PDA

View Full Version : NAU gave ASU fight

PSUVikings
September 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
did anyone watch that game? Awesome, great to see a Big Sky school perform like that, 14-14 going into the 4th

The Northern Arizona Lumberjacks are the most underrated team in Div-IAA

this sure does give hope to other fans of different Big sky schools, if NAU can stay with Zona.st, then Ican see Montana giving Iowa a fight and PSU WILL beat NM:D

LacesOut
September 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
How'd Eastern Washington and Sac State fair?? LMAO

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Obviously, you guys haven't been reading the scoring thread from last night. Most of the games have been well discussed over there. Northern Arizona flat out out-played Arizona State for three quarters before tiring in the fourth. ASU played DIRTY all night and knocked NAU's best receiver out of the game on the opening kickoff of the second half with a cheap shot late hit out of bounds. Watson had nearly 250 yards of all-purpose yardage and TDs catches for 80 and 60 yards by then. If he stays in the game, ASU most likely loses to NAU.

AZGrizFan
September 1st, 2006, 11:14 AM
How'd Eastern Washington and Sac State fair?? LMAO

Well, to be fair, Sac State's performance was expected, and OSU will probably roll all over ASU this year, so Eastern's performance wasn't out of the realm of possibility. Joker. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: ;)

elkmcc
September 1st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Obviously, you guys haven't been reading the scoring thread from last night. Most of the games have been well discussed over there. Northern Arizona flat out out-played Arizona State for three quarters before tiring in the fourth. ASU played DIRTY all night and knocked NAU's best receiver out of the game on the opening kickoff of the second half with a cheap shot late hit out of bounds. Watson had nearly 250 yards of all-purpose yardage and TDs catches for 80 and 60 yards by then. If he stays in the game, ASU most likely loses to NAU.

I was p.o.'d that this game wasn't broadcast here in Missoula. Instead I had to watch BC/Central MI and then Miss. St/S.Carolina. I did watch some of the Rhode Island/UCONN game but it was a blowout and couldn't keep my attention. Thanks for the scoop Mr. C. ESPN surely never mentioned the dirty play of ASU.

GtFllsGriz
September 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
I watched the whole game and was very impressed with NAU. Do not take them lightly! They look much improved over last year on both sides of the ball. I was not impressed with ASU. It appears that all the hype might have been just that.

Great game NAU! Sure glad we have you at home this year.

WYOBISONMAN
September 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM
Congrats to the Lumberjacks on a well played game!:hurray:

Retro
September 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM
It was clear that late in the game, the depth issue was killing NAU.. They were getting hurt and cramps and that seem to be when ASU took advantage of the game.. NAU and Murrieta did play great despite some questionable shots by ASU...

Obzerver
September 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM
Oregon State is not that good. EWU literally dropped the ball in this game. This is the worst I've seen EWU play in ten years. Much damage control is needed...at least we have West Virginia next week...In the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost...

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
I was p.o.'d that this game wasn't broadcast here in Missoula. Instead I had to watch BC/Central MI and then Miss. St/S.Carolina. I did watch some of the Rhode Island/UCONN game but it was a blowout and couldn't keep my attention. Thanks for the scoop Mr. C. ESPN surely never mentioned the dirty play of ASU.
Would you really expect ESPN to focus on something like that. They want to pump up a Top-25 team, not focus on their foibles.

Get the Dish Network Fox package, or the DirecTV Fox package and you'll see plenty of I-AA games. I saw NAU-ASU, EWU-OSU, Hofstra-Stony Brook and actually got to see URI-UConn a second time when I was doing some late night work and they showed a replay. The NAU-ASU and EWU-OSU games were also on XM Radio. It was a fun opening night.

elkmcc
September 1st, 2006, 04:27 PM
Oregon State is not that good. EWU literally dropped the ball in this game. This is the worst I've seen EWU play in ten years. Much damage control is needed...at least we have West Virginia next week...In the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost...

OMG

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM
I couldn't believe how bad that Eastern Washington looked, particularly the new QB.

West Virginia: Out of the frying pan and into the fire. There are going to be some P'Od Eagles by the time they play Central Washington.

Marcus Garvey
September 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM
I was a Sun Devils fan until about 2 weeks ago when Dirk Koetter's gross imcompetence regarding his QB situation became too much for me to stomach. I enjoyed the first 3 quarters of last nights game, however, I liked NAU's offense, but I wasn't overly impressed. Their two scores came on big plays that were the result of defensive break downs by Arizona St. They did move the ball fairly well against a I-A opponent, but nothing that made me jump up and think they'll be the best in the Big Sky.

Now defensively, I was throughly impressed with the Lumberjacks. That goal line stand in the 1st Quarter was awesome. ASU should have steamrolled into the endzone, but the 'Jacks stopped them cold. I they have a great shot at winning the Big Sky because of their defense!

grizband
September 1st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I couldn't believe how bad that Eastern Washington looked, particularly the new QB.

West Virginia: Out of the frying pan and into the fire. There are going to be some P'Od Eagles by the time they play Central Washington.
Speaking of EWU, when was the last time they were held under 100 passing yards in a game? (They only got 99 against OSU)

Mike Johnson
September 2nd, 2006, 01:50 AM
ESPN didn't show the game because Fox Sports had the right to it. I followed it on the ESPN Comcast or rather the third and part of the fourth quarters. I remember at the end of the third quarter and looking down the stats on ESPN that NAU had better stats in every category, but the score was tied. There were two turnovers to none (I don't remember, was that second turnover early in the fourth or late in the third?), a significant difference in time of possession like 27 to 18 minutes in favor of NAU. But a tied score.

IA teams tend to have the same advantage over IAA that IAA has over II and that is depth and better ability to adjust. I could see it happening, but was hoping it wouldn't. NAU should have had a higher score, given the better stats and the fact that they didn't, made me nervous that ASU would find a way to win. And then, that interception for a touchdown and NAU's failure to respond and I felt, this game is over.

Yes, NAU played well. Unfortunately, the final score doesn't make it look that way.

Cap'n Cat
September 2nd, 2006, 07:56 AM
NAU:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great showing.........

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
it may be a good year for nau if they can put up a showing like that in their big sky games.

wannabegaucho
September 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Dirk Koetter is the exact opposite of a class act. ASU are thugs.

I know EWU had a bad game, but I am buying the OSU kool-aid this year.

AZGrizFan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM

assuming that there's any of them left healthy enough to play.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Calilumber
September 3rd, 2006, 02:52 AM
NAU lacked only depth against ASU. The Big Sky is gonna have some real good teams this year. I lost a lot of respect for ASU last night, lots of cheap shots and no class.:nono: :nono: :nono: