PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the Southland in 2013?

BEAR
April 3rd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Who will win the Southland in 2013?

Why ask this? Because:

1. Southland has had a team in the FCS championship game the past two years.

2. Some teams are ineligible for conference championships due to transitioning or possible NCAA penalties.

3. It's the off-season and we're bored.

Keep in mind SELAs NCAA problems and how that might make them ineligible.

SLC fans please don't vote for your team just because you're a fan of them. Look at them realistically. Schedule, lost players, coaching changes etc...

If you want to comment why you made your choice, don't be afraid to.

Professor Chaos
April 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
I'll say Sam Houston. Even with their losses they still have the most talented player in the conference in Tim Flanders and their QB should be very good as well. I'd have to expect a major drop off defensively from them this year but I think their offense will be good enough on it's own to win the league.

lionsrking2
April 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
Keep in mind SELAs NCAA problems and how that might make them ineligible.

We're not going to be ineligible. We'll vacate some wins from the years in question and take some scholarship reductions but a postseason ban is unlikely. BTW I like our chances this fall ... we'll be much improved on both sides of the ball and as deep as we've ever been.

IBleedYellow
April 3rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sam Houston State or Central Ark.

Sorry SFA, probably next year.

BEAR
April 3rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
I'll give it a try:

My honest opinion: This conference is up for grabs. Remember, this is with a view of last years teams, looking at their upcoming schedule and returning players. This does NOT take into account new recruits, new coaches that might show the SLC a new offense, or any other unforseen factors. xrotatehx

Bearkats: have their toughest opponents on the road and after losing 22 seniors that included some seriously talented defenders and skill players, I don't see a repeat of last year.

Bears: Return nearly 20 starters including QB. All tough games at home this year. Schedule favors winning the conference BUT there should be a loss on the stripes. Possible tie for conference with McNeese IMO.

Cowboys: Half and half on the schedule with some road games and some home games against good teams. Lost 21 or so seniors that included some big O-line players. Still the gold standard of the conference though. Tie with UCA for conference.

Lumberjacks- After losing Attaway at QB and some O-linemen, something like 12 seniors, SFA might not be in a bad position to win the conference. BUT getting to only play McNeese at home while having to travel to the other "up" teams might cut those chances down a little. Still strong team though.

Demons- Sorry, but the Demons lost a TON on offense to graduation but looking at their 2013 roster, they have 24 seniors! I don't see them winning it this year but with that much senior leadership, its possible, just not probable because the Demons have to travel to McNeese and Sam.

Colonels...well, not so much. Even the fans could care less. Just kidding! But there are just too many quality teams ahead of them in the conference.

Cardinals- Since they are going FBS..oh wait...They've got a bunch of games at home and only lost a good balance of players from last year. This is the team I can't figure out.

Lions- Big question is "will they be eligible?" with those infractions possibly creating a 2 year suspension from winning it? No idea. Input is needed. I see the poster above said they would be eligible. Gotta rewrite this soon. LOL

BEAR
April 3rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
We're not going to be ineligible. We'll vacate some wins from the years in question and take some scholarship reductions but a postseason ban is unlikely. BTW I like our chances this fall ... we'll be much improved on both sides of the ball and as deep as we've ever been.

Please tell us about the Lions. I have zero idea of what to expect. Who's who and what are your predicitons for your team?

lionsrking2
April 3rd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Please tell us about the Lions. I have zero idea of what to expect. Who's who and what are your predicitons for your team?

Anybody who saw us this spring, including our coaching staff, will tell you we're light years ahead of where we were when the season ended in November ... We return just about intact on the offensive side of the ball, plus have added some pieces ... added some JC depth on the offensive line to go along with 4 of 5 starters returning ... we do lose Nathan Stanley at QB, but replace him with a better player in Bryan Bennett, transfer from Oregon - he was every bit as advertised this spring and has the versatility both running and passing to put us over the top ... we're deep and talented at both RB and WR and have a good group of TEs.

We return most of our defense as well, and have really beefed up the defensive front, and that's not including several JC kids who will be here in the fall .. I think we may have the best set of LBs in the league and our secondary is outstanding, even with Robert Alford graduating.

This should be our best team since joining the Southland Conference.

TheRevSFA
April 3rd, 2013, 09:15 PM
Attaway has one more year, so I wouldn't expect too much out of us

I do bet that Gus Johnson has a 1,000 yard season rushing though.

My pick is uca

McNeese75
April 3rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
I give UCA a slight edge because of the home games they have against SHSU and McNeese. Sam will be tough even though the defense will be down some. McNeese, WTF knows. Biggest challenge will be replacing 4 seniors on the offensive line. There are people in the pipeline for the O line and we have a good coach so time will tell. SELU could be a contender but they do have to come to Lake Charles so not quite as scary for us, LOL. Everyone else is quite capable of raining on anyone's parade AGS.

Sammy94
April 4th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Even though, we may once again have trouble defending the pass, our run d maybe even better this year. Our offense (the same one the SLC has had problems with) should be better and we play well on the road. I like our chances for a 3 peat as Champs or Co-Champs.

SHSU
UCA
SELA
McNeese

All of these have a shot, the rest not so much.

AmsterBison
April 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I'll keep voting for Sam Houston until somebody knocks them off.

Bisonator
April 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Went with CA. Think their schedule is more favorable and SHSU has some holes to fill defensively.

Nickels
April 4th, 2013, 10:27 AM
The only question for Sam is Pass D. Running D should be stronger. DL and LB will be improved. We kept all of our coordinators, so our O shouldn't stumble out of the gates like last year. It will be year number 4 for Fritz, so nearly all of the players are his recruits. Reasonable schedule (lots of home games). A ton of experience on the field. Too many talented RB's. The best HC & DC in the conference. I like our chances.

SAM
UCA
MCNEESE
SELA
??
??
??
Lamar or Nicholls

Good sign that most voters aren't picking Sam. That usually works out well for us.

Twentysix
April 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I'll keep voting for Sam Houston until somebody knocks them off.

UCA did that last year :p UCA wins more games than anyone this year, and if nothing else holds tiebreaker with SHSU.

Samalum'10
April 6th, 2013, 11:24 AM
This guy will keep our D in check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osxwldf6b9o

SHSU will be co-champs again with UCA

BEAR
April 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
This guy will keep our D in check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osxwldf6b9o

SHSU will be co-champs again with UCA

Nice crushing block! SLC refs will throw a flag for "mumble, mumble, mumble..15 yards from the spot of the infraction" for a player without a helmet. xlolx Nice pick-up for you guys though. Toughness is something hard to teach.

BEAR
April 8th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Hmm... Sam goes to the natty two years in a row and they aren't even favored to win their conference. Interesting.

Head to head:

Coaches: Sam coach has had recent awesome success while UCA coach is approaching 100 wins for his career and has been named 3X SLC coach of year. UCA coach wants to get where Sam coach has been........... twice.

Team: Looking at what Sam lost and what they have coming in and watching UCA practices and scrimmages along with what they have coming in... I'd call it a draw.

Its gonna be interesting for both teams come the last game of the year in Conway. Looking at both schedules, I'd have to give the Bears a slight advantage with all tough games for UCA happening at Estes in Conway.

Just wish I could get a better read on those Bears this spring. xsmhx

TheRevSFA
April 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
So I heard Tanner Brock quit the SHSU team...

Very interesting.

BEAR
April 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
So I heard Tanner Brock quit the SHSU team...

Very interesting.

Shame. They didn't even need to provide him with a helmet. xdontknowx

Sammy94
April 8th, 2013, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE]So I heard Tanner Brock quit the SHSU team...[/QUOTE

Was he ever on the team? He enrolled at Sam with the hope that he wouldn't have to sit out but he never had a jersey issued to him.
"He just found out this past week wherever he goes he has to sit out a year. He told me he was going to think about going to another Division I school. He said if I am going to have to wait a year I may as well go D-I." I think most of us knew he wouldn't play a down for Sam. But we all had hope that he might.

TheRevSFA
April 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE]So I heard Tanner Brock quit the SHSU team...[/QUOTE

Was he ever on the team? He enrolled at Sam with the hope that he wouldn't have to sit out but he never had a jersey issued to him.
"He just found out this past week wherever he goes he has to sit out a year. He told me he was going to think about going to another Division I school. He said if I am going to have to wait a year I may as well go D-I." I think most of us knew he wouldn't play a down for Sam. But we all had hope that he might.

I never knew if they actually issued him anything or not. It's a pretty sad case with him though.

BEAR
April 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Alright SLC fans...let's get a little more daring. Post your schedule and mark your wins, losses or tossups. C'mon its offseason...what else you got to do? I'll probably be wrong..but why not....

I'll start with my prediction: bold = home games

08.29.13 University of the Incarnate Word Win
09.07.13 Colorado Toss up to a loss because they are FBS
09.14.13 University of Tennessee at Martin Win
09.21.13 Missouri State University Win/Tossup Great game last time!
09.28.13 OPEN DATE
10.05.13 McNeese State University toss up at our house
10.12.13 Nebraska Kearney Win
10.19.13 Lamar University Win
10.26.13 Stephen F. Austin Win/tossup...possible first loss on stripes.
11.02.13 Northwestern State University Win
11.09.13 Southeastern Louisiana University Win
11.16.13 Nicholls State University win
11.23.13 Sam Houston State University toss up..possible second loss on stripes.

My bold homer prediction is 6-1..but with a loss to either SFA or Sam. Stripes can't go unbeaten forever.
Likely 5-2 with no playoff chance.
Worst case.....well, "likely" is the worst case for Bear fans. xlolx

TheRevSFA
April 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
SFA wins if there's a monsoon in Conway

BEAR
April 8th, 2013, 02:12 PM
SFA wins if there's a monsoon in Conway

xlolx Hey toward the end of that monsoon at your house I believe the Bears were making a decent comeback and had a few chances to go ahead toward the end of the game.

My first time there and I don't know what was wetter, the field or the fans....xbeerchugx

Personally I think they should have suspended that game for a day or two until the field drained. Field goals and extra points were pointless. xeyebrowx Ball floating around the field like that.... shame.....

BEAR
April 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM
C'mon Rev...put up your prediction.

TheRevSFA
April 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM
SFA

at Weber State - Win
at Texas Tech - Loss
vs McMurry - 82-6 win
vs Montana State - Win (barely)
vs Prairie View A&M - Win
at SELA - Win..I think last year was a fluke loss in Hammond
vs Nicholls - WIn
at UCA - Loss..no one wins on the stripes but the Bears
vs Sam Houston - Loss..SFA will go up early, Sam will take the lead, SFA will try for a late come back and lose.
vs McNeese - Win..since it's in Nacogdoches
at Lamar - Win
at NW State - Win..easily

lionsrking2
April 8th, 2013, 04:49 PM
SFA

at Weber State - Win
at Texas Tech - Loss
vs McMurry - 82-6 win
vs Montana State - Win (barely)
vs Prairie View A&M - Win
at SELA - Win..I think last year was a fluke loss in Hammond
vs Nicholls - WIn
at UCA - Loss..no one wins on the stripes but the Bears
vs Sam Houston - Loss..SFA will go up early, Sam will take the lead, SFA will try for a late come back and lose.
vs McNeese - Win..since it's in Nacogdoches
at Lamar - Win
at NW State - Win..easily

What was "fluky" about it? We moved the ball at will and should have scored a couple of more times. We'll be a lot better on both sides of the ball in 2013, and you have to come back to Hammond. I like our chances.

TheRevSFA
April 8th, 2013, 05:00 PM
What was "fluky" about it? We moved the ball at will and should have scored a couple of more times. We'll be a lot better on both sides of the ball in 2013, and you have to come back to Hammond. I like our chances.

Just to ruffle the SELA feathers some. That's all

lionsrking2
April 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Gotcha.

GeauxLions94
April 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM

SELA? You mean her ...

GeauxLions94
April 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM
OK, I'll give it the old college try ...

1. Sam Houston State - they've played for all the marbles the last two years
2. Central Arkansas - lots of veterans returning
3. Southeastern Louisiana - Lions' five SLC wins most in league play since 1978
4. McNeese State - Has to replace OL, but Cowboys always find way to reload
5. Stephen F. Austin - Pass happy Jacks make way for "the Gus Bus"
6. Northwestern State - Jay Thomas' first Demon team promises to be wide open
7. Lamar - The Magical Mystery Tour that is Lamar Football continues
8. Nicholls State - Hey, at least there's Bubba's in Thibodaux

Sammy94
April 9th, 2013, 08:49 AM
@ Texas A&M - Playing a top 5 pre-season big boy out of the gates. Hope to keep it close until half time. Kats get demolished but do gain the experience of playing against one of the best in the nation. 63-17 (loss)

Texas Southern- From one of the best in the nation to one of...... well the change in competition will be well noticed, that is if the Tigers actually show up. 52-10 (win)

Incarnate Word- See above. At least they will show up and play. 38-10 (win)

Eastern Washington - Tough test right before the SLC games start. The eagles will be looking for revenge but the humidity/heat slows them down as they can't keep up with the Kats offense. Another shoot out but the Big Sky doesn't win at Bowers. Revenge will have to wait until 2014. 48-38 (win)

Lamar - @ Bowers. Next..... 52-14 (win)

@McNeese State (road trip) - Who knows what kind of team the Cowboys will have this year but always tough to win in the swamp. I'm planning on another great tailgate experience and another Kats win. 38-31 (win)

Northwestern St.- New coach, old results. 41-17 (win)

Stephen F. Austin (Reliant) - BOTPW later in the season, same results. Jacks keep it close until the 4th Q. 42-28 (win)

Nicholls State - Its Nicholls @ Bowers. 52-13 (win)

@Southeastern Louisiana - Speaking of revenge, this game worries me if the Lions are in the hunt for the SLC. Won't be a 70 pt. beat down this time but will the talent be that much better for the Lions? 35-24 (win)

@ Central Arkansas - (road trip) I thought we may have a year off from the gimmick turf but once again we will be back on the stripes. I'll finally see it in person. Won't be as conservative this go around. I look to this being a shoot out for the SLC ring. Chance Nelson catches a last sec. TD for the win but the refs do actually call offensive pass interferance this time around and the Kats fall. 42-38 (loss)

TheRevSFA
April 9th, 2013, 09:26 AM
OK, I'll give it the old college try ...

1. Sam Houston State - they've played for all the marbles the last two years
2. Central Arkansas - lots of veterans returning
3. Southeastern Louisiana - Lions' five SLC wins most in league play since 1978
4. McNeese State - Has to replace OL, but Cowboys always find way to reload
5. Stephen F. Austin - Pass happy Jacks make way for "the Gus Bus"
6. Northwestern State - Jay Thomas' first Demon team promises to be wide open
7. Lamar - The Magical Mystery Tour that is Lamar Football continues
8. Nicholls State - Hey, at least there's Bubba's in Thibodaux

If we were smart, we'd run Gus out of the shotgun and let him get over 1,000 yards. He was very effective when he was used properly.

But alas, they don't let me coach there.

lionsrking2
April 9th, 2013, 10:39 AM
@Southeastern Louisiana - Won't be a 70 pt. beat down this time but will the talent be that much better for the Lions?

Yes.

BEAR
April 9th, 2013, 10:57 AM
@ Central Arkansas - (road trip) I thought we may have a year off from the gimmick turf but once again we will be back on the stripes. I'll finally see it in person. Won't be as conservative this go around. I look to this being a shoot out for the SLC ring. Chance Nelson catches a last sec. TD for the win but the refs do actually call offensive pass interferance this time around and the Kats fall. 42-38 (loss)

Did you guys actually win that way? If you're refering to our game last year, i've seen the replay a million times...dude, there was barely any contact...so little not only did the refs not call it but your own player didn't even protest. That was a heck of a game and will be again this year. The stripes aren't as bad as you imagine. Those Kat fans who went last year told me they were more toned down than they thought or remembered seeing on TV. The Arkansas sun will bleach any color. xnodx xlolx Lets hope that game is for all the marbles..that means we both had a great year.

By the way, I actually called this one a toss up to a loss for us. Kats are good.

Sidenote: The feds are working on the interstate between Little Rock and conway and you have NO room for error on either side of the road. Drive carefully, slowly, and watch out for workers. Knowing this state and the govt....it will take a decade to get finished.

Sammy94
April 9th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The stripes aren't as bad as you imagine. Those Kat fans who went last year told me they were more toned down than they thought or remembered seeing on TV.

Maybe we will make you feel more at home in 2014......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGx5yvmCAAE3trm.jpg:large

BEAR
April 9th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Maybe we will make you feel more at home in 2014......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGx5yvmCAAE3trm.jpg:large

xlolx OMG! That is scary!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4869875369248493&pid=1.7&w=178&h=140&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80

BEAR
April 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Where are all the McNeese fans?

Where are the predictions for the upcoming games? C'mon... nothings more fun than looking back on what we thought would happen. Who knows, someone might even get one right! xlolx

C'mon Demon fans! C'mon Colonel fans! Lamar where are you? Wake up SLC! It's almost football time!

(slowly puts down the energy drink)

RabidRabbit
April 9th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Is UIW a counter this year? Or is this their miserable 1st year transition toward D-I?

Oldschool Colonel
April 9th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I guess after back to back 1-10 seasons I shouldn't expect different. But the lack of respect my Colonels get is amazing.We are not that far removed from making the playoffs, so we know it can happen in Thib.

With finally a healthy Beaux Hebert, and 10 returning starters on offence. I think we might be better then most of you think.

Samalum'10
April 10th, 2013, 12:29 PM
@ Texas A&M - Playing a top 5 pre-season big boy out of the gates. Hope to keep it close until half time. Kats get demolished but do gain the experience of playing against one of the best in the nation. 63-17 (loss)

Texas Southern- From one of the best in the nation to one of...... well the change in competition will be well noticed, that is if the Tigers actually show up. 52-10 (win)

Incarnate Word- See above. At least they will show up and play. 38-10 (win)

Eastern Washington - Tough test right before the SLC games start. The eagles will be looking for revenge but the humidity/heat slows them down as they can't keep up with the Kats offense. Another shoot out but the Big Sky doesn't win at Bowers. Revenge will have to wait until 2014. 48-38 (win)

Lamar - @ Bowers. Next..... 52-14 (win)

@McNeese State (road trip) - Who knows what kind of team the Cowboys will have this year but always tough to win in the swamp. I'm planning on another great tailgate experience and another Kats win. 38-31 (win)

Northwestern St.- New coach, old results. 41-17 (win)

Stephen F. Austin (Reliant) - BOTPW later in the season, same results. Jacks keep it close until the 4th Q. 42-28 (win)

Nicholls State - Its Nicholls @ Bowers. 52-13 (win)

@Southeastern Louisiana - Speaking of revenge, this game worries me if the Lions are in the hunt for the SLC. Won't be a 70 pt. beat down this time but will the talent be that much better for the Lions? 35-24 (win)

I agree with the win/loss, but we drop a game to EWU and beat UCA with a last second toss to Chance Nelson in the endzone.

Samalum'10
April 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Sure would like to add Portland St as the 12th game.

TheRevSFA
April 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM
It will be interesting for Sam I think...they lost a lot of great defensive players, but did have quite a bit of depth, so it will be interesting to see if there's a drop off in how well the defense is..whether drastic or slight.

Nickels
April 10th, 2013, 01:55 PM
It will be interesting for Sam I think...they lost a lot of great defensive players, but did have quite a bit of depth, so it will be interesting to see if there's a drop off in how well the defense is..whether drastic or slight.
Our secondary and LB situation is definitely worrisome. We already knew we would have a weaker secondary. Apparently Brock quit the team (who the hell knows? the only evidence he was even here was a picture of him in the paper with the team). I haven't heard anything about Felio coming back (LB with neck injury). We still have some nice depth at LB but I'm going to retract my statement about the LB's being stronger than last year.

On the other hand, the O will be putting up some points for sure. Too much depth and talent on that side of the ball.

I bet EWU is going to move the ball on us but I don't think they have the defense to beat us. I would be surprised if that game stays under 80 points.
I'm sure the FAggies will have Manziel running around throwing deep balls every play. I'm not looking forward to that one. They will probably put 60-80 points on us.

Spring game is in 8 days. We will know a little more about the Kats then.

BEAR
April 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM
It looks like the one thing we're all sure of is that we are not sure of much. xlolx

SFALMBAlum08
April 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Brady Attaway + JC Harper = don't worry about SFA

LuckyKat
April 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM
KATS!

BEAR
April 16th, 2013, 06:04 PM
New helmet design is in. Adidas is now the new sponsor of UCA Athletics. Nike is apparently out. xsmugx

Helmet color appears to be a matted grey instead of a polished silver.

New Helmet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH_YTRCCMAAD7Ul.jpg

Old Helmet

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4101/4954178611_f3d8a0841e_z.jpg

TheRevSFA
April 16th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Better looking than your turf

Boom!

Hood
April 18th, 2013, 07:15 PM
It's a toss up between UCA and SHSU. I'll go with UCA on a whim, nothing more.

As far as my beloved alma mater, *shrug* I see nothing to be optimistic over. I'll be there, begrudgingly.

Oldschool Colonel
April 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
It's a toss up between UCA and SHSU. I'll go with UCA on a whim, nothing more.

As far as my beloved alma mater, *shrug* I see nothing to be optimistic over. I'll be there, begrudgingly.

Why bother? If you don't see anything to be optimistic over, please stay home! Or you can go to Baton Rouge like all the rest of Our alumni!

BEAR
April 22nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Alright SLC brethren....any news on transfers that might help your team?

Saw where Sam lost their D.C. ...ouch.

A few SEC players have announced they are transferring to other schools. Pretty good ones at that. Will they go to YOUR school?

C'mon SLC.... let's get some news flowing in the off-season.

Nickels
April 22nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Alright SLC brethren....any news on transfers that might help your team?

Saw where Sam lost their D.C. ...ouch.

A few SEC players have announced they are transferring to other schools. Pretty good ones at that. Will they go to YOUR school?

C'mon SLC.... let's get some news flowing in the off-season.
Yeah that hurts. I would have been happier if La Tech stole him. At least that would have given the Kats a little more time to find a replacement. And having your coach stolen by UTEP is kind of embarrassing. I guess any FBS>FCS. I'm sure the raise was substantial too.

I love the playoff system that the FCS offers but I hate how most programs can't afford to keep the greatest coaches at this level. The better your team is, the faster you lose your coaches. There aren't many Jerry Moores out there.

According to the rumor mill, this may be the last or 2nd to last season for the Kats in the SLC & FCS. I usually don't pay attention to moving up rumors but some of the posters on KF that are reporting this have been reliable with info in the past. Most Kats don't want to move up (yet), however most would like to leave the SLC due to its weakening. There isn't a practical FCS alternative so maybe it's time.
http://katfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=8534.0

Nickels
April 22nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
dbl

TheRevSFA
April 22nd, 2013, 09:14 PM
I honestly don't think Sam can afford to move, but they'll say yes even if it bankrupts the department

Bowers and the JC are in dire need of improvement

Twentysix
April 22nd, 2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah that hurts. I would have been happier if La Tech stole him. At least that would have given the Kats a little more time to find a replacement. And having your coach stolen by UTEP is kind of embarrassing. I guess any FBS>FCS. I'm sure the raise was substantial too.

I love the playoff system that the FCS offers but I hate how most programs can't afford to keep the greatest coaches at this level. The better your team is, the faster you lose your coaches. There aren't many Jerry Moores out there.

According to the rumor mill, this may be the last or 2nd to last season for the Kats in the SLC & FCS. I usually don't pay attention to moving up rumors but some of the posters on KF that are reporting this have been reliable with info in the past. Most Kats don't want to move up (yet), however most would like to leave the SLC due to its weakening. There isn't a practical FCS alternative so maybe it's time.
http://katfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=8534.0

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/922503_10151621450529532_1407647866_o.jpg

;) We have also gone through assistants though, which is what happened to you guys.

Nickels
April 22nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
I honestly don't think Sam can afford to move, but they'll say yes even if it bankrupts the department

Bowers and the JC are in dire need of improvement
I agree, our facilities are no where near FBS ready. IMO before we improve the facilities, we need to fill the seats. Seems kind of silly to push for JC upgrades when we can't fill it to 20% capacity. We aren't ready and wont be for at least a few years. If/when Fritz departs we could be right back to where we were before he arrived.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/922503_10151621450529532_1407647866_o.jpg

;) We have also gone through assistants though, which is what happened to you guys.
If we could keep Fritz for 10+ years like Bohl, I would be ecstatic. I have a feeling once his children graduate (I believe his daughter is the youngest), he's gone.

When are the Bison going to make the FBS move? I feel like you guys are a heavyweights fighting in the middleweight class. It's not fair. Go pick on teams with your own support level.

BEAR
May 1st, 2013, 10:34 AM
Any new SLC news that gives us something to look forward to this fall SLC fans?

C'mon...i'm on a football i.v. drip.... xlolx

BEAR
May 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Visiting the SAM messageboard, for the O-line I noticed that the Kats have lost all but:

1 part time starter
1 full time starter

xeyebrowx

What's going on Kats? xconfusedx

Making a repeat a little tough for those RBs arent' you? Got talent coming in to help them? Your Oline should be together a while come 4 years from now. xlolx

Nickels
May 4th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Visiting the SAM messageboard, for the O-line I noticed that the Kats have lost all but:

1 part time starter
1 full time starter

xeyebrowx

What's going on Kats? xconfusedx

Making a repeat a little tough for those RBs arent' you? Got talent coming in to help them? Your Oline should be together a while come 4 years from now. xlolx
We still have Donald Jackson and Boyles; many questions marks though. We have recruited some nice lineman over the past 2 years, someone will step up. The A&M game could get ugly. Hopefully they figure it out by conference time. IMO McNeese will be the first big test for them. EWU game will probably be tough but its not because of their ****ty defense.

SFA 93
May 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
SFA has just as much chance as the other teams to win it all if the Jacks could just cut down on those damn turnovers (43).

Our defense is going to be real good but again if the Jacks keep giving the ball away like they did last season we can expect another 5-6 or 6-5 season.

Stephen F. Austin State University (2013 Football Team)

2012 Record:5-6; Home:5-0; Away:0-5; Neutral:0-1; Conference:4-3; Non-Conference:1-3

(13-1-0) at Homer Bryce Stadium since 2010

W: Southwestern Oklahoma 49-14 (+35)
L: @SMU 0-52 (-52)
L: @#3 Montana State 35-43 (-8)
L: @ Texas State 37-41 (-4)
W: #14 Central Arkansas 42-37 (+5)
L: #9 Sam Houston State 43-51 (-8)
W: Nicholls State 44-10 (+34)
L: @ McNeese State 24-35 (-11)
W: Lamar 40-26 (+14)
L: @Southeastern Louisiana 27-42 (-15)
W: Northwestern State 34-17 (+17)

REDZONE
49-61 (.803) from inside the red zone on the season.

121 teams ranked in Division I (FCS)

Passing Offense: SLC – #1; National – #1
Total Offense: SLC – #1; National – #2
Sacks Allowed: SLC – #2; National – #9
Scoring Offense: SLC – #3; National – #17

Rushing Defense: SLC – #3; National – #17
Total Defense: SLC – #2; National – #36
Tackles for Loss: SLC – #2; National – #12
Sacks: SLC – #2; National – #24

OFFENSE (Returning Starters: 8)

QB: #8 Brady Attaway 6-1; 215 (Sr.) CMP:334;ATT:570;CMP:59%;YDS:3,671;TD:29;INT:21
(22 Starts) #6 Total Offense in the Nation; #12 in scoring; 3rd Team All SLC

Bench –
QB: #10 Joe Minden 6-3; 200 (So.) CMP:61;ATT:108;CMP:57%;YDS:569;TD:2;INT:5
QB: #18 Hunter Taylor 6-1; 180 (Fr.)
QB: #5 Colt Plaster 6-0; 175 (Jr.)

2013 Recruits –
QB: Dru Smith 6-1; 195 (Fr.)
QB: Colton Bretton 6-4; 190 (Fr.)

RB: #6 Gus Johnson 5-10; 215 (Jr.) ATT:154;YDS:969;YPC:6.3;TD:14;REC:14;YDS:86;TD:1
(8 Starts) #33 Rusher in the Nation; 1st team All-SLC

Bench –
RB: #12 Fred Ford 6-0; 195 (So.) ATT:65;YDS:356;YPC:5.5;TD:5;REC:7;YDS:15;TD:0
RB: #22 Keith Lawson 5-9; 190 (Sr.) ATT:19;YDS:86;YPC:4.5;TD:0;REC:4;YDS:17;TD:0
RB: #25 Jamarcus Walker 5-8; 170 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
None

WR: #81 Aaron Thomas 5-10; 180 (So.) REC:26;YDS:254;AVG:10.0;TD:3
(2 Starts)
WR: #9 D.J. Ward 5-11; 180 (Jr.) REC:54;YDS:705;AVG:13.1;TD:4
(5 Starts) 2nd Team All SLC; CFPA Freshman Performer of the Year Award (1 of 6 on the watch list)
WR: #2 Mike Brooks 5-9; 175 (Jr.) REC:51;YDS:492;AVG:10.0;TD:2
(13 Starts)
WR: #4 Marquis Mosely 6-4; 200 (Jr.) REC:18;YDS:146;AVG:8.1;TD:0
(15 Starts)

Bench –
WR: #88 De’Vante Lacy (So.) REC:25;YDS:262;AVG:10.5;TD:2
(1 Start)
WR: #83 Braxton Bearden 5-9; 190 (Jr.)
WR: #1 Tyler Boyd 5-10; 175 (Jr.) REC:5;YDS:80;AVG:16.2;TD:0
WR: #85 Calib Hadnot 5-8; 160 (Jr.) REC:7;YDS:85;AVG:12.1;TD:2
WR: #86 Steven Cunigan 6-3; 190 (Jr.)

2013 Recruits –
WR: Aaron Doddy 6-4; 190 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
WR: De’Quann Ruffin 6-2; 190 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
WR: Justice Liggins 6-1; 195 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
WR: Brian Walker 5-10; 170 (Fr.)
WR: Robert Sylvester 6-0; 176 (Fr.)
WR: Joshawa West 5-10; 170 (Fr.)
WR: Eugene Wright 5-9; 165 (Fr.)

LT: #62 Ryne Chambers 6-7; 290 (Sr.)
(13 Starts)
LG: #65 Greg Hall 6-3; 325 (Sr.)
(16 Starts)
C: #69 Garrick Smitherman 6-4; 320 (Sr.)
(7 Games Played)
RG: #76 Byron Williams 6-3; 300 (So.)
(9 Starts)
RT: #75 Terran Vaughn 6-3; 305 (So.)
(7 Starts)

Bench –
OL: #74 Andrew Ratliff 6-5; 320 (Sr.)
(15 Starts)
OL: #70 Sam Schomp 6-4; 305 (So.)
(1 Start)
OL: #72 Travis Wiggins 6-3; 300 (Jr.)
OL: #64 Jeremy Neff 6-4; 323 (Jr.)
OL: #77 David Dane 6-7; 310 (Jr.)
OL: #66 Nick Edwards 6-3; 280 (So.)

2013 Recruits –
OL: Justin Reasons 6-3; 280 (Fr.)
OL: Anthony Pullins 6-1; 290 (Fr.)
OL: Andy McNew 6-4; 285 (Fr.)
OL: Jalend Washom 6-4; 280 (Fr.)
K: #42 Jordan Wiggs 5-9; 195 (Jr.) FGS:30-41;LNG:42;PCT:73.2%
#10 in the Nation in field goals; 2nd Team All SLC

Bench –
K/P: #45 Nick Bruno 5-10; 185 (So.)
K: #28 Mason Juhl 5-9; 190 (So.)

2013 Recruit –
K: Brett Rattan 6-1; 215 (Fr.)

DEFENSE (Returning Starters: 5)

DE: #51 Malcolm Mattox 6-1; 255 (Sr.) TKL:27;TFL:2.5;SCK:0.5;PBU:2;QBH:1;FF:1
(20 Starts)
DE: #48 Darren Robinson 5-11; 247 (Jr.) TKL:31;TFL:11.5;SCK:7.5;PBU:2;QBH:2;FR:2;FF:2
(10 Starts) #24 in the Nation in Sacks; 1st team All SLC

Bench –
DE: #98 Ismiah Miles 6-2; 230 (Jr.) TKL:26; TFL:7.0;SCK:5.0;QBH:1;FF:1;BLK:1
(3 Starts) 2nd Team All SLC
DE: #54 Danan Henderson 6-3; 235 (So.) TKL:4;SCK:1.0
DE: #97 Kedrick Harrison 6-2; 225 (So.) PBU:1
DE: #96 Artrez Price 6-3; 225 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
DE: Mitchell Zimmerle 6-3; 210 (Fr.)

DT: #44 Shayvion Hatten 6-4; 300 (So.) Transfer from Texas A&M **** (Rivals)
DT: # Donald Bryant 6-2; 290 (So.) Transfer from Baylor *** (Rivals)

Bench –
DT: #92 Lance Skyler 6-3; 260 (Jr.) TKL:36;TFL:1.5;SCK:1.0;FF:1;FR:1;QBH:1
(2 Starts)
DT: #91 Trevor Murphy 6-3; 280 (Jr.) TKL:19;TFL:2.5;SCK:0.5;QBH:1
(2 Starts)
DT: #90 Corey Clark 6-2; 275 (So.) TKL:2
DT: #19 Clay Hardee 6-4; 260 (Jr.) TKL:2;FR:1
DT: #94 Joseph Ashante 5-9; 260 (So.) TKL:7;SCK:0.5

2013 Recruits –
DT: Juvon Gales 6-3; 280 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
DT: Rodney Timmons 6-0; 300 (Fr.)
DT: Shane Roberson 6-2; 285 (Fr.)

LB: #50 Rodney Young 6-2; 220 (Jr.) TKL:7;TFL:1.0
LB: #13 Ortavious Hypolite 6-0; 225 (Sr.) TKL:14;TFL:1.0
LB: #40 Collin Garrett 6-2; 225 (So.) TKL:96;TFL:10.0;SCK:0.5;FF:1;INT:1;PBU:3
(10 Starts) 3rd Team All SLC

Bench –
LB: #7 Justin Isadore 6-0; 215 (Sr.) TKL:4;FR:1
LB: #41 Jordan Burton 6-3; 210 (So.) TKL:5;FF:1
LB: #43 Nick Bryant 5-10; 215 (Jr.) TKL:3
LB:#46 Jabralon Allen 6-1; 215 (So.)
LB:#52 Trevor Holmes 6-1; 215 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
LB: Vedial Johnson 6-2; 225 (Fr.) *** (Rivals)
LB: Hunter Harwell 6-2; 205 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
LB: Trey McGahan 6-2; 195 (Fr.)
LB: Roman Mitchell 5-11; 200 (Fr.)

CB: #33 Trey Vallier 6-0; 190 (Jr.) TKL:24;PBU:7;FF:1
(10 Starts)
CB: #23 Keavon Madison 5-9; 185 (Jr.) TKL:5;TFL:0.5;PBU:1
(1 Start)

Bench –
CB: #26 Demundre Freeman 5-11; 175 (So.) TKL:14;FF:1.0
CB: #87 Lamarcus Brown 5-10; 170 (Fr.)
CB: #14 Patrick Martin 5-10; 170 (So.)
CB: #29 Destin Mosley 5-9; 185 (So.) TKL:3;TFL:1.0
CB: #36 Blake Ferrell 5-11; 195 (So.) TKL:1;FF:1
CB: #27 Anthony Kincade 5-11; 160 (Fr.)
CB: #30 J.C. Franklin 5-11; 160 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
CB: Patrick Brown 5-11; 170 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)

S: #32 Caleb Nelson 5-11; 195 (Sr.) TKL:66;TFL:3.0;INT:2;PBU:5;FF:2
(28 Starts)
S: #38 Jordan Aubrey 5-10; 193 (Sr.) TKL:62;TFL:0.5;INT:1;PBU:3;FF:1
(15 Starts)

Bench –
S: #15 Marvin Gray 6-1; 190 (Jr.) TKL:9;TFL:0.5;PBU:3;FR:1
(1 Start)
S: #21 Chris Bailey 6-2; 200 (Jr.)
S: #56 Jamal Allen 6-1; 200 (So.)
S: #39 Avery Henderson 5-11; 190 (Fr.)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/8881503.jpeg

SFA 93
May 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
SFA has just as much chance as the other teams to win it all if the Jacks could just cut down on those damn turnovers (43).

Our defense is going to be real good but again if the Jacks keep giving the ball away like they did last season we can expect another 5-6 or 6-5 season.

Stephen F. Austin State University (2013 Football Team)

2012 Record:5-6; Home:5-0; Away:0-5; Neutral:0-1; Conference:4-3; Non-Conference:1-3

(13-1-0) at Homer Bryce Stadium since 2010

W: Southwestern Oklahoma 49-14 (+35)
L: @SMU 0-52 (-52)
L: @#3 Montana State 35-43 (-8)
L: @ Texas State 37-41 (-4)
W: #14 Central Arkansas 42-37 (+5)
L: #9 Sam Houston State 43-51 (-8)
W: Nicholls State 44-10 (+34)
L: @ McNeese State 24-35 (-11)
W: Lamar 40-26 (+14)
L: @Southeastern Louisiana 27-42 (-15)
W: Northwestern State 34-17 (+17)

REDZONE
49-61 (.803) from inside the red zone on the season.

121 teams ranked in Division I (FCS)

Passing Offense: SLC – #1; National – #1
Total Offense: SLC – #1; National – #2
Sacks Allowed: SLC – #2; National – #9
Scoring Offense: SLC – #3; National – #17

Rushing Defense: SLC – #3; National – #17
Total Defense: SLC – #2; National – #36
Tackles for Loss: SLC – #2; National – #12
Sacks: SLC – #2; National – #24

OFFENSE (Returning Starters: 8)

QB: #8 Brady Attaway 6-1; 215 (Sr.) CMP:334;ATT:570;CMP:59%;YDS:3,671;TD:29;INT:21
(22 Starts) #6 Total Offense in the Nation; #12 in scoring; 3rd Team All SLC

Bench –
QB: #10 Joe Minden 6-3; 200 (So.) CMP:61;ATT:108;CMP:57%;YDS:569;TD:2;INT:5
QB: #18 Hunter Taylor 6-1; 180 (Fr.)
QB: #5 Colt Plaster 6-0; 175 (Jr.)

2013 Recruits –
QB: Dru Smith 6-1; 195 (Fr.)
QB: Colton Bretton 6-4; 190 (Fr.)

RB: #6 Gus Johnson 5-10; 215 (Jr.) ATT:154;YDS:969;YPC:6.3;TD:14;REC:14;YDS:86;TD:1
(8 Starts) #33 Rusher in the Nation; 1st team All-SLC

Bench –
RB: #12 Fred Ford 6-0; 195 (So.) ATT:65;YDS:356;YPC:5.5;TD:5;REC:7;YDS:15;TD:0
RB: #22 Keith Lawson 5-9; 190 (Sr.) ATT:19;YDS:86;YPC:4.5;TD:0;REC:4;YDS:17;TD:0
RB: #25 Jamarcus Walker 5-8; 170 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
None

WR: #81 Aaron Thomas 5-10; 180 (So.) REC:26;YDS:254;AVG:10.0;TD:3
(2 Starts)
WR: #9 D.J. Ward 5-11; 180 (Jr.) REC:54;YDS:705;AVG:13.1;TD:4
(5 Starts) 2nd Team All SLC; Freshman College Performer of the Year Award (1 of 6 on watch list)
WR: #2 Mike Brooks 5-9; 175 (Jr.) REC:51;YDS:492;AVG:10.0;TD:2
(13 Starts)
WR: #4 Marquis Mosely 6-4; 200 (Jr.) REC:18;YDS:146;AVG:8.1;TD:0
(15 Starts)

Bench –
WR: #88 De’Vante Lacy (So.) REC:25;YDS:262;AVG:10.5;TD:2
(1 Start)
WR: #83 Braxton Bearden 5-9; 190 (Jr.)
WR: #1 Tyler Boyd 5-10; 175 (Jr.) REC:5;YDS:80;AVG:16.2;TD:0
WR: #85 Calib Hadnot 5-8; 160 (Jr.) REC:7;YDS:85;AVG:12.1;TD:2
WR: #86 Steven Cunigan 6-3; 190 (Jr.)

2013 Recruits –
WR: Aaron Doddy 6-4; 190 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
WR: De’Quann Ruffin 6-2; 190 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
WR: Justice Liggins 6-1; 195 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
WR: Brian Walker 5-10; 170 (Fr.)
WR: Robert Sylvester 6-0; 176 (Fr.)
WR: Joshawa West 5-10; 170 (Fr.)
WR: Eugene Wright 5-9; 165 (Fr.)

LT: #62 Ryne Chambers 6-7; 290 (Sr.)
(13 Starts)
LG: #65 Greg Hall 6-3; 325 (Sr.)
(16 Starts)
C: #69 Garrick Smitherman 6-4; 320 (Sr.)
(7 Games Played)
RG: #76 Byron Williams 6-3; 300 (So.)
(9 Starts)
RT: #75 Terran Vaughn 6-3; 305 (So.)
(7 Starts)

Bench –
OL: #74 Andrew Ratliff 6-5; 320 (Sr.)
(15 Starts)
OL: #70 Sam Schomp 6-4; 305 (So.)
(1 Start)
OL: #72 Travis Wiggins 6-3; 300 (Jr.)
OL: #64 Jeremy Neff 6-4; 323 (Jr.)
OL: #77 David Dane 6-7; 310 (Jr.)
OL: #66 Nick Edwards 6-3; 280 (So.)

2013 Recruits –
OL: Justin Reasons 6-3; 280 (Fr.)
OL: Anthony Pullins 6-1; 290 (Fr.)
OL: Andy McNew 6-4; 285 (Fr.)
OL: Jalend Washom 6-4; 280 (Fr.)
K: #42 Jordan Wiggs 5-9; 195 (Jr.) FGS:30-41;LNG:42;PCT:73.2%
#10 in the Nation in field goals; 2nd Team All SLC

Bench –
K/P: #45 Nick Bruno 5-10; 185 (So.)
K: #28 Mason Juhl 5-9; 190 (So.)

2013 Recruit –
K: Brett Rattan 6-1; 215 (Fr.)

DEFENSE (Returning Starters: 5)

DE: #51 Malcolm Mattox 6-1; 255 (Sr.) TKL:27;TFL:2.5;SCK:0.5;PBU:2;QBH:1;FF:1
(20 Starts)
DE: #48 Darren Robinson 5-11; 247 (Jr.) TKL:31;TFL:11.5;SCK:7.5;PBU:2;QBH:2;FR:2;FF:2
(10 Starts) #24 in the Nation in Sacks; 1st team All SLC

Bench –
DE: #98 Ismiah Miles 6-2; 230 (Jr.) TKL:26; TFL:7.0;SCK:5.0;QBH:1;FF:1;BLK:1
(3 Starts) 2nd Team All SLC
DE: #54 Danan Henderson 6-3; 235 (So.) TKL:4;SCK:1.0
DE: #97 Kedrick Harrison 6-2; 225 (So.) PBU:1
DE: #96 Artrez Price 6-3; 225 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
DE: Mitchell Zimmerle 6-3; 210 (Fr.)

DT: #44 Shayvion Hatten 6-4; 300 (So.) Transfer from Texas A&M **** (Rivals)
DT: # Donald Bryant 6-2; 290 (So.) Transfer from Baylor *** (Rivals)

Bench –
DT: #92 Lance Skyler 6-3; 260 (Jr.) TKL:36;TFL:1.5;SCK:1.0;FF:1;FR:1;QBH:1
(2 Starts)
DT: #91 Trevor Murphy 6-3; 280 (Jr.) TKL:19;TFL:2.5;SCK:0.5;QBH:1
(2 Starts)
DT: #90 Corey Clark 6-2; 275 (So.) TKL:2
DT: #19 Clay Hardee 6-4; 260 (Jr.) TKL:2;FR:1
DT: #94 Joseph Ashante 5-9; 260 (So.) TKL:7;SCK:0.5

2013 Recruits –
DT: Juvon Gales 6-3; 280 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
DT: Rodney Timmons 6-0; 300 (Fr.)
DT: Shane Roberson 6-2; 285 (Fr.)

LB: #50 Rodney Young 6-2; 220 (Jr.) TKL:7;TFL:1.0
LB: #13 Ortavious Hypolite 6-0; 225 (Sr.) TKL:14;TFL:1.0
LB: #40 Collin Garrett 6-2; 225 (So.) TKL:96;TFL:10.0;SCK:0.5;FF:1;INT:1;PBU:3
(10 Starts) 3rd Team All SLC

Bench –
LB: #7 Justin Isadore 6-0; 215 (Sr.) TKL:4;FR:1
LB: #41 Jordan Burton 6-3; 210 (So.) TKL:5;FF:1
LB: #43 Nick Bryant 5-10; 215 (Jr.) TKL:3
LB:#46 Jabralon Allen 6-1; 215 (So.)
LB:#52 Trevor Holmes 6-1; 215 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
LB: Vedial Johnson 6-2; 225 (Fr.) *** (Rivals)
LB: Hunter Harwell 6-2; 205 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)
LB: Trey McGahan 6-2; 195 (Fr.)
LB: Roman Mitchell 5-11; 200 (Fr.)

CB: #33 Trey Vallier 6-0; 190 (Jr.) TKL:24;PBU:7;FF:1
(10 Starts)
CB: #23 Keavon Madison 5-9; 185 (Jr.) TKL:5;TFL:0.5;PBU:1
(1 Start)

Bench –
CB: #26 Demundre Freeman 5-11; 175 (So.) TKL:14;FF:1.0
CB: #87 Lamarcus Brown 5-10; 170 (Fr.)
CB: #14 Patrick Martin 5-10; 170 (So.)
CB: #29 Destin Mosley 5-9; 185 (So.) TKL:3;TFL:1.0
CB: #36 Blake Ferrell 5-11; 195 (So.) TKL:1;FF:1
CB: #27 Anthony Kincade 5-11; 160 (Fr.)
CB: #30 J.C. Franklin 5-11; 160 (Fr.)

2013 Recruits –
CB: Patrick Brown 5-11; 170 (Fr.) ** (Rivals)

S: #32 Caleb Nelson 5-11; 195 (Sr.) TKL:66;TFL:3.0;INT:2;PBU:5;FF:2
(28 Starts)
S: #38 Jordan Aubrey 5-10; 193 (Sr.) TKL:62;TFL:0.5;INT:1;PBU:3;FF:1
(15 Starts)

Bench –
S: #15 Marvin Gray 6-1; 190 (Jr.) TKL:9;TFL:0.5;PBU:3;FR:1
(1 Start)
S: #21 Chris Bailey 6-2; 200 (Jr.)
S: #56 Jamal Allen 6-1; 200 (So.)
S: #39 Avery Henderson 5-11; 190 (Fr.)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/8881503.jpeg

Nickels
May 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
You are always going to have turnovers when your throwing the ball 80 times a game, it doesn't matter who your QB is. Yes they may score some points and beat some good teams but Harper wont get them over the hump. This guy has beef with balanced offenses.

BEAR
May 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I think with that many Oline losses, and those defensive players gone that Sam fans are going to be surprised at their record.

Sammy94
May 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I think with that many Oline losses, and those defensive players gone that Sam fans are going to be surprised at their record.

With many Fritz recruited players finally taking the field, I think the SLC is going to be surprised at their record.

BEAR
May 7th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Are they comm. college players transferring in? If they're freshman do you really expect they will make that big of an impact? I'm sure some will, but only 2 Oline guys return... I have the philosophy that a teams passing and running success depends on that Oline.. I can't imagine losing those NFL bound defensive players AND those Oline losses will make you pick up where you left off. The SLC is winnable by anyone this year...anyone. Even though I favor my Bears, SFA or McNeese have just as much chance...even SELA is up with them...but those losses by your team...surprise me again Kats...

Sammy94
May 7th, 2013, 11:54 AM
If they're freshman do you really expect they will make that big of an impact?

No, I expect the best available will do the job on the o-line. Is it a concern? yes because of the unknown but I trust Fritz and what he is doing. The players I think will be a big impact are the skill players we return.

Nickels
May 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Are they comm. college players transferring in? If they're freshman do you really expect they will make that big of an impact? I'm sure some will, but only 2 Oline guys return... I have the philosophy that a teams passing and running success depends on that Oline.. I can't imagine losing those NFL bound defensive players AND those Oline losses will make you pick up where you left off. The SLC is winnable by anyone this year...anyone. Even though I favor my Bears, SFA or McNeese have just as much chance...even SELA is up with them...but those losses by your team...surprise me again Kats...
I think what he is saying is that, Fritz has been here a few years (this will be year #4) and we are just now getting to a point where the entire team are his recruits, which are better than what he inherited 2010. It will be a tough year, no doubt; but we wont be losing as many games as the rest of SLC hopes.

The offensive skill players will be back along with some that were injured last season (like T. Williams). Our backfield is insanely stacked. We have 2 proven OL coming back, basically the entire DL, some LB's with experience and our starting corner from last year. Our ballsy back-up Qb moved to safety and looked great in the spring game. The other secondary players got experience last year and made some great plays along the way. We recruited a great nationally ranked K/P. We also have plenty of talented players who have been stuck behind great players for the past couple of years. Tomorrow we're supposedly going to introduce our new DC (who looks to be a great hire).

The rest of SLC should worry about improving instead of hoping the Kats fall off. It wont happen with Fritz here.

We were picked to finish near the bottom of the conference in 2011 with TW recruits. We went 14-0 before running into the Bison.
Last year after losing to the Bears, few picked Sam to even make the playoff; let alone win 2 straight road playoff games (in the cold) to make it the Natty.
Haven't you guys learned? It's never a good idea to pick against the Fritz-era Kats*

*unless they're playing NDSU

BEAR
May 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
The rest of SLC should worry about improving instead of hoping the Kats fall off. It wont happen with Fritz here.

I don't think ALL of the SLC has to worry about improving. xcoffeex xlolx

As for Fritz...he's accomplished so much since taking the reins of the kats. How long do you think he will be there with his success? How much of Fritz success can be attributed to your D.C. that left?

Conque will be at UCA until he retires...which may not be too long in the future. He's already spoken about his 20+ years in the coaching game.

By the way, your A.D. is the one you need to yell at about your schedule.... is he TRYING to make your team do the nearly impossible to make it? I just don't get it.

Nickels
May 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I don't think ALL of the SLC has to worry about improving. xcoffeex xlolx

As for Fritz...he's accomplished so much since taking the reins of the kats. How long do you think he will be there with his success? How much of Fritz success can be attributed to your D.C. that left?

Conque will be at UCA until he retires...which may not be too long in the future. He's already spoken about his 20+ years in the coaching game.

By the way, your A.D. is the one you need to yell at about your schedule.... is he TRYING to make your team do the nearly impossible to make it? I just don't get it.Stoker was a great coach but the scheme was Fritzs. He has ran it since his Blinn days. Our new DC has a better resume than Stoker (that is subjective) but only time will tell. TBH, I give Fritz one or two more years here. As soon as his kids graduate, he's gone.

and you're preaching to the choir concerning the AD. The guy is a moron. Don't even get me started on that worthless old hack. Half of our fan base is convinced our success is due to his keen decision making.xsmhx I'll bet what little money I have, he hasn't even started on the OOC schedule for next year yet. Then in an year from now, when the schedule is complete (and complete ****), you will hear "no on wanted to play us, they are scared. it's not the ADs fault no one will play us". SMFH

Hood
May 12th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Why bother? If you don't see anything to be optimistic over, please stay home! Or you can go to Baton Rouge like all the rest of Our alumni!

So stay home and not put money towards the university? That seems counter productive. I have low expectations and I might be one step away from being Randy Quaid in Major League 2 but I'm not going to sell my soul to the evil empire in BR either. Nicholls is my school and I'm going to support them. Doesn't make me any less crabby or bitter about the direction of the place.

As far as the rest of our alumni, they have themselves to blame. I pay my annual dues to the school. I've made every football game since graduation in 2003, save for 3. 2 were due to medical situation and 1 was due to an auto accident on my way to the game making me incapable of attending.

I don't get this opinion of sports fans that says you don't support the team unless you have unrealistic expectations. I fully expect a sub .500 record but would be delighted to be wrong. I'll be in the stadium one way or the other.

BEAR
May 13th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Just saw where UCA "might" be getting a pretty good transfer QB. No idea who it could be though. I don't think Wynrick Smothers, our current QB, will have any competition after throwing for over 3100 yards and 31 TDs last year and running for 300+ and 3 TDs..... but hopefully whoever it is can back him up and if the transfer has any years left of eligibility he might get a shot to start next year. I have ZERO confidence in our backups. I'll admit that's the one position that I'm glad the SEC has an abundance of and that want to transfer to UCA.

InsideUCA.com‏@InsideUCA11 May
There is a possibility that UCA could pick up a QB transfer. Still very early, but a family member has reached outto UCA to gauge interest.

Sammy94
May 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM
he hasn't even started on the OOC schedule for next year yet.

I'm hearing there is a good reason why he may not have.

Nickels
May 16th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm hearing there is a good reason why he may not have.
I wonder if it's the same reason he had the last year.

Nickels
May 16th, 2013, 01:43 PM
DCTF's Greg Tepper explains why Sam Houston State could be Texas' best hope for a national title.
http://www.texasfootball.com/college-news/view/180383

Coming off of an historic season, the excitement surrounding Texas A&M is monumental. Dynamic quarterback Johnny Manziel – the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy – returns for his sophomore year along with many other key pieces, and the Aggies appear to have a relatively favorable schedule, including catching defending national champion Alabama at home.

Yes, come autumn, all eyes will be on College Station. But drive about an hour east of Aggieland, and you might find something pretty remarkable.

You might find the state of Texas’ even-better chance to win a national championship.

As enthralled as everyone will be for the Aggies’ chase for a BCS National Championship, it’s Sam Houston State that may be the Lone Star State’s biggest title favorite.

Why? Here’s five reasons why Sam Houston State is the state’s best chance to win a championship.

1) They know what it takes
There are very, very few teams in college football history who have the kind of title game experience that the Bearkats have. Sam Houston State has reached the FCS championship game in each of the last two seasons, only to fall to North Dakota State in both title games. But that experience – making it through the FCS playoffs, playing in the biggest game on the biggest stage – should pay dividends come autumn. If anything, the lack of a championship should be a driving force for the team, not a hump they feel as if they can’t overcome.

2) The defense should be just as strong
Last season, the Bearkats allowed 21.4 points per game. That might sound a little high for a national runner-up, but consider that one of those games was at Baylor, and one of those games was at Texas A&M. Factor those two games (both losses) out, and the average tumbles to just 17.4 points allowed per game. And with five starters back from a year ago, led by DE Jarrett Brown, DT Gary Lorance and LB Jesse Beauchamp, and the return of star LB Eric Fieilo from an injury that cost him the entirety of the 2012 season, there’s reason to think that the unit can take a step forward. The secondary needs to come around, but overall, this is a strong unit that can guide the Bearkats to a title.

3) Coach Willie Fritz is really, really good
Folks who don’t pay attention to FCS football may not know coach Fritz, but there are very, very few coaches in Texas with his rιsumι. After turning around the football programs at both Blinn College (where he took a losing program to two national junior college titles) and Central Missouri (where he took a losing program and took them to a conference title), he came to Sam Houston State and, well, he’s been incredible. In 2011, he guided the Kats to their first unbeaten regular season in program history, and he’s led them to back-to-back Southland championships, earning FCS Coach of the Year honors in 2011 and Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year honors in 2012. Simply put, you could argue that Willie Fritz is the best coach in Texas that nobody’s talking about.

4) There’s plenty of weapons on offense
QB Brian Bell is back for his senior season, and he’s one of the most decorated players in Sam Houston State history. He’s already the program’s leader in passing yards, passing touchdowns and total offensive yards, and he has his eyes set on more records after throwing for 2,715 yards and 25 touchdowns a year ago. Richard Sincere is also back – high school football fans may remember him from his days as Galveston Ball’s dynamo. These days, he’s one of the most versatile weapons the Kats have, racking up 883 all-purpose yards a year ago. Then there’s guys like WR Chance Nelson, who caught nine touchdown passes last year, and Torrance Williams, who’s coming back from a knee injury. There’s weapons upon weapons upon weapons for the Bearkats.

Oh yeah, and…

5) They have Tim Flanders, the best player in FCS
RB Tim Flanders is incredible. The Oklahoma high school star is the back-to-back Southland Conference Player of the Year, and he already holds 34 SHSU school records. Barring something unforeseen, he’ll pass Claude Mathis (yes, the DeSoto coach Claude Mathis) as the Southland’s all-time leading rusher. He’s reliable, he’s explosive, he’s bruising, he’s quick-footed, he’s everything you want in a running back. And perhaps I have my Texas flag-colored glasses on, but I don’t think there’s a better player in the FCS this season than Tim Flanders. The two-time All-American can do it all, and with him on their team, the Bearkats are a threat to do big, big things.

So while we watch the 12 FBS teams chase their dream of a national title, keep an eye on the goings-on in Huntsville. After all, if a national championship trophy is going to reside in the state of Texas after the 2013 season, there’s a pretty good chance it’ll be in the Home of Sam Houston.

Sammy94
May 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I wonder if it's the same reason he had the last year.

It was for money last year. I have a feeling that we will have a new in conference schedule as well next year.

TheRevSFA
May 18th, 2013, 02:07 AM
It was for money last year. I have a feeling that we will have a new in conference schedule as well next year.

Sam isn't going to the sun belt.

katstrapper
May 19th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Sam isn't going to the sun belt.

SHSU isnt ready by any means to move up to FBS. Need facility upgrades and more money. My wish would be SHSU could find a better FCS conference to move too. Lower tier FBS doesnt excite me at all.

TheRevSFA
May 19th, 2013, 07:57 AM
SHSU isnt ready by any means to move up to FBS. Need facility upgrades and more money. My wish would be SHSU could find a better FCS conference to move too. Lower tier FBS doesnt excite me at all.

Exactly.

BEAR
May 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM

If you don't mind, what makes the SLC so weak that SAM should want to leave. Or what makes Sam such an awesome team and program that the SLC is beneath them. Or was that sarcasm. Because from what I've known about Sam since I started following the SLC there's nothing to justify moving to another conference more "competitive" than they can handle than the SLC, even with their recent but short success. xlolx

Texas
May 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM
It isn't a jab at UCA, but the new additions on top of the already lopsided conference is why we think that. Most Kat fans would love for UCA/McNeese/SFA to join a new conference.

Sent from my Nexus 4

BEAR
May 19th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I know you didn't mean UCA. But isn't every conference lopsided? The SLC has been dominated by McNeese in football until recently. I'm not sure in the other sports. I don't know how much competition these new schools will bring either. But what conference do you think Sam would fit in? Remember, Sam has to think about travel costs. Right now the SLC is pretty much affordable...well, more affordable than any other conference. Minus UCA all the way in Ark and ORU in Oklahoma. Sam doesn't have to go anywhere but Texas and Louisiana.

lionsrking2
May 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I know you didn't mean UCA. But isn't every conference lopsided? The SLC has been dominated by McNeese in football until recently. I'm not sure in the other sports. I don't know how much competition these new schools will bring either. But what conference do you think Sam would fit in? Remember, Sam has to think about travel costs. Right now the SLC is pretty much affordable...well, more affordable than any other conference. Minus UCA all the way in Ark and ORU in Oklahoma. Sam doesn't have to go anywhere but Texas and Louisiana.

The SLC will be fine as long as everybody stays put. Sam is trending strong right now, so is UCA, we're on the way up, McNeese is McNeese ... SFA had a down blip but are in position to rebound quickly ... Lamar has the budget, facilities and locale to be a factor at some point, possibly soon ... NW State should improve with their new staff ... Abilene Christian has plenty of tradition to bring to the league and should make their mark fairly quickly once they complete transition ... UIW and Houston Baptist are the wild cards ... both seem serious about putting resources into football, and given their locations, could be players once they get established ... Nicholls is having a rough go of it, but hopefully can get back to where they were a few years ago.

BEAR
May 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM
The SLC will be fine as long as everybody stays put. Sam is trending strong right now, so is UCA, we're on the way up, McNeese is McNeese ... SFA had a down blip but are in position to rebound quickly ... Lamar has the budget, facilities and locale to be a factor at some point, possibly soon ... NW State should improve with their new staff ... Abilene Christian has plenty of tradition to bring to the league and should make their mark fairly quickly once they complete transition ... UIW and Houston Baptist are the wild cards ... both seem serious about putting resources into football, and given their locations, could be players once they get established ... Nicholls is having a rough go of it, but hopefully can get back to where they were a few years ago.

Well said. A perspective some Sam fans could use it looks like. +1 to you!

Nickels
May 19th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I don't want to move up (yet); but if moving up keeps Fritz here, I think now is the time. If we don't move up and Fritz leaves, we missed our opportunity. Better too early than never at all.

Don't take it personal SLC. I don't want to play in the bible league.

Sammy94
May 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Don't get me wrong I would hate to move also but its going to happen. Maybe not this year or next but Sam will no longer be in the SLC in 3-5 years. The AD and the President of Sam are 100% behind a move perhaps the reason behind our scheduling issues.

TheRevSFA
May 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Then the AD and the President need to get some sort of marketing team involved and get you guys some attendance that isn't blue hairs from Elkins Lake and members of Katfans.com

Sammy94
May 20th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Then the AD and the President need to get some sort of marketing team involved and get you guys some attendance that isn't blue hairs from Elkins Lake and members of Katfans.com

I agree with a better marketing plan but we are a few years past just Katfans and blue hairs in the stands.

katstrapper
May 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM

SHSU marketing dept has a LLOOONNNGGG way to go. There is NO WAY this Ath Dept is ready!

BEAR
May 21st, 2013, 01:54 PM
I don't want to move up (yet); but if moving up keeps Fritz here, I think now is the time. If we don't move up and Fritz leaves, we missed our opportunity. Better too early than never at all.

Don't take it personal SLC. I don't want to play in the bible league.

Yeah..but I could think of worse..like the Sunbelt for example. A conference where everyone is getting out and NO-ONE has a shot at the national championship in any sport but maybe rugby.

katstrapper
May 22nd, 2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah..but I could think of worse..like the Sunbelt for example. A conference where everyone is getting out and NO-ONE has a shot at the national championship in any sport but maybe rugby.

AMEN!!

Bearkats94
May 22nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
SHSU marketing dept has a LLOOONNNGGG way to go. There is NO WAY this Ath Dept is ready!

A VERY LONG WAY to go. Two years in the playoffs with all home games the year before last and a few this passed year and we still can't fill Bowers. DING DING!!! Houston we have a problem.:o

BEAR
May 22nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
A VERY LONG WAY to go. Two years in the playoffs with all home games the year before last and a few this passed year and we still can't fill Bowers. DING DING!!! Houston we have a problem.:o

If you guys ever figure out the marketing thing...let us at UCA know. We try but our mindset is still small school. I wonder what school we can look at to "parrallel" on a much smaller budget...xlolx

BEAR
May 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Here's a cool angle on the Sam vs. UCA game......

John Studdard has had to compete for everything he’s earned in his football career. Coming from a family with an outstanding NFL pedigree, he has had to work even harder to make a name for himself.Being a 6’1 center, he proved to his doubters that size isn’t everything. His success with the Bulldogs got him more than just high praise from his coaches and teammates, it recently landed him a full-ride to Division 1 FCS school Central Arkansas.

against............

Studdard’s younger brother Jacob also plays football, redshirting as a linebacker in his first year at Sam Houston State; another team in the competitive Southland Conference. The two brothers will face off against each other in the final game of the season on November 23.

http://www.thehuttonews.com/sports/article_0485a414-c28a-11e2-b434-0019bb2963f4.html