PDA

View Full Version : JMU or Liberty to Sun Belt?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2013, 02:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9115210/western-kentucky-hilltoppers-moving-conference-usa-source-says

Western Kentucky is leaving the Sun Belt to join Conference USA in 2014, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy on Saturday.

An official announcement is expected Monday.

Last week, ESPN reported Tulsa would leave C-USA for the soon-to-be-renamed Big East. That move is expected to be announced as early as Tuesday.

Tulsa and Western Kentucky will join their new conferences on July 1, 2014. Tulsa's move will give the soon-to-be-renamed Big East 11 members with Navy joining in 2015 as its 12th member.

The Hilltoppers will replace Tulsa and brings C-USA's membership back to 14 schools.

The leading expansion candidates for the Sun Belt to replace Western Kentucky are James Madison and Liberty, sources said.

That's a 7.9 on the FCS Richter scale.

appsfan
March 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I think JMU is the better add for the SBC, but based on their fan's chatter am concerned that they are ready/willing to move. I think Liberty would jump at the chance. I guess we will see in few weeks.

AppAlum2003
March 30th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I'd much rather have JMU come with us than the online diploma factory.

smallcollegefbfan
March 30th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I think JMU is the better add for the SBC, but based on their fan's chatter am concerned that they are ready/willing to move. I think Liberty would jump at the chance. I guess we will see in few weeks.

There is no "think" to it. I can tell you that Liberty 100% wants to go and will jump on any FBS offer. I think both schools would be great adds. Liberty has more money than they know what to do with. They are more financially ready than GSU and App St combined right now. JMU is a better football program so they are a good add. SBC should add both for sure. They have great facilities and the ability to compete well in the SBC.

SumItUp
March 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM
It could be both.

GlassOnion
March 30th, 2013, 03:20 PM
No biggie, just another top fcs team with the #2 avg attendance leaving. Nothing to see here, move along.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM
No biggie, just another top fcs team with the #2 avg attendance leaving. Nothing to see here, move along.

Their attendance has out performed their play on the field lately. JMU has been a very good FCS program but not an elite one.

GlassOnion
March 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Their attendance has out performed their play on the field lately. JMU has been a very good FCS program but not an elite one.

Theyre less than a decade removed from a NC, 2 years removed from a victory over Vtech, and average 24,000 a game.

JMU is an elite FCS team.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM

It's not so much that. It's: what is the CAA, or Big South, or both going to do if they jump.

GlassOnion
March 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM
It's not so much that. It's: what is the CAA, or Big South, or both going to do if they jump.

Doesnt matter. According to those on here, losing the top 2 in the Socon was negligable.

The FCS is so great, everyone is trying to get out.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Doesnt matter. According to those on here, losing the top 2 in the Socon was negligable.

The SoCon will survive without App and Georgia Southern. The makeup of the CAA without JMU or the Big South without Liberty is totally different.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Theyre less than a decade removed from a NC, 2 years removed from a victory over Vtech, and average 24,000 a game.

JMU is an elite FCS team.

We can beg to differ again. Granted I was referring more to the FCS "blue bloods".

With that said, I'd gladly take them in the American 12.

frozennorth
March 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM
why is it that it's always the lehigh fans saying the stupidest **** in these threads?

GlassOnion
March 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM
why is it that it's always the lehigh fans saying the stupidest **** in these threads?

Lol, you find out, let me know.

Redbirdz
March 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Jacksonville State much better fits the Sunbelt footprint and has good attendance in a great stadium.

rokamortis
March 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM

It's going to be interesting. I could see schools jumping between the CAA and SoCon depending on how everything plays out. There are also schools like Kennesaw and ETSU starting football that could easily be added. Both of those conferences should be fine. Either conference could pick up a school or two from the Big South and just leave the BSC decimated.

dgtw
March 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM

The FCS is so great, everyone is trying to get out.

Of course.ropping to seven football members is always a good thing for a conference, especially if your best hope for membership in the future are teams that don't currently exist.

dgtw
March 30th, 2013, 05:10 PM
This will be the sun Belt lineup for 2014

East
Appalachian State (Joined FBS in 2014)
Georgia Southern (Joined FBS in 2014)
Georgia State (Began play in 2010)
South Alabama (Began play in 2009)
Troy
TBA (Joined FBS in 2014)

West
Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana-Lafayette
Texas State (joined FBS in 2012)
Arkansas State
Idaho
New Mexico State

Sandlapper Spike
March 30th, 2013, 05:31 PM
It could be both.

Today's rumor is that Rice is headed to the former Big East, which would open up a spot in CUSA, which presumably would open up a spot in the Sun Belt.

Of course, first there would presumably be a battle royale for that CUSA spot...

Laker
March 30th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Today's rumor is that Rice is headed to the former Big East, which would open up a spot in CUSA, which presumably would open up a spot in the Sun Belt.

Of course, first there would presumably be a battle royale for that CUSA spot...

Rice? But they already have the Houston market? Why would they want them?

Sandlapper Spike
March 30th, 2013, 05:41 PM
A fair question. I have absolutely no idea.

SpeedkingATL
March 30th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I would love to see JMU in the Sunbelt as there is already a decent rivalry with App. Liberty would be okay as would Jacksonville State.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2013, 06:41 PM

It's one fan who has an agenda of forcing every Division I football team that's not in the B1G, SEC, Big XII, ACC or Pac-12 down to FCS.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Is that in addition to Tulsa or in replacement of Tulsa for some reason?

Or is it starting to appear possible that Navy will in fact not join the America 12 and they're just going for an all-CUSA conference plus UConn and Temple?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2013, 07:01 PM

The answer is college athletics has shed all reason.

AppAlum2003
March 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Wait, Scotty McGee graduated already right?

heath
March 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
the only thing holding JMU back is Coach Mickey Mouse.Until a coaching move is made,they will not be ready, but still could move up anyway.Great fan base and venue with a chance for more construction to increase attendance.Liberty has everything in place(still up in the air on Gill),but have looked so-so the last few years.(remember played with a freshman at QB last season)but just do not seem like a big boy fit.If anybody goes JMU looks like the best candidate.-Just find a new coach!xnodx

ccd494
March 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM

Maybe Tulane wants another educational institution that requires its graduates to be able to read.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 30th, 2013, 09:02 PM
the only thing holding JMU back is Coach Mickey Mouse.Until a coaching move is made,they will not be ready

Truth.

Engineer86
March 31st, 2013, 07:35 AM

Maybe because you can't understand it xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM
Any news from the WKU presser today?

ASUMountaineer
April 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Any news from the WKU presser today?

Press conference at 1:00 EST.

seantaylor
April 2nd, 2013, 03:04 AM
Nobody is taking the lunatics from Liberty.