the year 2000.

spdram
September 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
The Spids will be ready to play, but will it be an upset if a 1-AA team beats a team from a upper level BCS conference, would it be an upset if a team with 60+ scholies beats a team with 80+ scholies? The Spiders hope to carry the 1-AA banner high on Saturday.