PDA

View Full Version : Nice job Chattanooga!!!!

flexbone
September 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Just would like to say "Good Job" last night to UTC. Love to see SoCon teams beat up non-conference foes. Honestly, I wasn't so sure u would pull it off much less by such a margin. Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cocky
September 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Tech has had a lot of coaching problems this summer.

flexbone
September 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM
That is true but I'm looking at it strickly(?) from the UTC standpoint. The D gave up just 165 yards ( 59 rushing on 28 attempts!!! and 106 passing with 2 Int's) that is GREAT. My take is the better the non-Big3 do,all the better for our conference as a whole. :hurray:

Golden Eagle
September 1st, 2006, 10:28 AM
*grumbles* Well at least UTC looks to have a good team this year. We'll see if they can keep it going against actual competition.

JaxSinfonian
September 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM
2004: Tech 52, UTC 34
2005: UTC 30, Tech 23
2006: UTC 31, Tech 7

UTC is moving in the right direction. Tech is going downhill fast. Sounds like Buckley was amazing last night. I don't want to see him put up numbers like that against Jax State in November.

Interesting to note that the Mocs' score was about the same in each of the games noted above, while Tech went from blowout to no-show.

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Much of Rodney Allison's focus has been on improving the defense and it shows as well in those game scores as any measurement you could show. I've been telling people for two years that the Mocs are a team on the rise. They will get a stiffer challenge net week at Memphis, when they go up against Marvin Hankins and company.

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM
Was considering letting UTC sneak into my AGS poll pending results for some of the lower teams in my poll...

The win didn't go unnoticed...

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM
Was considering letting UTC sneak into my AGS poll pending results for some of the lower teams in my poll...

I'm watching them but will wait until I see how they do against SoCon competition. Tech appears to be in free fall and I don't know what to make of the size of the win.

OL FU
September 1st, 2006, 11:32 AM
Should not have to wait long the next three games should tell us much more.

Sat 9/9/2006 at Memphis Memphis, Tenn. 8:00 PM
Sat 9/16/2006 at Western Kentucky Bowling Green, Ky. 7:00 PM
Sat 9/23/2006 *vs Georgia Southern Chattanooga, Tenn. 6:00 PM

I don't expect them to beat Memphis but they should at least do better than last years whooping.

9/16/06 Should be interesting tough game away in the Gateway. :nod:

youwouldno
September 1st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Buckley is the real deal, and UTC has a lot of good players. But the QB position is still a bit of a question. Miller is supremely talented but he struggled last year... you wonder if he ever will really be an effective passer.

soweagle
September 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Is Buckley the running back that UTC signed about two years ago out of high school that was rated pretty high? I think the kid was from Cleveland,TN but I can't remember the name.

flexbone
September 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM

I'm glad they won - BUT I would not go as far to say they are a Top 25 Team. It would be GREAT if they could pull the upset next week against Western Kentucky. Like someone else said, if I'm a UTC fan, I'm waiting to see how they play within the conference before I get too excited. Nonetheless, Good way to start the season.

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks to all for taking notice of our little train riding birds (it is a nice feeling to come on to AGS and see a complimentary thread about us).

We had a blast up at Cookeville last night...the "D" looks further improved.

...the running game is the real deal (Buckley had 203 with 3 TDs in the FIRST HALF...before slightly twisting his ankle and sitting most of the 2nd half).

Eldra is somewhat of a sleeper (as much as a pre-season all-SoCon pick can be), but this is also the same kid that ran for 210 at Boone last season (and averaged 180 ypg in the last 3 games of the seasons in 2005).

He is definitely the real deal and next week he gets to go to Memphis...the school he spurned to go to the Mocs...ok, ok...what happened was he was set to go there, then DeAngelo Williams decided to stay for a senior year...Bucks (a juco from Miss) decided he wanted to play, not sit for a year, so he came to Chattanooga...and we thank him everyday for his choice! :)

QB Antonio Miller is still a bit of an unknown quantity. He definitely looked more comfortable, and he was 10-15 for 98 yards with no TD's...but also NO interceptions (his BIG problem last year)

As someone already alluded, the learning curve will be steep the next 3 weeks with games at Memphis and WKU...and the home opener with Georgia Southern.

But, for this week, all are happy in Mocland...we got a good road win against an instate rival, the running game is great, the "D" looks better...and outside fans are actually complimentary of the team!

Can't ask for anything more than that!

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM
I'm glad they won - BUT I would not go as far to say they are a Top 25 Team. It would be GREAT if they could pull the upset next week against Western Kentucky. Like someone else said, if I'm a UTC fan, I'm waiting to see how they play within the conference before I get too excited. Nonetheless, Good way to start the season.
UTC plays WKU in the third week of the season, after facing Memphis next week. I think a win over WKU is the key to Chattanooga's hopes of earning a playoff berth. The tough part is playing WKU on the road (a tough place to play, even if hardly any Hilltopper fans show up). I could see the Mocs going 8-3, if they can get past WKU.

Just read the UTC game recap, BTW. Eldra Buckley had 204 yards rushing, but dinged up one of his ankles. Don't know how bad his ankle sprain was.

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks to all for taking notice of our little train riding birds (it is a nice feeling to come on to AGS and see a complimentary thread about us).

We had a blast up at Cookeville last night...the "D" looks further improved.

...the running game is the real deal (Buckley had 203 with 3 TDs in the FIRST HALF...before slightly twisting his ankle and sitting most of the 2nd half).

Eldra is somewhat of a sleeper (as much as a pre-season all-SoCon pick can be), but this is also the same kid that ran for 210 at Boone last season (and averaged 180 ypg in the last 3 games of the seasons in 2005).

He is definitely the real deal and next week he gets to go to Memphis...the school he spurned to go to the Mocs...ok, ok...what happened was he was set to go there, then DeAngelo Williams decided to stay for a senior year...Bucks (a juco from Miss) decided he wanted to play, not sit for a year, so he came to Chattanooga...and we thank him everyday for his choice! :)

QB Antonio Miller is still a bit of an unknown quantity. He definitely looked more comfortable, and he was 10-15 for 98 yards with no TD's...but also NO interceptions (his BIG problem last year)

As someone already alluded, the learning curve will be steep the next 3 weeks with games at Memphis and WKU...and the home opener with Georgia Southern.

But, for this week, all are happy in Mocland...we got a good road win against an instate rival, the running game is great, the "D" looks better...and outside fans are actually complimentary of the team!

Can't ask for anything more than that!
Don't know that I'd call Eldra Buckley a sleeper. He was one of the best backs I saw last season. Strong, hard-nosed runner between the tackles and a workhorse. Glad to hear he wasn't hurt badly.

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM
Oh I agree, I just meant a sleeper from the standpoint that, unless you have seen him run in person (since he comes from an unranked school)...a lot of people are just starting to "discover" him.

I was/am hoping that after this effort on Thursday (at the half, he was only 32 yards short of the Mocs single game rushing record of 235...I have no doubt that record will fall sometime during the seasons), it might even get him on the Payton watch list.

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
As for his injury, Allison said after the game that is was nothing serious, just one of those "little things that happen when you run a hard as Eldra does"...and it is true, Bucks would run on a broken ankle if his team needed him.

I am sure it was also more of a precaution considering the "old school" astro-turf surface at Tech (BTW, in a very brief passing conversation I had with our Chancellor and their President (Robert Bell?) he was saying that they were going to replace the old turf with Field Turf next year...two thumbs up on that one!)

GaSouthern
September 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM
UTC's back is awesome, i'll leave it at that, cant wait to play at yall's place in three weeks!

WCU LawCat
September 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
maybe we should have picked a different team for homecomming...

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
maybe we should have picked a different team for homecomming...
The UTC-WCU game should be one of the best in the SoCon this season.

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM
As for his injury, Allison said after the game that is was nothing serious, just one of those "little things that happen when you run a hard as Eldra does"...and it is true, Bucks would run on a broken ankle if his team needed him.

I am sure it was also more of a precaution considering the "old school" astro-turf surface at Tech (BTW, in a very brief passing conversation I had with our Chancellor and their President (Robert Bell?) he was saying that they were going to replace the old turf with Field Turf next year...two thumbs up on that one!)
Can't believe that there are still people playing on that hard, old turf.

Buckley is easily one of the top 10 backs in I-AA and may work his way further up the list as the season moves on. Sounds like he had an amazing night. I was tempted to drive over to Cooksville for the game last night, but I had one of my cars in the shop. Would have liked to have seen the Mocs face-to-face.

Golden Eagle
September 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM

Yep, field turf. Would have been done this year but for a snag in getting the necessary funding.