PDA

View Full Version : QB Wasson Set to Start for Texas State

Freightliner
September 1st, 2006, 07:28 AM
He might not be Barrick Nealy...but he's got some things Barrick didnt have.

*courtesy Austin American Statesman*

SAN MARCOS — Chase Wasson thought he had mastered the game of football — until he arrived at Texas State University three years ago. But Wasson said he didn't know then how much work he would have to put in to become the Bobcats' starting quarterback.

"Back then, I thought everything was going to come easy, just like it did in high school," Wasson said. "But it's almost like you're starting all over again. Coming in as a freshman, you don't see it like that.

"I wasn't physically ready as a freshman. I thought I was, but obviously I'm a lot stronger and faster now."

Link to Rest of Story (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/09/01/1texstate.html)

blackfordpu
September 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM
He might not be Barrick Nealy...but he's got some things Barrick didnt have.

*courtesy Austin American Statesman*

SAN MARCOS — Chase Wasson thought he had mastered the game of football — until he arrived at Texas State University three years ago. But Wasson said he didn't know then how much work he would have to put in to become the Bobcats' starting quarterback.

"Back then, I thought everything was going to come easy, just like it did in high school," Wasson said. "But it's almost like you're starting all over again. Coming in as a freshman, you don't see it like that.

"I wasn't physically ready as a freshman. I thought I was, but obviously I'm a lot stronger and faster now."

Link to Rest of Story (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/09/01/1texstate.html)

Like what? He is probably a better passer, I'll give him that.

Hacker
September 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
He'll definitely give us a win over Sam Houston State for sure.

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM
He'll definitely give us a win over Sam Houston State for sure.

Surely didn't have his best performance against the Kats after Nealy got blown out of the water by Paul Donelson in 2004...

Chase Wasson's career stats against the Kats:

3 of 12 passing for 19 yards
6 carries for 65 yards

1 carry for 8 yards
2 receptions for 12 yards

Cat79
September 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Surely didn't have his best performance against the Kats after Nealy got blown out of the water by Paul Donelson in 2004...

Chase Wasson's career stats against the Kats:

3 of 12 passing for 19 yards
6 carries for 65 yards

1 carry for 8 yards
2 receptions for 12 yards

TT
Where did you get these statistics? Chase had a 71 yard touchdown pass against Baylor in 2004. I think you pulled that out of the air.:nono:

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2006, 06:48 PM
TT
Where did you get these statistics? Chase had a 71 yard touchdown pass against Baylor in 2004. I think you pulled that out of the air.:nono:

Cat79, your old age getting to you? J/K!

I was referring to Chase's game against SHSU, not any other squad...

2004:
http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2004-2005/game11.html

2005: http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/game11.html

HPCAT
September 1st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Oh, the trip to Huntsville is going to so sweet this year. TXST could quite easily have more fans than SHS.

The problem may be finding the 10 or so SHS fans that actually stay in town after the game to buy them a drink.

As any fan with class would do after embarassing the home team in front of at least 4-5K of their fans. :lmao:

beerkat
September 1st, 2006, 11:28 PM
every last one of you is freaking delusional, you'll go 6-5 this year at best, and by the end of the year everyone will be calling for poor little chase's head

Cat79
September 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM
Cat79, your old age getting to you? J/K!

I was referring to Chase's game against SHSU, not any other squad...

2004:
http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2004-2005/game11.html

2005: http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/game11.html

TT

I was at those games. He played very few minutes as QB against Sam. You need to pull your head out of your A--

bobcatfan06
September 2nd, 2006, 03:25 AM
every last one of you is freaking delusional, you'll go 6-5 this year at best, and by the end of the year everyone will be calling for poor little chase's head

Better be careful, your mouth is about to write a check your a## can't cash.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
TT, I was at those games. He played very few minutes as QB against Sam. You need to pull your head out of your A--

Did you check out the stats, 79? Apparently, he played enough time to go three of 12...and have six carries! He was in there for atleast 18 plays! You saw the links I provided, right? Has the stats in there, does it not? Come on, 79. I can't fluff you when there's legitimate stats provided by your institution on your athletic web site...

Wasson came in because Nealy got the crap knocked out of him by Paul Donelson. One of the most vicious hits I've ever seen. :bow:

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
More coverage of Chase Wasson, this time from the San Marcos Daily Record...discusses how he's always dealt with criticism because of his size and how he wants his play to speak volumes for itself...

Wasson is proving himself
By Randy Stevens
Sports Editor

San Marcos — Chase Wasson has heard it all before.

When he first started playing quarterback in youth football, people thought he was too short. When he moved from running back to quarterback at Southlake-Carroll, they said it again. And when he entered the college ranks, the same criticism followed, as Wasson’s lack of height kept him from signing on at a Division I-A university.

Now that he has assumed the starting role as the Texas State Bobcats’ starting signal-caller this season as a junior, he’s hearing it all over again.

At 5-feet, 11-inches, is Wasson really too short to be a college quarterback?

“That’s something I have dealt with my whole career and I guess it’s a chip on my shoulder I get to carry around,” said Wasson. “I just have to let my play speak for itself.”

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_243120231.html

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Seems Wasson was mediocre against the Div II Tarleton State Texans...

One poster on Bobcatfans, achtungpv said, "Chase is not a quarterback. 11/17 for 75 yds, INT, 2 sacks with a long of 15 yds. But, he ran for 82 & 2 TDs. He needs to move to receiver."

So, is Wasson one and done? Will Bailiff look to George?

Cat79
September 2nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
TT

It doesn't matter. The Sam Houston fans seem to support whoever we are playing against. Expect the same from us.:D

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
It doesn't matter. The Sam Houston fans seem to support whoever we are playing against. Expect the same from us.:D

I think the SHSU faithful is not too thrilled with the egos of many in the Bobcat nation, especially since you folks don't have anything to base it off of, just a 2005 run...granted there were some Kats who did the same thing after 2004, but they weren't realists. The Kats should be level-headed after experiencing 2001 and 2004, but also 2003 and 2005...

My take, I root for the SLC out of conference in any sport with rare exception, especially in mens' basketball where out of conference is so important to the rest of the conference, especially SHSU.

Ussually that rare exception is when they play Rice Univ, the one school outside of SHSU that I root for.

So, back to the QB situation...is there one?

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 2nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
I think the SHSU faithful is not too thrilled with the egos of many in the Bobcat nation, especially since you folks don't have anything to base it off of, just a 2005 run...granted there were some Kats who did the same thing after 2004, but they weren't realists. The Kats should be level-headed after experiencing 2001 and 2004, but also 2003 and 2005...

My take, I root for the SLC out of conference in any sport with rare exception, especially in mens' basketball where out of conference is so important to the rest of the conference, especially SHSU.

Ussually that rare exception is when they play Rice Univ, the one school outside of SHSU that I root for.

So, back to the QB situation...is there one?

IMO, there should be. The INT by Wasson was actually just a good play by the CB, but it was an INT none-the-less. George looked AWESOME in his debut. They're totally different QBs (one a more run-oriented one, another more of a pocket passer with some mobility), so who knows...But, this is only one game. Wasson is also the guy who almost led us to a win vs. Baylor, so who knows. Maybe it was just a poor game.

Cat79
September 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Bradley George is the real deal. That said Chase can fill a void. I think it was apparent tonight who the starting QB should be.:D

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Bradley George is the real deal. That said Chase can fill a void. I think it was apparent tonight who the starting QB should be.:D

So next question...do the Bobcat faithful think Wasson can be an active and successful player as a WR if he is moved over from QB?

Cat79
September 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
TT

Chase played WR the majority of last year. He did a tremendous job at:D WR.

darussian12
September 2nd, 2006, 11:06 PM
wassom was not impressive at all....wrote my schpiel in another thread but chase might not suck and prob doesnt but i dont see how bailiff can say chase is the for sure starter.